Pity the South

Star

Gold Member
Apr 5, 2009
Pity the South... compared to the rest of the country Southerners are poverty stricken, unhealthy, smokers, whose teenagers get knocked up more often than in other parts of the country and-----and Southerners have less chance of moving up the economic ladder - is it any wonder then, that Southerners are also the unhappiest Americans? Check out all nine maps, geez, it must be depressing to be a Southerner (pun intended).

These 9 Maps Should Absolutely Outrage Southerners

Emily Cohn
03/06/2014

<snip>

Many living in poverty in the South are being denied access to
affordable health care.
original.jpg

Source: Urban Institute
States that didn't choose to expand Medicaid under Obamacare are highlighted in lighter gray.
...which is costing these states a ton of money.

n-MEDICAID-570.jpg

Source: The Huffington Post
This map shows how much money the 19 states that rejected Medicaid expansion will lose by 2022 as a result of doing so (assuming all other states participate).
This is particularly troubling because the
South has several health crises on its hands. Like obesity.

n-OBESITY-570.jpg

<snip>

Wake up and smell the democrat desperation. The champion, obama, is going down under a Russian boot so the democrats have to say "the south is bad". Newsflash the south will be here long after the Russians take New York.

:beer:Soon as I retire I'll be heading south !!

The saying nowadays is, make your fortune in the north, then retire in the south.

Incredibly low real estate prices (you should see the freaking mansion my brother bought in Texas last year for $279K !!!! Absolutely beyond belief !!

Great weather ! Low taxes ! Great food !

Absolutely cannot wait to say goodbye to the liberal snobs and shithole weather, taxes, prices !!!

Yeah baby !!! :dance::dance:

The saying nowadays is, make your fortune in the north, then retire in the south.

Incredibly low real estate prices (you should see the freaking mansion my brother bought in Texas last year for $279K !!!! Absolutely beyond belief !!

Absolutely cannot wait to say goodbye to the liberal snobs and shithole weather, taxes, prices !!!

Did you ever stop to think that maybe there's a reason why things are cheaper in the South?

Did you ever stop to think that maybe there's a reason why things are cheaper in the South?

Sure, but what do I care ? I'm just happy that we have diversity. We have places where libs can go to fulfill many of their nanny-state dreams (although they would be even happier if they kept going north to Canada) and we have places where the rest of us can go to be as little effected by government regulations and taxes as possible. :eusa_clap:

Wake up and smell the democrat desperation. The champion, obama, is going down under a Russian boot so the democrats have to say "the south is bad". Newsflash the south will be here long after the Russians take New York.

in other words, you know nothing and you have nothing to say except regurgitating nonsense.

but we already knew that.

Feel free to pity the south if you want. I love living here.

While there may be more poverty, the lower cost of living means it is an easier place to be poor. I have access to some top quality health care, and my insurance dollars go farther. I make a nationally competitive salary in my field, and with the lower cost of living I can enjoy it and still save for retirement. Smoking is a choice people make, it is not my problem.

But it is not just those things, but the genuine friendliness I enjoy down here. I have travelled and worked all over the US. And there are friendly people everywhere. But no where has the volume of smiling friendly people you find in the south. People wave as you drive by. They chat in the checkout lines at the grocery store. When I was coming back down from working up north I could always tell when I was "Home" again. If I stopped for gas and a cold drink and the clerk just said, "$32.00 please", I wasn't close. When they said, "Hi, how ya doin? Sure is a pretty day (or cold day or whatever) That'll be $32.00. Drive safe now", I knew I was closer to home.

Pity us if you want. I'll take little old ladies saying "Bless her heart", tall glasses of sweet tea, the smell of magnolia blossoms, college football tailgating, and miles of dirt roads over a slightly higher standard of living for everyone else.

Another plus? I just finished a nice hike in 70 degree weather. There are lots of flowers in bloom and the day was beautiful! I'll probably go fishing tomorrow.

How is that snow doing for y'all?

