Malaysian airliner missing with 239 people on board

Soo...the plane was actively pinging satellites or transmitting engine data for four hours after the radar transponders went silent.

U.S. Investigators Suspect Missing Malaysia Airlines Plane Flew On for Hours - WSJ.com

Those systems are automatic. They are independent of cockpit control.

It kind of narrows the possibilities. Cockpit navigation and communications equipment malfunction, or deliberate hijacking by someone on the plane.

(Ok, the CIA might have hacked into the planes flight control system and diverted it to a black ops base, but really?)

even though the transponder was off and they lost contact another automated system called ping continued to send data

U.S. officials have an "indication" the missing Malaysia Airlines jetliner may have crashed in the Indian Ocean and is moving the USS Kidd to the area to begin searching.

It's not clear what the indication was, but senior administration officials told ABC News the missing Malaysian flight continued to "ping" a satellite on an hourly basis after it lost contact with radar. The Boeing 777 jetliners are equipped with what is called the Airplane Health Management system in which they ping a satellite every hour. The number of pings would indicate how long the plane stayed aloft.

It's not clear, however, whether the satellite pings also indicate the plane's location.

The new information has greatly expanded the search area and it will take another 24 hours to move the USS Kidd into position, a senior Pentagon official told ABC News.

the satellite relays data to engineers. engine fucntion, rate of fuel and oil consumption and all systems on board. do they still have the data?? who knows

link

From what I just heard there were 3 tracking devices on that plane and they were manually turned off at different times. So catastrophic event not in the picture. Also they think the plane turned around, but the real whammy is that family members have been calling cell phones and stated they're still ringing, which would indicate they're not in water. Just off of the logic map here, I feel so bad for the families, none of it makes any sense. How does a commercial airliner just disappear?

Last edited:
an airline expert im not. but why in the hell do they have transponders in the cockpit??? its the first thing hijackers switch off. seems to me it should be moved to some place inaccessible like back where the black box's are.

The transponder controls are in the cockpit because the pilots have to be able to change transponder codes at ATC's request. ATC often request pilots to "squawk" different codes depending on the flight path. They also have several assigned codes to use for emergency conditions (like hijack, radio inop, decompression, etc)

Sent from my NWO shill phone using TapYourLine II.

but you and anyone here can just walk in and shut it off. hello ??

Seems impossible even with its transponders off an aircraft couldn't be tracked. May not have ID and altitude anymore among a sea of other radar returns, but can't those radars filter out the known aircraft leacing only unknown returns? Can't be that many on the very day it vanished.

Seems impossible even with its transponders off an aircraft couldn't be tracked. May not have ID and altitude anymore among a sea of other radar returns, but can't those radars filter out the known aircraft leacing only unknown returns? Can't be that many on the very day it vanished.

agreed. but its not there. totally dependent on the transponder. to me the most dangerous piece of equipment on board. if it remained on we know where this flight went to. and the technology is there to fix it. otherwise stand by for more repeat disasters and more dead passengers

even though the transponder was off and they lost contact another automated system called ping continued to send data

U.S. officials have an "indication" the missing Malaysia Airlines jetliner may have crashed in the Indian Ocean and is moving the USS Kidd to the area to begin searching.

It's not clear what the indication was, but senior administration officials told ABC News the missing Malaysian flight continued to "ping" a satellite on an hourly basis after it lost contact with radar. The Boeing 777 jetliners are equipped with what is called the Airplane Health Management system in which they ping a satellite every hour. The number of pings would indicate how long the plane stayed aloft.

It's not clear, however, whether the satellite pings also indicate the plane's location.

The new information has greatly expanded the search area and it will take another 24 hours to move the USS Kidd into position, a senior Pentagon official told ABC News.

the satellite relays data to engineers. engine fucntion, rate of fuel and oil consumption and all systems on board. do they still have the data?? who knows

link

From what I just heard there were 3 tracking devices on that plane and they were manually turned off at different times. So catastrophic event not in the picture. Also they think the plane turned around, but the real whammy is that family members have been calling cell phones and stated they're still ringing, which would indicate they're not in water. Just off of the logic map here, I feel so bad for the families, none of it makes any sense. How does a commercial airliner just disappear?

