POLL: Is this in the best interests of our young people, or is it not?

Should we promote & enable challenging opinions for our young people?

• Yes

Votes: 47 92.2%
  • No

Votes: 1 2.0%
  • Mango

Votes: 3 5.9%

• Total voters
I thought the OP was a bit vague, so I voted Mango. OK, I also just like it as an answer; so much more fun than a simple yes or no! ;)

I don't see a problem with allowing Coulter to speak on campus. That the school may have worried about students turning violent in protest definitely makes those student seem like whining children; then again, that seems to be a pretty common college age characteristic. College kids often seem to gravitate to either parties or protests; or perhaps the media portrayal of college students creates that image. Whatever the case, in the particular instance with Coulter, just let her speak. If you have to protest, do it civilly.

Looking at the OP from a wider perspective, of course being exposed to different views is, in general, a good thing. Not all views are worth spending much time on, of course, but there's no need to try to completely silence any viewpoints.

Of course, I'm a person who is drawn to argue. I'm sure that colors my view; I might enjoy arguing against a speaker I disagree with rather than avoiding the speech entirely. That said, if you're an adult in college, it's about time to start growing a thicker skin.

The dumbest thing about this discussion is that the OP thinks progressives don't want young people to be exposed to a variety of viewpoints.

Basically, young people at institutions of higher learning have made it known that they don't want to be associated with opportunistic charlatans like Ann Coulter.

They aren't afraid to hear what she says. They just don't want to their institutions to lend credibility to it.

Get it? Will you ever get it?
So you disagree with my OP.

Thanks.

And of COURSE you Regressives "don't want young people to be exposed to a variety of viewpoints" if you don't like those viewpoints. You're liars and cowards.

I appreciate the input.

I think of our difference as more of how we define "young people". I associated the term primarily with grammar school youngsters and beginning high school students. I then associate young adults as more mature high school juniors and seniors and college age people.
No, I mean college-age kids, people who have reached a point of development at which they can make reasonably mature analyses and judgements.

Yeah, I wouldn't see much positive value in this for younger kids, although obviously everyone is different.

what's the value of a bigot like Ann Coulter speaking at Berkeley? Do you think that it's valuable to society if in some way some otherwise unbigoted student adopt her bigotry?
So we are going to let you decide who should speak and who should not? Thanks but no
It may come as a shock to you but a lot of people do not think that Ann Coulter is a bigot
That's how the Regressives are - THEY decide who deserves to speak, THEY decide what racism is, THEY decide what words are not allowed.

They are cowardly, dishonest authoritarians. And they sure as hell aren't liberal.

I think of our difference as more of how we define "young people". I associated the term primarily with grammar school youngsters and beginning high school students. I then associate young adults as more mature high school juniors and seniors and college age people.
No, I mean college-age kids, people who have reached a point of development at which they can make reasonably mature analyses and judgements.

Yeah, I wouldn't see much positive value in this for younger kids, although obviously everyone is different.

what's the value of a bigot like Ann Coulter speaking at Berkeley? Do you think that it's valuable to society if in some way some otherwise unbigoted student adopt her bigotry?

Search me. She is outrageous enough.....kind of a "shock pundit." Maybe this is how the marketplace of ideas works, when you don't have to be the smartest, just the most brash--

Hey, I think I just figured out how Trump won!

Coulter sells rightwing propaganda. It's really no more complicated than that. The idea that it's some sort of free speech issue over whether or not she should be allowed on a campus to sell her commodity is preposterous.

How will those students ever learn to recognize and counter propaganda if they are never given the chance to hear and counter propaganda?

By high school, they should start practicing separating bullshit from fact. It's a dying skill.
Here's the bottom line: Opposing views threaten the sadistic ideological stranglehold that they have on our kids.

They're not worried about what's best for the kids - they just want brainwashed soldiers.

It's a rotten thing to do to our young people.

What kind of idiot would vote no?
Look at the zillions of posts from all the threads like this from the Regressives who support not allowing opposing views on campus.

If they were honest, they would have voted No here. So there should be SEVERAL No votes.

But they can't admit it, because they know what they are doing is wrong.

So what are the chances I'll have a "Progressive" weigh in, vote "Yes", and bravely disagree with their ideological brethren about Coulter?

Coulter's a partisan hack. I agree with your OP. I doubt I'm the only leftist.

Now...
Such a straightforward poll, about one of our most fundamental values as a country, and the Regressive Left has to spin and deflect.

I guess that answers my question, and confirms my opinion.

Only one person voted "no".

No one voted Mango....:(

Maybe you are over using the "regressive left" slur.
No, I think I use it quite properly.

I can tell because I always hit a nerve with it.

I voted yes, fool. I shut down your argument. You don't like it.

If THEY don't want to hear conflicting points of view -- that's their option to exercise. However, it BECOMES a problem when they will not ALLOW views that conflict with theirs to be heard by ANYONE. Essentially, politically polarizing the entire College experience. And it's the FACULTY that aids and abets this protest.

It's not about not wanting to hear it. Why can't yu yu understand English?

I told YOU it wasn't about "not wanting to hear it". It's about allowing others the courtesy and the liberty to hear it.

And I told you why. CONFIDENT people -- people trusting in their convictions and truths -- have NO PROBLEM with free speech. The paranoid and insecure -- DO have a problem with allowing others to hear opposing points of view.

