POLL: Is this in the best interests of our young people, or is it not?

Should we promote & enable challenging opinions for our young people?

• Yes

Votes: 47 92.2%
  • No

Votes: 1 2.0%
  • Mango

Votes: 3 5.9%

• Total voters
The Regressives' argument boils down to this:

"I don't like her, I don't like what she says, so I support not allowing her speak".

Oh, and there have been a few "and she's ugly".

It's all about THEIR OPINION.

It's no wonder they don't have the balls to vote "No" to the question.

A Republican group at Berkeley invited Coulter. Liberty University banned their Democrat group.
Seriously?

Let me know when Liberty University and other bastions of rightwing indoctrination allow opposing views...
Bernie Sanders speaks at Liberty University.
Cool, that is one.
Milo Y spoke at WVU and others...
My point remains. Either we truly believe what I said in the OP or we do not.

It's clear that many do not, and they have identified themselves on this and other threads. What they haven't done is shown the balls to admit it.

The Regressives' argument boils down to this:

"I don't like her, I don't like what she says, so I support not allowing her speak".

Oh, and there have been a few "and she's ugly".

It's all about THEIR OPINION.

It's no wonder they don't have the balls to vote "No" to the question.

A Republican group at Berkeley invited Coulter. Liberty University banned their Democrat group.
Seriously?

Liberty University Revokes Recognition Of Democratic Club

Maybe Mac will do a hundred threads on that, and see if he can hit some rightwing nerves around here, lol.

Let's get to the heart of the issue of our young people and speakers.

Here's my position: It's a moral and cultural obligation of ours, as citizens of the United States, to promote and enable our young people to be exposed to contrary, stimulating, challenging, and yes, even controversial opinions at every opportunity. It is in their best interests, and the best interests of our country, to do so.

And further, there is no better place or time in their lives to be challenged like this than their college years. If we do not, we are doing our young people and our country a terrible disservice.

Do you agree or disagree? And please note: This is NOT a First Amendment issue, so let's not go there.

One of the better professors I had did this awesome thing (probably old hat among the brethren of professors but I loved it); I wrote this essay on the need for women in combat roles in the military. It was your basic, five paragraph model where you have your thesis statement, 3 paragraphs and a conclusion. Once you turned it in, you were given the next assignment…take the opposite viewpoint and argue just as effectively. On this one, you had to give a verbal speech in support of your new position.

Here's my position: It's a moral and cultural obligation of ours, as citizens of the United States, to promote and enable our young people to be exposed to contrary, stimulating, challenging, and yes, even controversial opinions at every opportunity. It is in their best interests, and the best interests of our country, to do so.

And further, there is no better place or time in their lives to be challenged like this than their college years. If we do not, we are doing our young people and our country a terrible disservice.

Do you agree or disagree? And please note: This is NOT a First Amendment issue, so let's not go there.

One of the better professors I had did this awesome thing (probably old hat among the brethren of professors but I loved it); I wrote this essay on the need for women in combat roles in the military. It was your basic, five paragraph model where you have your thesis statement, 3 paragraphs and a conclusion. Once you turned it in, you were given the next assignment…take the opposite viewpoint and argue just as effectively. On this one, you had to give a verbal speech in support of your new position.
That's a great freakin' idea.

Those protesting Coulter already know her opinions.

I believe in free, open and unencumbered debate of all ideas at every opportunity, in challenging our young people to be open minded and curious and to think for themselves and expand their intellectual horizons.

You're the o p p o s i t e.

Yeah. I'm very comfy with that. But keep trolling, you just keep making my point.

So what are the chances I'll have a "Progressive" weigh in, vote "Yes", and bravely disagree with their ideological brethren about Coulter?

Is that what this is about? Ann Coulter?

Hell, let her speak. I seem to recall conserve-hate-ives going batshit crazy when Iranian Strongman Ahmadenijab was invited to speak at Columbia U.

Columbia U. President: Ahmadinejad Speech 'Extremely Important'

Here is one from a noted Conservative who is now the darling of the Free Speech movement (it appears):

Ann Coulter - September 26, 2007 - TASE HIM, BRO!

