Marijuana Ruling Could Signal End of Prohibition on Pot

BlueGin

Diamond Member
Jul 10, 2004
Well Yeah. Just think of all the regulations, fines and taxes they are missing out on.

It's legal to light up in Colorado and Washington, and soon smoking pot could be legalized across the country following a decision Thursday by the federal government.

After Washington state and Colorado passed laws in November 2012 legalizing the consumption and sale of marijuana for adults over 18, lawmakers in both states waited to see whether the federal government would continue to prosecute pot crimes under federal statutes in their states.

Both Colorado and Washington have been working to set up regulatory systems in order to license and tax marijuana growers and retail sellers, but have been wary of whether federal prosecutors would come after them for doing so. They are the first states to legalize pot, and therefore to go through the process of trying to set up a regulatory system.

Consumption and sale of marijuana is still illegal in all other states, though some cities and towns have passed local laws decriminalizing it or making it a low priority for law enforcement officers. There are also movements in many states to legalize pot, including legalization bills introduced in Maine and Rhode Island, discussion of possible bills in states including Massachusetts and Vermont, and talk of ballot initiatives in California and Oregon.

But on Thursday, the Department of Justice announced that it would not prosecute marijuana crimes that were legal under state law, a move that could signal the end of the country's longtime prohibition on pot is nearing. "It certainly appears to be potentially the beginning of the end," said Paul Armantano, deputy director of the pot lobby group NORML.

21.5 Million In Marijuana Taxes Just Went Up In Smoke - Forbes

Just found this article, pointing out the snag in reporting taxes on marijuana sales that are legal by state laws,
but still considered illegal federally. So how can businesses report income tax if that forces them to self-incriminate?

So it looks like people are still trying to bypass the taxes, and either buy the usual way to avoid paying,
or some are making legal arguments that they can't comply with tax laws due to Fifth Amendment issues.

Well Yeah. Just think of all the regulations, fines and taxes they are missing out on.

It's legal to light up in Colorado and Washington, and soon smoking pot could be legalized across the country following a decision Thursday by the federal government.

After Washington state and Colorado passed laws in November 2012 legalizing the consumption and sale of marijuana for adults over 18, lawmakers in both states waited to see whether the federal government would continue to prosecute pot crimes under federal statutes in their states.

Both Colorado and Washington have been working to set up regulatory systems in order to license and tax marijuana growers and retail sellers, but have been wary of whether federal prosecutors would come after them for doing so. They are the first states to legalize pot, and therefore to go through the process of trying to set up a regulatory system.

Consumption and sale of marijuana is still illegal in all other states, though some cities and towns have passed local laws decriminalizing it or making it a low priority for law enforcement officers. There are also movements in many states to legalize pot, including legalization bills introduced in Maine and Rhode Island, discussion of possible bills in states including Massachusetts and Vermont, and talk of ballot initiatives in California and Oregon.

But on Thursday, the Department of Justice announced that it would not prosecute marijuana crimes that were legal under state law, a move that could signal the end of the country's longtime prohibition on pot is nearing. "It certainly appears to be potentially the beginning of the end," said Paul Armantano, deputy director of the pot lobby group NORML.

That is one gigantic leap of faith from the feds will not prosecute in a legal state to it will soon be legal everywhere.

I don't know about Colorado but a person has to be 21 years or older to buy and consume marijuana legally in Washington state without a prescription.

A person as young as 16 can get a prescription for medical marijuana without their parents signing permission. People under 16 have to have their parents sign for the medical marijuana prescription.

Those without a prescription are allowed up to 1 oz of dry marijuana. Those who have a prescription can have up to 21 oz of dried marijuana. They can grow up to 15 plants too.

Medical marijuana helped extend my dad's life when he was diagnosed with liver cancer. It's also helping to save my life from breast cancer now.

I support legalization of marijuana for all adults in America. I also support adults being able to grow it legally if they want.

A ballot initiative won't happen in california any time soon. There weren't enough signatures to qualify.

I can tell you this........ It will NEVER be legal on my property, in my car, or in my home.

That is one gigantic leap of faith from the feds will not prosecute in a legal state to it will soon be legal everywhere.

