Prince Dead at 57

I think I will wait to hear about the autopsy report before jumping to any conclusions about his death. Why participate in the spread of rumors, especially regarding someone's death?

And for some of you, haven't you ever heard the expression that if you don't have anything nice to say, keep your big giant pie hole shut? ;)

Simply stating facts.

Let's see here...he's a reclusive pop star who lives alone in a massive compound. There were no indications of any foul play and no suicide attempt. The week before his plane made an emergency landing due to a passenger being unresponsive. Prince was given an injection to cleanse a person's system of narcotics.

Less than a week later, he is found dead, with no apparent cause. Gee...what could it be, what could it be?

I just can't get into anything pop culture. Who cares? It's like movies. I mention a movie I liked, and people go "on the one with so-and-so?"... and I sit there.. I have no idea.... It was a good flick. I couldn't care less who was in it. I don't pay attention to these people. Who has time to follow the entire life story of every idiot on stage? Who has time for that? Don't you have families or something? Kids? Job? Things to do with your wife or something?
It is not so much everyone but those who truly influence an industry or a genre. The fascination is in the growth of the person and their art and talent. If you are not into this sort of stuff not a big deal. If a person is then it is a wonderland.

I suppose. I guess my problem is that I never considered that what people in Hollywood did was of any real value. Real value being something that was true significant benefits for society or people. Like reading about the life of Henry Ford, John Adams, I'm reading a bio of Calvin Coolidge right now. These are people that faced real dangers, that saved lives, that improved the lives of millions of people. People that improved the standard of living around the world.

For me it's difficult to see what Prince (or anyone in Hollywood) did that was as significant.

What great things did he do in his life, that benefited the world? Not to minimize entertainment, but I can have a great time playing UNO with some friends.

I understand where you are coming from as I am a musician and someone who loves music and musical theory I see how essential he was and still is to the growth of music and society just as we both can understand how Ford, Adams and Coolidge were influential and relevant in their own spheres of endeavour. When I read someone with your perspective I wish I could give them some of what I find so interesting and essential so you can see how something like music is interwoven with the skein of humanity, not to change you, but to give you a small glimpse of how magical and interlaced music is with all of mankind.
I don't know who's bigger than Prince other than Michael. He's not my favorite artist but even I know there's no one bigger than Prince.
I agree his influence is so far reaching and all encompassing.
I can't stop singing The Beautiful ones and it makes me very sad. I hate to learn good people are unhappy. And he seemed like good people.

For the record I went to a prince concert and it sucked. He didn't do his full songs he was doing medleys and of course we wanted to hear all the songs from purple rain. I feel robbed because everyone says Prince concerts were great. Lol. He's a musical genius

I just can't get into anything pop culture. Who cares? It's like movies. I mention a movie I liked, and people go "on the one with so-and-so?"... and I sit there.. I have no idea.... It was a good flick. I couldn't care less who was in it. I don't pay attention to these people. Who has time to follow the entire life story of every idiot on stage? Who has time for that? Don't you have families or something? Kids? Job? Things to do with your wife or something?

Let me get this straight, you Elvis loving idiot......you don't have time to give a shit, but you come here and vent your who cares rant? Clearly you have some free time on your hands.....and the wife and kids are secondary at this point, eh?
Elvis is over rated. He is very dated and doesn't really hold up today. I'll show my kids hound dog and a few other good songs but Elvis is no Prince or Michael Jackson.

Right, Elvis was far, far better than either Prince or Michael Jackson. You really should try something besides one of his oldest songs.

Let me get this straight, you Elvis loving idiot......you don't have time to give a shit, but you come here and vent your who cares rant? Clearly you have some free time on your hands.....and the wife and kids are secondary at this point, eh?
Elvis is over rated. He is very dated and doesn't really hold up today. I'll show my kids hound dog and a few other good songs but Elvis is no Prince or Michael Jackson.

Right, Elvis was far, far better than either Prince or Michael Jackson. You really should try something besides one of his oldest songs.

that's your opinion.

