Save the planet - buy an electric car

Looks nice however, I am not willing to trust an all electric car just yet.
Agree, All electric cars are still not ready for prime time.
Maybe great for city use but not if you drive your car any distance,

The same can be said for almost any subcompact no matter what it uses for power. If you want a car that you are going to spend 400 miles a day in 300 days a year, you buy the tool for the job.
Apples and Oranges, If you go on a 600 Mile trip in a gas powered car it will not take you 2 days. If you are in electric car after 400 miles you have to stop and recharge your batteries for 8 hours to get a full charge before you can continue your trip.
They could put solar cells on the body of the car to recharge but....

Sounds more like a tax on the rich. The problem is, middle class should be driving these. And putting a huge increase like that defeats the purpose. How about raising the cost to operate a gas guzzler instead. Or tax more on those things that pollute the air and water.

The Electric car is the future but not if only the rich can afford them.
You ought to buy up the used Chevy Volts before they are crushed.
Or doesn't your home insurance cover any vehicles they suddenly catch fire in your garage?
"Hi honey. I'm at the supermarket. I'll be home in about two days. The fucking Volt ran out of battery again for some reason so I have to plug it in. Is your sister's Wrangler still for sale?".
Chevy Volt discontinued: Chevrolet's last Volt rolls off the assembly line

Volt can't compete with Model 3.

I own a Volt, would never buy a Tesla, a hybrid is fine, all electric makes the Tesla unreliable.

What makes you say that? Some sort of statistics you can share?

There are over half a million Teslas on the road. How much more proof of concept do you need?

When I drive I travel 600-700 miles in a day. I usually will stop once to refuel, pee, grab food and then back on the road. I am not waiting for a car to charge, nor do I want to look for a charging station in the middle of nowhere Tesla doesn’t fit my style, for around the town, my Volt works great for long distance driving my Volt works great. I don’t want to go entirely electric.

Well that's not a question of reliability, that's a question of range and charging speed.

If you are driving 600 miles a day (10 hours at 60mph, really?) you'd have to plan out to use a 300 mile range electric. Tesla does automatically add charging stations to your routing, but it won't be as flexible as ICE.

Or doesn't your home insurance cover any vehicles they suddenly catch fire in your garage?
"Hi honey. I'm at the supermarket. I'll be home in about two days. The fucking Volt ran out of battery again for some reason so I have to plug it in. Is your sister's Wrangler still for sale?".

I own a Volt, would never buy a Tesla, a hybrid is fine, all electric makes the Tesla unreliable.

There are over half a million Teslas on the road. How much more proof of concept do you need?

When I drive I travel 600-700 miles in a day. I usually will stop once to refuel, pee, grab food and then back on the road. I am not waiting for a car to charge, nor do I want to look for a charging station in the middle of nowhere Tesla doesn’t fit my style, for around the town, my Volt works great for long distance driving my Volt works great. I don’t want to go entirely electric.

Well that's not a question of reliability, that's a question of range and charging speed.

If you are driving 600 miles a day (10 hours at 60mph, really?) you'd have to plan out to use a 300 mile range electric. Tesla does automatically add charging stations to your routing, but it won't be as flexible as ICE.

No, I don't need to plan out. I don't buy a Tesla and I can continue to drive the way I need to. Check out rural America, lots of miles between towns and my family, so to visit them 3 or 4 in the morning and drive straight through only stop is for gas, pee and grabbing food.

Last year the power in my area was out for three and a half days, how well is the Tesla going to get recharged? Tesla is great for local but it is not reliable for me. You maybe different but for me it is not. That is why my Volt is a good fir for me.

Nobody wants an EV...look at the sales #s since 2014.:abgg2q.jpg:

For Christsakes.....Ford sold more Focus hatchbacks/sedans that all EV sales combined!:ack-1::auiqs.jpg::auiqs.jpg:

Any time a progressive is talking electric vehicles, count on tons of fakery in the discussion.

Yup, buy an electric car to save the planet and save on fossil fuel. Oh wait, it may cost you a few extra bucks to buy the vehicle, and a few more bucks to support the State.

Illinois might start charging $1,000 per year to own an electric vehicle: 'It's outrageous'

Sounds more like a tax on the rich. The problem is, middle class should be driving these. And putting a huge increase like that defeats the purpose. How about raising the cost to operate a gas guzzler instead. Or tax more on those things that pollute the air and water.

Huh? Wait, I thought you lefties wanted to tax the rich.

Wow, you rightwingnutjobs believe anyone that disagrees even the slightest bit with you are lefties.. Time to clean up the gene pool of people I listen to. Have a nice day.
Not living in reality must be tough on you.

