How Does Taxing the Rich "Help" the Middle Class?

Jay-Z -- $450 million
jay-z-250x150(1).jpg
Hailing from the Marcy Housing Projects in Brooklyn, Shawn Carter (popularly known as Jay-Z) went from dealing crack to becoming a world-famous rapper and entrepreneur. As a young boy, he started rapping on the streets of New York, under the name "Jazzy."
Today, he is considered one of the greatest rappers of all time, holding 11 platinum albums and 13 Grammy awards. He has sold an astonishing 50 million albums worldwide.
His success in music propelled him into other ventures including his own clothing line, Rocawear; a record label, Roc-A-Fella records; a management, publishing and entertainment company, Roc Nation and even NBA ownership with a share of the New Jersey Nets.

I'm sure gates grew up worrying about his next meal:

Gates was born in Seattle, Washington. He is the son of William H. Gates, Sr. and Mary Maxwell Gates. Gates' ancestral origin includes English, German, and Scots-Irish.[16][17] His father was a prominent lawyer, and his mother served on the board of directors for First Interstate BancSystem and the United Way. Gates's maternal grandfather was JW Maxwell, a national bank president.
So...anyone who is extremely wealthy today and did not start out dirt poor, you conclude all rich don't work hard and inherited their wealth. WTF?

Using your standard, there are many very wealthy people who did start out dirt poor. Dr. Ben Carson for one, which means your conclusions have been successfully refuted.

I'm refuting somebodies examples of coming from nothing. Clearly they didn't.

I have not concluded ALL, but it is a lot. How much does Carson have?
Okay then we can agree that many wealthy people are truly self made and some are not. But, if I come from a middle class family and become a billionaire, am I self made or not?

You will have to research Carson on your own, but he is a perfect example of a self made millionaire.

Did Carson benefit from government programs? Yale isn't cheap.

Of course he did

His family got low cost housing and medical coverage. He wants to deny it to others

Grants maybe? He seems to think affirmative action helped.

Dr. Ben Carson - Beyond Affirmative Action

anybody can copy and paste loon

keep proving "most" rich people wre born into their money; you have several million more to go

Jay-Z -- $450 million
jay-z-250x150(1).jpg
Hailing from the Marcy Housing Projects in Brooklyn, Shawn Carter (popularly known as Jay-Z) went from dealing crack to becoming a world-famous rapper and entrepreneur. As a young boy, he started rapping on the streets of New York, under the name "Jazzy."
Today, he is considered one of the greatest rappers of all time, holding 11 platinum albums and 13 Grammy awards. He has sold an astonishing 50 million albums worldwide.
His success in music propelled him into other ventures including his own clothing line, Rocawear; a record label, Roc-A-Fella records; a management, publishing and entertainment company, Roc Nation and even NBA ownership with a share of the New Jersey Nets.

Sports and entertainment seems to be one of the few ways.

John Paul DeJoria -- $4 Billion
JPD%20Final.gif
The entrepreneurial spirit was present at a young age for John Paul DeJoria, cofounder of John Paul Mitchell Systems. He started selling Christmas cards and newspapers to support his family at age nine. Despite his contributions, his family was unable to make ends meet and he was sent to live with foster parents.
DeJoria spent much of his youth in a street gang in East Los Angeles, but the trajectory of his life changed when a high school math teacher told him he would never amount to anything.

Oprah Winfrey -- $2.7 billion
Oprah%20Final.gif
The daughter of an unwed teenage mother from rural Mississippi, Oprah Winfrey conquered poverty, sexual abuse and her own teenage pregnancy to become a media mogul.
While still in high school, Winfrey landed a job at a local television station. She won a scholarship to Tennessee State University and would go on to work as a television news anchor in Baltimore and Nashville before landing her first talk show in Chicago. Within a few months, Winfrey had transformed AM Chicago from one of the city's lowest rated shows to the highest.
Winfrey’s popularity only increased through syndication, making her show a welcome addition in millions of American households. Her sustained high ratings and ability to launch other people and products into guaranteed success stories by merely mentioning their name led some to call her the most influential woman in the world. Her empire goes beyond television and includes publishing, producing, and just recently, creating a new television network, OWN.