It is not so much everyone but those who truly influence an industry or a genre. The fascination is in the growth of the person and their art and talent. If you are not into this sort of stuff not a big deal. If a person is then it is a wonderland.

I suppose. I guess my problem is that I never considered that what people in Hollywood did was of any real value. Real value being something that was true significant benefits for society or people. Like reading about the life of Henry Ford, John Adams, I'm reading a bio of Calvin Coolidge right now. These are people that faced real dangers, that saved lives, that improved the lives of millions of people. People that improved the standard of living around the world.

For me it's difficult to see what Prince (or anyone in Hollywood) did that was as significant.

What great things did he do in his life, that benefited the world? Not to minimize entertainment, but I can have a great time playing UNO with some friends.

I understand where you are coming from as I am a musician and someone who loves music and musical theory I see how essential he was and still is to the growth of music and society just as we both can understand how Ford, Adams and Coolidge were influential and relevant in their own spheres of endeavour. When I read someone with your perspective I wish I could give them some of what I find so interesting and essential so you can see how something like music is interwoven with the skein of humanity, not to change you, but to give you a small glimpse of how magical and interlaced music is with all of mankind.
I don't know who's bigger than Prince other than Michael. He's not my favorite artist but even I know there's no one bigger than Prince.
I can't stop singing The Beautiful ones and it makes me very sad. I hate to learn good people are unhappy. And he seemed like good people.

For the record I went to a prince concert and it sucked. He didn't do his full songs he was doing medleys and of course we wanted to hear all the songs from purple rain. I feel robbed because everyone says Prince concerts were great. Lol. He's a musical genius
He seemed like a very giving individual. That sucks about the concert you went to.

Elvis, Prince, M Jackson....they all have their very deserved place in musical history! :clap2:

Michael Jackson was a vile person who bought his way out of being convicted as a serial pedophile. As far as I'm concerned that should always be a part of his name. Pedophile Michael Jackson!

Elvis, Prince, M Jackson....they all have their very deserved place in musical history! :clap2:
Elvis was a hero to most but he never meant shit to me straight up racist that sucker was simple and plain fuck him and John Wayne. -public enemy

Last edited:

He seemed like a very giving individual. That sucks about the concert you went to.
Was his family being taken care of while he was alive? His sister's and parents?

Elvis was a hero to most but he never meant shit to me straight up that sucker was simple and plain fuck him and John Wayne. -public enemy
Elvis is enjoyable but nothing compared to the genius of Prince, Jackson or McCartney.

Michael Jackson was a vile person who bought his way out of being convicted as a serial pedophile. As far as I'm concerned that should always be a part of his name. Pedophile Michael Jackson!

You know what?

I am not going to sit here judging the personal lives of musicians...I don't know enough about their lives to judge them...ok?

Nevertheless...I can..and certainly do judge them about their artistic musical abilities.

And these musicians are the best of the best IMO.

Who were you shocked/stunned when you learn they died? Chris Farley, Robin Williams, Sam kenison, John Belushi, Jack tripper.

Boy it doesn't pay to be funny or on SNL

Was his family being taken care of while he was alive? His sister's and parents?
Don't know. I am thinking about musically with his contemporaries.

As suspected most likely. He had acquired an addiction to opioids. Percocet. He had hip surgery a few years ago and has been on it ever since, according to TMZ.

PERCOCET TRIGGERED ODDays Before Death
Prince -- Percocet Triggered OD Days Before Death

This is the very frightening thing, which I posted about earlier: Big Pharma pushing oxycodone to docs starting about 20 years ago, assuring physicians that it WAS NOT addictive. Fucking jerks.

Give us a break!

PLEASE show us a reliable source and link to sources showing pharmaceutical companies were telling DOCTORS, that an opiate painkiller is NOT addictive. And gosh, no doctor would know that an opiate painkiller was addictive.
Place the blame where it belongs, a spoiled celebrity who was surrounded by people who would not say no in fear of losing their gravy train. Family just as guilty if not more so.

and elvis had a thing for a 14 year old girl.

he's also overrated.

