Is simply being required to read something a violation of religious beliefs?

College Students Refuse To Read Award-Winning Novel Because It Violates Their Christian Beliefs

I get that Christians do not approve of homosexuality and that it goes against their religious beliefs. But is reading a book based on a true story of a girl realizing she is gay and finding out her father (who committed suicide) was gay?

I am not a buddhist, taoist, or racist, but I have read books on all of those (from their point of view).

The most strict Christian's don't believe in exposing themselves, willingly, to information about any type of believed "sin" - many don't watch secular movies or TV. They feel that their lives are given over to God and that they need to fill their minds and thoughts with things that are pure and good.....

Philippians 4:8

8 Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is commendable, if there is any excellence, if there is anything worthy of praise, think about these things

College Students Refuse To Read Award-Winning Novel Because It Violates Their Christian Beliefs

I get that Christians do not approve of homosexuality and that it goes against their religious beliefs. But is reading a book based on a true story of a girl realizing she is gay and finding out her father (who committed suicide) was gay?

I am not a buddhist, taoist, or racist, but I have read books on all of those (from their point of view).
No, reading a book isn't a violation of religious beliefs. That said, they can certainly refuse to read it and flunk the course.

No, reading a book isn't a violation of religious beliefs. That said, they can certainly refuse to read it and flunk the course.
forcing it is endorsement

psssssssssssssst. Homosexuality is not a religion.

pssssssssssssssst, it goes against religions so the enorsement of it is a infringement of religion.

So
If this was part of a literature class and the students were going to critique the book, read it. You won't die.

It wasn't. It was assigned to all incoming freshmen given a summer reading list.

The book is probably deserving of discussion. The father's mental illness of homosexuality, the effect on his daughter and how being homosexual led to his suicide is worthy of discussion.
So, you read it?
I read the article that gave a synopsis of the book. I would not read the book because gay issues are meaningless to me.

If the students were required to read the bible, leftist would go nuts.
There are certainly classes where the bible is required reading. And most leftists are Christians.
The party of abortion cannot be christian.
Sin, is sin, regardless of the sin...

With God, murder is no greater a sin than Adultery, than bearing false witness, than Stealing, than any of the other 10 Commandments when it comes to Christ dying for your sins...

We ALL fall short of the glory of God... and you my dear, are falling short of the Glory of God, with your holier than thou statement....

So be it, and thank goodness for Christ's sacrifice, for you...

There's no course to flunk.

So
If this was part of a literature class and the students were going to critique the book, read it. You won't die.

It wasn't. It was assigned to all incoming freshmen given a summer reading list.

The book is probably deserving of discussion. The father's mental illness of homosexuality, the effect on his daughter and how being homosexual led to his suicide is worthy of discussion.
So, you read it?
I read the article that gave a synopsis of the book. I would not read the book because gay issues are meaningless to me.
Lucky my kids go to Catholic school. No faggy books to read.

So

So, you read it?
Lucky my kids go to Catholic school. No faggy books to read.

Ours go to private schools, no faggy books there either.

If the students were required to read the bible, leftist would go nuts.
There are certainly classes where the bible is required reading. And most leftists are Christians.
The party of abortion cannot be christian.
Sin, is sin, regardless of the sin...

With God, murder is no greater a sin than Adultery, than bearing false witness, than Stealing, than any of the other 10 Commandments when it comes to Christ dying for your sins...

We ALL fall short of the glory of God... and you my dear, are falling short of the Glory of God, with your holier than thou statement....

So be it, and thank goodness for Christ's sacrifice, for you...
They are children of God being murdered and the liberals are fighting for that right to do that. Then on top of it all they are cutting the babies up for profit. I agree all sins can send you to hell, but fighting for the right to kill Gods children for convinence. There is a special place in hell for those people.

I look at all the books I've been made to read in school..

To Kill A Mockingbird
Catcher In The Rye
The Grapes Of Wrath
Julie Of The Wolves
Black Boy
A Tale Of Two Cities
My Brother Sam Is Dead
Of Mice And Men
Where The Red Fern Grows

Communists, multiculturalists, and other Left wing degenerates wrote these books. (Except Harper Lee). Some had valuable lessons, others, like Steinback's books, I reject entirely.

The point is, if indoctrination were the intent, it sure failed with me. Kids are natural rebels and that's a good thing. I remember well how I dug in my heels and defied what the communist leftist public school system was teaching me. You might even say I was radicalized by it and I decided long ago (age 11) to spend my life fighting Leftists.

So I say bring it on! The more you try to pound into kids' skulls that faggotry is the next civil rights issue, the more they will resist you.

Well, you could always just stick with Green Eggs and Ham or something like that, if it makes you feel better...
Gotta love Dr. Seuss. The point of that book was laizze faire self determinism. Who knew I was being inoculated for the Leftist gauntlet to come?
Lol!!

Gesendet von meinem GT-I9515 mit Tapatalk

It is endorsing understanding people who are different than you. If you want a curriculum that condemns homosexuality, perhaps a christian college is better for you.

It is endorsing understanding people who are different than you. If you want a curriculum that condemns homosexuality, perhaps a christian college is better for you.
who said I wanted to condemn homosexuality?
Wouldnt it be equally beneficial to understand why Christians think the way they do?

pssssssssssssssst, it goes against religions so the enorsement of it is a infringement of religion.

Not against all religions.

No, it is not. I had a class where I had to read Marx and Ayn Rand. Which view did the class endorse?

I would say that it is a violation because whoever is forcing the reading of this material is endorsing the gay lifestyle.

Reading a book about gay people will not make you gay. But it might make you see them as people.
Then I guess reading a Bible wont make you a Christian either.

Nope, it won't. Let me know if you find any stories of private universities not allowing the bible to be read.

Forum List

Back