Is simply being required to read something a violation of religious beliefs?

It is clear that you do not have the same values as I do. You value ignorance and superstition rather than reason and rationality. You want to be told what to think by whoever happened to translate the ancient Hebrew texts that make up the Bible rather than experience life yourself and, using the ability to reason that all humans are endowed with, to determine what is right and what is wrong; what is good and what is evil;what is worth pursing in life and what is better left alone. By all means, stay away from institutions of higher learning and keep your kids away. Why waste an education on a mind not suited to receive it?
But paddy... are you a product of these cherished institutions?

You are the result?

I would love to disprove your theory based on that alone.
No. 12 years of Catholic School and small Methodist liberal arts college. Each place challenged us to read and write about things outside our comfort zone. My catholic high school education exposed me to many of the same writings you assholes don't think college students should be exposed to. Duke was probably beyond my academic reach, but I never applied so I don't know. What community college did you flunk out of?

I recommend everyone read the bible. Its amazing the amount of stupidity and hypocrisy in that book. It makes an interesting study with all of its contradictions and out right false translations.

You can bring a child (or adult) to read a book, but you cannot make him comprehend.

That is why Jesus instituted His Church. To be the authority to guide and explain and instruct.
If it takes a lifetime of indoctrination to comprehend then its not a very efficient way of doing things and smacks of manmade tomfoolery. It should be as simple as say the 10 commandments.

It is clear that you do not have the same values as I do. You value ignorance and superstition rather than reason and rationality. You want to be told what to think by whoever happened to translate the ancient Hebrew texts that make up the Bible rather than experience life yourself and, using the ability to reason that all humans are endowed with, to determine what is right and what is wrong; what is good and what is evil;what is worth pursing in life and what is better left alone. By all means, stay away from institutions of higher learning and keep your kids away. Why waste an education on a mind not suited to receive it?

You are the result?

No. 12 years of Catholic School and small Methodist liberal arts college. Each place challenged us to read and write about things outside our comfort zone. My catholic high school education exposed me to many of the same writings you assholes don't think college students should be exposed to. Duke was probably beyond my academic reach, but I never applied so I don't know. What community college did you flunk out of?
I went to a four year Catholic college in St. Paul, Mn --- St. Thomas back in the 80s. As far as religion goes, they were virtually of no value to me. I learned about Catholicism and the Christian faith on my own accord during my wild 20s and since. I read the lives of the saints if I want to be educated. And I do not ignore the countless well-documented miracles of the 20th century for validation.

You sound like a secular humanist to me? What is that going to get you at its best? A sense of professional accomplishment, material comfort, a nice school for your kids, and then a nice retirement. What good is any of that by comparison? I would be much more grateful to God if he had made me a Hindu beggar in India.

You are the result?

I went to a four year Catholic college in St. Paul, Mn --- St. Thomas back in the 80s. As far as religion goes, they were virtually of no value to me. I learned about Catholicism and the Christian faith on my own accord during my wild 20s and since. I read the lives of the saints if I want to be educated. And I do not ignore the countless well-documented miracles of the 20th century for validation.

You sound like a secular humanist to me? What is that going to get you at its best? A sense of professional accomplishment, material comfort, a nice school for your kids, and then a nice retirement. What good is any of that by comparison? I would be much more grateful to God if he had made me a Hindu beggar in India.
Instead, he made you a moron from Minnesota.

If it takes a lifetime of indoctrination to comprehend then its not a very efficient way of doing things and smacks of manmade tomfoolery. It should be as simple as say the 10 commandments.

Well I am guessing you have had a "lifetime of indoctrination" and still people end up on opposite ends of the spectrum.

So there is more to it than just exposure, obviously. I think in most cases it takes humility and a total abandonment of pride and self to even begin the journey seeking truth or understanding.

Well I am guessing you have had a "lifetime of indoctrination" and still people end up on opposite ends of the spectrum.

So there is more to it than just exposure, obviously. I think in most cases it takes humility and a total abandonment of pride and self to even begin the journey seeking truth or understanding.
Everyone has had a life time of indoctrination. Just depends on what you allow yourself to be indoctrinated by. For example I was indoctrinated on the true history of my people by my parents and was able to shake off the attempted indoctrination by the white power establishment.

The journey to truth and understanding is through a comic book. Huey, Dewey and Louie would be so proud.

The university should actually be ashamed of itself for even recommending tripe like this.

The Great American Novel, from Hemingway and London to comic books. It's the de-evolution of literature. No more prose. No more power. A line drawing will do.

College Students Refuse To Read Award-Winning Novel Because It Violates Their Christian Beliefs

I get that Christians do not approve of homosexuality and that it goes against their religious beliefs. But is reading a book based on a true story of a girl realizing she is gay and finding out her father (who committed suicide) was gay?

I am not a buddhist, taoist, or racist, but I have read books on all of those (from their point of view).

That is what college is about...reading different material. Id want to read it.
...but what if a Muslim or any other person didnt want to read it based on their religion. I have a feeling their request would be honored and another option wold be made available to them. Not saying that to be pissy...I just really think that would happen.

If the students were required to read the bible, leftist would go nuts.
There are certainly classes where the bible is required reading. And most leftists are Christians.
The party of abortion cannot be christian.
Sin, is sin, regardless of the sin...

