Gun Debate Illustrates Two Different Americas

Yeah, 85 people were killed (he ran them over) in Nice, France by one guy with a rental truck. Seems to me that it would be cheaper for those who want to rack up casualties cheaply could do it by either renting or stealing a truck and heading for lots of pedestrians; after all, your average AR-15 costs over a thousand dollars and 500 rounds of 5.56x45 ammo is about $152.00. So you are looking at a cash payout of about $1,200 to $1,600 dollars, whereas for a mere $50.00 you can get a mobile four-wheeled killing machine, slightly damaged after you are done with it, of course. And, until the cops actually get around to stopping you, you can really rack up the pedestrian points, even to going beyond Nice, France's 85, if you are determined.
Barriers will easily stop them. I haven't seen any other similar attacks have you? We have mass shootings regularly.
I don't know what city you live in and I've lived in plenty, there are almost "no" protective barriers on city sidewalks and is too cost prohibitive to go to all towns and cities and build them so that pedestrians aren't in danger of being hit by a car, truck or some other type of vehicle. You might want to join the real world.
So our children are regularly gunned down and you are saying we should do nothing because people were once killed by a truck in france? You don't even come close to an intelligent thought...

1,500 security barriers are going up in busy parts of New York City - CNN
We've already had a few vehicle attacks in this nation. I believe it was in New York, not long ago that 11 people were run over and killed by a terrorist and out west a few more were hit by a vehicle by another terrorist. As more Muslims are imported, that number will increase.
Your solution: Summarily punish millions law-abiding citizens who are no threat to your or yours, because of the actions of a handful of mental idiots.
So our children are regularly gunned down and you are saying we should do nothing because people were once killed by a truck in france? You don't even come close to an intelligent thought...

How is not being able to easily become a mass killer punishment btw?
I'm referring to the MILLIONS of LAW ABIDING citizens who own such weapons and are no threat to anyone. Again, why criminalize people not committing crimes, ever??

I'm good. Nobody is gonna take away my firearm. And I have no problem with registering and insuring it.

Right. Because we can certainly trust the anti-gunners with that information.

Newspaper sparks outrage for publishing names, addresses of gun permit holders - CNN
Yeah. The Germans ended up having to register their weapons and millions died as a result. The Chinese had to register their weapons and millions died as a result.
The Russians had to register their weapons and millions died as a result, however, since the Soviet Union changed, more people can own firearms now.

Yeah, 85 people were killed (he ran them over) in Nice, France by one guy with a rental truck. Seems to me that it would be cheaper for those who want to rack up casualties cheaply could do it by either renting or stealing a truck and heading for lots of pedestrians; after all, your average AR-15 costs over a thousand dollars and 500 rounds of 5.56x45 ammo is about $152.00. So you are looking at a cash payout of about $1,200 to $1,600 dollars, whereas for a mere $50.00 you can get a mobile four-wheeled killing machine, slightly damaged after you are done with it, of course. And, until the cops actually get around to stopping you, you can really rack up the pedestrian points, even to going beyond Nice, France's 85, if you are determined.
Barriers will easily stop them. I haven't seen any other similar attacks have you? We have mass shootings regularly.
I don't know what city you live in and I've lived in plenty, there are almost "no" protective barriers on city sidewalks and is too cost prohibitive to go to all towns and cities and build them so that pedestrians aren't in danger of being hit by a car, truck or some other type of vehicle. You might want to join the real world.

We've already had a few vehicle attacks in this nation. I believe it was in New York, not long ago that 11 people were run over and killed by a terrorist and out west a few more were hit by a vehicle by another terrorist. As more Muslims are imported, that number will increase.
Your solution: Summarily punish millions law-abiding citizens who are no threat to your or yours, because of the actions of a handful of mental idiots.

I think you missed the point.

No gun in the world can make a person a mass murderer. A mass murderer is a murderer whether there are 200 million guns around or none. If somebody wants to kill as many people as possible, they will find a way.

The Hotel was a gun free zone...the concert was a gun free zone......moron......

The Vegas shooter killed 58 with 2 rifles firing over 1,000 rounds of ammo into a tightly packed crowd of over 22,000 people.....

