Hypothetical question for my fellow atheists

So, I've a hypothetical for you guys that I am curious about. I maintain that my atheism is a premise, not a conclusion. When I say, "God does not exist", I am presenting a falsifiable premise that is only awaiting objective, verifiable evidence.

Now, with that in mind, let us say that evidence is discovered tomorrow. Now only do we have absolute proof of the existence of God, but we even have absolute evidence that the Christian version of God exists. Could you just "fall in line"? Could you just "become" a Christian.

See, I don't think I could. If we suddenly had the objective evidence necessary to prove that the Christian God exists, that would mean that we, also, have to accept that the Bible is not just a book of stories, and is, in fact, an accurate record of the nature of that God. And that record indicates that he drown the entire race, as far as man understood it to be at that time. This God demanded his favourites to commit genocide...twice. This God chose one person, and intentionally made his life miserable, just for sport (a wager with Lucifer). In short, the Bible portrays a God that is a sociopath.

I don't know that, even with irrefutable evidence that the Christian God exists, that I could become a follower of that God.

I have always said that, given evidence,. I would change my position from atheism to one of theism. However, if I learned that the Christian God was the "God of Creation", I don't think that theism would be a respectful one. I think my position would have to be, "Okay. God exists...and he's a dick," and would accept whatever consequences taking that position would engender.

So, what about you guys? If we suddenly had evidence that Christians had it right all along, could you just become "Good Little Christians"?

If there was absolute evidence that Christians or Hindu's or Muslim's or Rastafarians had it right all along- certainly I would no longer be an atheist. I don't believe in any god because there is no evidence of a god- if there was evidence- certainly I would believe in God or Vishnu or whatever just like I 'believe' in the Moon.

Doesn't mean that I would necessarily accept whatever edicts the religion dictated- or even what the 'God/Goddess/Gods announced.
That would make you a fool.

That would mean I have free will.

And you don't.

Nah, free will is an illusion.

So, I've a hypothetical for you guys that I am curious about. I maintain that my atheism is a premise, not a conclusion. When I say, "God does not exist", I am presenting a falsifiable premise that is only awaiting objective, verifiable evidence.

Now, with that in mind, let us say that evidence is discovered tomorrow. Now only do we have absolute proof of the existence of God, but we even have absolute evidence that the Christian version of God exists. Could you just "fall in line"? Could you just "become" a Christian.

See, I don't think I could. If we suddenly had the objective evidence necessary to prove that the Christian God exists, that would mean that we, also, have to accept that the Bible is not just a book of stories, and is, in fact, an accurate record of the nature of that God. And that record indicates that he drown the entire race, as far as man understood it to be at that time. This God demanded his favourites to commit genocide...twice. This God chose one person, and intentionally made his life miserable, just for sport (a wager with Lucifer). In short, the Bible portrays a God that is a sociopath.

I don't know that, even with irrefutable evidence that the Christian God exists, that I could become a follower of that God.

I have always said that, given evidence,. I would change my position from atheism to one of theism. However, if I learned that the Christian God was the "God of Creation", I don't think that theism would be a respectful one. I think my position would have to be, "Okay. God exists...and he's a dick," and would accept whatever consequences taking that position would engender.

So, what about you guys? If we suddenly had evidence that Christians had it right all along, could you just become "Good Little Christians"?

If there was absolute evidence that Christians or Hindu's or Muslim's or Rastafarians had it right all along- certainly I would no longer be an atheist. I don't believe in any god because there is no evidence of a god- if there was evidence- certainly I would believe in God or Vishnu or whatever just like I 'believe' in the Moon.

Doesn't mean that I would necessarily accept whatever edicts the religion dictated- or even what the 'God/Goddess/Gods announced.

And you don't.

Thinking that free will is an illusion- is an illusion.

And you don't.

hmm, no, it is, in fact, an illusion. You are not actually in conscious control of your choices. Now that we have figured out how to test this, we get the same results every single time.