Bullshit. They don't want to be associated with her bullshit. They are not afraid of her message.

Allowing others to hear it or not is NOT their call. They can protest from outside the hall. That's not associating themselves with it. OBVIOUSLY, her "message" makes them "uncomfortable". Because their fear has to be that OTHERS might learn something or agree in parts of what she says. Otherwise, there would be no downside. Let the "Illuminati" folks and the Holocaust deniers have their shots. How long does it take you to totally defeat their "message". Aint no sweat off anyone's back to refute and dismiss fuzzy, muddled, or hateful thinking.

If they are so GOOD at their convictions, letting free speech reign would be a WELCOMED thing. Even amusing at times. I think they are fearful, paranoid, and not very well equipped to refute the stuff they fear..
The Regressives know this. This is simply about their fear of opposing views ruining all the effort they make in conditioning our kids on campus.

The Regressives' argument boils down to this:

"I don't like her, I don't like what she says, so I support not allowing her speak".

Oh, and there have been a few "and she's ugly".

It's all about THEIR OPINION.

It's no wonder they don't have the balls to vote "No" to the question.

Last edited:

"I don't like her, I don't like what she says, so I support not allowing her speak".

Who are you referring to? Can you name someone who you feel is a regressive lefty and cite them saying anything like that?

If THEY don't want to hear conflicting points of view -- that's their option to exercise. However, it BECOMES a problem when they will not ALLOW views that conflict with theirs to be heard by ANYONE. Essentially, politically polarizing the entire College experience. And it's the FACULTY that aids and abets this protest.

I told YOU it wasn't about "not wanting to hear it". It's about allowing others the courtesy and the liberty to hear it.

And I told you why. CONFIDENT people -- people trusting in their convictions and truths -- have NO PROBLEM with free speech. The paranoid and insecure -- DO have a problem with allowing others to hear opposing points of view.

Bullshit. They don't want to be associated with her bullshit. They are not afraid of her message.

Allowing others to hear it or not is NOT their call. They can protest from outside the hall. That's not associating themselves with it. OBVIOUSLY, her "message" makes them "uncomfortable". Because their fear has to be that OTHERS might learn something or agree in parts of what she says. Otherwise, there would be no downside. Let the "Illuminati" folks and the Holocaust deniers have their shots. How long does it take you to totally defeat their "message". Aint no sweat off anyone's back to refute and dismiss fuzzy, muddled, or hateful thinking.

If they are so GOOD at their convictions, letting free speech reign would be a WELCOMED thing. Even amusing at times. I think they are fearful, paranoid, and not very well equipped to refute the stuff they fear..
The Regressives know this. This is simply about their fear of opposing views ruining all the effort they make in conditioning our kids on campus.

What conditioned kids? Got anyone specific in mind?

So what are the chances I'll have a "Progressive" weigh in, vote "Yes", and bravely disagree with their ideological brethren about Coulter?

Now...
Such a straightforward poll, about one of our most fundamental values as a country, and the Regressive Left has to spin and deflect.

You may have hit a nerve...

Or

It might be people get annoyed in the same way rightist get at broadly being labeled racist.

Let me know when Liberty University and other bastions of rightwing indoctrination allow opposing views...

Okay, great. Are you saying that no speakers should be allowed on campus?
He is saying only speakers whom he agrees with should be allowed to speak. Anywhere.

Coulter was invited by a Republican group on campus. You probably wouldn't see this sort of controversy on a conservative campus,

because of such as the following:

Liberty U. Drops Democratic Club, Saying Views Conflict With Those of College

Liberty U. Drops Democratic Club, Saying Views Conflict With Those of College

By Anita Kumar
Washington Post Staff Writer
Saturday, May 23, 2009

RICHMOND, May 22 -- Liberty University will no longer recognize its campus Democratic club because, officials say, the national party's platform goes against the conservative Christian school's moral principles.

...and interestingly, you won't the RW bigot OP Mac posting threads about something like the above.

No kidding, perhaps you could also let us know how many of those conservative campuses have had violent protests.

Perhaps you can tell us how this great nation was founded without violence.

Wow, responding to basically my question with a question. Just go away.

You didn't ask a question, you posted a silly non sequitur.

Now...

Or

It might be people get annoyed in the same way rightist get at broadly being labeled racist.
There are plenty of traditional, decent liberals out there, and I argue that all the time. The problem is that the Democratic party has been taken over by these other people, and has now (predictably) paid the price.

What worries me more than anything else is that Trump & Co will fuck things up quickly and badly, before the Democratic party can marginalize these people. If that happens, they return to power, and probably worse than ever.

Now...

Or

Mac translates the mockery of his lame attacks as 'hitting a nerve'.

Now...

Or

There are plenty of traditional, decent liberals out there, and I argue that all the time. The problem is that the Democratic party has been taken over by these other people, and has now (predictably) paid the price.

What worries me more than anything else is that Trump & Co will fuck things up quickly and badly, before the Democratic party can marginalize these people. If that happens, they return to power, and probably worse than ever.

What happened that was so bad when Obama was president, that you can blame on Democrats?

A Republican group at Berkeley invited Coulter. Liberty University banned their Democrat group.

Forum List

Back