For all the Bigoted Bakers, Fanatical Florists and Pharisee Photographers

You cannot discriminate against a protected class, which happens to include religion. You can certainly refuse as you please, but you will be in violation of the Oregon law and subject to the same penalties.

If I refused them access to my product, that would be discrimination according to the Oregon law. Controlling my product is not.

If refusing to write "Congratulations Monica and Denise" on a wedding cake is discrimination, how is refusing to write "Homosexuality is an abomination, sayeth the Lord" on a poster not discrimination?

Absolutely nothing wrong with saying you don't do writings on cakes. You don't have to do that. That is your choice as a business owner. What isn't your choice is restricting who is allowed to purchase your product.

But they do writings on cakes, just as the graphic artist does writing on posters. It is just that neither wants to do the particular writing. I notice you didn't answer my question. Why is one discrimination and the other isn't?

I already explained it to you. Refusing to write a certain phrase on a cake or whatever is not discriminating against a group of people. Refusing to provide your services to a certain group of people is discrimination.

A graphic artist who refuses to print words on a poster for a client is refusing services to that client. Religion is, I repeat, a protected class. It is discrimination even when people you agree with do it.

Christians will just have to develop an underground network of services only available to Christians. The old Soviet Union had many such underground networks.

The provider will have an array of services publicly available, the public can make their choices from those.

How does compelling bakers to serve gays deprive Christians of services to start with?

"protecting" nothing but hurt feelings in this case, not actual harm.

You fainting flowers seem to be all big and tough when government does your dirty work, but being told "i'm sorry, we don't provide service X, please go to someone else" ZOMG, the vapors!!!!!

They didn't say, "We don't provide service X".

They said, "We don't provide service X TO YOU because our Magic Man in the sky says you are an abomination and are going to burn in hell!"

That kind of ignorance needs to be slapped down.. Hard.

Jew's can't go into parks: sorry that's the law
Blacks have to use separate water fountains: sorry, that's the law
Buggery is illegal, sorry that's the law.

All of these laws were wrong at one time, so your appeal to authority is just that, appeal to the law without wanting to discuss the purpose and rightness of the law.

Why stop at Christians? HOw about, anyone can refuse to do work they don't want to do with no consequences?

Seems to me that you are whining these Christians face what most of us have to deal with every day. Having to put up with people we don't like to get a paycheck.

How about if they come around and make you choose between your morals and your livelihood?

most of us have to do that every day.

So basically "follow MY moral code, and everything is OK"

It's easy to say you support "freedom" when you think it only means freedoms you agree with.

No, it's "Follow the law" and everything is okay.

These backwards ass Christian Bigots have the freedom to close their doors and never have to deal with the scary lesbians.

If you take my car, I suffer harm. If my feelings are hurt but I still get the product I want with minimal additional effort, I am not harmed, or at least harmed much much less than someone facing a "bake or go away" choice that is an affront to their personal moral code.

Then they should have opened their bakery in one of the 31 states that doesn't include sexual orientation as a covered group by the PA Laws.

If you take my car, I suffer harm. If my feelings are hurt but I still get the product I want with minimal additional effort, I am not harmed, or at least harmed much much less than someone facing a "bake or go away" choice that is an affront to their personal moral code.

Then they should have opened their bakery in one of the 31 states that doesn't include sexual orientation as a covered group by the PA Laws.
What if they live and have family in Oregon?

Joe, if you were a gay graphic designer specializing in billboards and a Christian popped in to ask you to print a "Homosexuality is a sin against God" billboard for a busy highway, and you turned them down on principle JUST for that order (they'd been in your shop before ordering "puppies are cute" and "gas and food next right" billboards before), would the Christians then have the right to sue you for discriminating against their 1st Amendment civil right to freedom of religion? The PA law in Oregon says business owners cannot discriminate against customers' civil rights. All of them. Not just your favorites.

You cannot discriminate against a protected class, which happens to include religion. You can certainly refuse as you please, but you will be in violation of the Oregon law and subject to the same penalties.

If I refused them access to my product, that would be discrimination according to the Oregon law. Controlling my product is not.

If refusing to write "Congratulations Monica and Denise" on a wedding cake is discrimination, how is refusing to write "Homosexuality is an abomination, sayeth the Lord" on a poster not discrimination?

Absolutely nothing wrong with saying you don't do writings on cakes. You don't have to do that. That is your choice as a business owner. What isn't your choice is restricting who is allowed to purchase your product.

But they do writings on cakes, just as the graphic artist does writing on posters. It is just that neither wants to do the particular writing. I notice you didn't answer my question. Why is one discrimination and the other isn't?

I already explained it to you. Refusing to write a certain phrase on a cake or whatever is not discriminating against a group of people. Refusing to provide your services to a certain group of people is discrimination.

Refusing to participate in a gay wedding because of your religious beliefs is just that religious liberty :thup:

What if they live and have family in Oregon?

Joe, if you were a gay graphic designer specializing in billboards and a Christian popped in to ask you to print a "Homosexuality is a sin against God" billboard for a busy highway, and you turned them down on principle JUST for that order (they'd been in your shop before ordering "puppies are cute" and "gas and food next right" billboards before), would the Christians then have the right to sue you for discriminating against their 1st Amendment civil right to freedom of religion? The PA law in Oregon says business owners cannot discriminate against customers' civil rights. All of them. Not just your favorites.

Yeah, Sil, ain't going to happen. I know you keep trying to find that "gay" vendor you can force into printing something homophobic, but that's a political statement, not a civil right. So you guys lose, again.

Frankly, I'm always confused as to why you homophobes spend so much time hating. I have to honestly wonder what is missing in your life that you need to pick on someone else who really isn't bothering you.

No, it isn't. That would be completely counter to the very concept of a free society.

How come whenever you wingnuts talk about 'freedom", it usually means the ability to abuse others?

Ruining the lives financially and emotionally of a hard working decent young couple because of their deeply and honestly held religious beliefs is the ultimate in abuse of others.

If that depraved subhuman "couple" had had any decency, the would have said: "We understand" and would have found another caterer who would have been happy to take their business.

The parody of a judge who ruled that the bakers should pay $135,000 should be compelled to suck shit-stained cocks for nourishment for the rest of his life.

And all the people who support his crooked, misguided and irrational decision.

I can most definitely control the products I offer the public. I just cannot discriminate with ACCESS to my products.
You mean like being a gay billboard designer but being able to refuse on principle having to create a billboard for a Christian requesting that you make one that says "Homosexuality is a sin unto God"?

Yes. I can refuse to make any product. I cannot deny access to my product to a person though. I do not have to honor special requests. There are no laws that say I do. There ARE laws that say I cannot deny access to my business to any specific group or groups of people.

Nothing but "You do what I want you to do, but I don't have to do what you want me to do, neener neener,"

Forum List

Back