Raise the minimum wage

Let's cut to the chase and channel Andreas Papandreou (a Harvard-trained economist of Krugman quality), the architect of Greece's economic miracle and give, give and give some more until we wind up like Greece.

Minimum wage is not to be a living wage.. it is a STARTER wage... for the ones with zero experience, just beginning their working careers...

This is a simple concept that left wingers just cannot seem to understand

Yet we have driven all wages down and the call is to continue driving them down, so we can be competitive. We are losing the middle class, little by little. If we don't stop the bleeding, our entire economy is going to take a true nose dive as our standard of living is going to drop drastically. I know most on the right don't understand this simple fact, but the wealthy do not drive the economy, the middle class does.

You can raise the minimum wage by a dollar and there will be no effect. If an employer can't afford an extra dollar per hour they are obviously shitty employers.

Asking why the minimum wage shouldn't be $15 or $20 or $30 an hour seems reasonable to me. Where, precisely, is the line drawn, and (here's a great question) who gets to draw it?

But here's the question I have: What, exactly, is a "living wage"?

• Is it for one person working, or two?
  • I pay around $400 a month for all our cell phones. Is that a right when calculating this?
  • What about payments on credit cards being rung up on iPhones, video games, vacations and cool clothes?
  • What about that $450 car payment you have instead of being smart and getting a more reasonably-priced car?
  • What about booze, partying, eating out, movies whenever you feel like it?
  • I assume Christmas and birthday presents should be factored in, right?
  • What about geography? Some places are far more expensive to live in than others.
In other words, some people are far more responsible with a dollar than others. So precisely how are we to determine what an adequate "living wage" is for everyone? Since we're making up arbitrary numbers for what a "living wage" is, shouldn't we examine the other end of the balance sheet as well?

And who makes all these decisions?

Are these not reasonable questions?

I'll assume I'm in the tiny minority on this. These questions seemed reasonable to me...

Asking why the minimum wage shouldn't be $15 or $20 or $30 an hour seems reasonable to me. Where, precisely, is the line drawn, and (here's a great question) who gets to draw it?

• I pay around $400 a month for all our cell phones. Is that a right when calculating this?
  • What about payments on credit cards being rung up on iPhones, video games, vacations and cool clothes?
  • What about that $450 car payment you have instead of being smart and getting a more reasonably-priced car?
  • What about geography? Some places are far more expensive to live in than others.
In other words, some people are far more responsible with a dollar than others. So precisely how are we to determine what an adequate "living wage" is for everyone? Since we're making up arbitrary numbers for what a "living wage" is, shouldn't we examine the other end of the balance sheet as well?

I'll assume I'm in the tiny minority on this. These questions seemed reasonable to me...

More than reasonable, these questions are the core of the issue.

To me, it's a fundamental choice of whether we want to make these questions ourselves in aggregate, as a free society, or whether we want to assign the decisions to centralized authority.

Actually, the answer to your questions is relatively simple. If you cannot afford the listed items, or other luxuries, on your wages/salary, you can either do without, prioritize which are most important and do without the others, or you can work to improve your earning potential so you can afford more of those things you desire. As a society, we have lost our sense of what is needed to survive and what is wanted to make survival more pleasant. Everything on your list are non-essential for survival. If you only earn survival wages, you live at survival levels.

The federal government is not well positioned to establish a minimum wage. The US is to big a country with too many variables in cost of living to have a one-size-fits-all minimum. Each state, or even county, should be able to set it;s own, which they are free to do as long as it is not under Federal.

For this reason, the Federal minimum wage should be set with a view of the cost of living in Bumfuck, Arkansas, not Manhattan.

The federal government is not well positioned to establish a minimum wage. The US is to big a country with too many variables in cost of living to have a one-size-fits-all minimum. Each state, or even county, should be able to set it;s own, which they are free to do as long as it is not under Federal.

For this reason, the Federal minimum wage should be set with a view of the cost of living in Bumfuck, Arkansas, not Manhattan.

It didn't stop the feds from establishing a "one-size-fits-all" educational standard that doesn't work.

Why should they work to improve themselves when they know that Nana Govmint will pick up the slack.

That is what under paying & government subsidizing/supporting minimum wage workers gets you. It trains them that government will take care of them regardless of how hard they work. They need to be paid enough to live off of so they can stand on their own 2 feet & take pride in their accomplishments. Most of the "47% takers" have low paying jobs that instill them with the virtue of government dependency.

This is true, to a point.

But , in a lot of cases those jobs trap people. I mean they pay just enough to wear people can't afford to quit them to return to school or whatever, but not enough to where they can get off assistance.

It's certainly a chicken/egg argument.

I don't have the answer but just saying "there is no problem" isn't going to solve anything.

It's not a chicken/egg argument. The fact is that Republican's grow the Nanny State more than democrats. Sam Walton's 4 kids combined are worth $107.1 Billion making them the richest in the world. They have the most employees near minimum wage & on government assistance of anyone. They can't say their workers don't create them & all the Walmart share holders tremendous wealth. They just make sure us tax payers foot their bills & pay lower tax rates than the middle class who subsidize them. Annually Walmart workers are $4.5 Billion underpaid & use nearly that much in government programs. Walmart also gets another $4.5 Billion in tax breaks annually that Mom & Pop retailers do not get. Walmart's profit was $16 Billion last year, half of which was on the backs of us tax payers. This shit must be stopped! Minimum wage should only be enough to keep worker families out of poverty & off of the government dole. That is about $11.24/hr or $23,050 a year.