The same can be said for almost any subcompact no matter what it uses for power. If you want a car that you are going to spend 400 miles a day in 300 days a year, you buy the tool for the job.
Apples and Oranges, If you go on a 600 Mile trip in a gas powered car it will not take you 2 days. If you are in electric car after 400 miles you have to stop and recharge your batteries for 8 hours to get a full charge before you can continue your trip.

So you are going to spend 10 hours in the saddle without breaks to get those 600 miles and that's only if you have the range for fuel non stop. 400 miles is a more realistic range for either type of power. Yah, I know, there will be times that you will be going 75 to 85 mph but there are also times when you are going much slower and be stopped. If you try and run 85 miles an hour for 10 hours a day for 300 days a year, you will be getting a new vehicle every year. Do 400 miles and take those 10 hours (including gas and rest stops) and your vehicle might last a couple or three years. The Electric will last at least 7. 400 miles is doable for the electrics now. And by 2025, 600 miles will be the norm with the recharges of only 15 minutes to get those 600 miles. As it stands now, with the super charging stations, it takes about 2.5 hours for a full charge from almost zero. Your home charger might be the 220 version that can do this or you may have your emergency charger using 110 volt where it takes 8 hours. Smart People buy smart. Stupid people buy stupid.

If you are driving the major Interstates, many of the states have influenced companies to install charging stations. Fast charging stations. We have them here on I70. You'll find them about every 100 miles or so. It's called the, "Electric Corridor". Of course, be careful when traveling the "Red" states as they won't have them unless a company just decides they think they should have it. The "Red" states would never push something like this. One would think. But even Kansas has charging stations along the I70 Corridor.

Yup, buy an electric car to save the planet and save on fossil fuel. Oh wait, it may cost you a few extra bucks to buy the vehicle, and a few more bucks to support the State.

Illinois might start charging $1,000 per year to own an electric vehicle: 'It's outrageous'

Huh? Wait, I thought you lefties wanted to tax the rich.

Wow, you rightwingnutjobs believe anyone that disagrees even the slightest bit with you are lefties.. Time to clean up the gene pool of people I listen to. Have a nice day.
Not living in reality must be tough on you.

Time to clean up the gene pool once again. Have a nice day.

No, I don't need to plan out. I don't buy a Tesla and I can continue to drive the way I need to. Check out rural America, lots of miles between towns and my family, so to visit them 3 or 4 in the morning and drive straight through only stop is for gas, pee and grabbing food.

Last year the power in my area was out for three and a half days, how well is the Tesla going to get recharged? Tesla is great for local but it is not reliable for me. You maybe different but for me it is not. That is why my Volt is a good fir for me.

You misread - I said with Tesla you’d need to plan out.

And also said that yes, ICE is more flexible for your situation.

So you are going to spend 10 hours in the saddle without breaks to get those 600 miles and that's only if you have the range for fuel non stop. 400 miles is a more realistic range for either type of power. Yah, I know, there will be times that you will be going 75 to 85 mph but there are also times when you are going much slower and be stopped. If you try and run 85 miles an hour for 10 hours a day for 300 days a year, you will be getting a new vehicle every year. Do 400 miles and take those 10 hours (including gas and rest stops) and your vehicle might last a couple or three years. The Electric will last at least 7. 400 miles is doable for the electrics now. And by 2025, 600 miles will be the norm with the recharges of only 15 minutes to get those 600 miles. As it stands now, with the super charging stations, it takes about 2.5 hours for a full charge from almost zero. Your home charger might be the 220 version that can do this or you may have your emergency charger using 110 volt where it takes 8 hours. Smart People buy smart. Stupid people buy stupid.

I'm not GOING to, I do. I don't mind stopping after 400 miles and refuel, I am not going to stop and take time to recharge, so I'd rather use a more reliable proven system.

I do these trips once sometimes twice a month. I run 600 miles and it takes about 10 hours sometimes 9.5 hours. Two and half hours of charging is too long to wait. I have a life to lead and I'm not spending it waiting to charge a battery.

Oh, and I buy smart.

And I said, no, I won't plan it out, so I won't buy a Tesla. My situation is point A to point B, I don't want to be rerouted by ICE whatever the heck that is. I am not flexible as I like they way it is currently. 600 miles 10 hours is fine for me.

If buying a Tesla, one would definitely need to plan it out.

