My Fellow Americans

With all the ignorant vitriol so frequently expressed here, I note yet again that the vast majority of ESL students in US public schools are natural-born US citizens.

right. Got it. Anchor babies from Illegal entry single mother. Brown is the new Black.

Here's the thing: The U.S. policy - "birthright citizenship" - that grants automatic citizenship to anyone born here is (a) anomalous (though not entirely unique) in today's world, and (b) unsupported by either the U.S. Constitution, any law, or logic. It is the result of an intentional mis-reading of a couple words in the 14th amendment, one that nobody dares to challenge for fear of being "cancelled" or permanently branded a bigot. But it it is bullshit. (Maybe Trump will start an initiative to kill it next year).

The people of whom you speak would, in just about every other country in the world, be NON-citizens because their parents are in the country illegally. So you can put lipstick on that pig if you like, but in fact those kids taking ESL classes are "illegals" in the view of most rational humans.

YOU ^^^^^ are only a US citizen because YOU were born here, just like so many of my students. Don't imagine you're any "better" or ANY bit more of a citizen.

With all the ignorant vitriol so frequently expressed here, I note yet again that the vast majority of ESL students in US public schools are natural-born US citizens.

When students graduate fully, or almost fully, bilingual (or more), they enter the job market with a significant advantage.

YOU ^^^^^ are only a US citizen because YOU were born here, just like so many of my students. Don't imagine you're any "better" or ANY bit more of a citizen.
The test of 'good' citizenship is whether you are sending money 'home' to another country. To my knowledge my family has never done this.

The test of 'good' citizenship is whether you are sending money 'home' to another country. To my knowledge my family has never done this.
Bullshit. During every wave of immigration to the US from Europe they were loads and loads of people sending money back home to family. Some of these families now may be many generations removed from that, but it doesn’t mean it didn’t happen.

Bullshit. During every wave of immigration to the US from Europe they were loads and loads of people sending money back home to family. Some of these families now may be many generations removed from that, but it doesn’t mean it didn’t happen.
They came here to become citizens. Many foreigners today are only here to work and send money home. They have no intention of learning English or becoming citizens.

They came here to become citizens. Many foreigners today are only here to work and send money home. They have no intention of learning English or becoming citizens.
Still full of crap. From the 1890s to the 1920s millions of Italians immigrated to the US. Many sent money back to the "home country," and some 30 percent eventually returned back to Italy. The descendants of those who remained learned English, became citizens, and now enough time has passed that people like you can post bullshit like this.

Still full of crap. From the 1890s to the 1920s millions of Italians immigrated to the US. Many sent money back to the "home country," and some 30 percent eventually returned back to Italy. The descendants of those who remained learned English, became citizens, and now enough time has passed that people like you can post bullshit like this.
Ten million immigrants are "unauthorized". Guess why they're here.

Last edited:
With a 20-year long chain, that's not an anchor. Simply "US citizen" will do.
After age 18 "chain immigration" can begin. It's not the 'anchor' but sure a as hell is the 'chain'.

Last edited:
After age 18 "chain immigration" can begin.
The process can begin. Approval is not guaranteed, and any family who has been in the US illegally during those 18 years will be denied.

There is no such thing as an "anchor baby."

Forum List

Back