Religion and Ethics

Status
Not open for further replies.

No one takes or took the Bible literally.. That is pretty new.. since about 1840 ..
That's been hinted at for some time, and it's increasing in frequency, but I've never heard it stated so directly.
Is it now the popular opinion among Christians?
There certainly is a considerable faction that still believes in a 'literal' bible that is the word of the god.

And then, is there a third faction that believes their bible is still the word of the god, but somehow not to be taken as 'literal'?

No doubt that the bible's nonsense must be reconciled in some way that doesn't call for yet another rewrite.
It's a bit of both Literal and Spiritual.

Literal in the sense that certain places and people are historically acurate.
Spiritual in a sense that it holds a deeper meaning than the literal historical account.

Some just look at the Literal, while others only look at the Spiritual.
But like the Body has a soul, so does the bible have a flesh/carnal/literal account on the outside, as well as deep spiritual meaning and purpose on the inside.

Not everything in the Bible is meant to be taken literal, yet everything in the bible is meant to be taken spiritual.
It reveals to man the condition of his soul.
Every story you can compare your own internal walk of life with.
And when you judge others in the book whether they are good or bad, it gives you a guide to look inside yourself and judge whether you are like those your judging.
It's a book of morals and principles if used correctly.

That's the way I read it.
Hope that helps
Hugs
Thanks but I don't need any help to understand. And fwiw, you lost me when you suggest that everybody has a soul.

I thought that I has stated clearly that another rewrite of the bibles wouldn't be necessary because all the lies and contradictions were being covered by claims of it not being serious. (literal)

Not all believers by any means are going to buy into that sort of dodge. It seems that the catholics are the least into it as they have already started to accept evolution, that necessitates the throwing out of the creation myth.

Today's christians must be able to sell their religious beliefs to their children and that's a pretty much impossible task if the literal bible/bogus bible needs to be explained. Only the lower IQ's will accept the impossible.

Christianity has already taken a huge hit in it's number of followers, and is due for a lot more soon.

Not only do we know that, we've known for decades ;)

The Great Apostasy​

2 Now, brethren, concerning the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ and our gathering together to Him, we ask you, 2 not to be soon shaken in mind or troubled, either by spirit or by word or by letter, as if from us, as though the day of [a]Christ had come. 3 Let no one deceive you by any means; for that Day will not come unless the falling away comes first, and the man of [b]sin is revealed, the son of perdition,

So I guess what I mean by soul or spirit.. thats where your emotions and feelings and ideas and beliefs come from.
All that comes from your brain, as you might know when you take off your religion hat and put on your science hat.
The things that are not physically able to see or touch.
I believe everyone has feelings.. don't you?

Hugs
Of course we all have feelings. Were you trying to suggest that we who don't believe wouldn't?

We have feelings, emotions, ideas, etc. and we make an attempt to be able to understand them, based on what modern science and/or psychiatry knows about the working of our brains.

We don't try to pretend that our emotions are coming from a god.

Christians lack the courage it takes to 'not believe'.

No one takes or took the Bible literally.. That is pretty new.. since about 1840 ..
That's been hinted at for some time, and it's increasing in frequency, but I've never heard it stated so directly.
There certainly is a considerable faction that still believes in a 'literal' bible that is the word of the god.

And then, is there a third faction that believes their bible is still the word of the god, but somehow not to be taken as 'literal'?

No doubt that the bible's nonsense must be reconciled in some way that doesn't call for yet another rewrite.

Spiritual in a sense that it holds a deeper meaning than the literal historical account.

But like the Body has a soul, so does the bible have a flesh/carnal/literal account on the outside, as well as deep spiritual meaning and purpose on the inside.

Not everything in the Bible is meant to be taken literal, yet everything in the bible is meant to be taken spiritual.
And when you judge others in the book whether they are good or bad, it gives you a guide to look inside yourself and judge whether you are like those your judging.

Hope that helps
Hugs
Thanks but I don't need any help to understand. And fwiw, you lost me when you suggest that everybody has a soul.

I thought that I has stated clearly that another rewrite of the bibles wouldn't be necessary because all the lies and contradictions were being covered by claims of it not being serious. (literal)

Not all believers by any means are going to buy into that sort of dodge. It seems that the catholics are the least into it as they have already started to accept evolution, that necessitates the throwing out of the creation myth.

Today's christians must be able to sell their religious beliefs to their children and that's a pretty much impossible task if the literal bible/bogus bible needs to be explained. Only the lower IQ's will accept the impossible.

Christianity has already taken a huge hit in it's number of followers, and is due for a lot more soon.

The Great Apostasy​

2 Now, brethren, concerning the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ and our gathering together to Him, we ask you, 2 not to be soon shaken in mind or troubled, either by spirit or by word or by letter, as if from us, as though the day of [a]Christ had come. 3 Let no one deceive you by any means; for that Day will not come unless the falling away comes first, and the man of [b]sin is revealed, the son of perdition,
When in recent history would it be safe to say that the majority of Christians threw out liberal belief in their bibles? 1950? 2000? 2020?

Or has it not actually become the majority who have recently turned to rejecting their bibles as the literal word of the god? Are you still a part of the minority?

This relatively new way of apologizing for the bible's nonsense surely couldn't have been accepted by anymore than 5% of christians in 1950!

You can apologize for your bible's nonsense in this way but you can't say it's not a very new feint.

