Dr Martin Luther King saved this country

That is what I propose! Haven't you got that part yet? What you want is equality with a nudge. There are certain things we should just sort of ignore because the person is black and deserves a leg up. Who should get a pass on their behavior because of the color of their skin? Who? If Martin Luther King was white, and did exactly the same things, do you think this white guy deserves statues in his honor, a day named after him, every major city to have a street named after him, parades and the level of hero worship?

By all means, lets have a little equality here.

I could really give a fuck less what color Martin Luther King was, but you obviously do.

Making him into the mythic figure that has been done is wrong no matter what color he is.
If you look at it realistically without needing the crutch of racism, Herman Cain and Clarence Thomas were demonized for doing far less than King ever did. Where the hell were the black people when Herman Cain's political career was being railroaded into the gutter? Why didn't they step up and say "Knock this shit off"? Where were the black protests when Clarence Thomas was undergoing his own high tech lynching?

What happened? White liberals didn't give their permission?

Yeah...poor Clarence...he never did get that Supreme Court position, did he?

I'd love to tear down Nancy Pelosi...

We share the same ethnicity and I think shes evil... I'd throw the dictionary at that bitch..

I'd spit in her face...

I'd spit in her food..
And doing so you would prove what? That you have the manners of a petulant three year old?

Well what the fuck do you call OWS???

5-year-olds???

mistah nick,

you nevah finda woman and ahave child witha attitude lika this.

I could really give a fuck less what color Martin Luther King was, but you obviously do.

Making him into the mythic figure that has been done is wrong no matter what color he is.
If you look at it realistically without needing the crutch of racism, Herman Cain and Clarence Thomas were demonized for doing far less than King ever did. Where the hell were the black people when Herman Cain's political career was being railroaded into the gutter? Why didn't they step up and say "Knock this shit off"? Where were the black protests when Clarence Thomas was undergoing his own high tech lynching?

Your racism stinks.:doubt:

Can you discuss the subject without the racism crutch?

No.

Now you have an inkling of just how it happens that the word is rapidly losing whatever meaning it had. It is the last refuge of the intellectually bankrupt. Do you have it within you to defend the Great Man WITHOUT resorting to racism? You understand that using the word racist is designed to foreclose any further discussion of the subject or the issues. Thereafter, the discussion becomes one of defending one's self against the charge of racism. The uncomfortable subject is safely abandoned. It's the black equivalent of "So's yer old man".

This discussion at least is now foreclosed. You have nothing to say beyond "you're a racist".

Your racism stinks.:doubt:

Can you discuss the subject without the racism crutch?

No.

Now you have an inkling of just how it happens that the word is rapidly losing whatever meaning it had. It is the last refuge of the intellectually bankrupt. Do you have it within you to defend the Great Man WITHOUT resorting to racism? You understand that using the word racist is designed to foreclose any further discussion of the subject or the issues. Thereafter, the discussion becomes one of defending one's self against the charge of racism. The uncomfortable subject is safely abandoned. It's the black equivalent of "So's yer old man".

This discussion at least is now foreclosed. You have nothing to say beyond "you're a racist".

And you have nothing to say but Dr. King is a womanizer, drunk, went to sex parties etc etc etc you have said the same thing 10,000 times, maybe its a good thing that this conversation is over.

That is what I propose! Haven't you got that part yet? What you want is equality with a nudge. There are certain things we should just sort of ignore because the person is black and deserves a leg up. Who should get a pass on their behavior because of the color of their skin? Who? If Martin Luther King was white, and did exactly the same things, do you think this white guy deserves statues in his honor, a day named after him, every major city to have a street named after him, parades and the level of hero worship?

Did Clarence Thomas or Herman Cain have the FBI tapping their phone and bedroom trying to dig up dirt?