We have already addressed the cell phone issue. It is patently stupid to say they are 'still ringing' after this long of a time. Cells run down just from the power it takes to run them. They would have been off days ago. But, golly gee, we know they ALL had their chargers on board and they ALL have been allowed to charge them, but they aren't allowed to answer them. Drop the cell phone issue. That is stupid. We've already established that. Plane at bottom of ocean. All passengers dead. But cell phones ring. Stupid. Move on.

Last edited:
an airline expert im not. but why in the hell do they have transponders in the cockpit??? its the first thing hijackers switch off. seems to me it should be moved to some place inaccessible like back where the black box's are.

The transponder controls are in the cockpit because the pilots have to be able to change transponder codes at ATC's request. ATC often request pilots to "squawk" different codes depending on the flight path. They also have several assigned codes to use for emergency conditions (like hijack, radio inop, decompression, etc)

Not sure your garden variety terrorist could do that. The 9-11 terrorists took flying lessons and could drive a plane around the sky, but the weren't trained to fly jets. I don't think an islamic terrorist would have a clue about that.

happened to radar?

Last edited:

I don't see how a plane 4 hours out into the ocean could be 'tracked.' I've flown over the Atlantic, the Pacific, and the Mediterranean. I've never seen a tower or doppler in the middle of them.

Radar only extends so far. Most of us landlubbers understand that air traffic controllers typically use radar to monitor a flight's progress. That's all very well over land. But radar also has a limited range, and you can't put a radar station in the middle of the ocean. So pilots often have to stay in contact through other means, such as periodic radio check-ins. In between check-ins, the controller has only a general idea of where a plane is and where it's headed.
[/quote]

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs...very-move-how-can-an-entire-plane-go-missing/

Last edited:

Not sure your garden variety terrorist could do that. The 9-11 terrorists took flying lessons and could drive a plane around the sky, but the weren't trained to fly jets. I don't think an islamic terrorist would have a clue about that.

Muhammed Atta and Hani Hanjour both had commercial pilots licenses. Hanjour almost got hired by Emerites Airline when he went to Jeddah in 2000.

Muhammad Atta did not have a license. He was still in flight school when he flew a plane into the WTC. In fact, six months after the event, Atta was sent a letter approving his request for grant money to continue in school. We paid for the training he got.

The Malaysian authorities knew almost immediately that the plane went off course and waited 90 hours before telling anyone. No one finds that rather odd?

Muhammad Atta did not have a license. He was still in flight school when he flew a plane into the WTC. In fact, six months after the event, Atta was sent a letter approving his request for grant money to continue in school. We paid for the training he got.

The Malaysian authorities knew almost immediately that the plane went off course and waited 90 hours before telling anyone. No one finds that rather odd?

Here's Atta's TAC. The third area clearly reads "Commercial Pilot"

Atta_Temporary_Airman_Certificate_21st_December_2000.png

Here's Atta's TAC. The third area clearly reads "Commercial Pilot"

Atta_Temporary_Airman_Certificate_21st_December_2000.png

Says he only had 'private pilot privileges'. Not commercial. Big difference. My brother and nephew both have small planes. No comparison.

Muhammed Atta and Hani Hanjour both had commercial pilots licenses. Hanjour almost got hired by Emerites Airline when he went to Jeddah in 2000.

Yeah, it says commercial in the title, but read below that.

It is a commercial license. The 4 categories are ratings he achieved newest to oldest. The last rating he got was MultiEngine Land. That would qualify him to fly jets, but not over water.

happened to radar?

and those lessons included the location of the transponders. 3 of 4 planes hyjacked on 911 had them turned off. they learned well

That is right. You start out with a private pilot's license and upgrade from there. You add words to your license like Instrument Rating and then you go from single engine to multi-engine aircraft. Each time you step up you need to have a certain number of hours to complete your rating unless you have a flight school that will let you train on a different kind of aircraft from the beginning and will lend you their plane. That is like being lent a lot of money.

Instrument rating - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Forum List

Back