Do you support Ms. Coulter’s stance?

So what are the chances I'll have a "Progressive" weigh in, vote "Yes", and bravely disagree with their ideological brethren about Coulter?

Hell, let her speak. I seem to recall conserve-hate-ives going batshit crazy when Iranian Strongman Ahmadenijab was invited to speak at Columbia U.

Here is one from a noted Conservative who is now the darling of the Free Speech movement (it appears):

I don't like Ann Coulter. While I don't know her stance on several issues, I have no doubt I disagree with many of them.

But I'm consistent. I believe in freedom of expression, whether I agree with it or not, whether I like the person or not.

This shouldn't be difficult to understand.

Made for a lot of embarrassed kids who took on much more hot-button issues.

I have struggled to think that far back into the past and recall what my political views were at 18, 20. I was ill-informed and agreed 100% with my peers and rock bands and whatever the guy with long hair said; the guy in the military fatigues--the enemy. I doubt I was the only one.
It takes us time to become thoughtful, independent thinkers and at standard college age, young people are still heavily influenced by their peers and popular media. They've got their opinions on Ann Coulter and Milo before they step in the door and they are not going to change them. That's not cool.
Personally, I believe the universities should allow speakers as long as they aren't into actual hate speech. (An opposing point of view is not "hate speech.") They should permit their campus security to ensure safety for all, including the speaker and the audience. However, thinking college students will change their minds and quietly welcome Ann Coulter is expecting way too much of the age group.

19_zpsweaaeqon.gif~original

I don't like Ann Coulter. While I don't know her stance on several issues, I have no doubt I disagree with many of them.

But I'm consistent. I believe in freedom of expression, whether I agree with it or not, whether I like the person or not.

Fantastic.

Did you put out a poll on the board about that calling out Conservatives? How’d it go?

I have struggled to think that far back into the past and recall what my political views were at 18, 20. I was ill-informed and agreed 100% with my peers and rock bands and whatever the guy with long hair said; the guy in the military fatigues--the enemy. I doubt I was the only one.
It takes us time to become thoughtful, independent thinkers and at standard college age, young people are still heavily influenced by their peers and popular media. They've got their opinions on Ann Coulter and Milo before they step in the door and they are not going to change them. That's not cool.
Personally, I believe the universities should allow speakers as long as they aren't into actual hate speech. (An opposing point of view is not "hate speech.") They should permit their campus security to ensure safety for all, including the speaker and the audience. However, thinking college students will change their minds and quietly welcome Ann Coulter is expecting way too much of the age group.
What happens is that the Regressives will label pretty much anything they don't like as "hate speech", and boom, there's their excuse to shut it down. I would draw the line at a speaker who is literally inciting violence. That's it.

I do remember what I was like in college: I was a pot-smokin', Birkenstock-wearin', Grateful Dead-listenin', long haired hippy. Fit right in with my broadcast journalism classes.

:laugh:

Made for a lot of embarrassed kids who took on much more hot-button issues.

Also didn’t help that the professor was a very liberal African American who taught at TSU (HBCU member), was very visible on race issues, and was well accustomed to handling Bubba’s in the classroom who were pro-segregationists (yes we still had some in the 1980’s believe it or not).

Fantastic.

Did you put out a poll on the board about that calling out Conservatives? How’d it go?
Perhaps you didn't read the OP. Non-partisan. There are liberal colleges and conservative colleges.

I believe in free, open and unencumbered debate of all ideas at every opportunity, in challenging our young people to be open minded and curious and to think for themselves and expand their intellectual horizons.

Yeah. I'm very comfy with that. But keep trolling, you just keep making my point.

You support free debate. Okay then...

Can you prove that Coulter was appearing for FREE to DEBATE someone at Berkeley?

Please do. I might be inspired to alter my opinion on this issue.

If not, then enough of your nonsense.

You support free debate. Okay then...

Can you prove that Coulter was appearing for FREE to DEBATE someone at Berkeley?

Please do. I might be inspired to alter my opinion on this issue.

If not, then enough of your nonsense.
That's the best you can do?

:laugh:

Good.

Please take a good look at NYC's post, folks. I rest my case.

Forum List

Back