Gates was born in Seattle, Washington. He is the son of William H. Gates, Sr. and Mary Maxwell Gates. Gates' ancestral origin includes English, German, and Scots-Irish.[16][17] His father was a prominent lawyer, and his mother served on the board of directors for First Interstate BancSystem and the United Way. Gates's maternal grandfather was JW Maxwell, a national bank president.
So...anyone who is extremely wealthy today and did not start out dirt poor, you conclude all rich don't work hard and inherited their wealth. WTF?

Using your standard, there are many very wealthy people who did start out dirt poor. Dr. Ben Carson for one, which means your conclusions have been successfully refuted.

Okay then we can agree that many wealthy people are truly self made and some are not. But, if I come from a middle class family and become a billionaire, am I self made or not?

You will have to research Carson on your own, but he is a perfect example of a self made millionaire.

I'm not saying some don't. The right however seem to think most do, when that isn't true. That idiot gave a list of rich from nothing and I've shown most came from very comfortable families. Most the big political donors are the inherited wealthy.

He has done well.
The idiot in this thread was the one who claimed all wealthy people don't work hard and inherited their wealth.

I agree that many wealthy people use their money to influence our political system. Whether they inherited their wealth or not, means little to me. Zuckerberg is a very good example of a billionaire who made it on his own and is now using his wealth to buy politicians.

YAWN; it's a straw man anyway. what about being born rich means they should have their money taken away? And how does this answer the original OP???
it's so boring debating these leftardz

I'm not saying some don't. The right however seem to think most do, when that isn't true. That idiot gave a list of rich from nothing and I've shown most came from very comfortable families. Most the big political donors are the inherited wealthy.

He has done well.
The idiot in this thread was the one who claimed all wealthy people don't work hard and inherited their wealth.

I agree that many wealthy people use their money to influence our political system. Whether they inherited their wealth or not, means little to me. Zuckerberg is a very good example of a billionaire who made it on his own and is now using his wealth to buy politicians.

Nobody should be using ALL.

Zuckerberg came from a rich family.

YAWN; it's a straw man anyway. what about being born rich means they should have their money taken away? And how does this answer the original OP???
it's so boring debating these leftardz

Would Carson be successful without government programs?

For some reason people think that when the taxes are lowered for the rich it doesnt affect the other groups. Or they KNOW that the middle and lower class gets hit with the missing taxes and tell stories about how everything spending should be lowered.

When spending isnt lowered they still support lower taxes on the rich and say how spending SHOULDVE been lowered. But dont raise those taxes....on the rich. Let the poor and middle pay for it because...

If you taxed the rich their share (WHATS A FAIR SHARE DERP!) the taxes would be lowered on the middle class to adjust, right?
the lower class pays nothing now, so there's no adjustment unless you want to give 1/2 the country money.

but yes, everyones taxes should be lowered, since it's us that drives the economy and not the government.

But that's YOU. You said you are poor, so you're paying NOTHING in taxes? So aren't YOU the problem?
I'm single now, so I do pay taxes.

when I was married I paid nothing. We got it all back. But if you think about the cost to send me all my taxes back....

ooops, I asked you to think, sorry
Why didnt your broke ass pay your fair share though, like...voluntarily, on principle?
What part of "I'm poor" isn't understandable to you?

exactly how much does your ignorant ass think is fair?

naw, fuck that, don't answer, just go fuck your useless self

He has done well.

Who said "all"?

You have a long way to go before you reach "most"

Look at the ten richest people in the world and tell me how many started with nothing

For some reason people think that when the taxes are lowered for the rich it doesnt affect the other groups. Or they KNOW that the middle and lower class gets hit with the missing taxes and tell stories about how everything spending should be lowered.