Cain and Thomas were running for public office. Dr King was what we like to call a community organizer. If the community Dr King was leading objected to his womanizing they could have selected a different leader. Thomas did end up on the Supreme Court while Cain, himself, chose to drop out of the race. If Cain thought that Republicans would vote for him and ignore his reputation of chasing white women, he could have stayed in the primaries

Perhaps if you compare what Dr. King did in advancing freedom, liberty and equality in this country instead of his alleged peccadilloes, you would finally understand why Dr. King is so widely admired. It seems to me that you want to concentrate on Dr. King's morality as described by FBI tapes and totally ignore his accomplishments as an American man of peace.

Cain was trying to make a buck in the pizza business. Hardly a calling that could elevate him to hero status. Thomas is a Conservative and a philanderer. He has not done the work Dr. King and the Civil Rights movement did to advance the equality of all Americans.

Your feeble comparisons do little to dispel the perception that your objections to Dr. King's message reveals a racist attitude at least and a contempt for equality of all men created by God at worst.

Perhaps if you compare what Dr. King did in advancing freedom, liberty and equality in this country instead of his alleged peccadilloes, you would finally understand why Dr. King is so widely admired. It seems to me that you want to concentrate on Dr. King's morality as described by FBI tapes and totally ignore his accomplishments as an American man of peace.

Cain was trying to make a buck in the pizza business. Hardly a calling that could elevate him to hero status. Thomas is a Conservative and a philanderer. He has not done the work Dr. King and the Civil Rights movement did to advance the equality of all Americans.

Your feeble comparisons do little to dispel the perception that your objections to Dr. King's message reveals a racist attitude at least and a contempt for equality of all men created by God at worst.

Thomas Jefferson had a black slave as a mistress. Does that negate the Declaration of Independence?

I gotta hand it to you. You tried.

I never objected to King's message, even if most of it was plagiarized. You gave it a good run.

Herman cain said no racism existed and that black people were brainwashed. Where were you rightwing dipshits to support your Uncle Tom ass Cain?

I gotta hand it to you. You tried.

I never objected to King's message, even if most of it was plagiarized. You gave it a good run.
Plagiarized? From whom? From what? Should Dr. King have credited the Declaration of Independence as a source? He did. Should Dr. King have cited Jesus of Nazareth as a source of inspiration? He did that too.

Are you saying Dr. King's message of equality and freedom lacked originality? Perhaps. There are still plenty of Americans who desperately need reminding that freedom and equality require constant vigilance and support lest they be lost to those who enjoy picking fly shit out of the ground pepper.

King was as loathed back then by many conservatives as President Barack Obama is now. But you watch..he will be claimed at some future time for embracing conservative "values".

lots of Democrats loathed the guy too Sallow.....i know....you just overlooked that....

Can you believe there were actually Democratic Conservatives back then?
you can say it RW,dont be scared........many Democrats dont like Black people....it is not just a Right wing Republican thing......

Dr King and all who engaged in the Civil Rights struggle were American Patriots

Sorry bout that,

1. Well Martin Luther had a great dream, but he also had a great squeeze.
2. She wasn't his wife.
3. That does effect his legacy.
4. Why is it, it seems all black men have a wandering eye?

Regards,
SirJamesofTexas

Last edited:
Blacks were considered to be dirty, diseased and sub human
MLK was a great man who did great things for his country by opposing violence. First of all, hyperbole like this and the rest of your piece is not only not necessary, but it undermines from the reality of what he did. Second, civil rights was coming, it would have happened with or without him. He deserves credit for making that less violent than it could have been. But again the hyperbole that he saved the country doesn't send the right message.

But a country that does not treat its citizens with respect is not a moral superpower

You mean unless they are rich or hard working...

I grew up in the 60's and saw most of the Civil Rights movement. Like most Americans, I was outraged at the assasination of Dr King. When we talked about giving him a national holiday ten years later, I looked at it as a form of appeasement for outraged blacks.....a way of giving them their own holiday to quiet them down.

