Explaining Conservatives

Somebody else called it a closed mind, not me. I simply pointed it out as it appears that most of the silly statements people are making about conservatives seem to include a reference to a closed mind.

As to the rest, who gives a crap. If you really think those things are what most conservatives care about....you must have some proof (as in comprehensive surveys) or you know a different type of conservative than I do.

I will admit that I have not actually tangled with you too much on this board, for all I know you might be somewhat less deranged and paranoid than some of the others who still live to be frightened and love to spread the paranoia among themselves like a bad case of lice. Look at the predominant tone of their posts, scared or angry seems to be their only two emotions. Do I have to remind you just how little critical thinking gets done while in these extreme emotional states? When I try to remind them that cool-headed courage should be the default emotional state of any freedom loving person they act as if I just have no clue. I cannot and do not live in fear and without fear all this conservative bullshit just looks like little children scaring each other for kicks.

Spare me the one-sided prattle.

There are plenty of non-thinking posters from the left on this board also.

They only spout what they've heard.

There is as much fear and crap from the left as there is from the right.

Addressing every issue in a logical way (as you suggest) generally means looking at the very basics. Conservatives and liberals appear to emphasize different objectives when considering the processes we have for government.

This business of yelling "you are a moron" (which I freely admit I do to those I think need it) is not going to accomplish much rational discussion.

But to think that one side does it more than the other is simply not supportable.

you have not supported you case with facts.

site some facts instead of prattling on

why does the right want to RELITIGATE exsisting laws all day long?

because they hate the American people getting what they vote for

"why does the right want to RELITIGATE exsisting laws all day long?"

So....you dug the Dred Scott decision?

You make this far too easy.

so how do you figure that the minimum wage laws is comparable to dred?

do you think you are about to repeal the minimum wage laws ?

So why didn't you want Dred Scott to be "RELITIGATED'?

I mean, really....why do you hate black folk?

Mistake, fishy.

We often agree, but I don't believe any should be on ignore.
In the marketplace of ideas, we, on the Right, have he better ideas, and win the debate.

We should answer lots of those we disagree with.
And often.

Last edited by a moderator:
Somebody else called it a closed mind, not me. I simply pointed it out as it appears that most of the silly statements people are making about conservatives seem to include a reference to a closed mind.

As to the rest, who gives a crap. If you really think those things are what most conservatives care about....you must have some proof (as in comprehensive surveys) or you know a different type of conservative than I do.

I will admit that I have not actually tangled with you too much on this board, for all I know you might be somewhat less deranged and paranoid than some of the others who still live to be frightened and love to spread the paranoia among themselves like a bad case of lice. Look at the predominant tone of their posts, scared or angry seems to be their only two emotions. Do I have to remind you just how little critical thinking gets done while in these extreme emotional states? When I try to remind them that cool-headed courage should be the default emotional state of any freedom loving person they act as if I just have no clue. I cannot and do not live in fear and without fear all this conservative bullshit just looks like little children scaring each other for kicks.

Addressing every issue in a logical way (as you suggest) generally means looking at the very basics. Conservatives and liberals appear to emphasize different objectives when considering the processes we have for government.

This business of yelling "you are a moron" (which I freely admit I do to those I think need it) is not going to accomplish much rational discussion.

But to think that one side does it more than the other is simply not supportable.

False equivalency does not really work in this case, the tea party and their willingness to run with the latest wild tale has cost conservatives a lot in terms of trying to convince people that they hold some kind of answer to our problems or that they even have the ability to distinguish reality from fantasy. Sure your guys won the house but in the end it may cost you everything.

How do we judge the nature of strangers, or those we know only in passing?

Simply by assuming them to be most like the individual we know the best. That is the measuring stick we use to estimate.
Hence, the old saying 'we can only judge others by ourselves.'

What would we do in similar circumstances, how would we act, what would we say?
That's human nature.

1. I find this most explicative when one on the other side of the political divide calls the other a liar.
I don't lie. But I have found that those who do so regularly are the quickest to jump to this accusation.

Nor is it a surprise to find that those on the Left, the Liberal folks, are the fastest on the draw in this respect.

2. Another character difference between the two political persuasions is individualism. It is one of the cornerstones of conservatism, and the 'sotto voce' of America's founding documents. We want to make our own decisions.

The other side seems to feel that we lack the capability, and they should do this for us. That's why Liberal folks leap to ban things that they don't like, and use judicial decree to overturn voter's opinions.

And that goes right back to judging others by ourselves.
Liberals must feel that they need experts to 'advise' them what the right things to do are.
When Liberals hear the words ‘studies show,’ or ‘experts say,’ they cease to ‘question authority.’