I loved South Carolina when I lived there. It was the first time I was able to buy a house for me and my son. I could never afford one back in Boston. The cost of living was incredibly lower than Massachusetts. I'd live there again if given the opportunity.

Pity the South... compared to the rest of the country Southerners are poverty stricken, unhealthy, smokers, whose teenagers get knocked up more often than in other parts of the country and-----and Southerners have less chance of moving up the economic ladder - is it any wonder then, that Southerners are also the unhappiest Americans? Check out all nine maps, geez, it must be depressing to be a Southerner (pun intended).

:lol: I'm pretty sure southerners don't want people like you there. You can save your pity for someone who cares.

The facts are the northern states are stagnating and the southern states are experiencing all of the growth. They host much more hospitable economies and generally more personal freedom than the authoritarian northeast.

Last edited:
Feel free to pity the south if you want. I love living here.

While there may be more poverty, the lower cost of living means it is an easier place to be poor. I have access to some top quality health care, and my insurance dollars go farther. I make a nationally competitive salary in my field, and with the lower cost of living I can enjoy it and still save for retirement. Smoking is a choice people make, it is not my problem.

But it is not just those things, but the genuine friendliness I enjoy down here. I have travelled and worked all over the US. And there are friendly people everywhere. But no where has the volume of smiling friendly people you find in the south. People wave as you drive by. They chat in the checkout lines at the grocery store. When I was coming back down from working up north I could always tell when I was "Home" again. If I stopped for gas and a cold drink and the clerk just said, "$32.00 please", I wasn't close. When they said, "Hi, how ya doin? Sure is a pretty day (or cold day or whatever) That'll be $32.00. Drive safe now", I knew I was closer to home.

Pity us if you want. I'll take little old ladies saying "Bless her heart", tall glasses of sweet tea, the smell of magnolia blossoms, college football tailgating, and miles of dirt roads over a slightly higher standard of living for everyone else.

NO, NO, NO!

Do not listen to him. It's all lies. It's horrible down here. Don't come down. You'll hate it. Besides, you are superior to Southerners. You'll have no one to talk to. Stick to your conditioning. Do not doubt the media narrative. Stay away.

Remember all you've learned from documentaries like the movie "Deliverance" and the TV shows Green Acres and Beverly Hillbillies.

If ever tempted to move South, go into a dark room and chant your mantra over and over:
"Bad weather, high taxes, rude people, nanny state, Hail Obama"
"Bad weather, high taxes, rude people, nanny state, Hail Obama
"....

il_570xN.447925647_6pyx.jpg

Last edited:

Sure, but what do I care ? I'm just happy that we have diversity. We have places where libs can go to fulfill many of their nanny-state dreams (although they would be even happier if they kept going north to Canada) and we have places where the rest of us can go to be as little effected by government regulations and taxes as possible. :eusa_clap:

Exactly. If you get yours, why should you care about starving children?

And, when the going gets tough, the dems will bail you out.

Just like always.

:lol: I'm pretty sure southerners don't want people like you there. You can save your pity for someone who cares.

The facts are the northern states are stagnating and the southern states are experiencing all of the growth. They host much more hospitable economies and generally more personal freedom than the authoritarian northeast.

You're right.

When the best you can hope for is dying in a coal mine or flipping burgers, making $8 an hour in some factory is living high off the hawg.

The blue states will take up the slack while the poor get poorer and the rich get richer.

Just like always.

That's not exactly what I meant asshole.

Yeah it sucks down here stay the fuck out.

You know, I've noticed that your posts are all alike. You can't write simple sentences that include punctuation and correct spelling. Like this one should read:

Yeah, it sucks down here. Stay the fuck out.

Where were you ed-U-muh-kated?

Just like always.

That's not exactly what I meant asshole.

Oh looky: another southerner who can't write a simple sentence correctly.

:badgrin:

Any southerners or rw's willing to address the valid points made in the OP?

Start with the hungry and homeless elderly and children and move on to the southern governors fighting against jobs and Medicaid expansion for the people who need them the most.

Forum List

Back