Liberals, let's make a deal - Guns & Abortion

kaz

Diamond Member
Dec 1, 2010
Kazmania
So, abortion is a "Constitutional right." Guns are in the Bill of Rights. So, let's apply things that are hunky dory for you with guns to abortion.

- Let's heavily tax abortions
- Let's make people apply for a permit from government to get one
- Let's let government deny the right to get one to people who are unstable in any way and can't rationally make the choice for themselves.
- Let's allow cities and States who don't want them to just ban them outright.

So what do you say? Can all Constitutional rights be subject to your rules on guns?

So, abortion is a "Constitutional right." Guns are in the Bill of Rights. So, let's apply things that are hunky dory for you with guns to abortion.

- Let's let government deny the right to get one to people who are unstable in any way and can't rationally make the choice for themselves.

So what do you say? Can all Constitutional rights be subject to your rules on guns?

Let’s consider some of the problems with your ‘proposal.’

What might be criteria for a reasonable restriction for one right are not necessarily for another; and likewise what might constitute an undue burden for one right may not be for another.

For example, requiring a woman to obtain a ‘permit’ first before exercising her right to privacy with regard to abortion is completely absent a legitimate legislative purpose, has no rational basis whatsoever, is unsupported by any documented evidence, and would exist only to manifest an undue burden for a woman to indeed exercise her right to privacy.

Permits for firearms, on the other hand, do constitute a reasonable regulation of firearms. In Hightower v. City of Boston, for example, the First Circuit upheld as Constitutional Massachusetts’ concealed carry licensing requirement that a permit applicant be a ‘suitable person’ and that the government may regulate the carrying of a concealed weapon outside of the home.

In March of last year a Manhattan Federal Court judge ruled that the City’s permit and fee requirement were Constitutional:

“There is no evidence that the fee has deterred or is likely to deter any individual from exercising his or her Second Amendment right.”

City's $340 gun permit*fee upheld in Manhattan Federal Court - NY Daily News

Moreover, no ‘liberal’ advocates ‘banning’ firearms in any jurisdiction. Indeed, liberals consider Heller/McDonald to be accepted and settled law, and are making no effort to have those rulings overturned, unlike conservatives with regard to Roe.

Consequently, your ‘proposal’ is ignorant nonsense, completely devoid of even the most fundamental understanding of Constitutional jurisprudence.

For example, requiring a woman to obtain a ‘permit’ first before exercising her right to privacy with regard to abortion is completely absent a legitimate legislative purpose, has no rational basis whatsoever, is unsupported by any documented evidence, and would exist only to manifest an undue burden for a woman to indeed exercise her right to privacy.

This is EXACTLY like guns. And the rest of your argument falls apart because we can't move past this point.

Liberals are in a cluster about guns.

Socons are in a cluster about abortion.

You're just saying what YOU think makes sense, what THEY think doesn't, so magically you get it and they don't. I don't consider abortion OR guns the job of government to restrict in any way. You do, and you want to pick and choose, just like the socons do.

No deal. Instead, let's let the younger more liberal generation of Americans take over, and in 25 years or so, guns will be heavily regulated, and abortion will be legal and paid for by our national healthcare system. I'm willing to wait. Time is on the side of liberals.

The Supreme Court ruled that cities can't ban guns outright. Why in the FUCK would you compare abortion rights to gun rights and then want abortions to be able to be banned at the state level,

and not guns?

btw, you idiot, some abortions can be banned at the state level. Will you accept that for guns too?

How about we compare the constitutional right of abortion to the constitutional right of practicing the religion of your choice instead?

Let’s consider some of the problems with your ‘proposal.’

What might be criteria for a reasonable restriction for one right are not necessarily for another; and likewise what might constitute an undue burden for one right may not be for another.