The muslim terrorist in Nice, France murdered 86 people with a rental truck in 5 minutes of driving....

Rental Trucks are deadlier than rifles......

And knives kill more people than all rifles, every single year.....

Expanded Homicide Data Table 4

Rifles....374

knives....1,604

blunt objects....472

bare hands....656

Your solution: Summarily punish millions law-abiding citizens who are no threat to your or yours, because of the actions of a handful of mental idiots. Oh yeah, if you get current CCTV footage of New York City, you will see that streets abound without barriers, just lots of potential targets by maniacs with vehicles, should they choose to act.

We had a guy that tried that at Ohio State or Ohio University not long ago, I forget which college now. But he was a foreigner and tried to run over a bunch of students there.

Knives kill over 1,600 people every single year....

Expanded Homicide Data Table 4

Rifles....374

knives....1,604

blunt objects....472

bare hands....656
And the worst mass knifing was?

Why is it you want killers armed so well? Is it because gun sales go up after mass killings? You are sick.

I'm not the one who allows Home Depot to rent trucks to terrorists like you do....you are a stooge of the AAA, and you and them have blood on your hands....
You are the guy who armed the asshole in this recent school shooting, Vegas, Orlando, the TX church shooter...

When was the last rental truck killing? Seems like they fixed that problem. We are still having regular mass shootings.

No...shitstain...that was you asswipes.......you and your Promise Program that kept them from putting the shooter in the loony bin...

Orlando...FBI failed, again....Texas...air force failed...again, and an NRA instructor with an AR-15 civilian rifle and 30 round magazines had to stop that shooter since the police never showed up.

BREAKING: Authorities Wanted Parkland Shooter Institutionalized Before Massacre, Never Acted
Countries with strong gun control don't have a mass shooting problem.

Maybe, but they do have problems with other crimes like rape, physical attacks, robberies, those kinds of things. People in those countries have no way to protect themselves.

Mass murders are not a big issue here. Sure, it is because it's sensationalized, but more people get killed and injured in Chicago on a holiday weekend than the last school shooting. But the MSM doesn't mention that. It happens so often it's not even news anymore.

Back when I was a first year college student, I was taught the definition of a nation. Among other things, that definition showed a nation as being a single culture. But in America today, with respect to the subject of guns, we have 2 separate cultures. Those who like (and appreciate) them, and those who despise and fear them.

On USMB, I've heard gun owners referred to as "gun nuts", "gun freaks", etc. They're sometimes referred to as "the gun culture". Well, just as easily, those who dislike/fear guns, could be called the Anti-gun culture.

Perhaps this dichotomy has a relation to how Americans begin adulthood. Millions of high school kids go straight to college, never spending a minute in the military, or anywhere getting introduced to firearms. Most have never even touched a real gun, much less receive training on it. Making things worse, is that college teachers, who also never touched a gun, and whose left-wing political bearings, make them automatic gun opponents.

Millions of other kids bypass college entirely, and go straight into the military, after high school. Unlike the college kids, these young soldiers, sailors, marines, etc. aren't exposed to the leftist propaganda so prolific on college campuses, but they do have lots of introductions to firearms, thereby becoming familiar with and knowledgable of them. So, for the major pars of their adult lives (after college or the military), America is divided generally, into these 2 very differing groups.

Having spent 6 years in the US Army and Army National Guard, and then attending college for 4 years, I noticed a huge gap in gun perception in this 2 groups. I was often taken aback, sometimes humored, by the stiff and robotic way that my college cohorts perceived just the thought of guns. The college kids, with no direct exposure to guns, and lots of indoctrination against them, actually though that the only people to ordinarily possess a gun were police and criminals.

They really thought that if you weren't a cop or military person, you shouldn't have a gun, and had no idea why anyone else would. In contrast, my former Army National Guard buddies had whole collections guns, of various types, each suited for various purposes. They could take apart their M4A1s, M-14s, AR-15s, clean them, and put them back together blindfolded, in accordance with their military training.

How disconcerting it is to hear education system people worrying about things happening with guns in schools, when these fears emanate mostly from ignorance of guns, and how to handle and secure them. Equally perplexing and disturbing is their amazing lack of worry about the danger of guns not being there (in the schools), for the very necessary PROTECTION they provide.

