Should muslims be allowed to be airline pilots?

Cool. I can put a bandaid on someone so I must be a doctor.

What a silly and ridiculous analogy. In order to even OPERATE an aircraft, you must know what you are doing.
No, it's a perfect analogy. They couldn't get a jet to take off or land. They could steer it into a building.

I can't sew someone's head back together, but I can put a bandaid on them.

So if they were pilots, I'm a doctor.

American Airlines Flight 77 - Wikipedia the free encyclopedia

The hijackers on American Airlines Flight 77 were led by Hani Hanjour, who piloted the aircraft into the Pentagon.[1] Hanjour first came to the United States in 1990.[2]

Hanjour trained at the CRM Airline Training Center in Scottsdale, Arizona, earning his FAA commercial pilot's certificate in April 1999.[3] He had wanted to be a commercial pilot for the Saudi national airline but was rejected when he applied to the civil aviation school in Jeddah in 1999. Hanjour's brother later explained that, frustrated at not finding a job, Hanjour "increasingly turned his attention toward religious texts and cassette tapes of militant Islamic preachers".[4] Hanjour returned to Saudi Arabia after being certified as a pilot, but left again in late 1999, telling his family that he was going to the United Arab Emirates to work for an airline.[5] Hanjour likely went to Afghanistan, where Al Qaeda recruits were screened for special skills they may have. Already having selected the Hamburg Cell members, Al Qaeda leaders selected Hanjour to lead the fourth team of hijackers.[6]
Okay, he had his license but no job as a pilot. Still quite a difference from what the German has allegedly done.

No, not really different at all. He was also an inexperienced pilot who took control of the plane and deliberately crashed it. THAT much has already been established by the experts and investigators.
Alrighty! We have exactly one certified pilot that deliberately crashed an airplane as a terrorist act.

I'm terrified.

What a silly and ridiculous analogy. In order to even OPERATE an aircraft, you must know what you are doing.
No, it's a perfect analogy. They couldn't get a jet to take off or land. They could steer it into a building.

The hijackers on American Airlines Flight 77 were led by Hani Hanjour, who piloted the aircraft into the Pentagon.[1] Hanjour first came to the United States in 1990.[2]

Hanjour trained at the CRM Airline Training Center in Scottsdale, Arizona, earning his FAA commercial pilot's certificate in April 1999.[3] He had wanted to be a commercial pilot for the Saudi national airline but was rejected when he applied to the civil aviation school in Jeddah in 1999. Hanjour's brother later explained that, frustrated at not finding a job, Hanjour "increasingly turned his attention toward religious texts and cassette tapes of militant Islamic preachers".[4] Hanjour returned to Saudi Arabia after being certified as a pilot, but left again in late 1999, telling his family that he was going to the United Arab Emirates to work for an airline.[5] Hanjour likely went to Afghanistan, where Al Qaeda recruits were screened for special skills they may have. Already having selected the Hamburg Cell members, Al Qaeda leaders selected Hanjour to lead the fourth team of hijackers.[6]
Okay, he had his license but no job as a pilot. Still quite a difference from what the German has allegedly done.

No, not really different at all. He was also an inexperienced pilot who took control of the plane and deliberately crashed it. THAT much has already been established by the experts and investigators.
Alrighty! We have exactly one certified pilot that deliberately crashed an airplane as a terrorist act.

I'm terrified.

You probably wouldn't be so flippant if one of YOUR loved ones was killed in such a manner.

Being a certified airline pilot requires a couple of things that are missing here. A pilot's license and actual flight hours on a commercial aircraft.

Given their history of murdering innocent people, usually through the practice of hijacking planes, the answer to your question is a definite and resounding NO! In fact, they shouldn't be allowed to even board planes as passengers.

Have you ever wondered why you aren't smarter? You should think about that, because it seems to be a real problem.
I've wondered why you never have a point to make.

As if you ever actually wondered about anything.

Look, every single ONE of your posts is pointless. POINTLESS and stupid.

Tell yourself what ever you need to get through the day.

I'm terrified.

You probably wouldn't be so flippant if one of YOUR loved ones was killed in such a manner.
Another emotional appeal.

This guy wasn't a Muslim. He wasn't gay. He wasn't black. Hell, it is not even proven that this was a deliberate act.

Hmmm. My inclination is to say no. Why? For the same reasons of what SJ just said. BUT...on the other hand, not all muslims are murderers or extremists. Then again, the risk that one IS an extremist and has such a weapon in his hands...but then thats painting all of them with a very broad brush....however, is the glass half empty or half full?

Difficult question. I'm not sure how to answer because I just flat don't know the answer to it.
Really?

This is the easiest question you will ever have to answer - your religious beliefs are not subject to arbitrary governmental oversight - PERIOD. Do you also want the constitution simply done away with?
The Constitution is not a suicide pact.

If we are doing (or allowing) something that is extremely dangerous and detrimental to the public safety, a way will be found to squash it.

Even if it means bending the rules a bit in order to shoehorn-in the legal mechanism(s) by which that squashing would be accomplished.

Why?

Because, when safety and Constitutionality are in conflict in times of extremis, safety wins, nearly every time.

Don't believe that?

Just ask the Japanese-Americans of our West Coast during the 1941-1945 time frame - still within Living Memory.

Or those incarcerated by the LIncoln Administration in the 1860s during the Civil War, after the suspension of habeus corpus, once the shooting started.

Shit happens.

We can continue to hope that that particular type of shit does not manifest.

But we should not fool ourselves that The Nation and The People would not act, should the situation worsen to that point of extreme danger.
So getting on a plane with a Muslim is suicide.

Just admit that you do not care what the constitution stands for or protects - it is clear that you think freedom for all Americans actually means freedom for those that fall into the proper group.