Permits for firearms, on the other hand, do constitute a reasonable regulation of firearms. In Hightower v. City of Boston, for example, the First Circuit upheld as Constitutional Massachusetts’ concealed carry licensing requirement that a permit applicant be a ‘suitable person’ and that the government may regulate the carrying of a concealed weapon outside of the home.

In March of last year a Manhattan Federal Court judge ruled that the City’s permit and fee requirement were Constitutional:

“There is no evidence that the fee has deterred or is likely to deter any individual from exercising his or her Second Amendment right.”

City's $340 gun permit*fee upheld in Manhattan Federal Court - NY Daily News

Moreover, no ‘liberal’ advocates ‘banning’ firearms in any jurisdiction. Indeed, liberals consider Heller/McDonald to be accepted and settled law, and are making no effort to have those rulings overturned, unlike conservatives with regard to Roe.

Consequently, your ‘proposal’ is ignorant nonsense, completely devoid of even the most fundamental understanding of Constitutional jurisprudence.

Still haven't read JoeB's post and his supporters i see, even though you post in the same threads?

The Supreme Court ruled that cities can't ban guns outright. Why in the FUCK would you compare abortion rights to gun rights and then want abortions to be able to be banned at the state level,

and not guns?

btw, you idiot, some abortions can be banned at the state level. Will you accept that for guns too?

My point is regarding what liberals want. That even the liberal courts overturned liberals on guns even just a little shows what extremists you are.

And that the courts opened the door to slight gun ownership doesn't change that a gun at home is useless when you're being shot at. Ask 12 dead people in the Washington Navy Yard about that.

How about we compare the constitutional right of abortion to the constitutional right of practicing the religion of your choice instead?

Seriously, you don't even grasp this thread? The point is your double standard about guns versus abortion. I hope you're hot because the only way you're earning a living is with handouts or on your back. I guess since you are here every day asking for handouts...

Kaz, you can represent only yourself on the deal.

murder in utero is NOT a constituational "right" no matter what leftards lie.

Well according to the Supreme Court one does have the right to obtain an abortion. Roe v Wade was also a 7-2 majority. With five republican appointed justices voting in favor.
What is a constitutional right, is the right to privacy which gives the woman the right to make a decision with her doctor etc..
A Nixon appointee also wrote the majority opinion.
So yes, thanks to five republican appointed justices women have the right to make private decision on what they do with their body.

Not surprised a big government conservative doesn't agree.

Isn't that what republicans are trying to do?
Regulate abortions?
You are an idiot.

OK, Vox, I've read a lot of posts and you're smarter than that. The point is that liberals are running around with all these gun restrictions and saying it's fine to tax, regulate and so forth. But when it comes to something they want, then they don't support any of those things. Look how they just avoid the question, even they see their hypocrisy.

As for me, I wouldn't take the deal either. I am pro-choice, but I agree with you there is no Constitutional right to an abortion. Roe v. Wade is a Constitutional abomination. Abortion is a State issue by the 10th amendment. I also oppose gun laws.

This thread isn't to debate those issues though, it's to demonstrate the flagrant liberal hypocrisy regarding Constitutional rights. But if I don't do that according to their own views by arguing things like whether abortion is a right or not, I won't be showing the hypocrisy.

The difference being abortion laws affect no one but the person having the abortion, Gun laws affect "everyone"

Isn't that what republicans are trying to do?
Regulate abortions?
You are an idiot.

Another liberal whiff. You even understand the question and YOU are calling ME an idiot?

The difference being abortion laws affect no one but the person having the abortion, Gun laws affect "everyone"

Irrelevant to the question unless you're arguing some Constitutional rights are more important to others regarding the law. The question is to liberals who believe abortion is a Constitutional right and guns are actually in the Bill of Rights. Yet they are in favor of severely restricting guns, and I'm showing by their non-responsive answers that they aren't OK with that for rights they support.

I am consistent. I am pro-choice, but I consider making up Constitutional rights to be more dangerous than not because what the government can grant, it can take away.

Forum List

Back