Health Care Is A Right Not a Privilege!

Either of you two ladies like a chocolate?

Willfully spreading a killer disease and the death penalty as a consequence doesn't sound that far off does it?

I would have no problem imposing the death penalty on those few evil bastards out there who've been found to be deliberately spreading HIV/AIDS. Murder is murder, in my book, and that's pretty damned heinous.

You totally missed the chocolate part...

db, I'm going to have to think about this for a while and see if I can get my head around it.

But, until I have turned it over a few times, I'll just say this from the insider's view. It's not our system of insurance that is killing us. What's really killing us is how unhealthy the American population is becoming, first with our population becoming top heavy with the elderly, and second with morbid obesity and concomitant diabetes rampant amongst the age group who should be the most healthy. These things don't resond to 'market pressures.'

Ever wonder what would happen if people actually had to pay for health care costs that came from being overweight?

Unfortunately, not all of the overweight is from sloth and gluttony. There are several medications, heart meds, psych meds, seizure meds, that change a person's metabolism and cause them to gain weight. Sometimes the person can fight it off, but it's a terrible battle, and sometimes the condition being treated precludes strenuous exercise. The 90s was the 'decade of the brain' and we got a lot of new meds, but they brought with them new maladies as well. Some actually cause a person to get what is called 'metabolic syndrome.' They become diabetic just from taking a particular medication. Even weight control doesn't stop this in some cases.

Never said it was, I understand that obesity is a complex issue, which is why I oppose government mandates on things that do not directly cause obesity.

I agree.... i cant imagine not taking care of someone.... I understand what you mean by its in the blood :eusa_angel:

You do realize that you can do it for free and not get paid for it. Same for the doctors. Since that is never going to happen, health care costs are going to be high. No way around that.

The problem comes when i walk out of the ER with a band aid, some neosproine and a prescription.......and it costs me 6K

Well, it depends. If there was suturing involved? Did a cosmetic surgeon have to come in and do the suturing? Was there an EMS transport involved? ANY radiology=CHACHING! Lab$ drawn?

Some of it is defensive medicine. If you go to the ER with a headache (no, that's not ridiculous if you have migraines or complex migraines) you're going to get a CT scan, unless you adamantly refuse. Why? Too many brain hemmorhages were sent home over the years; most of them didn't survive for the ambulance transport back to the ER.

You go in with heartburn and you're over 40, you're probably going to get a 12-lead EKG. Again, too many people were sent home after a GI cocktail, and a script for tagamet, who were having a heart attack. It's not only that physicians and other providers don't want to get sued, we don't want to feel responsible for someone's death.

Many of you seem to have ideas on the business end, on how to deal with this problem. Have you tried submitting them to someone-like your representative or senator?

It was a kitten bite.... a quick cleaning, a bit of neosprin, a band aid...and a prescription for antibiotics..... no suturing, no labs, no x-rays, no transport.

Six thousand dollars.

I come from the medical end..i know what is involved. :)

OMG! That's robbery.

Well, it depends. If there was suturing involved? Did a cosmetic surgeon have to come in and do the suturing? Was there an EMS transport involved? ANY radiology=CHACHING! Lab$ drawn?

Some of it is defensive medicine. If you go to the ER with a headache (no, that's not ridiculous if you have migraines or complex migraines) you're going to get a CT scan, unless you adamantly refuse. Why? Too many brain hemmorhages were sent home over the years; most of them didn't survive for the ambulance transport back to the ER.

You go in with heartburn and you're over 40, you're probably going to get a 12-lead EKG. Again, too many people were sent home after a GI cocktail, and a script for tagamet, who were having a heart attack. It's not only that physicians and other providers don't want to get sued, we don't want to feel responsible for someone's death.

Many of you seem to have ideas on the business end, on how to deal with this problem. Have you tried submitting them to someone-like your representative or senator?

It was a kitten bite.... a quick cleaning, a bit of neosprin, a band aid...and a prescription for antibiotics..... no suturing, no labs, no x-rays, no transport.

Six thousand dollars.

OMG! That's robbery.

It is a prime example of what is broken in health care. My 6K...goes to pay for all the people who don't pay. obamacare is nothing more then the same robbery.

however.... it is my right to go and seek medical, and my right to pay for the medical treatment i showed up for.

Yes. I had to enter my zip code to get those figures. Clearly, your zip code would bring up different numbers.

Damn....it just hit me. What the hell did they do to you? They must have given you one hell of a work up. For KIDNEY STONES? It's usually narcotics, anti-emetics, and waiting for it to pass. Something must have gone awry, or you live in a zip code where the streets are lined in gold. Jeez!

I was in the hospital because the anto emetic they were giving me didn't work, I spent half the day puking. The bill was the total after about 5 days in the hospital passing the stones and another 3 days recovering from renal failure.

OH WOW!!! Okay, now that makes more sense. Now if there are medication discrepancies, sure, look further into it. So I'm guessing that they tried both zofran and phenergan? Oncology has mastered treating nausea. They would definitely be the ones to consult. Or even a pharmacist.

Questions, questions....you poor thing. Were they not keeping a close enough eye on your labs, or did you already have kidney problems?