And you don't.
I DO have free will. I choose to obey my Creator. You don't. That makes you a fool.

And you don't.
I DO have free will. I choose to obey my Creator. You don't. That makes you a fool.

No you don't. Your subconscious chooses for you, due to your life experiences, your genetics, and your intellectual defects.

And you don't.

hmm, no, it is, in fact, an illusion. You are not actually in conscious control of your choices. Now that we have figured out how to test this, we get the same results every single time.

That too is an illusion.

And you don't.

You believe in a fairy in the sky.

That makes you a fool- but I don't care that you believe in some fairy in the sky.

Yeah ... God in the Old Testament still thought humans were susceptible to correction ... He tried beating them into line a couple of times.
In the New Testament He surrendered to the fact that humans are incorrigible ... And the best He could do would be to forgive us.

Such profound ignorance. God knew before Creation how things would turn out. He knew that we would sin and that He would send His Son to die for us. It's all part of His plan.

And you don't.

That too is an illusion.

The empirical results are an illusion, eh? fascinating. Are you going to start waving a pocketwatch, and then ask me for $100?

Such profound ignorance. God knew before Creation how things would turn out. He knew that we would sin and that He would send His Son to die for us. It's all part of His plan.

Well ... If you would like to suggest the approach God took in The Old Testament is the same as the approach He took in the New Testament ...
I am just going to have to disagree ... :thup:

And you don't.

That too is an illusion.
I'm beginning to think YOU are an illusion. Perhaps I should add you to my ignore list.

Well ... If you would like to suggest the approach God took in The Old Testament is the same as the approach He took in the New Testament ...
I am just going to have to disagree ... :thup:

I said no such thing. I simply stated that God knew what would happen before He even Created us.

I said no such thing. I simply stated that God knew what would happen before He even Created us.

Did I happen to mention my God thinks you are a fool ... But will forgive you anyways ... :dunno:

Did I happen to mention my God thinks you are a fool ... But will forgive you anyways ... :dunno:

Why do you say that? What did I say that was foolish? Are you saying that God didn't know how things would turn out from the beginning?

Why do you say that? What did I say that was foolish? Are you saying that God didn't know how things would turn out from the beginning?

Don't ask me ... I posted my God thinks you are a fool ... Tell Him you think He is wrong ... :dunno:

All I stated was that how God handled things in the Old Testament is different than how He handled them in the New Testament.
Well that and the fact He obviously thought it was a better idea to forgive some folks instead of wiping them out like He had done before.

But ... If you would like to suggest God has predestined everything ... Then why the heck would He predestine you to sin and then tell you not to?
That would be counter-productive at best.

Yeah ... God in the Old Testament still thought humans were susceptible to correction ... He tried beating them into line a couple of times.
In the New Testament He surrendered to the fact that humans are incorrigible ... And the best He could do would be to forgive us.

So...God new "before creation" what every single person who ever lived would do? So, why did he hate those 26 people in Texas? I mean, he knew that was going to happen, and just sat back and did nothing. Why did he hate them so?

Don't ask me ... I posted my God thinks you are a fool ... Tell Him you think He is wrong ... :dunno:

All I stated was that how God handled things in the Old Testament is different than how He handled them in the New Testament.
Well that and the fact He obviously thought it was a better idea to forgive some folks instead of wiping them out like He had done before.

But ... If you would like to suggest God has predestined everything ... Then why the heck would He predestine you to sin and then tell you not to?

For one thing, there is no such thing as predestination.

And you don't.
Really? So everyone has Free Will?

Except you just said that God knew "before Creation" what everyone would do. How can he already know this, and those actions not be predestined?

If God knows what is going to happen ... Then that pretty much limits what you can pray about.
I guess you could give thanks for your blessings ... Ask for the strength to bare what He has in store for you ... And that's about it.

Forum List

Back