With God, murder is no greater a sin than Adultery, than bearing false witness, than Stealing, than any of the other 10 Commandments when it comes to Christ dying for your sins...

We ALL fall short of the glory of God... and you my dear, are falling short of the Glory of God, with your holier than thou statement....

So be it, and thank goodness for Christ's sacrifice, for you...
They are children of God being murdered and the liberals are fighting for that right to do that. Then on top of it all they are cutting the babies up for profit. I agree all sins can send you to hell, but fighting for the right to kill Gods children for convinence. There is a special place in hell for those people.
At Duke University?
I'm sure there are plenty of liberals at Duke.

No. I have had a lifetime of education, some of it in school most of it on my own. I have read more than the "lives of Saints", though I did read that when I was in grade school. That was about the intellectual level of that
The journey to truth and understanding is through a comic book. Huey, Dewey and Louie would be so proud.

The university should actually be ashamed of itself for even recommending tripe like this.

The Great American Novel, from Hemingway and London to comic books. It's the de-evolution of literature. No more prose. No more power. A line drawing will do.
Not a comic book, dipshit, a graphic novel. And, since you never read it, you are not fit to offer an opinion on it. Now, crawl back into your hold with your copy of the Lives of Saints.

There are certainly classes where the bible is required reading. And most leftists are Christians.

With God, murder is no greater a sin than Adultery, than bearing false witness, than Stealing, than any of the other 10 Commandments when it comes to Christ dying for your sins...

We ALL fall short of the glory of God... and you my dear, are falling short of the Glory of God, with your holier than thou statement....

They are children of God being murdered and the liberals are fighting for that right to do that. Then on top of it all they are cutting the babies up for profit. I agree all sins can send you to hell, but fighting for the right to kill Gods children for convinence. There is a special place in hell for those people.
At Duke University?
Generally, where you find educated folks you tend to find more liberals. Now, the trailer park on the other side of Durham, that would be where the right wingers offended by education could be found.

College Students Refuse To Read Award-Winning Novel Because It Violates Their Christian Beliefs

I get that Christians do not approve of homosexuality and that it goes against their religious beliefs. But is reading a book based on a true story of a girl realizing she is gay and finding out her father (who committed suicide) was gay?

I am not a buddhist, taoist, or racist, but I have read books on all of those (from their point of view).

...but what if a Muslim or any other person didnt want to read it based on their religion. I have a feeling their request would be honored and another option wold be made available to them. Not saying that to be pissy...I just really think that would happen.
You have a "feeling"? How about provide an example of when that occurred. Or, better yet, understand that for these students they were allowed to opt out of reading this book.

If the students were required to read the bible, leftist would go nuts.

orly.jpg

Yes. In literature and religion and philosophy classes. You would know this if you had an education.

Most Leftists are Christians? Was that just a bunch of random words strung together

You have a "feeling"? How about provide an example of when that occurred. Or, better yet, understand that for these students they were allowed to opt out of reading this book.

Muslims have strict religious laws and there are mannnny instances where they are honored.

If they were allowed to opt out, whats the problem????
Someone doesnt want to read about homosexuals..Many would, some wouldnt.
...they CHOSE not to do something. :dunno:

At Duke University?
Generally, where you find educated folks you tend to find more liberals. Now, the trailer park on the other side of Durham, that would be where the right wingers offended by education could be found.
Like the smarts Obama has shown us. Lol, no thanks I learned more in middle school, than Obama learned in his entire college career. Which if it wasn't for affirmative action, it wouldn't of happened. Thanks to us white working folk.

Muslims have strict religious laws and there are mannnny instances where they are honored.

If they were allowed to opt out, whats the problem????
Someone doesnt want to read about homosexuals..Many would, some wouldnt.
...they CHOSE not to do something. :dunno:
No muslim religious laws are honored when the conflict with US law. And the problem is that right wing idiots wanted to make this an issue and the only way they could is by claiming, falsely, that Duke students were forced, under pain of a failing grade. to read a graphic novel that was about a woman and the tragic suicide of her father. It became a best seller and a Tony Award winning play on Broadway. It was selected because of it strength as a work or art, not because of any message in sent. But, if any message was sent, it was to value all human life; to consider the different journey's we all take in life. But, because the author was gay and it was about her father who was a closeted gay man who killed himself, some morons disprove of it.

At Duke University?
Like the smarts Obama has shown us. Lol, no thanks I learned more in middle school, than Obama learned in his entire college career. Which if it wasn't for affirmative action, it wouldn't of happened. Thanks to us white working folk.
Right. He got into Harvard Law School on affirmative action, was elected to the Law Review and became its editor and then graduated with honors because of affirmative action. The reason you did not get into college was not affirmative action, it was because you are a fucking moron.

At Duke University?
Its the least you could do after having white affirmative action for 400 years in your favor.

At Duke University?
Right. He got into Harvard Law School on affirmative action, was elected to the Law Review and became its editor and then graduated with honors because of affirmative action. The reason you did not get into college was not affirmative action, it was because you are a fucking moron.
If he did good in college, he would be bragging about it. He has paid millions to keep them records sealed. Also if he was so great, why isn't there anyone out talking about how great he was. Truth is he was a druggie that used affirmative action to get his degrees. If he wasn't black he wouldn't be president. That's the only reason he got elected. Jimmy Carter loves Obama!

Forum List

Back