POLL: Kool Aid

Poll: ever heard of Kool Aid as a racial stereotype?

• Yes, I heard of this before the Brian Kilmeade comment

Votes: 18 35.3%
  • No, I never heard of this befor the Brian Kilmeade comment

Votes: 30 58.8%
  • Pineapple

Votes: 3 5.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
To anyone who doesnt know the Kool Aid stereotype is there one piece of information that I can provide to show you this is an actual thing?

Whelp --- that's exactly what I'm trying to get at with this poll. Be patient, doctor.
Your poll has more people that never heard of it. Now you should ask the people that voted "never" to disclose their racial ID. I'm guessing most are white.

That might be interesting, but of course we don't have a way to do that.

But ultimately it doesn't matter --- in order to be a stereotype or slur it has to be understood on both ends. Without that it's not a stereotype.
Thats not true. There doesnt need to be any understanding on both ends. I'm pretty sure the first time a enslaved person was called a ****** he had no clue or understanding of the word. If I thought all white people ate macaroni and cheese with potato chips on top that would be a stereotype regardless of how many whites knew about it.

Most people. Otherwise you are just nitpicking and making an issue out of something that is not an issue.

What is number qualifies as "most people"?

Are you fucking serious? I'm not going to play this ridiculous game. You are being disingenuous. It is common knowledge that a stereotype is something that the culture, the whole culture, recognizes and understands. You are trying to make something a fact when it isn't. It is not a fact that the American culture, as a whole, recognizes and understands any stereotype linking African Americans to Kool-Aid. End of. I'm disgusted by this attempt to pretend otherwise.

Stereotypes of African Americans - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

" African Americans are often portrayed as violent, lazy and very religious. They also are portrayed as having a love of fried chicken,watermelon, corn bread, Kool-Aid, waffles, sweet tea, and grape drink.["

I was going to post that but its clear that they come from the mindset that things only exist if they've heard about it before. The fact that there are websites, pictures and links to those things they never heard of doesnt matter.

To them it doesnt exist until they accept that it does

As has been noted over and over and over and over ---- if you're going to fling a slur, it's imperative that both the slurrer and the sluree understand what it means. Without both, it cannot work. It's like an argument --- it takes two, not one.

I keep pointing that out, and you keep ignoring it.
That's silly. It might not cause the target offense, but it doesn't mean offense wasn't meant.

Why would he. He was your buddy and you didn't serve it to make a point.
True, but he could have told me to be careful to serving kool aid to black strangers that might get offended.

No. Serving it is fine.

Saying......"I have Coke, beer, water and wine......but....I'm sorry....I didn't remember to get some Koolaid for you" would likely offend him.

It's the "you are different" thing. NO MATTER WHAT STEREOTYPE ONE USES.

There you go ^^. That example carries the assumption that the other party would want that. And that would definitely be a stereotype.

The black guy is probably aware of the stereotype. If the host is not, he'd never say it in that manner. The possibility for misunderstanding is minimal. Especially among friends.

OH NO!

FRUIT SALAD!

blackmaneating.jpg
I dont get it? Is this a stereotype?

What is number qualifies as "most people"?

Are you fucking serious? I'm not going to play this ridiculous game. You are being disingenuous. It is common knowledge that a stereotype is something that the culture, the whole culture, recognizes and understands. You are trying to make something a fact when it isn't. It is not a fact that the American culture, as a whole, recognizes and understands any stereotype linking African Americans to Kool-Aid. End of. I'm disgusted by this attempt to pretend otherwise.

" African Americans are often portrayed as violent, lazy and very religious. They also are portrayed as having a love of fried chicken,watermelon, corn bread, Kool-Aid, waffles, sweet tea, and grape drink.["

I was going to post that but its clear that they come from the mindset that things only exist if they've heard about it before. The fact that there are websites, pictures and links to those things they never heard of doesnt matter.

