I am asking Trump supporters to engage in an intellectual exercise.

It would be much easier if they were better at articulating thoughts and perspectives without shallow talk radio platitudes and reflexive personal attacks.
Perhaps it's a lack of self awareness. Or a shallowness of character.

The assholes who voted for a guy who took showers with his minor daughter, now chiding others for having no moral compass....

Epic.gif

Plenty of women in my life who know I respect and love them.

I also love and respect the constitution....something you wipe your ass with.

GFY
I've seen that rather mindless accusation before. It's unimpressive.

Yikes. My question is causing all manner of scrambling for the exits so you don't have to face facts about who you are supporting. I can't blame you for that. But I can blame you for supporting the man who raped E. Jean Carroll.
ANd your guy raped Tara Reade. And you proudly support him

Plenty of women in my life who know I respect and love them.

I also love and respect the constitution....something you wipe your ass with.

GFY
Respect for the Constitution is incongruous with support for a man who tried to steal the election with his insurrectionist plot.

Personally, I think it's the result of decades of non-stop manipulation, beginning with the day Limbaugh went national.

All of the terms, all of the assumptions, all of the behaviors, and (worst of all) all of the thought processes are exactly the same.
But that does raise the question of why audiences were so ripe for folks like Limbaugh, so ready to hear what he had to say.

You've lost touch with reality.

But you're 100 percent in touch. Uh huh.

"I do remember her telling me that Joe Biden had put her up against a wall and had put his hands up her skirt and had put his fingers inside her," LaCasse said. Reade, as detailed in a previous NPR report, has accused Biden of pinning her against a wall in the hallway of a Capitol Hill building and penetrating her vagina with his fingers in the spring of 1993.

But that does raise the question of why audiences were so ripe for folks like Limbaugh, so ready to hear what he had to say.
Two things: First, he made plenty of perfectly reasonable points. Any intelligent person can effectively argue both sides of any issue. I often agreed with his base case, before he'd go off the rails with his hyperbolic showbiz. And also, as the old saying goes, "the best lies contain a kernel of truth".

But also, remember that he started as a DJ, an entertainer. He brought that DJ sensibility -- which is not brought by people like Hannity, et al -- to his shows, using humor and satire very, very well. So he spoke to a lot of people, and he did it in a VERY engaging way. That's one helluva combination.

I've been studying this for over eight years, and I still have a long way to go. It would be much easier if they were better at articulating thoughts and perspectives without shallow talk radio platitudes and reflexive personal attacks.

I have several agreements with them in general. But this group pathology, I just don't get. Yet. Of course, others across the political spectrum are in the same boat.
Republicans have been perfecting the art of indoctrination since 1980.

In an extremely cynical addition, they have also worked diligently towards dumbing down Americans, ensuring their base won't ever actually weigh their performance. Their performance over the past 4 decades has been abysmal, and the base is no longer "into them". For good reason.

Enter Trump. Now take that 4 decades of indoctrination, and give them a carnival barker who says the quiet part out loud. Now it starts to make sense why logic is pushed aside.

Forum List

Back