So I guess what I mean by soul or spirit.. thats where your emotions and feelings and ideas and beliefs come from.
All that comes from your brain, as you might know when you take off your religion hat and put on your science hat.

Hugs
Of course we all have feelings. Were you trying to suggest that we who don't believe wouldn't?

We have feelings, emotions, ideas, etc. and we make an attempt to be able to understand them, based on what modern science and/or psychiatry knows about the working of our brains.

I wasn't suggesting any such thing.
You believe that science has the answers and I believe that God has the answers...
I'll take the high road and you can take the low road and we'll see who finds heaven first :)

I was going to post that song.. but it's really a ballad. Sad one too.
Anywho...

SMILE
I've been in both places.. to be lieve or not to be lieve that is the question.

HUGS

This relatively new way of apologizing for the bible's nonsense surely couldn't have been accepted by anymore than 5% of christians in 1950!

That's why Jesus says.. Few there be that find it.

Mat 7:14 Because strait is the gate, and narrow is the way, which leadeth unto life, and few there be that find it.

Hugs

Hugs

You believe that science has the answers and I believe that God has the answers...
I'll take the high road and you can take the low road and we'll see who finds heaven first :)
It's guaranteed already that I won't be finding any 'heaven' in the literal sense you suggest. And that's me assuming that you are still with the 'literal' on heaven. You know, in the sense that's suggested in your bibles.

To be able to live life without any need to invent a heaven, is in my opinion taking a high road.

I've made my point. You are going to need to spend your entire life trying to make your point, and you will need to adjust your points and your beliefs over time.

In 1950 the christian bibles were the literal word of the god to about 95% of believers.

Hope that helps
Hugs

The Great Apostasy​

When in recent history would it be safe to say that the majority of Christians threw out liberal belief in their bibles? 1950? 2000? 2020?

Or has it not actually become the majority who have recently turned to rejecting their bibles as the literal word of the god? Are you still a part of the minority?

You can apologize for your bible's nonsense in this way but you can't say it's not a very new feint.

LOL, sorry but your judgements and ideas mean nothing to us. The apostasy is an ongoing issue prophesied in the 1st century BC, we are not surprised, saddened but not surprised. I don't have any need to apologize for the Word at all, it is dynamic, alive and astonishing. Despite suradas (and your) assertion, true Christians have always taken the Word literally. You are free to believe that the Bible is allegorical or Metaphorical, we all make our own choices and we all pay the prices of those choices.

Hugs

It's guaranteed already that I won't be finding any 'heaven' in the literal sense you suggest. And that's me assuming that you are still with the 'literal' on heaven. You know, in the sense that's suggested in your bibles.

To be able to live life without any need to invent a heaven, is in my opinion taking a high road.

I've made my point. You are going to need to spend your entire life trying to make your point, and you will need to adjust your points and your beliefs over time.

In 1950 the christian bibles were the literal word of the god to about 95% of believers.
Heaven is where your heart is.
:)
HUGS

Hugs

HUGS
No, but it might have been back somewhere around 1500 or so. Now it's supposedly where your brain is. If you have nothing more but spamming then we're finished.

Is there a possibility of moving Religious and Ethics to Zone one?

I'm tired of chasing down trolls that only want to bash religion.
Appropriate, warranted criticism of religion is not bashing.
It's their ax to grind but they can't do any grinding without an audience.

Maybe a new forum section in which no dissenting opinions by non-believers would be permitted.

Why not? They would be granted the satisfaction they so desperately look for.

And then it would be satisfaction that they never ever wanted to receive from us.

Hugs

HUGS
No, but it might have been back somewhere around 1500 or so. Now it's supposedly where your brain is. If you have nothing more but spamming then we're finished.
Are you talking to Me?
This is the Religion and Ethics Thread/Forum whatever..
How am I spamming it??
LOL

Your so funny..
Loveable even
:p
HUGS

Believing in Nothing, and risking Nothing, to achieve Nothing ...

In no way takes more Courage than what one must have to believe in Something greater than Themselves, and put what they believe to be their Eternal Soul
in almost Certain Peril of Eternal Damnation, with the Full Understanding that they will Inherently Fail to meet His standards.

It is a Greater Challenge by All Measures.
Not Even Close.

Last edited:
agreed.
where is the line between that, and trolling?

"Moderator's Discretion"
I don't feel any need to move the Religion and Ethics Sub-Forum to Zone 1,
but if you think it will make your job any easier, knock yourself out.

I didn't think shutting the Tavern down, and opening the Lounge was a good idea either,
so I wouldn't suggest my opinion on the matter would amount to much ... :auiqs.jpg:

agreed.

What harm is there in just letting it go? Or show you all mean business and use the Ban Hammer 1st offense, just a short one. It'll work.

agreed.

What harm is there in just letting it go? Or show you all mean business and use the Ban Hammer 1st offense, just a short one. It'll work.
What harm is there in just letting it go?

The only place trolling is sensible is Zone 3.

SOME of the posters here seem to think trolling is a way of life, and should be allowed anywhere.

" Or show you all mean business and use the Ban Hammer 1st offense, just a short one. It'll work."

it doesn't work.

I've always enjoyed reading through topical content related to religion and ethics.

But it's very difficult to keep it civil. It's not just here, it's everywhere.

It would make sense to move it to Zone 1 .

I, for one, actively avoid that section as much as possible.

Religion section threads almost always go like this...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum List

Back