Those who speak about the "gun culture" should do some self-examination, with regard to the anti-gun culture, and the hows and whys of its existence.

Yes the old dying hardcore more guns are good crowd and then the new generation of of Americans with common sense, guess which ones be around and the majority in 15 - 20 years

You think the students of these schools will still be swallowing your bullshit in 15-20 years, when they will be paying for all the mistakes the mistakes they have made because bad leftists advice, and for all the leftist schemes?

You must be shitting me, these guys will be armed to the teeth, protecting themselves against leftist looting like you wouldn't even believe. If you want more loot, better move elsewhere.
Still living in the 1950's isn't healthy, things aren't black and white

leftists?? :21:

1050's -2010's, assholes are still assholes
Back when I was a first year college student, I was taught the definition of a nation. Among other things, that definition showed a nation as being a single culture. But in America today, with respect to the subject of guns, we have 2 separate cultures. Those who like (and appreciate) them, and those who despise and fear them.

On USMB, I've heard gun owners referred to as "gun nuts", "gun freaks", etc. They're sometimes referred to as "the gun culture". Well, just as easily, those who dislike/fear guns, could be called the Anti-gun culture.

Perhaps this dichotomy has a relation to how Americans begin adulthood. Millions of high school kids go straight to college, never spending a minute in the military, or anywhere getting introduced to firearms. Most have never even touched a real gun, much less receive training on it. Making things worse, is that college teachers, who also never touched a gun, and whose left-wing political bearings, make them automatic gun opponents.

Millions of other kids bypass college entirely, and go straight into the military, after high school. Unlike the college kids, these young soldiers, sailors, marines, etc. aren't exposed to the leftist propaganda so prolific on college campuses, but they do have lots of introductions to firearms, thereby becoming familiar with and knowledgable of them. So, for the major pars of their adult lives (after college or the military), America is divided generally, into these 2 very differing groups.

Having spent 6 years in the US Army and Army National Guard, and then attending college for 4 years, I noticed a huge gap in gun perception in this 2 groups. I was often taken aback, sometimes humored, by the stiff and robotic way that my college cohorts perceived just the thought of guns. The college kids, with no direct exposure to guns, and lots of indoctrination against them, actually though that the only people to ordinarily possess a gun were police and criminals.

They really thought that if you weren't a cop or military person, you shouldn't have a gun, and had no idea why anyone else would. In contrast, my former Army National Guard buddies had whole collections guns, of various types, each suited for various purposes. They could take apart their M4A1s, M-14s, AR-15s, clean them, and put them back together blindfolded, in accordance with their military training.

How disconcerting it is to hear education system people worrying about things happening with guns in schools, when these fears emanate mostly from ignorance of guns, and how to handle and secure them. Equally perplexing and disturbing is their amazing lack of worry about the danger of guns not being there (in the schools), for the very necessary PROTECTION they provide.

Those who speak about the "gun culture" should do some self-examination, with regard to the anti-gun culture, and the hows and whys of its existence.

Yes the old dying hardcore more guns are good crowd and then the new generation of of Americans with common sense, guess which ones be around and the majority in 15 - 20 years

You think the students of these schools will still be swallowing your bullshit in 15-20 years, when they will be paying for all the mistakes the mistakes they have made because bad leftists advice, and for all the leftist schemes?

You must be shitting me, these guys will be armed to the teeth, protecting themselves against leftist looting like you wouldn't even believe. If you want more loot, better move elsewhere.

It doesn't matter whether it's 1950 or 2018, assholes are still assholes, and left wing loonies are still left wing loonies. America is still unique in the world, and many of us would like to keep it that way. If you don't like America as it is, go somewhere you like better. Quit trying to screw up this country by turning it into the rest of the world.

The United States of America is not the largest country, it is not the most populous country, and it doesn't have a vast advantage in natural resources. However, The United States of America dominates all other economies, is the premier world power, and is a place where large numbers of people from other countries would like to be.

We are the top dog because we are not like the rest of the world. This country became the top dog because hundreds of millions of individual American citizens worked hard to further their self interest and improve their standard of living. We didn't get there through government programs, and we didn't get

“Gun nuts” are unwavering extremists . They assume every gun owner thinks like them . They don’t .