I am also well aware of the fact that we have abandoned our ideals and morals in times of crisis. Unlike you though the events DISGUST ME and under no circumstances should be repeated. Japanese internment caps are a blight on American morals and supporting the asinine idea in the OP is harkening back to that type of thought. If that is how we are going to treat our most sacred ideals then we shouldn't even bother. Close the nation up and turn it into a totalitarian governent already.

No one from a Japanese interment camp did anything to an innocent American. Muslims have looked for Americans to behead, piloted planes to kill people on board and innocent people on the ground, massacred people in military bases, I could go on. Would I get on a plane with a man who wore a mask? No! Just as I would opt off a plane with a pilot with a turban. If you want to fly with an ISis pilot, knock yourself out. I'll pass.

This is disengenius. They were trained to pilot planes yes. But they were most certainly not the pilots of those planes, they were hijackers.

Didn't they get certified as pilots? they were pilots, lets not beat around the bush. Just like if I were to finish bartending school, I am a bartender.

In much the same way as bartender school makes you a qualified airline pilot.

Sounds about right.

Do we have the right to ask whether a pilot is a qualified bartender?

This could make for a more interesting flight...
I have a family of 6. That means when I peer into the cockpit and see a prayer rug, I will take them off the plane and book another flight. I doubt any of you Leftists would actually risk your family based on your misguided notion of "tolerance".

It has nothing to do with "misguided" tolerance. Pilots are professionals, well screened and vetted. Incidents like this one, which is looking like a suicide are exceedingly rare when you look at the big picture. As far as I can find - there have been no verifiable incidents of professional pilots crashing a plane for "jihadi" purposes. Yes, the 9/11 terrorists hijacked a plane and forced it to crash, and yes, they were trained to be pilots but they were not professional pilots. There have been more cases of pilot suicides then pilots-turned-jihadists.

So, no it's not "misguided tolerance" - it's logic.

If I were traveling with my family, it wouldn't be the pilots I'd worry about and the pilots religion would have no bearing on it.

Just for laughs - what are you going to do if you ever visit the Middle East? Chances are - your pilot will be Muslim. And as an interesting sidenote - for airplane safety, UAE is one of the safest.

Didn't they get certified as pilots? they were pilots, lets not beat around the bush. Just like if I were to finish bartending school, I am a bartender.

Sounds about right.

I have a family of 6. That means when I peer into the cockpit and see a prayer rug, I will take them off the plane and book another flight. I doubt any of you Leftists would actually risk your family based on your misguided notion of "tolerance".

It has nothing to do with "misguided" tolerance. Pilots are professionals, well screened and vetted. Incidents like this one, which is looking like a suicide are exceedingly rare when you look at the big picture. As far as I can find - there have been no verifiable incidents of professional pilots crashing a plane for "jihadi" purposes. Yes, the 9/11 terrorists hijacked a plane and forced it to crash, and yes, they were trained to be pilots but they were not professional pilots. There have been more cases of pilot suicides then pilots-turned-jihadists.

If I were traveling with my family, it wouldn't be the pilots I'd worry about and the pilots religion would have no bearing on it.

Just for laughs - what are you going to do if you ever visit the Middle East? Chances are - your pilot will be Muslim. And as an interesting sidenote - for airplane safety, UAE is one of the safest.

So these guys were pilots just not professional pilots? come on now lol. Of course the pilots in Arab countries will be Muslim but I dont think many of us have any vacations planned over there anytime soon.

Sounds about right.

So these guys were pilots just not professional pilots? come on now lol. Of course the pilots in Arab countries will be Muslim but I dont think many of us have any vacations planned over there anytime soon.

Professional airline pilots go through a hell of a lot of screening and testing, not just once but annually. How many professional pilots have gone "Jihadi" on the airline they were in charge of?

I'm terrified.

She's just being accurate. What is wrong with that?

How many pilots have gone all jihad on us? One is enough. Do you need more to see the dangerous situation we are now in?

Logic states that if it walks like a duck, quacks like a duck, it's probably a duck.
Islam has declared war on western infidels. They will do all they can in the name of their religion, which includes lying and misleading the infidels. They also want islam to be THE religion the world over and will kill to make it happen.
So logic therefore is part of the suspicion whenever an airplane crashes for no apparent reason or some guy in the ME is found with his head on a stick or a woman found in a hole up to her shoulders stoned to death. Doesn't matter if the woman was muslim. She is worth less than the rocks that killed her.

Walk, quack, duck. Simple.

How many people have to die before we figure this out? All the planes that are deliberately crashed have had muslim pilots. Are we so afraid of hurting their feelings that we'll continue to sacrifice innocent lives, including children? Should passengers be allowed to know if their pilot is muslim? If not, why not?

german PI-news, which says the pilot was a convert is a rightwingnuyt blog. why don't you deal in reality?

How many pilots have gone all jihad on us? One is enough. Do you need more to see the dangerous situation we are now in?
What if this guy turns out to have been a Christian. Should we then also not allow Christians to be airline pilots?

What if this guy turns out to have been a Christian. Should we then also not allow Christians to be airline pilots?

the issue is -----private illness vs MASSIVE GROUP AGENDA. ----there is actually a big difference between a crime committed as the result of sickness and one committed as a manifestion of MASSIVE
COLLUSION-----collusion is a very big issue in
criminology. Motive is important in the evaluation of
crime. For the sake of---theoretical consideration----
if it is found that he was converted by some nutty radical Islamic preacher who advocated random
killing of infidels-------and he decided to comply-----
his crime is a bit different from ------"depressed young male----who saw an opportunity to die fast and has
a sudden impulse to do so"-----from the standpoint of
SOCIETY------such instances are less dangerous than
a BIG TIME PLAN that can involved the PARTICIPATION of many

Forum List

Back