When spending isnt lowered they still support lower taxes on the rich and say how spending SHOULDVE been lowered. But dont raise those taxes....on the rich. Let the poor and middle pay for it because...

If you taxed the rich their share (WHATS A FAIR SHARE DERP!) the taxes would be lowered on the middle class to adjust, right?
the lower class pays nothing now, so there's no adjustment unless you want to give 1/2 the country money.

but yes, everyones taxes should be lowered, since it's us that drives the economy and not the government.

But that's YOU. You said you are poor, so you're paying NOTHING in taxes? So aren't YOU the problem?

when I was married I paid nothing. We got it all back. But if you think about the cost to send me all my taxes back....

Why didnt your broke ass pay your fair share though, like...voluntarily, on principle?

See the thread title?

Let me reciprocate: how much higher are middle class taxes due to subsidizing the poor?

The floor is yours.

See the thread title?

Let me reciprocate: how much higher are middle class taxes due to subsidizing the poor?

The floor is yours.
I am not subsidized

everything I have I paid for, every thing I owe I will pay for.

no money comes from you to me

so good luck with your hate, I like being kicked around b/c I'm poor, it really makes me want to vote leftist even more, so they raise taxes on people like you, and you have to fucking like it.

See the thread title?

The floor is yours.
I am not subsidized

so good luck with your hate, I like being kicked around b/c I'm poor, it really makes me want to vote leftist even more, so they raise taxes on people like you, and you have to fucking like it.
Im not taking a position on taxes....im asking you how you reconcile your beliefs while being subsidized.

And if, when you are poor, you are paying zero net income taxes, yes my money does come from me and go to you - in the form of the ifrastructure and services that those taxes pay for and 100% of people use.

See the thread title?

The floor is yours.
I am not subsidized

Im not taking a position on taxes....im asking you how you reconcile your beliefs while being subsidized.

And if, when you are poor, you are paying zero net income taxes, yes my money does come from me and go to you - in the form of the ifrastructure and services that those taxes pay for and 100% of people use.

Doesn't that answer the OP?

Nobody has answered yet what gives anyone the right to someone elses money?
If I make a billions dollars (and I wont) and I leave it to my daughter to do as she pleases, why should someone not related to the family have any concern or right to that billion dollars.
exactly what is it about people here that think they for some reason should have equal rights to the fortune as the family of the one that created it.
And, I will owe no tax next year. Nothing. Looking forward to it. I might even be able to figure out how to get something back that I never paid in the first place.

See the thread title?

The floor is yours.
I am not subsidized

cant really complain about infrastructure and public services like schools etc... ( welfare is a different story) face it, I pay more than some and much less than others. Thats how it works.
the problem is with those that think for some reason they deserve to live the same lifestyle as I do while putting in no personal effort.
I would love to be able to afford to live in a mansion with Italian sports cars out front, I was never willing to put forth the work to get it, so guess what? I am where I deserve to be. And the rich guy owes me nothing, just like I owe nothing to someone that makes less than I do.

If I make a billions dollars (and I wont) and I leave it to my daughter to do as she pleases, why should someone not related to the family have any concern or right to that billion dollars.
exactly what is it about people here that think they for some reason should have equal rights to the fortune as the family of the one that created it.
And, I will owe no tax next year. Nothing. Looking forward to it. I might even be able to figure out how to get something back that I never paid in the first place.
This question is likely a red herring.

I dont know that Ive heard someone say they want the rights to someone's entire fortune.....

But taxation in a sense means that that portion of your income isnt YOUR MONEY (caps for roarrrrrs)....to begin with. Its the dollars you owe for the turn around you're getting under your Nation's laws and infrastructure......none of which are free.

The allocation and amount of taxes is always going to be a legitimate point of argument......but not that there should be NO TAXES, as your red herring suggests.

Nobody says all of the money, but yes the rich need to pay taxes. We have a very stable country with good infrastructure and strong military. That isn't free.

Forum List

Back