As has been noted over and over and over and over ---- if you're going to fling a slur, it's imperative that both the slurrer and the sluree understand what it means. Without both, it cannot work. It's like an argument --- it takes two, not one.

That's silly. It might not cause the target offense, but it doesn't mean offense wasn't meant.

That would be true if the recipient didn't know about it ---- which proves my point. You can't be insulted if you're not aware you've been insulted.

I agree with the chicken and watermelon thing, but I never knew about the kool aid deal until recently. I dont know or care if Brian did it on purpose or not, but I tend to think he did not even know it could be construed as racist. Funny my navy buddy (who is black) never had a problem when his kids came over for birthday parties and we served kool aid and cake.
It's a kids drink and because Harris's daughter was there, Brian suggested the KoolAid drink.

Fucking waffles is racist...SOB!

Food cant be racist, you dont have to do this dumb act....it seems like its contagious
Why would waffles be a insult to black people? I love me some waffle house.

The chicken and waffles soul food thing. Food as racist is pretty stupid.

I agree with the chicken and watermelon thing, but I never knew about the kool aid deal until recently. I dont know or care if Brian did it on purpose or not, but I tend to think he did not even know it could be construed as racist. Funny my navy buddy (who is black) never had a problem when his kids came over for birthday parties and we served kool aid and cake.
It's a kids drink and because Harris's daughter was there, Brian suggested the KoolAid drink.
Its an adults drink as well.

That would be true if the recipient didn't know about it ---- which proves my point. You can't be insulted if you're not aware you've been insulted.

Interviewing Harris Faulkner would be interesting. No?

That's not what you said but okay.

The fuck??? Koolaid is now supposedly racist? What is next? Drinking Tang being racist due to Poon?

The fuck??? Koolaid is now supposedly racist? What is next? Drinking Tang being racist due to Poon?

No no --- Tang would be sexist!

Dammit Gracie, now I've gotta go off to find out the REAL origin of the name Tang...

From this thread about a co-host on "Fox and Friends" asking a guest doing a cooking segment if she makes Kool Aid with the dish she's preparing (see the thread for background)....

Answer honestly --- before this came up, had you ever heard of Kool Aid as a racial stereotype?
Voted YES, but I also believe Kilmead had no idea. Blacks do like the grape Kool-Aid though and its an inside joke among them.

I went to a movie premier (when I lived in Los Angeles) that was written/directed by a black guy, cast was mostly black, comedy. What did they give everyone that was invited to the premier? You guessed it a packet of grape Kool Aid :lol: :lol:

At any rate, Kilmead had no idea and it was an innocent (what he thought) question.

From this thread about a co-host on "Fox and Friends" asking a guest doing a cooking segment if she makes Kool Aid with the dish she's preparing (see the thread for background)....

Answer honestly --- before this came up, had you ever heard of Kool Aid as a racial stereotype?
Yes I have, but I also believe Kilmead had no idea. Blacks do like the grape Kool-Aid though and its an inside joke among them.

I went to a movie premier (when I lived in Los Angeles) that was written/directed by a black guy, cast was mostly black, comedy. What did they give everyone that was invited to the premier? You guessed it a packet of grape Kool Aid :lol: :lol:

At any rate, Kilmead had no idea and it was an innocent (what he thought) question.

I wonder if many "blacks" ( black people ) do not like grape Koolaid? What do you think?

Yes I have, but I also believe Kilmead had no idea. Blacks do like the grape Kool-Aid though and its an inside joke among them.

I wonder if many "blacks" ( black people ) do not like grape Koolaid? What do you think?
I think due to the issue with diabetes more Black people have stopped drinking it but that doesnt mean they dont like it. I stopped drinking Koolaid and soda in my 20's.

I think due to the issue with diabetes more Black people have stopped drinking it but that doesnt mean they dont like it.

I never know how to react when someone thinks my facetious question was a serious question. D'oh!

Forum List

Back