Fact check: Reporter on CNN busts open new ad lie. Wife had iinsurance.

Wow. The woman (the wife) in question had her own insurance even after this man was laid off at Bain.

It's a complete and utter lie.

Financially, I am sure his being laid off did not help the problem, and no one knows if her insurance dropped her when she got sick as they usually do.
If she had had Obamacare she would have got pre screening and got early treatment.

Well thanks for admitting that you think it is ok to Lie about someone with out proof, as long as they are running for President.

lol

What lie have I told or backed?

This one:

Joe Soptic stated:

"When Mitt Romney and Bain closed the plant, I lost my health care, and my family lost their health care." And a short time after that my wife became ill." “She went to the hospital for pneumonia,” the story states, “but doctors found signs of very advanced cancer, and she died two weeks later on June 22.”

I see two blatant lies in the very first two sentences. His family did not lose their health care when Bain closed the plant, and his wife continued working for either a year of two at a job where the family had health insurance and that is not exactly a "short time later." And the timeline Soptic uses implies that his wife died 22 days after he lost his job.

But in an interview with CNN, Soptic said that when he lost his job at GS Industries in 2001, his wife still had health insurance through her job as an employee at Savers, a local thrift store. He told CNN that she left her job in 2002 or 2003 because of an injury, and that she then became uninsured because she didn’t have a fall-back insurance option through his employer.

According to the Kansas City Star, Ranae Soptic, 55, died in 2006, five years after the GS Industries plant was closed.

FactCheck.org : Is Romney to Blame for Cancer Death?

HOW long do you suppose she had cancer? Pre screening could have save here and Saver's coverage? What did it cover? How could they pay for 'fall back' insurance option cost. Remember her husband lost his job.

What lie have I told or backed?

This one:

Joe Soptic stated:

I see two blatant lies in the very first two sentences. His family did not lose their health care when Bain closed the plant, and his wife continued working for either a year of two at a job where the family had health insurance and that is not exactly a "short time later." And the timeline Soptic uses implies that his wife died 22 days after he lost his job.

But in an interview with CNN, Soptic said that when he lost his job at GS Industries in 2001, his wife still had health insurance through her job as an employee at Savers, a local thrift store. He told CNN that she left her job in 2002 or 2003 because of an injury, and that she then became uninsured because she didn’t have a fall-back insurance option through his employer.

According to the Kansas City Star, Ranae Soptic, 55, died in 2006, five years after the GS Industries plant was closed.

FactCheck.org : Is Romney to Blame for Cancer Death?

HOW long do you suppose she had cancer? Pre screening could have save here and Saver's coverage? What did it cover? How could they pay for 'fall back' insurance option cost. Remember her husband lost his job.

Yes he lost his job. But not under Romney. GS Industries closed his plant. And then he got another job as a janitor AND he had a pension from the steel mill and he said that he couldn't afford health care for his wife.

Only himself. The man is a disgusting piece of shit for using the death of his wife to smear Romney all to get Obama re-elected.

You can't spin this one. The dems are nailed to the freaking wall caught out in these lies.

Oh and if anyone wants to continue to blame Bain even though it was GS Industries who shut down this plant, guess who was head of Bain at the time of the plant closure?

One of Obama's top campaign donation bundlers. Jonathan Lavine. He was head of Bain at the time.

Democrats are screwed every which way but loose on this deceptive advertisement.

Wow. The woman (the wife) in question had her own insurance even after this man was laid off at Bain.

So speaks someone without insurance.

When Right Wingers talk about insurance, you can spot the ones that don't have any. This may come as a "shock", but insurance doesn't cover everything. In fact, there are times when the husband's company and the wife's company will cover everything because even though both are covered, there is a 50/50 split between insurance companies.

For instance, a family who has a premature baby might cost a half million. The guy has co-pays that leave him with 20% of the cost. That's a hundred thousand dollars or more depending on how much medicine and therapy is covered.

For a family living on $40,000.00 a year, what's the difference between a hundred thousand, two hundred thousand or the whole half million. They'll have to go bankrupt anyway (this is where Republicans cheer).

So when people say "covered", it's only a matter of perspective. They may have insurance but are not really covered at all.

Yup its 100% dishonest and false.

Too bad, I'm sure Romney's wife thinks Romney is sensitive to people with cancer, after all he stood by her side as she battled breast cancer.

We shouldn't go after this guy or his dead wife though, the anger and vitriol should be directed at the source of the dishonesty....the obama admin (someone in the whitehouse is on tape talking to this man about it before the ad came out) and the super pac that ran the ad.

Last edited:
Obama's people can try saying they knew nothing and didnt work with super PAC that made the ad, but again... that would be a lie.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wownVt-HYgE]Obama Spokeswoman Says Campaign Knew Nothing About Priorities USA Ad - YouTube[/ame]

Man In Super PAC Ad Starred In Controversial Obama Ad - Joe Soptic - Fox Nation

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=34ag4nkSh7Q]I See Nothing - Sgt Schultz - YouTube[/ame]

Its usually the lie to cover up a smaller half truth that causes the most trouble...

When Right Wingers talk about insurance, you can spot the ones that don't have any. This may come as a "shock", but insurance doesn't cover everything. In fact, there are times when the husband's company and the wife's company will cover everything because even though both are covered, there is a 50/50 split between insurance companies.

