Florida to teach the positive aspects of slavery in Black history

Why are we supposed to teach racial harmony and tolerance? We need to go back to teaching the three Rs.
Because we live in a country with multiple racial groups, buddy. I agree the primary focus should be on "the three Rs"...but living alongside people with different cultures should be part of it, imho...because schooling should be about creating informed & well adjusted citizens.

Exactly. Just because DeSantis backs this new educational version of slavery doesn't mean he has read it.
I’m sure you know more than the historical scholars that are cited.. and I’m sure Florida schools don’t condemn slavery whatsoever.. LMAO

History is always complex. It’s the ones that simplify it to bumper stickers that are always wrong.

Desantis is pro slavery and teaching just that,
trolls-have-serious-S.jpg

This whining and complaining is typical liberal behavior. In the 1800s and early 1900s we realized indian children weren't getting an adequate education. So we gave them a free education in new boarding schools that were built. Liberals do nothing but criticize their own country.
OH MY GOD, please forgive their total ignorance.

Hey guys, let’s all just ignore Tommy Tainant Noone can be this obtuse naturally. Stop wasting your time.. I’m already adding to the ignore list. I like discussions with people i disagree with, but this guy cannot say a sentence that isnt verifiably false.

Newly approved academic standards from Florida’s Board of Education will require middle schools to teach that enslaved people "developed skills which, in some instances, could be applied for their personal benefit" — a line that has ignited significant controversy among teachers' groups.

The standards, which were approved Wednesday, come in response to the state's 2022 "Stop WOKE Act," which stated that race must be taught in "an objective manner" that does not "indoctrinate or persuade students to a particular point of view." The measure pushed far-right lawmakers' rhetoric that teaching Black history makes White people feel ashamed, instructing that no student should be made to feel "guilt" or "responsibility" for actions previously committed by members of the same race.

In a state where the citizens describe mask mandates as "slavery" they take a very charitable view of actual slavery. It seems that chains and whips and rapings were misunderstood. They were actually programmes that helped black people become more useful slaves.

Its a novel approach to history but I suspect that the usual suspects will sieze on this and interpret it as Gov DeSantis being some sort of fascist.

People can be unkind in that regard.

Blacks were banned from learning to read. Slavery denied them any rights to learn. Which black scientists did slavery produce ?
Only in some cases they were banned. However can't you learn a skill that does not require reading?

Essentially this is the case Democrats make. That a. Blacks can't learn to read b. Can't know a skill c. Never should have been freed due to not knowing how to take care of themselves.

The creators of the curriculum were two Black PhDs, and no such lie was advanced.

Read the entire thread before responding, and perhaps you won't appear quite so foolish.

Are you of the insane opinion that the two Black PhDs whose ACTUAL, non-racist curriculum has been discussed upthread are White supremacists?
Conservatives attempting to defend the lie that enslaved Americans somehow ‘benefited’ from being in bondage is yet another example of how bold conservatives have become in expressing their racism and hate.

Conservatives embracing this racist revisionism is nothing new, of course; conservatives can’t seek to demonize and vilify black Americans if there are factual and current accounts of how Americans of color were disadvantages the consequence of slavery, Black Codes, Jim Crow, segregation, and the rightwing racism that exists today.

This curriculum, written by two Black PhDs, includes information about the skills applied and developed by enslaved Africans to better their circumstances.

That's it.

Full stop.
Wrong.

Blacks are perfectly capable of being racist, reprehensible, and wrong.

The race of whomever contrived the lie that enslaved Americans somehow ‘benefited’ from slavery is irrelevant.

What is relevant is how conservatives embrace and propagate the lie to justify the right’s agenda of racism and hate.

I was mainly speaking on the benefits blacks gained from being enslaved i.e. trade skills & the like. I do not think making that the focus would be all that beneficial. It should be talked about if brought up, say if a student asks...but I don't think most black kids in school will find that as a positive, they will still be thinking: " So what? Slavery was wrong"...which is true...I think if one of the goals of education is to foster racial harmony & tolerance...focusing on the benefits gained from slavery isn't the way to go.
Why would blacks see slavery as wrong? They got used to it in Africa. They got used to it in the Caribbean. They expected to be slaves.

What cracks me up is those screaming for blacks to be freed did not give a damn if they had skills or not. But the owners understood they had skills. Those in VA, head to Mt. Vernon and see all the skills those slaves learned. Same with Monticello. Check out what slaves made from pieces of steel.

Conservatives attempting to defend the lie that enslaved Americans somehow ‘benefited’ from being in bondage is yet another example of how bold conservatives have become in expressing their racism and hate.

Conservatives embracing this racist revisionism is nothing new, of course; conservatives can’t seek to demonize and vilify black Americans if there are factual and current accounts of how Americans of color were disadvantages the consequence of slavery, Black Codes, Jim Crow, segregation, and the rightwing racism that exists today.
So your theory is blacks were dumb, stupid and had no fucking idea how to survive? Because they had no skills?

Why would blacks see slavery as wrong? They got used to it in Africa. They got used to it in the Caribbean. They expected to be slaves.

What cracks me up is those screaming for blacks to be freed did not give a damn if they had skills or not. But the owners understood they had skills. Those in VA, head to Mt. Vernon and see all the skills those slaves learned. Same with Monticello. Check out what slaves made from pieces of steel.
Blacks in America today are definitely not accustomed to slavery. The fact they descend from slaves just angers them for the most part. Maybe blacks in western Africa might be accustomed to it, it never ended there...but American blacks aren't accustomed to it.

Forum List

Back