pastor whining because town bans church on the beach

I pray IN MY YARD. I pray ON THE ROAD. I pray wherever the fuck I wanna pray and if nobody likes it, tough fucking shit!

Oh, and those who go to visit StoneHenge...and have celebrations there? They should stick to their forests and caves too, huh?

All who go to the public square to pray in Israel...they should also stop, right? They may offend tourists.

Is the purpose of a beach to pray? Or is the purpose of a church to pray?

Beaches were designed with a purpose in mind?

Oh, and those who go to visit StoneHenge...and have celebrations there? They should stick to their forests and caves too, huh?

All who go to the public square to pray in Israel...they should also stop, right? They may offend tourists.

Oh come ON!!! You are shitting me, aren't you? I mean...REALLY???? If this is your mindset, there is nothing more to discuss with that. Sorry, but that is just assinine.

Can I hold an anti abortion demonstration outside a church, during service? Legally, I could, but morally, should I?

Of course I shouldn't and I don't need to state the reason why.

Oh come ON!!! You are shitting me, aren't you? I mean...REALLY???? If this is your mindset, there is nothing more to discuss with that. Sorry, but that is just assinine.

Can I hold an anti abortion demonstration outside a church, during service? Legally, I could, but morally, should I?

Of course you could, and should, it might give you some perspective.

I wouldn't, simply because it is disrespectful to members of the church.

The fact you would think to do it in retaliation proves our point, Noomi.

I wouldn't, simply because it is disrespectful to members of the church.

Thank you for being thoughtful.

But holding a church service in a beach may be disrespectful to... who exactly?

Last edited:
You have to get permission to have a parade in the street, I believe. Was permission sought to have a church service on the beach?

Yes, it was. And it was denied.

By that same token, permission to have gay parades should be denied as well. Wouldn't you agree?

Why was the beach service denied?

"The town of Rehoboth, Delaware says prayer on the public beach might violate the separation of church and state."

Pastor Fights Back After Delaware Town Bans Church Services on Rehoboth Beach | Fox News Insider

During an appearance on Fox and Friends, Pastor Dekker, of the New Covenant Presbyterian Church, said that the city manager’s decision to ban beach services “created a real problem for me because my calling as a pastor is to communicate the gospel by word and by deed to ourselves, to our neighbors, and to the world so that the wonders of the gospel may be known by folks.”

Read more: Pastor Fights Back After Delaware Town Bans Church Services on Rehoboth Beach | Fox News Insider

Uh no dickhead....its not. You are to communicate to people who choose to come to your church...not harass people on a beach with your ranting and raving.

Uh 'fraid so dickless~

"You can't prevent any group from using public property for religious services," Hudson said. "And if atheists wanted to do something and were prevented solely because they didn't have a religion, I'd be standing with the atheists. They have as much right to the public square."

Hiram Sasser, director of litigation at the Texas-based Liberty Institute, said the controversy sounded like a cut-and-dried "facilities access" dispute, something the Supreme Court issued key rulings on during the 1990s.

All of the rulings granted religious groups access to facilities they'd been denied, he said.

Pastor's permit denial inspires Independence Day rally

One side of me says to let them have the church on the beach, the other says to let them hold their own church services on their own property.

My recollection of the video is that the preacher wants to use the bandstand every Sunday for his services. That's like a church saying, "We're gonna take over the town Community Center every Sunday morning (and possibly every Wednesday evening) for our services." If I'm wrong about that, I'll stand corrected, but such a request is patently unreasonable and smells of government sanctioning of religion.

Then they'll want a place to store their stuff to keep from haulin' it back and forth in the church van...and a place to park the buses. Then they'll want to take over the picnic tables and umbrellas.

Then they'll be walkin' up and down the beach two by two, passin' out pamphlets and shit, askin' folks to come on down and share the love and drop some dough in the collection plate so the preacher can dress up nice on weekdays.

If the town lets this church establish Sunday rights to the bandstand, they'll need to provide a synagogue for the Jewish, a mosque for the Muslims and God knows what for the gahdamned atheists...maybe a brothel.

I'm with the Mayor. I commend the preacher for wantin' to spread the word, but let him do it on his own dime.

One side of me says to let them have the church on the beach, the other says to let them hold their own church services on their own property.

My recollection of the video is that the preacher wants to use the bandstand every Sunday for his services. That's like a church saying, "We're gonna take over the town Community Center every Sunday morning (and possibly every Wednesday evening) for our services." If I'm wrong about that, I'll stand corrected, but such a request is patently unreasonable and smells of government sanctioning of religion.

Then they'll want a place to store their stuff to keep from haulin' it back and forth in the church van...and a place to park the buses. Then they'll want to take over the picnic tables and umbrellas.

Then they'll be walkin' up and down the beach two by two, passin' out pamphlets and shit, askin' folks to come on down and share the love and drop some dough in the collection plate so the preacher can dress up nice on weekdays.

If the town lets this church establish Sunday rights to the bandstand, they'll need to provide a synagogue for the Jewish, a mosque for the Muslims and God knows what for the gahdamned atheists...maybe a brothel.

I'm with the Mayor. I commend the preacher for wantin' to spread the word, but let him do it on his own dime.