3. And speaking of judging others by oneself, it seems to me a constant calumny by Liberals that Rush Limbaugh and Fox News tell right-wingers, and conservatives what to think....but I never hear conservatives claiming that those on the Left are 'programmed' by the ubiquitous variations on MSNBC or the NYTimes that echo throughout our secular society.
Why is that?

Kinda sounds like the Left is trying to prevent the reality from becoming broadcast....i.e., they are the ones who march lock-step, following orders.

4. Another difference is preparation, knowledge,...or perhaps that related to item #3.
Conservatives know more about what's going on....in fact, if Liberals knew as many of the ingredients in a story as conservatives do, they'd probably be conservatives. Instead, when they're told things they didn't know, they shout "liar!"

Examples? Sure....

a. "Stephanopoulos appeared on The Sean Hannity Show and New York radio station WOR's The Steve Malzberg Show, where both Hannity and Malzberg suggested to Stephanopoulos that he ask Obama about Ayers."
Right-wing radio hosts suggested "damn good" Ayers question to Stephanopoulos day before Dem debate | Research | Media Matters for America
He didn't know about Ayers!!

b. CBS's Bob Schieffer on Sunday said the reason he didn't ask Attorney General Eric Holder about the New Black Panther Party voter intimidation case on last week's "Face the Nation" was because he didn't know about it.
Chatting with Howard Kurtz on CNN's "Reliable Sources," Schieffer said, "This all really became a story when the whistleblower came out and testified that he'd had to leave the Justice Department and so on. And, frankly, had I known about that, I would have asked the question."
His excuse?
"I was on vacation that week. This happened -- apparently, it got very little publicity. And, you know, I just didn't know about it" (video follows with transcript and commentary):
Bob Schieffer: What Black Panther Story? 'I Was on Vacation' - Fox Nation

c. Several Chicago readers and Twitterers report that ABC News anchor Charlie Gibson told WLS-AM Chicago talk show hosts Don Wade and Roma this morning that the reason he hasn’t covered the ACORN scandal is that he didn’t know about it.

“…Charlie Gibson on as their usual Tuesday morning guest. Don asked Charlie, why, after the senate last night voted to halt funding to ACORN and after three of those video tapes of ACORN employees helping the pimp and prostitute set up shop, there was no mention of it anywhere on the network news. Charlie gave out a most uncomfortable laugh and said that that was the first he heard of it!”
ABC’s Jake Tapper reported on the Census Bureau’s decision to drop ACORN from its data collection partnerships on Friday as a result of BigGovernment.com’s video stings.
Gibson also admitted to Don and Roma that he didn’t know about the Senate vote to de-fund ACORN.
Michelle Malkin | ACORN Watch: Charlie Gibson and the ostrich media; Update: Audio added «

Maybe the difference is just plain ol' laziness.

5. One more difference: insight- found more in the conservative camp than in the Liberal.
There was actually a study by Jonathan Haidt, a social psychologist at the University of Virginia who, until 2009, considered himself a partisan liberal.

"In “The Righteous Mind,” Haidt seeks to enrich liberalism, and political discourse generally, with a deeper awareness of human nature.
The hardest part, Haidt finds, is getting liberals to open their minds. Anecdotally, he reports that when he talks about authority, loyalty and sanctity, many people in the audience spurn these ideas as the seeds of racism, sexism and homophobia. And in a survey of 2,000 Americans, Haidt found that self-described liberals, especially those who called themselves “very liberal,” were worse at predicting the moral judgments of moderates and conservatives than moderates and conservatives were at predicting the moral judgments of liberals.

Liberals don’t understand conservative values. And they can’t recognize this failing, because they’re so convinced of their rationality, open-mindedness and enlightenment."
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/03/25/bo...anted=all&_r=0

Sadly, it is much easier in our milieu to be a Liberal than a conservative, and perhaps because there are so many more of 'em, it even takes an extra dollop of courage to be a conservative...

And....in judging others by ourselves....
.... we end up being governed by ineptitude personified.

332-206....Romney didnt even make a concession speech...so much for knowing anything.

And, this responds exactly how to the OP, Ms Truthmatters....?

Ooop! So sorry....I do get you two confused due to the similarity in presentations.

TM is a blurter who doesn't know the truth.

candycorn is a liar who blurts.

candycorn = human waste that crept out of the sewer.

put fluke on ignore. If enough of us do that she/he/it will go away.

Mistake, fishy.

In the marketplace of ideas, we, on the Right, have he better ideas, and win the debate.