They assume any gun control = banning all guns . Which is rediculous .

The gun nut is a misonfirmist when it comes to gun debates . And spare me with the “you are ignorant of guns “ gun nerd move . You try to bully people with gun minutia to avoid the facts about assault weapons .

You want to discuss facts about assault weapons? Go ahead, you first. I'll be glad to talk about assault weapons with you any time.

Ok fine . The AR 15 Cruz used . That’s designed as a military weapon , right ? It’s designed to kill lots of people in a short amount of time .

So what? Would you feel better if it took longer to do the killing? Cruz could have walked into that school with a double barrel shotgun and killed and wounded just as many people. Probably more, since the shotgun wouldn't have jammed.

BTW, a shotgun is also a military weapon.

No gun in the world can make a person a mass murderer. A mass murderer is a murderer whether there are 200 million guns around or none. If somebody wants to kill as many people as possible, they will find a way.
No, but a people owning firearms can fight a mass murderer.

“Gun nuts” are unwavering extremists . They assume every gun owner thinks like them . They don’t .

The gun nut is a misonfirmist when it comes to gun debates . And spare me with the “you are ignorant of guns “ gun nerd move . You try to bully people with gun minutia to avoid the facts about assault weapons .

You want to discuss facts about assault weapons? Go ahead, you first. I'll be glad to talk about assault weapons with you any time.

Ok fine . The AR 15 Cruz used . That’s designed as a military weapon , right ? It’s designed to kill lots of people in a short amount of time .
It's a great hunting rifle for deer.

Is it really ? Doesn’t it ruin the meat with its brutal exit wound ?

The shock effect from larger bullets like the 30-06 creates more damage to the meat than an AR-15 would.

Your solution: Summarily punish millions law-abiding citizens who are no threat to your or yours, because of the actions of a handful of mental idiots. Oh yeah, if you get current CCTV footage of New York City, you will see that streets abound without barriers, just lots of potential targets by maniacs with vehicles, should they choose to act.

We had a guy that tried that at Ohio State or Ohio University not long ago, I forget which college now. But he was a foreigner and tried to run over a bunch of students there.
Yeah. Wasn't that the one where he got out of the vehicle after hitting some people, then began stabbing them, while yelling, "Allahu Akhbar?" Then, when the idiot students were interview by the left-wing press, stated that he was just misunderstood?

It's a great hunting rifle for deer.

Is it really ? Doesn’t it ruin the meat with its brutal exit wound ?

The shock effect from larger bullets like the 30-06 creates more damage to the meat than an AR-15 would.
Actually, if you want damage, the damage done by a soft lead-ball from a .50cal. muzzleloader is really impressive. Of course, reloading is a might slow.

1050's -2010's, assholes are still assholes

It doesn't matter whether it's 1950 or 2018, assholes are still assholes, and left wing loonies are still left wing loonies. America is still unique in the world, and many of us would like to keep it that way. If you don't like America as it is, go somewhere you like better. Quit trying to screw up this country by turning it into the rest of the world.

The United States of America is not the largest country, it is not the most populous country, and it doesn't have a vast advantage in natural resources. However, The United States of America dominates all other economies, is the premier world power, and is a place where large numbers of people from other countries would like to be.

We are the top dog because we are not like the rest of the world. This country became the top dog because hundreds of millions of individual American citizens worked hard to further their self interest and improve their standard of living. We didn't get there through government programs, and we didn't get

So what? Would you feel better if it took longer to do the killing? Cruz could have walked into that school with a double barrel shotgun and killed and wounded just as many people. Probably more, since the shotgun wouldn't have jammed.

BTW, a shotgun is also a military weapon.
After 35 years of GOP rule tax rates and policy, we're only Top Dog in military. And inequality middle-class going to hell and lack of benefits from citizenry. Only third worlders want to come here because the GOP always refuses an SSID card that can't be faked, Dupe.

Yeah. Wasn't that the one where he got out of the vehicle after hitting some people, then began stabbing them, while yelling, "Allahu Akhbar?" Then, when the idiot students were interview by the left-wing press, stated that he was just misunderstood?