Alan Greenspan - We've heard the before... entitlement spending. No two words getting fingers pointing faster in Washington, but Greenspan squashes that.

"Remember that this expansion going on since the early 1960s has been occurring more under Republican administrations than Democratic administrations so it's not a question of Democrats vs. Republicans."

There, that's settled.

Republicans Explode the Size of Government.
8249044743_c2d3daab56_z.jpg

Last edited:
isn't that nice of Obama wanting to raise the min.wage. Since he gave himself and all his cabinet a raise in pay, I guess he wants everyone to believe he is doing us a favor now. Oh boy. This guy Obama is a really good con artist. Can you spot a con artist?? then watch and listen to Obama carefully. He is a accomplished con artist. Bigtime. For those Gullible people, they will go through life not knowing they have been conned.......lol

I've already said, several times..a living wage is enough for ONE person to afford a roof over their heads in a cheap apartment, utilities, food, clothing, medical care and transportation to and from work. It's basic stuff. No one who wants the minimum wage raised expects minimum wage workers to suddenly be able to afford expensive cars, etc. The expect them to be able to afford the basic necessities without having to bum off of their family, friends and government. No one who is working should have to collect foodstamps. That amounts to welfare for the company that is employing them.

I've already said, several times..a living wage is enough for ONE person to afford a roof over their heads in a cheap apartment, utilities, food, clothing, medical care and transportation to and from work. It's basic stuff. No one who wants the minimum wage raised expects minimum wage workers to suddenly be able to afford expensive cars, etc. The expect them to be able to afford the basic necessities without having to bum off of their family, friends and government. No one who is working should have to collect foodstamps. That amounts to welfare for the company that is employing them.

Why should it be ONE person?? People too good for roommates? Too good to live at home?? Too good to walk to work?

No.. minimum wage is not supposed to be an 'on your own' wage.. it is supposed to be a STARTER wage

The vast majority of people making min wage are in fact not heads of households/sole breadwinners. Which is at it should be.

Libs think the choice is between jobs at $8/hr and jobs at $10/hr. It isn't. It is between jobs at 8/hr and fewer jobs, more unemployment, and more gov't dependency. W hich is maybe the point.

You have an unrealistic expectation of life.
He likely has higher expectations of people. I wish more people would do likewise instead of accepting mediocrity. The minimum wage is a manifestation of low expectations as your own. I doesn't stop there though. People instill mediocrity in their children and in doing so perpetuate ignorance and poverty. That is the reason for people making minimum wage, and a tragedy to boot.

There are many people who want to get somewhere in life, but sometimes, circumstances don't allow for that to happen. Its life, and people need to accept that.

Laziness and self pity are by far the most common......

Why should it be ONE person?? People too good for roommates? Too good to live at home?? Too good to walk to work?

No.. minimum wage is not supposed to be an 'on your own' wage.. it is supposed to be a STARTER wage

A lot of MW workers don't have a home to live at, and some of them don't have people they can live with. How do you walk to work when work is 10 miles from your cheap apartment? Would you rather they pay 3 times for the apartment so they can walk to work? When I said transportation I didn't mean car, I meant bus. Remember most MW workers aren't teenagers living at home. Most of them are adults. Take a look around the next time you go to a restaurant. They pay MW, how many of the workers are teenagers?

And again, why do you believe MW workers today are worth less than they were in 1968?

He likely has higher expectations of people. I wish more people would do likewise instead of accepting mediocrity. The minimum wage is a manifestation of low expectations as your own. I doesn't stop there though. People instill mediocrity in their children and in doing so perpetuate ignorance and poverty. That is the reason for people making minimum wage, and a tragedy to boot.

There are many people who want to get somewhere in life, but sometimes, circumstances don't allow for that to happen. Its life, and people need to accept that.

Then there are other things, like disabilities, recovery from whatever, having been married for 20 years and a housewife and then having your husband leave you for someone else....etc.

Well raising the minimum wage to $9.00 an hour will after deducting payroll taxes leave $3,841.76 more to be spent in the economy.
What it cost the employer though is $4,478 (people seem to forget Employer matches employee's payroll taxes)
So while the employee has $3,841 more employer has $4,478 less or a loss to the economy of:$636 per employee.
If an employer with 50 employees says I'm not going to cost my business $223,912 more what will the employer do?

He will find ways to AUTOMATE and replace at least 10 employees to save the $223,000!!!

So the issue is will it cause a recession? Letting people go will NOT put money into the economy!

I'm curious...the money being spent by those making more per hour...does that money evaporate or does it stay in the economy?

Well?

It stays in the economy and works wonders, just like unemployment money, Nancy..... :thup:

Then there are other things, like disabilities, recovery from whatever, having been married for 20 years and a housewife and then having your husband leave you for someone else....etc.

Much less common than the two i listed......

Forum List

Back