If There Is No God, Murder Is Not Wrong

If there is no God, murder isn't wrong. You may think it's wrong, but how do you know it's wrong? As Dennis Prager explains, without God, all morality is mere opinion.

This is why I’ve always been worried that if Christians lose their faith, there’s nothing to hold them back from all their evil intentions.

Look how awful they are now and they claim to follow a moral God.

Who the hell are you to say your version of morality is superior?
To the north koren dictators' morality? I say it. Go ahead, let's hear your argument otherwise, shitforbrains.
You’re the Dufus claiming government determines morality. So Dufus, NK is a government.

Government doesn't determine morality. Society does. Morality is a cultural construct, a tool to facilitate the success of a people.
Yupp, and our evolved brains can study cause and effect and determine an objectively better moral system comparing any two.

Its not that difficult. & the majority of the man-made religions obviously took from that and added "because god," meanwhile, the majority of man-made religions write of barbaric gods that are morally bankrupt.

To the north koren dictators' morality? I say it. Go ahead, let's hear your argument otherwise, shitforbrains.
You’re the Dufus claiming government determines morality. So Dufus, NK is a government.

Government doesn't determine morality. Society does. Morality is a cultural construct, a tool to facilitate the success of a people.
Yupp, and our evolved brains can study cause and effect and determine an objectively better moral system comparing any two.

Its not that difficult. & the majority of the man-made religions obviously took from that and added "because god," meanwhile, the majority of man-made religions write of barbaric gods that are morally bankrupt.

Yep. The argument pursued by the OP is really just the basic question of belief in a god. If you posit a supreme, omniscient, omni-benevolent being - of course you'll look to them as the source of morality. You'd be a fool not to.

And if you don't, you work out your own morality with your community using reason and instinct.

If there is no God, murder isn't wrong. You may think it's wrong, but how do you know it's wrong? As Dennis Prager explains, without God, all morality is mere opinion.

This is why I’ve always been worried that if Christians lose their faith, there’s nothing to hold them back from all their evil intentions.

So what faith holds secularists back from their evil intentions?

We are all human.

We are all human.

Its not faith, its reason.

We are all human.

Some are more human than others. You wouldn’t understand.

Morality.

We are all human.

We are all human.

So all humans are not equal?

Please educate us.

We are all human.

Of course they're not. You might argue they're "created equal" (though even that is a stretch). The important thing is that they are equal under the law. That's what political equality means. It doesn't mean everyone has the same amount of power in society. It just means that we all get the same protections, and must follow the same laws, regardless of how much power we have in society.

Yep. The argument pursued by the OP is really just the basic question of belief in a god. If you posit a supreme, omniscient, omni-benevolent being - of course you'll look to them as the source of morality. You'd be a fool not to.

And if you don't, you work out your own morality with your community using reason and instinct.
If you posit a supreme, omniscient, omni-benevolent being - of course you'll look to them as the source of morality. You'd be a fool not to.

Exactly. And many communities throughout history and today accept murder as if it is nothing more than eating and drinking.

So why do you believe atheists cannot be good?

correct--there is no god
...any way, humans have been murdering/raping/robbing/getting jealous/hateful/etc since they were human!! = not a sin--it's what humans do

We are all human.

Of course they're not. You might argue they're "created equal" (though even that is a stretch). The important thing is that they are equal under the law. That's what political equality means. It doesn't mean everyone has the same amount of power in society. It just means that we all get the same protections, and must follow the same laws, regardless of how much power we have in society.

Laws can be anything. People write them on a piece of paper...so?

What is good, and what is truth?

(Disclosure..I am going Zen)

correct--there is no god
...any way, humans have been murdering/raping/robbing/getting jealous/hateful/etc since they were human!! = not a sin--it's what humans do

Yep. And without a higher authority compelling us to not murder, we will do what we think we can get away with.

Absolute nonsense. Every culture has had laws against harming others, whether murder, rape or just assault. There have been social classes that were exempt, but that is more about corruption than about morality.

I have had numerous people tell me that without God people would murder and rape as much as they wanted. I find that laughable. Right now I murder and rape as much as I want.
Many cultures have not. In just the past century godless Governments have slaughtered over 262 MILLION of their OWN CITIZENS.

And they did it because they FELT it was the right thing to do.
“If there is no God, murder isn't wrong.”

This fails as a non sequitur fallacy.

Ethical and moral values are perfectly capable of functioning absent a believe in a ‘god’ or religious dogma – including the principle that murder is wrong.

• Thanks
Reactions: GT

correct--there is no god

Yep. And without a higher authority compelling us to not murder, we will do what we think we can get away with.

I dont need a higher authority compelling me not to murder, psychopath.

Absolute nonsense. Every culture has had laws against harming others, whether murder, rape or just assault. There have been social classes that were exempt, but that is more about corruption than about morality.

I have had numerous people tell me that without God people would murder and rape as much as they wanted. I find that laughable. Right now I murder and rape as much as I want.
Many cultures have not. In just the past century godless Governments have slaughtered over 262 MILLION of their OWN CITIZENS.

And they did it because they FELT it was the right thing to do.
“If there is no God, murder isn't wrong.”

This fails as a non sequitur fallacy.

Ethical and moral values are perfectly capable of functioning absent a believe in a ‘god’ or religious dogma – including the principle that murder is wrong.

You refer to mere opinion, which validates the OP.
North Korea has their opinion on morality, other societies have theirs.

Forum List

Back