In reading about the Civil Rights movement in subsequent years, I realized what a great American Dr King was. Black Americans came back after WWII to find that despite fighting and dying in defense of their country, they were still treated like lesser Americans. They found they were not allowed to mingle with whites, were not welcome in much of the country they had fought for. Blacks were considered to be dirty, diseased and sub human. Some whites were outraged at the thought of eating with blacks, using the same restrooms, riding on public transportation with them.

As black Americans began to protest their treatment in their own country they were met with harsh resistance from both white militants and governments who swore to support inequal treatment. Blacks were denied the right to vote, to freely associate, rights to a fair trial. Those who resisted were met with terrorist attacks. Lynchings, bombings, arrest and assasination of their leaders.

Most of us faced with such horrific treatment in our own homeland would fight violence with violence. How would you react if someone spat on your child for trying to go to school?

When the courts did not protect blacks, armed conflict would seem a reasonable response. Dr King knew violence would only result in more violence against you. He modeled the Civil Rights movement around Gandhis peaceful resistance theories. By using cameras to document the treatment of peaceful protestors he saved this country from an armed violent protest that would have destroyed this country.

America returned from WWII as an economic and military superpower. But a country that does not treat its citizens with respect is not a moral superpower. By changing the way we treat our citizens, Dr King, more importantly, saved our soul. By forcing us to look in a mirror and see who we really are, he enabled us to become a truly great country.

On this Martin Luther King day I hope everyone can reflect on what a great American he was and how much better off we all are

I admire the man and his works but no one person is bigger than the country so as to saving it? *shrugs*

as an aside, I think we owe him a better monument than the one they concocted, the sculpture/statue is, well, way harsh, I don't remember him scowling much, his disposition of was lighter than that despite the travails..... he was an optimist, you don't get that at all from the facial expression they set in stone.

to say he saved the country is a mockery of what he accomplished. he didn't save the country, he made the country a better place to live for all people, especially black people.

without him, the country would have survived.

hyperbole does not do this great man justice.

• Thanks
Reactions: kaz
I grew up in the 60's and saw most of the Civil Rights movement. Like most Americans, I was outraged at the assasination of Dr King. When we talked about giving him a national holiday ten years later, I looked at it as a form of appeasement for outraged blacks.....a way of giving them their own holiday to quiet them down.

In reading about the Civil Rights movement in subsequent years, I realized what a great American Dr King was. Black Americans came back after WWII to find that despite fighting and dying in defense of their country, they were still treated like lesser Americans. They found they were not allowed to mingle with whites, were not welcome in much of the country they had fought for. Blacks were considered to be dirty, diseased and sub human. Some whites were outraged at the thought of eating with blacks, using the same restrooms, riding on public transportation with them.

As black Americans began to protest their treatment in their own country they were met with harsh resistance from both white militants and governments who swore to support inequal treatment. Blacks were denied the right to vote, to freely associate, rights to a fair trial. Those who resisted were met with terrorist attacks. Lynchings, bombings, arrest and assasination of their leaders.

Most of us faced with such horrific treatment in our own homeland would fight violence with violence. How would you react if someone spat on your child for trying to go to school?

When the courts did not protect blacks, armed conflict would seem a reasonable response. Dr King knew violence would only result in more violence against you. He modeled the Civil Rights movement around Gandhis peaceful resistance theories. By using cameras to document the treatment of peaceful protestors he saved this country from an armed violent protest that would have destroyed this country.

America returned from WWII as an economic and military superpower. But a country that does not treat its citizens with respect is not a moral superpower. By changing the way we treat our citizens, Dr King, more importantly, saved our soul. By forcing us to look in a mirror and see who we really are, he enabled us to become a truly great country.

On this Martin Luther King day I hope everyone can reflect on what a great American he was and how much better off we all are
Tell us WHY the Democrats were AGAINST what MLK stood for? :eusa_whistle:

Forum List

Back