I told them I wanted phenergan because I had it before, and it worked. They were reluctant to give me an IV because I had a history of irritation with it, I can actually feel it going in unless it is diluted. I don't remember what they were using at first, I think it was zofran, but they eventually agreed to my request for phenergan. As for the renal failure, I think it was just that it actually took 5 days to pass the stones. The problem I was worried about by then was apnea caused by the meds. There is nothing like not being able to breath to get your attention, even if it is just a couple of seconds.

Six thousand dollars.

OMG! That's robbery.

It is a prime example of what is broken in health care. My 6K...goes to pay for all the people who don't pay. obamacare is nothing more then the same robbery.

however.... it is my right to go and seek medical, and my right to pay for the medical treatment i showed up for.

Now are you talking about all the people with insurance? I have PPO, which I pay premiums for, of course. My MRI's that I got for diagnosis (4 to be exact) over $2K each. I paid around $150 for each. Now do you all have problems with EVERY type of insurance?

Because I had this insurance for 7 years before I REALLY had to use it. Or are you referring more to the state insurances? (taking Obamacare out of the equation, entirely)

So, should government always be responsible for the number one cause of bankruptcy?

What about number two?

Number two is what Republicans shower on the US.

Obviously, when people go bankrupt over medical bills, it's the people who suffer. The same people who get taxed to fund the government. They end up "stuck" with the bill.

Right wingers have this bizarre idea that our government is some kind of separate cabal that "controls" the US. It's part of their right wing brainwashing.

And now you are a mind reader.............groovy! :cuckoo:

It's not that difficult when your are looking at an open book. One written in crayons and caricatures.

Health care is not a privilege. It is not something that is only available to a few. Health care is available to everyone in this country.

Everyone has the same access to the same health care by the same doctors and the same hospitals.... health care is not kept for the privileged few.

Everyone has the right to pay for the health care they want to receive.

Health care is a privilege for those US citizens who can not afford to pay for it. All others can.

If you are receiving health care and not paying for it....its an entitlement.

I was under the impression that it's a privilege to those who can not afford it since they must follow certain criteria to gain the entitlement.

Health care is a privilege for those US citizens who can not afford to pay for it. All others can.

If you are receiving health care and not paying for it....its an entitlement.

I was under the impression that it's a privilege to those who can not afford it since they must follow certain criteria to gain the entitlement.

No criteria needed or necessary to walk into an emergency room and be treated.

When it comes time to pay?

you walk in... get treated...and walk out. They can bill you till they are blue. That does not mean you will pay.

they do not demand payment up front for treatment, or prof that you can pay for it.

you walk in... get treated...and walk out. They can bill you till they are blue. That does not mean you will pay.

they do not demand payment up front for treatment, or prof that you can pay for it.

Sounds rather messed up to me. No wonder you Americans have been fighting over this for so long. :lol:

I was in the hospital because the anto emetic they were giving me didn't work, I spent half the day puking. The bill was the total after about 5 days in the hospital passing the stones and another 3 days recovering from renal failure.

OH WOW!!! Okay, now that makes more sense. Now if there are medication discrepancies, sure, look further into it. So I'm guessing that they tried both zofran and phenergan? Oncology has mastered treating nausea. They would definitely be the ones to consult. Or even a pharmacist.

Questions, questions....you poor thing. Were they not keeping a close enough eye on your labs, or did you already have kidney problems?

I told them I wanted phenergan because I had it before, and it worked. They were reluctant to give me an IV because I had a history of irritation with it, I can actually feel it going in unless it is diluted. I don't remember what they were using at first, I think it was zofran, but they eventually agreed to my request for phenergan. As for the renal failure, I think it was just that it actually took 5 days to pass the stones. The problem I was worried about by then was apnea caused by the meds. There is nothing like not being able to breath to get your attention, even if it is just a couple of seconds.

So then dilute it. We have 100mL IV bags for phenergan dilution. It can cause tissue necrosis. That kinds of irritates me, because it would have taken just a few more seconds to dilute some phenergan for you. Zofran doesn't seem (from the people I've treated with it) to work as well as phenergan. Now zofran doesn't sedate the patients as much, and they are a little easier to interview; but if it worked in the past, and one dosage of zofran didn't work.....I just hope they gave you the phenergan then. There is this almost irrational fear of phenergan these days.

Apnea? Good grief! Well, surely they had you on a heart monitor and a pulse oximeter. We have orders to also put the patient on oxygen. I'm not sure what they were giving you narc-wise. If phenergan is what works for you, speak up if you have to go through it again...or have your wife or whomever is with you speak up.

If they send you a survey about your hospital experience, make sure you fill it out. I promise you that they look at that stuff.

I have a co-pay. If I'm vertical and breathing, even in ER, I have to pay the co-pay. Of course that isn't the balance, but...

And that is the problem.

And that will continue to be the problem when Obamacare kicks in, Gag. This is just how the illegals will get their obamacare.

I have a co-pay. If I'm vertical and breathing, even in ER, I have to pay the co-pay. Of course that isn't the balance, but...

I am fully covered too. I pay for very good insurgence.... i pay for my health care.

The bill is still 6k regardless if my insurance company pays the bill or i pay the bill out of pocket.

Forum List

Back