And often.

Then why do you refuse to comment on the court documented evidence that goes right up to the SCOTUS which proves the republican party has cheated in elections for decades?

False equivalency does not really work in this case, the tea party and their willingness to run with the latest wild tale has cost conservatives a lot in terms of trying to convince people that they hold some kind of answer to our problems or that they even have the ability to distinguish reality from fantasy. Sure your guys won the house but in the end it may cost you everything.

False equivalency as in the Tea Party = Conservatives.

Or were you somehow forgetting that Obamacare does not have the left in a very good position ?

Neither one matters right now as it won't be until the summer that we know what the real impacts of either one are.

"why does the right want to RELITIGATE exsisting laws all day long?"

So....you dug the Dred Scott decision?

You make this far too easy.

so how do you figure that the minimum wage laws is comparable to dred?

do you think you are about to repeal the minimum wage laws ?

So why didn't you want Dred Scott to be "RELITIGATED'?

I mean, really....why do you hate black folk?

where did I say what you claim?

what is the constitutional basis for the minimum wage being just like dred?

what makes the minimum wage unconstitutional?

was dred deemed unconstitutional?

Or were you somehow forgetting that Obamacare does not have the left in a very good position ?

Neither one matters right now as it won't be until the summer that we know what the real impacts of either one are.

We'll see, in the meantime I miss the old MIC/GOP where one could at least understand their motivation and praise them for keeping the worst loons outside their tent. Not sure what these TP people want other than NObama. Not sure they have even thought any further than that.

As to Tea Party = conservatives, You become known by your most vocal spokesmen, if there is a distinction then you people better make it known. It wouldn't really hurt my feelings if republicans spent a few election cycles in the minority thinking about what they have done to fuck themselves.

We'll see, in the meantime I miss the old MIC/GOP where one could at least understand their motivation and praise them for keeping the worst loons outside their tent. Not sure what these TP people want other than NObama. Not sure they have even thought any further than that.

As to Tea Party = conservatives, You become known by your most vocal spokesmen, if there is a distinction then you people better make it known. It wouldn't really hurt my feelings if republicans spent a few election cycles in the minority thinking about what they have done to fuck themselves.

Again, I'll go back to my earlier comment that you first have to define your objectives and consider them in terms of the political process.

I hold no ill will against the Tea Party. They are doing what they feel is right. They are, for the most part, rational. However, just like Al Sharpton & Ed Shultz (in your words...defines the side) are not in the majority....you still have to deal with the whackjobs.

I would suggest you consider how, after 2008, the left was calling the GOP dead. In the words of many pundits....it would be ten years before they gained control of anything. And I could not see that they were not correct. The GOP had really screwed up. But within two years, Obama and Co. gave the GOP back the house and would have lost the senate but for the want of a few better candidates. So I think "f**king yourself" is a shoe both sides can consider.

put fluke on ignore. If enough of us do that she/he/it will go away.

Mistake, fishy.

And often.

Then why do you refuse to comment on the court documented evidence that goes right up to the SCOTUS which proves the republican party has cheated in elections for decades?

You know very well that I don't ignore you....

....I adore you!

How are you going to raise the incomes of most Americans?

your so concerned about it whats your fix beautiful blonde woman who wears Jesus like a piece of flair?

Im not going to raise the income of most Americans. My job is to raise my own income. Just like everyone else is responsible for raising their own. Only a complete fool would depend on politicians to raise their income.

Your forgetting FACTS

you see this country has a thing called the minimum wage.

its been voted on and everything already.

The American people like having a minimum wage.

Its law of the land.

so that means the American people DO NOT AGREE with your idea of not controling the wages of workers.

YOU LOSE

How have i lost anything because it's foolish to rely on politicians to get more money?

Transcript of Mitt Romneys concession speech here:

4http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/OTUS/mitt-romneys-concession-speech-transcript/story?id=17664448

So much for knowing anything!
my. bad...he didnt prepare a concession speech because he just knew he was going to win....they had to look up Bush I 's.

I was just about to send rep after reading the first two words...it would have been the honorable post.

Too bad you had to continue.....

Honor...coming from you? Now that's a laugh.

332-206....Romney didnt even make a concession speech...so much for knowing anything.

And, this responds exactly how to the OP, Ms Truthmatters....?

Ooop! So sorry....I do get you two confused due to the similarity in presentations.

TM is a blurter who doesn't know the truth.

candycorn is a liar who blurts.

You're a sexist racist who feels you're a credit to your Party. 332-206 whispers more loudly than your shouts of hatred.

Forum List

Back