For instance, a family who has a premature baby might cost a half million. The guy has co-pays that leave him with 20% of the cost. That's a hundred thousand dollars or more depending on how much medicine and therapy is covered.

For a family living on $40,000.00 a year, what's the difference between a hundred thousand, two hundred thousand or the whole half million. They'll have to go bankrupt anyway (this is where Republicans cheer).

So when people say "covered", it's only a matter of perspective. They may have insurance but are not really covered at all.

Right wingers with insurance will read the above statement and say, "Oh, of course, I knew that". Republicans without insurance will say, "Oh no. More babbling".

When you understand how it works, the obvious question becomes, "How many think they are covered and aren't?"

Last edited by a moderator:

Right wingers with insurance will read the above statement and say, "Oh, of course, I knew that". Republicans without insurance will say, "Oh no. More babbling".

When you understand how it works, the obvious question becomes, "How many think they are covered and aren't?"

There's more than just one lie involved in the lying ad. And now Team Obama has been caught out lying about the lying ad.

Too bad, I'm sure Romney's wife thinks Romney is sensitive to people with cancer, after all he stood by her side as she battled breast cancer.

We shouldn't go after this guy or his dead wife though, the anger and vitriol should be directed at the source of the dishonesty....the obama admin (someone in the whitehouse is on tape talking to this man about it before the ad came out) and the super pac that ran the ad.

With all due respect, the man has consistently lied about Bain, Romney and his wife's demise.

Do I feel sorry for him because he lost his wife to cancer? Most certainly. I lost my Mom, Dad, Baba and Gido to cancer.

But I don't argue health care issues in Canada or try to elect my Prime Minister by lying about how they died or using their deaths to further a political goal.

We come back to Joe Soptic lied. Lied big. Lied a whopper of a whopper all to re-elect Obama.

It has to be said. I don't care that it might hurt his feelings. It has to be said that the man knowingly in two commercials lied his ass off.

Oh Team Obama is dead in the water for all their lies about the lying ad. They most definitely were in collusion with the superpac on this ad.

With all due respect, the man has consistently lied about Bain, Romney and his wife's demise.

Do I feel sorry for him because he lost his wife to cancer? Most certainly. I lost my Mom, Dad, Baba and Gido to cancer.

But I don't argue health care issues in Canada or try to elect my Prime Minister by lying about how they died or using their deaths to further a political goal.

We come back to Joe Soptic lied. Lied big. Lied a whopper of a whopper all to re-elect Obama.

It has to be said. I don't care that it might hurt his feelings. It has to be said that the man knowingly in two commercials lied his ass off.

Since he worked there for many years, I suspect he's telling the truth. How long did you work there?

There's more than just one lie involved in the lying ad. And now Team Obama has been caught out lying about the lying ad.

Don't keep us hanging. List them.

No one is turned away from the emergency room. Its the law.

Yeah and it why healthcare is so expensive

Is that an admission that people don't die from lack of healthcare?

The cost of healthcare is nothing compared to what it will be when we taxpayers start buying health insurance policies for 50 million more people.

People do die, due to a lack of healthcare. People's morbidity with many diseases increases due to lack of healthcare. People have died because of insurance companies denying reasonable claims. The CBO analysis finds that the healthcare reform laws will actually save money. No more free rides at the emergency room.

Oh and if anyone wants to continue to blame Bain even though it was GS Industries who shut down this plant, guess who was head of Bain at the time of the plant closure?

One of Obama's top campaign donation bundlers. Jonathan Lavine. He was head of Bain at the time.

Democrats are screwed every which way but loose on this deceptive advertisement.

It was Bain who saddled them with debt, in the form of preferred stock, got their money back with a huge profit, with loanshark type rates, that caused the company to fail. And yes, Romney was there and active when they pulled their mafia style bustout.

Last edited:

It was Bain who saddled them with debt, in the form of preferred stock, got their money back with a huge profit, with loanshark type rates, that caused the company to fail. And yes, Romney was there and active when they pulled their mafia style bustout.

Oh heck he just held on to his job a couple more years when Bain came in. He could have lost everything much sooner, they just prolonged the closing of the plant making all those people have jobs. What a piece of crap Bain is. :cuckoo:

Last edited:

Since he worked there for many years, I suspect he's telling the truth. How long did you work there?

His lies have been busted wide open by the media on every level. We're talking CNN right across the board. His wife had insurance for at least 2 years after his mill was shut down.
And it was GS industries who shut down the mill. And Romney wasn't even at Bain when they are making this claim.

AND he got a pension from the closure. Need I go on. It's all a lie.

Busted by liberal media right across the board to the right wing media. Busted.

How many links do you need? I've got a ton.

Except you have no proof, just your silly speculation, making you the liar. It's illegal to coordinate a federal campaign with outside groups. Romney, otoh, has been to several gatherings with the Koch brothers, who also fund several outside PACs.

Except you have no proof, just your silly speculation, making you the liar. It's illegal to coordinate a federal campaign with outside groups. Romney, otoh, has been to several gatherings with the Koch brothers, who also fund several outside PACs.

Yea, that poor guy had to work at that dirty steel mill way longer than he should have. It could have just shut down sooner if Bain hadn't been there.

Forum List

Back