POLL: Is this in the best interests of our young people, or is it not?

Should we promote & enable challenging opinions for our young people?

• Yes

Votes: 47 92.2%
  • No

Votes: 1 2.0%
  • Mango

Votes: 3 5.9%

• Total voters
Amazing how much effort they're putting into this.
Welllll....I haven't heard you address their questions about conservative colleges banning leftist speakers.
Sure. NO college should ban ANY speaker at ANY time. The OP applies across the board, period. I've made one exception, and that is the direct incitement of violence by the speaker.

Period.

Easy peasy.

You can always tell when Mac has lost the argument when he abandons trying to make points and lapses into babbling about how much attention his thread is getting and how upset some posters appear to be.

lol, a classic tell.

Here's my position: It's a moral and cultural obligation of ours, as citizens of the United States, to promote and enable our young people to be exposed to contrary, stimulating, challenging, and yes, even controversial opinions at every opportunity. It is in their best interests, and the best interests of our country, to do so.

Those protesting Coulter already know her opinions.

I'm sure the vast majority of them have, at best the most vague knowledge, based on lies, about Ann's positions, with ZERO knowledge of her arguments to support them.

Here's my position: It's a moral and cultural obligation of ours, as citizens of the United States, to promote and enable our young people to be exposed to contrary, stimulating, challenging, and yes, even controversial opinions at every opportunity. It is in their best interests, and the best interests of our country, to do so.

I'm sure the vast majority of them have, at best the most vague knowledge, based on lies, about Ann's positions, with ZERO knowledge of her arguments to support them.

I'm sure you're wrong.

List the lies that are told about Coulter's positions.

Irrelevant.

The Regressive Left will use ANY excuse, regardless of how absurd it is, to shut down opposing speech.

I'm sure you're wrong.

List the lies that are told about Coulter's positions.

THe top one is that she is racist, of course.

Irrelevant.

The Regressive Left will use ANY excuse, regardless of how absurd it is, to shut down opposing speech.

True.

Irrelevant.

True.
Look at how they've behaved on this thread. Holy crap.

They react like this because they know what they're doing is wrong.

Irrelevant.

True.

The disconnect between what they say they stand for, and believe, and their actual actions MUST be causing some distress SOMEWHERE.

I cannot believe that someone with an iq great enough to find his computer on a regular basis cannot have the self awareness to realize the contradictions.

Irrelevant.

True.

The disconnect between what they say they stand for, and believe, and their actual actions MUST be causing some distress SOMEWHERE.

I cannot believe that someone with an iq great enough to find his computer on a regular basis cannot have the self awareness to realize the contradictions.
I don't think it's about intelligence. My theory is that, like an infection, a hardcore ideology like that can distort both the perceptions and thought processes of otherwise perfectly intelligent individuals. They won't be honest because their ideology just shuts it down when challenged and they go immediately into deflection / denial / attack mode.

In other words, they know not what they do...

:cool-45:

The issue isn't that colleges and universities don't do exactly what's described in the OP. They do, but one must look for it, usually in the classroom. Believe it or not, pretty much all college courses present multiple points of view for the subject matter they cover. Indeed, doing just that is the whole point of introductory and/or survey courses in a given discipline.

The problem is that many individuals who get into such institutions aren't ready to perform the critical thinking that being so exposed demands one be capable of doing.

How could they? Young people often these days seem challenged to express any idea that requires one do so in more than 140 characters. I'm sorry, but the world's weighty issues cannot be effectively considered, expressed and discussed in 140 characters. 140 Characters is a slogan, not an exposition of critical thought. Perhaps we are creating a generation of ad copywriters and other advertising workers?

Currently paying for two kids to go thru a large university, both are in the business school, and I can tell you that it is more about indoctrination than the free exchange of diverse opinions. At least that is the impression my kids share with me. Not sure what you base your assertion on, but it does not sync with what my kids experience.

You could pass a Fairness Doctrine requiring all media to present both sides.

GREAT IDEA! And then we will get both sides and the people won't have to worry about slanted news coverage, Ya know because we have a law that says the media has to be fair and balanced. That is genius! Let's also pass a law that everybody has to be pleasant and nice, or that nobody can ever get ill. Typical fairyland liberal logic- pass a law and problem solved. Your naïveté never ceases to amaze me. Who is going to be the judge and jury for your "fairness doctrine"? You, because you are clearly so sane, rational and balanced.

GREAT IDEA! And then we will get both sides and the people won't have to worry about slanted news coverage, Ya know because we have a law that says the media has to be fair and balanced. That is genius! Let's also pass a law that everybody has to be pleasant and nice, or that nobody can ever get ill. Typical fairyland liberal logic- pass a law and problem solved. Your naïveté never ceases to amaze me. Who is going to be the judge and jury for your "fairness doctrine"? You, because you are clearly so sane, rational and balanced.
Remember, the Regressives are in charge of what is and is not "fair", of what is and is not "hate speech", what is and is not "racism", what words are allowed to be said, which religion can be attacked, and who is allowed to speak on college campuses.

Didn't you get the memo?

Irrelevant.

True.

Your speech in this thread has been shut down?

Then why the fuck haven't you shut up?

lol

I'll lower my sarcasm level in the future so maybe it doesn't go over your head.

Irrelevant.

True.

lol
Hey, by the way, did you vote Yes or No in the poll?

I'd just LOVE to know!

Or did you just go straight to the cowardly deflection and trolling?

:laugh:

Irrelevant.

True.

lol

I'd just LOVE to know!

What cowardly deflection?

Be specific, as in, beyond the infantile laugh icon.

Irrelevant.

True.

lol

I'd just LOVE to know!

What cowardly deflection?

Be specific, as in, beyond the infantile laugh icon.
YOU DEFLECT FROM MY QUESTION BY ASKING "WHAT COWARDLY DEFLECTION?"

HOLY CRAP

This place is absolutely AMAZING. I love it!

:spinner:

Forum List

Back