Then I am with the mayor as well. The beach is for everyone. They want services on the beach? Take blankets and make it a beach day just like folks take barbque down there for hotdogs and sit around the picnic benches. No bull horn. No bandstand. Just enjoy the beach and then preach to his flock just as a birthday part would perform for some kid.

Pastor Fights Back After Delaware Town Bans Church Services on Rehoboth Beach | Fox News Insider

During an appearance on Fox and Friends, Pastor Dekker, of the New Covenant Presbyterian Church, said that the city manager’s decision to ban beach services “created a real problem for me because my calling as a pastor is to communicate the gospel by word and by deed to ourselves, to our neighbors, and to the world so that the wonders of the gospel may be known by folks.”

Read more: Pastor Fights Back After Delaware Town Bans Church Services on Rehoboth Beach | Fox News Insider

Uh no dickhead....its not. You are to communicate to people who choose to come to your church...not harass people on a beach with your ranting and raving.

You are a hypocritical douche.

You're against tyranny and support free speech except when it comes to religions speech.

Well, I know you to be a liar and a coward, so I don't expect you to learn from being called out.

You're a very angry and unpleasant person.. you really are. Get a life.

This is pretty ironic coming from the same person who posted this a few minutes before:

You fuckers are completely nuts. Seriously, you are some fucked up assholes.

What happened to you to make you so vulgar and bitter?
Do me a favor - Don't defend the Christian Faith - you do more harm than good.

Anyway, to the point:
Who owns the beach?

The city?

Would this guy try to hold service in the vehicle inspection station?

I'm a Christian. I admire people who have the courage of their convictions and who walk the walk. But freedom of religion doesn't mean you get to pick whatever time and whatever place you prefer.

I understand you are a Christian, however you should know more than most that "cleaning yourself up" first is not a requirement in order to attend church. That comment is just playing into the "worldly" position of what being a Christian really means. After all, Jesus (the model Christians are "supposed" to represent) didn't go around condemning and chastising anyone .... except for the Pharisees who placed themselves as judge over the actions of others. I'm not condoning ones behavior, but you may want to consider Matthew 7:5 first.

Now speaking in reference to the subject at hand, we have a individual in our area that takes it upon himself to mold sand sculptures into Christian themes. Should someone impose THEIR view and forbid him the freedom to do so, because their own view of God is more important than the freedom of expression and speech we are ALL given under the Constitution? If he wants to allocate a certain part of the beach to pray or conduct a bible study, who are we to say "we know better" under the Constitution? Perhaps I should dictate which freedoms I will permit you to follow under my good graces? Does that sound like the Constitution our Founders had intended for their nation, an idea worthy to die for and see established?

Last edited:
Wow. Just wow. What is the big deal anyway about having church on the beach? Wouldn't his sensibilities be distracted by all the bouncing boobies and booty?

I am serious here.

I have been around churches for many years, even a pastor for 14 years. And most pastors tell you to not go to the beach because of the partial nudity. Me, on the other hand, I like the beach. As a matter of fact, I am going there in 35 days.

Sounds like most pastors may wish to consider if we are following the central message, when a drug addict or someone not "properly dressed" enters into the church circle seeking a better way of life. I just don't remember Jesus being a part of what others considered to be "comfortable" and "acceptable" places to find those in need to hear His message. Just sharing a thought should each reflect on with our own personal time.

He was having service...have you ever been to a xtian church? I have and yes they scream,yell,stop their feet,"talk in tongues" etc.

I don't recall any catholic mass being as such, or even baptist. Just because you are focused on your own experience of one particular service, you want to categorize all religions the same. I ran into a few hot headed atheists in my time. I'm sure you would not want me to formulate my opinions and unkind views of you, based solely on my encounters with them.

Yurt is saying that a preacher has the right to and can get up anywhere and preach to folks on public property?

:lol:

Perhaps you are unfamiliar with the concept of free speech?

You are unaware of public property, equal access, and the law?

I'm certain you understand the word "establishment" as it pertains to religion, not formulating the word "separation" in order to better suit your own expressed views. You do understand how many drafts, and how careful the Founders were in choosing the proper wording as it pertains to the First Amendment? How often people want to engage in this topic, yet forgo any historical research for the sake of simply dictating their "preferred" point of view.

Noomi, I can tell that you aren't a christian because you wouldn't have ever posted this.
FYI, the church is the people, not the structure where they go to pray.

Example, a church can be no more than a clearing in a forest where people come to pray.

They should dress appropriately, and as long as they are not forcing homosexuality on people (a pride march is not forcing anything) then it should be fine.
A church service on a beach is fine providing you don't start preaching to members of the public.

Okay, so as long as we don't try to shove a bible down anyone's throat you'd be fine it with.

That's good to hear. I was starting to think you were intolerant.

You don't have the right to force your beliefs on others. It is that simple.

Nobody is forcing their beliefs on to anyone. It really is that simple

Seems to me there is quite a few here who are totally intolerant here.
Christians are tolerant to those on the beach who have butts, boobs and outlines of Men's genitals in those speedos hanging out and exposing them to everyone else's eyes all day long, then
it seems that those who do that should be tolerant to one measly hour of Church Service on Sunday Morning.

The 1st amendment gives Christians and any other Religion the right to freedom, to exercise their beliefs in public.
I bet that there would be not be a problem what so ever, if it had been Muslims who wanted to do the same thing or even Satanists.

Forum List

Back