If you are driving the major Interstates, many of the states have influenced companies to install charging stations. Fast charging stations. We have them here on I70. You'll find them about every 100 miles or so. It's called the, "Electric Corridor". Of course, be careful when traveling the "Red" states as they won't have them unless a company just decides they think they should have it. The "Red" states would never push something like this. One would think. But even Kansas has charging stations along the I70 Corridor.

Really? I have yet to see a single charging station ANYWHERE! Why do you find it impossible to tell the truth?

I'm not GOING to, I do. I don't mind stopping after 400 miles and refuel, I am not going to stop and take time to recharge, so I'd rather use a more reliable proven system.

I do these trips once sometimes twice a month. I run 600 miles and it takes about 10 hours sometimes 9.5 hours. Two and half hours of charging is too long to wait. I have a life to lead and I'm not spending it waiting to charge a battery.

Oh, and I buy smart.

then you buy the right tool for the right job. People me that are more homeward bound don't do 600 mile runs. Besides, my truck only gets 11mpg and it would definitely be the wrong tool for the job. But for around town, my EV that I made is the right tool until I need to haul something. At that point, your car and my EV would be the wrong tool. So we all need the right tool for the right job.

They could put solar cells on the body of the car to recharge but....

A big "but". A squaremeter gets about 1000 kWh solar energy per year. Under good conditions a Tesla needs normally a little more than 20 kWh per 100 km and under very best conditions the degree of efficency of the conversion of solar power is 20%. So 1 squaremeter (1.2 squareyards) could give the power for 1000 km (620 miles) - but the electric energy has also to be stored and to be restored.

and where does the electricity to recharge them come from? does it just pop up out of the air?

There is a net energy loss when transferring from fossil fuel to grid to battery.

Also, the spent batteries are toxic, where do you propose that we dispose of them?

electric cars are not the answer, sorry dude.

First of all not all fossil sources are the same. Last time I checked no one uses gasoline to make electricity.

Secondly part of electricity already comes from non-fossil sources and if really needed to we could make 100% of our electricity from non-fossil sources.

not with current technology we could not make all power from non fossil sources. Maybe some day, but not in the foreseeable future.

an electric car or truck has a max range of 200 or so miles. after that it has to recharge for about 8 hours. Do you really think that would work for someone traveling across the country, or for a long haul trucker?

and you guys never consider the source of the recharge energy or the net energy loss when transferring from grid to battery to wheels to motion.

the day of the Jetsons is not here yet, sorry.

You need to check your facts.

Current Tesla Model S has up to 370 mile range.

Model S | Tesla

It can recharge 50% of that range in 20 min, 80% in 40 min.

OK, but my question remains valid with your clarifications. So how would that work out for a cross country car trip or a long haul trucker? Do you really think there will be electric trucks to replace diesel?

second question: the energy to recharge comes from????

third, how do you dispose of the toxic materials in the batteries when they wear out??

and where does the electricity to recharge them come from? does it just pop up out of the air?

There is a net energy loss when transferring from fossil fuel to grid to battery.

Also, the spent batteries are toxic, where do you propose that we dispose of them?

First of all not all fossil sources are the same. Last time I checked no one uses gasoline to make electricity.

Secondly part of electricity already comes from non-fossil sources and if really needed to we could make 100% of our electricity from non-fossil sources.

not with current technology we could not make all power from non fossil sources. Maybe some day, but not in the foreseeable future.

an electric car or truck has a max range of 200 or so miles. after that it has to recharge for about 8 hours. Do you really think that would work for someone traveling across the country, or for a long haul trucker?

and you guys never consider the source of the recharge energy or the net energy loss when transferring from grid to battery to wheels to motion.

Model S | Tesla

OK, but my question remains valid with your clarifications. So how would that work out for a cross country car trip or a long haul trucker? Do you really think there will be electric trucks to replace diesel?

third, how do you dispose of the toxic materials in the batteries when they wear out??
Wireless chargers installed in roads..

Model S | Tesla

Wireless chargers installed in roads..

and how much would that cost to install on every road in the country? and where would the energy come from to electrify it?

Model S | Tesla

At 65 miles per hour that works out to one hour stop every 5 hours.

But it’s really only one stop for lunch, because you’ll be stoping for the night after 10 hours of driving.

Not as convenient as gasoline, but definitely doable.

Model S | Tesla

At 65 miles per hour that works out to one hour stop every 5 hours.

But it’s really only one stop for lunch, because you’ll be stoping for the night after 10 hours of driving.

Not as convenient as gasoline, but definitely doable.

so would the creation of the recharging energy be more or less efficient that using gasoline for that trip? Do you know? Do you care? and you have been silent on the issue of disposal of toxic batteries in the environment as well as the energy required to make them in the first place.

Forum List

Back