Yep, that's the one. He didn't do much in the way of killing, so it was a fly-by for the MSM.

A sick person can do a lot of damage with aN assault weapon. Suppose a sick person walks into a classroom and starts shooting everyone with his AR-15. How many people can he likely kill and what is the likelihood of a typical armed citizen stopping him by himself? I think most people can understand why some people want assault weapon's banned.

You are right. The military doesn't just hand you an M16 and let you go into combat with your fellow troops. Imagine what would happen in the infantry if the military did not make you pass M16 training g tests...

I think most Americans want the gun industry to be more regulated. There are lots of responsible gun owners.

A sick person can kill and maim as many school children as he likes with a large knife, a chain saw, or a thousand other items that cannot be banned. The only way to protect children from evil people is to have someone in attendance that can stop evil people from killing. Everything else is window dressing.

For the millionth time, magazine capacity does not matter. It doesn't matter.

It.

Does.

Not.

Fucking.

Matter.

You are not going to EVER ban semi-automatics. EVER. To do so is a virtual ban on everything. That is why we KNOW you motherfuckers want a total ban and confiscation or you are too stupid to understand what you are advocating.

No, but a people owning firearms can fight a mass murderer.

That's why mass murderers avoid those people.

You have to love the left though. When a mass shooting takes place, it's the guns fault. If a police officer uses deadly force against a minority, it's not the guns fault, it's the police officers fault.

For the millionth time, magazine capacity does not matter. It doesn't matter.

It.

Does.

Not.

Fucking.

Matter.

You are not going to EVER ban semi-automatics. EVER. To do so is a virtual ban on everything. That is why we KNOW you motherfuckers want a total ban and confiscation or you are too stupid to understand what you are advocating.

Nobody wants to banned semi-automatics, just crazy looking war weapons and giant magazines and background check loopholes and kits that convert to automatic.

This is something the left just can't get.

There are plenty of other places in the world where they have a liberal utopia: nobody has guns except the government. Nobody has money except the government. Government paid healthcare. Everybody is equal.....equally poor. Yet the liberals never seem to try these places out first to see if they like them or not.

We have places like that in the US too. We call them prisons.

The thing is if you move to another country, find out it's not all it's cracked up to be, you can always move back to the USA.......if they let you. But once they destroy this place; make it into another social utopia, there is no other USA to move to. We only have one--this one.

Let's preserve it as long as possible.

Dummy. I'm now a Democratic party "operative". I spend every free moment working to get Democrats elected to office. From city council to US senator.

And I ain't worried about anyone coming for my gun.

You're not.....huh?

Maybe you missed my earlier post. But here is what the Democrats in my state are proposing:

Ohio firearms bill sparks strong views | News, Sports, Jobs - Marietta Times

Now if you bother to read it (I'm sure you won't) what they want is a confiscation of all semi-automatic guns. If YOU DO know anything about guns, you realize that few are revolvers. Most people with hand guns use semi-automatic.

So what the Democrats here want to do is to leave people with revolvers and non-semi automatic rifles. Now that's a real defense against a criminal with a 20 round semi-automatic handgun.

So if you are pushing for more Democrats, this is exactly what you are pushing for.

Be careful what you wish for......it just may come true.

I read the SB 260. It didn't have a chance in hell to pass. It was so restrictive that almost any semi auto rifle or handgun would have been caught by it. It's definition of "Assault Weapon" was definately restrictive. No one in their right mind would vote for it and they didn't. It didn't pass by a very wide margin. Almost no one voted for it. There really isn't a point here.

Sure there is a point, and that point is that if Democrats had the ability, they would do everything in their power to disarm the public. It was my point all along. So when I hear or read these people tell me nobody wants to take away my gun, all they have to do is see what Democrats have tried to do in the past.

Nope. That's paranoia. Maybe you've got a guilty conscience? Maybe there is a reason why YOU should get some scrutiny?

I'm good. Nobody is gonna take away my firearm. And I have no problem with registering and insuring it.

You asswipes can't lie anymore....you held you CNN townhall and you all frothed at the mouth and screamed to ban all semi auto weapons.......the lie can't be hidden anymore....

You saw me on CNN?

Forum List

Back