I still think the guy , Prince, was stupid. At least for trying to control his own media. I think that artists and groups who allow freedom of speech on the internet are only helping their fame. Unless it's a breakdown or drunken tirade. But the way Prince has effectively stopped postings of his songs and live performances doesn't make him into anything but an artist with a socialistic view in my opinion. So to the musical obscurity bin he goes.
Prince who?

Here watch this. It explains a lot about how recording companies own the artists work and in effect the artists themselves & how Prince stood against that.

Video: Prince and His Struggle For Creative Independence in Music: Part 4
All anyone need to do these days is watch the bio pics that come out on artist who've made it...TLC, The Temptations, etc...all fucked over by the music industry.

Yes exactly and why Prince took complete control of his music......to keep it from the control of the industry

Elvis wasn't a songwriter... that's the biggest difference. He is famous because he was at the right place at the right time. He ushered in the rock-n-roll era with an amazing voice and dance moves that no white man had ever done before on stage. His music was controversial because of his gyrating and dancing but most of his songs were written by professional songwriters. Now, I do think this.. without Elvis, there may have never been a Michael Jackson or Prince. He made the sexually-suggestive dancing okay... broke down that barrier in modern contemporary music.

His vocal range was in a completely different category than Micheal Jackson or Prince. As a singer, you have to put him in a rare group of people like Roy Orbison and Freddy Mercury. Prince and Jackson were more stylized R&B and not bad voices in their own right, but maybe not as much range as Presley, Orbison and Mercury.

You were asking the other day about my Top 5 most influential artists of our time and I never got back to you on that.... here they are:

1. Bob Dylan -sheer longevity and lengthy body of work.
2. Elvis Presley -if he were a songwriter he'd be #1 hands down.
3. Michael Jackson -Influenced multiple generations of musicians.
4. Johnny Cash - Probably deserves to be ranked higher.
5. Prince - master of funk-pop-dance, excellent musician, songwriter and artist in general.

6-10 would include a lot of people who many would find missing in my Top 5. My personal choices are based on my opinion of the artist's entire body of work, the breadth of their talent as an artist and how much attributed influence or inspiration they've received from other musicians. The later being the most important aspect of all.

As suspected most likely. He had acquired an addiction to opioids. Percocet. He had hip surgery a few years ago and has been on it ever since, according to TMZ.

PERCOCET TRIGGERED ODDays Before Death
Prince -- Percocet Triggered OD Days Before Death

This is the very frightening thing, which I posted about earlier: Big Pharma pushing oxycodone to docs starting about 20 years ago, assuring physicians that it WAS NOT addictive. Fucking jerks.

Give us a break!

PLEASE show us a reliable source and link to sources showing pharmaceutical companies were telling DOCTORS, that an opiate painkiller is NOT addictive. And gosh, no doctor would know that an opiate painkiller was addictive.
Place the blame where it belongs, a spoiled celebrity who was surrounded by people who would not say no in fear of losing their gravy train. Family just as guilty if not more so.

it will be weeks until the tox screens are done and there's a cause of death.

The 'music industry' has its good and bad players, but the fact is most of the 'artists' who get big owed nearly all their success to the labels since many of them weren't very good until some producer took an interest in them and groomed them, trained them, provided the best studios and engineers, financed their tours, all that stuff, taking a big chance and putting lots of bucks behind them, so a lot of the sniveling is just whining drivel. In fact many of the musicians themselves are worthless conceited asshats who screw themselves, blowing their royalties and then crying about being ripped off, rip off their fans and concert ticket buyers playing half-assed slop and short sets, all the usual ego-tripping silliness. Chuck Berry was a notorious rip off for decades, but idiots would continue to line up and be ripped off by that asshole for decades as well. Sorry, can't work up any big pity party for most rockers at all, knew too many of them over the years; only a few were truly professional and had real talent.

Forum List

Back