Schumer warns that the Senate will vote on changes to the chamber’s rules by Jan. 17 unless Republicans get out of the way on elections reform

One year ago this week, we experienced great sorrow: mere hours after the dawn of a new
Congress and a new Majority, our beloved Capitol was attacked. It was attacked in a naked
attempt to derail our Republic’s most sacred tradition: the peaceful transfer of power. Domestic
violent extremists sought to inflict chaos and violence. Fueled by conspiracy and the ravings of a
vengeful former President, they sought to destroy our Republic.
Our democracy held – for now.
As we all are witnessing, the attacks on our democracy have not ceased. In fact, they have only
accelerated. Much like the violent insurrectionists who stormed the US Capitol nearly one year
ago, Republican officials in states across the country have seized on the former president’s Big
Lie about widespread voter fraud to enact anti-democratic legislation and seize control of
typically non-partisan election administration functions. While these actions all proceed under
the guise of so-called “election integrity”, the true aim couldn’t be more clear. They want to
unwind the progress of our Union, restrict access to the ballot, silence the voices of millions of
voters, and undermine free and fair elections. They wish to propagate the Big Lie perpetuated by
the former president that our elections are not on the level.
Make no mistake about it: this week Senate Democrats will make clear that what happened on
January 6th and the one-sided, partisan actions being taken by Republican-led state legislatures
across the country are directly linked, and we can and must take strong action to stop this antidemocratic march. Specifically, as we honor the brave Capitol police officers who defended us
from those motivated by the Big Lie who tried to undo a fair and free election, Senate Democrats
will continue to make the case for passing voting rights legislation to counter the Republican
voter suppression and election nullification laws with the same anti-democratic motives born out
of the Big Lie.
Let me be clear: January 6th was a symptom of a broader illness - an effort to delegitimize our
election process, and the Senate must advance systemic democracy reforms to repair our republic
or else the events of that day will not be an aberration – they will be the new norm. Given the
urgency of the situation and imminence of the votes, we as Senate Democrats must urge the
public in a variety of different ways to impress upon their Senators the importance of acting and
reforming the Senate rules, if that becomes a perquisite for action to save our democracy.

We must ask ourselves: if the right to vote is the cornerstone of our democracy, then how can we
in good conscience allow for a situation in which the Republican Party can debate and pass voter
suppression laws at the State level with only a simple majority vote, but not allow the United
States Senate to do the same?
We must adapt. The Senate must evolve, like it has many times before. The Senate was designed
to evolve and has evolved many times in our history. As former Senator Robert Byrd famously
said, Senate Rules “must be changed to reflect changed circumstances.” Put more plainly by
Senator Byrd, “Congress is not obliged to be bound by the dead hand of the past.”
The fight for the ballot is as old as the Republic. Over the coming weeks, the Senate will once
again consider how to perfect this union and confront the historic challenges facing our
democracy. We hope our Republican colleagues change course and work with us. But if they do
not, the Senate will debate and consider changes to Senate rules on or before January 17, Martin
Luther King Jr. Day, to protect the foundation of our democracy: free and fair elections
I see leftist Basque has been allowed the keyboard to troll the forum with his insanity.

Next week the Trump supporting Basque will be posting again

How does limiting the number of drop boxes not trying to suppress my vote? How is increasing faulty voter purges not suppressing my vote? I could go on and on asking the same thing about the rest of these suppression bills, and you couldn't logically explain to me how they help someone vote easier.

More to the point how does it suppress your vote? You can't drive three extra blocks?

Get real.

Haha, how would that work? Kind of a bizarre fantasy you made, there.
I guess kind of like what Schumer is going to suggest, and what has already been talked about.

I don't know if it would work, I'm just saying that if repubs are not careful, they could find themselves having zero leverage now, and still be subject to the filibuster later on when they have power.

Maybe the dems are right, just get rid of the filibuster, but make it a permanent thing.

My point exactly. Refer to post #250.
It was the GOP abuse of the filibuster for each and every presidential nominee that prompted the Dems to carve out a change to the filibuster for fed judges. Then the GQP carved out one for the SCOTUS so they could pack the court.

If Republicans truly cared about Democracy they would be fighting to pass this legislation but, to a person, they're refusing to do what is right.

So, screw them. Carve out the exception and force the vote then pass the legislation.

Let them try to win on the issues for a change.

I get that. But we need a functioning Senate. Our country is currently an embarrassment.
It's been an embarrassment for a long time. Democrats and Republicans can't compromise. Bush and Kennedy did well but since then the leaders of the House and Senate are not and will not work together. Party over America and that is the problem on both sides of the aisle and will continue to be until we can break the two party system.

They could, but will they?

I guess kind of like what Schumer is going to suggest, and what has already been talked about.

I don't know if it would work, I'm just saying that if repubs are not careful, they could find themselves having zero leverage now, and still be subject to the filibuster later on when they have power.

Maybe the dems are right, just get rid of the filibuster, but make it a permanent thing.

First of all, the repubs already have zero leverage, other than making sure the democrats realize that whatever rule changes they make for themselves will be the same rules the GOP will use when it's their turn as the majority.

Next, it appears than Manchin and Sinema are both not budging from their stance not to abolish the filibuster, including any carve-out idea. Simply put, if the democrats can carve-out what they want then so can the repubs when they're in charge. There ain't going to be no one-time good deal, if they do it then so can the GOP.

Third, all this crap about voter suppression is bullshit. There is plenty of time and opportunity for people to get the ID they need to vote. If anybody needs help then the democrats out to provide it, and it oughta be free. Is there any state where it costs money to get a voter-id without state or local gov't offering it for free? Doubt it.

Fourth, what I think is happening is that the democrats know damn well they ain't going to abolish the filibuster and they ain't going to get their voting rights law passed through the Senate. What they're doing now is trying to placate the Far-Left wing of the party with lip service, i.e., bullshit. It's all political theater.

Asking for proof of who one is is not voter suppression. I checked out some of those bills you posted, and not one I checked so far has suppressed anything.
First off, most of those are bills that haven't been signed into law yet. So how you figure they haven't suppressed yet is hilarious.

Secondly, the ones that have been implemented in the past have suppressed the vote; The Election Was Stolen - Here’s How... - Greg Palast

EVEN more to the point, how does removing drop boxes ensure election security?

Because it removes boxes that can be flooded with fake ballots. The idea is to ensure a SECURE vote. One that is not subject to fraud. The more boxes, the more fraud. How else do you think all of these magical thousands of votes keep miraculously appearing days after voting day?

It's been an embarrassment for a long time. Democrats and Republicans can't compromise. Bush and Kennedy did well but since then the leaders of the House and Senate are not and will not work together

They can and have compromised, most recently in the bipartisan infrastructure bill. I think the problem is that the democrats are trying to implement as much of the Green New Deal as they can which course is something the GOP cannot support. So, the democrats are trying to get rid of the filibuster so they can do as they please.

If you did that, elections would have no meaning.

I mean, how stupid does one need to be, to not understand how 400 voter suppression bills are not meant for "we the people?"
For some reason you think if you keep bleating 400 VOTER SUPPRESSION BILLS someone will actually believe your lies.

Moron.

Forum List

Back