You're quite right. I live in New Jersey which is one of, if not the most repressive states of all, especially regarding marijuana and guns.

The Governor, Chris Christie, has made it as difficult as he could for medical marijuana distribution. Obtaining a card is made more difficult than anywhere else and there are only two dispensaries in the entire state. That means someone who is miserably sick with cancer or some other debilitating condition, and who lives the maximum distance from either dispensary, has to travel a spitefully long distance because of a gluttonous, anti-pleasure gasbag Governor.

A ballot initiative won't happen in california any time soon. There weren't enough signatures to qualify.

That explains all the CA tourists in CO.

And the tourists from IL, TX, NJ, NY, ....etc....well, you get the idea.

Its pretty easy to export too.

Many edibles look exactly like legal candy

p132.jpg

That's why marijuana edibles are poisoning so many children. They look just like candy or cookies.

Even if the federal government legalized pot that doesn't mean it is legal in all states. States can still have their own laws. Cities can pass their own ordinances.

The main problem I see is
* the taxpayers who don't approve of or believe in the unnecessary use of marijuana recreationally
don't want to pay for health problems, irresponsible behavior, risks or causes of accidents from addictions related, etc.
* the taxpayers who WANT the freedom and don't want to pay for wasteful drug wars and excessive law enforcement on nonviolent issues, don't agree to pay for the consequences of it being illegal!

So if there is no way to separate the costs and responsibilities, what do you do?
How can you enforce one way without imposing on the taxpayers who don't want to pay for the consequences of that way?

With religions, you can separate what people practice and pay for.

How do you do that with marijuana use and/or distribution and access which affects the general population?
How can you protect people's rights and interests in NOT paying for things they don't believe in? Either way?

I don't know about Colorado but a person has to be 21 years or older to buy and consume marijuana legally in Washington state without a prescription.

A person as young as 16 can get a prescription for medical marijuana without their parents signing permission. People under 16 have to have their parents sign for the medical marijuana prescription.

Those without a prescription are allowed up to 1 oz of dry marijuana. Those who have a prescription can have up to 21 oz of dried marijuana. They can grow up to 15 plants too.

Medical marijuana helped extend my dad's life when he was diagnosed with liver cancer. It's also helping to save my life from breast cancer now.

I support legalization of marijuana for all adults in America. I also support adults being able to grow it legally if they want.

p132.jpg

They likely taste the same, too. That's what makes it so insidious. At least with alcohol the taste will deter the unsuspecting. Anyone poisons me with pot may suffer death as retribution.

p132.jpg

They likely taste the same, too. That's what makes it so insidious. At least with alcohol the taste will deter the unsuspecting. Anyone poisons me with pot may suffer death as retribution.

They taste only a little different.

Giving these to unsuspecting innocents like yourself is highly illegal. I believe you can be charged with felony assult.

This Halloween in Colorado should be interesting.

That's why marijuana edibles are poisoning so many children. They look just like candy or cookies.

Even if the federal government legalized pot that doesn't mean it is legal in all states. States can still have their own laws. Cities can pass their own ordinances.

Agreed that edibles are a problem. I assume that the parents of children who accidently consume edibles may be charged with abuse.

[

Exactly. And when Obama leaves office (or is thrown in prison) a DOJ not consumed with extorting legal businesses such as ammo manufacturers may find the time to prosecute violations of federal law.

Those who seek to end prohibition need to trigger a legal crisis that sends this to SCOTUS - who I believe would end prohibition as unconstitutional.

p132.jpg

You should probably be locked up for being a mental case.

Actually, you just need to calm down a little...smoke a bowl or something!

I'm sorry. Are USMB nutters united against marihuana use?

I'm rarely surprised by the shit some of you whack jobs say....but claiming they you would beat or kill someone for smoking a joint is pretty fucking crazy.

p132.jpg

You should probably be locked up for being a mental case.

Actually, you just need to calm down a little...smoke a bowl or something!

I'm pretty sure that if anyone wants to poison anyone else, the last thing they'd choose is THC.

Rat poison is much cheaper.

Forum List

Back