Teacher Fired for Stepping on U.S. Flag

Shameful that a teacher would be fired for this.

That school could have used that as an educational tool. Instead, they acted like they're in Iran.

Completely disses all the people who died so we would have the right to step on or burn a piece of fabric that symbolizes our most precious freedom - the First Amendment.
"That school could have used that as an educational tool."

Yes, they could have invited some of those people on permanent disability from defending that flag to come and tell the students just how much THEY gave, and how little the teacher respects their sacrifice.
The beauty of it is, they still can.

Nobody's on disability for defending a flag. A country maybe but not a frickin' flag.

But they could do that. Then they could segue into a class exploration of what symbolism and fetishism mean.

As a final finishing touch to which, they could come up and inspect the flag closely to read the words:
"Made in China".

There's a lesson.

You know, for a fact, that that particular flag was made in China?

But you go ahead, burn the flag, walk on the flag. piss on it if you want.

Just be careful who you do it in front of.

Some guy with a metal leg make kick your ass.

or a man with a metal arm may knock your block off.

and while you're in the hospital, keep mumbling thru your broken teeth:

'But, I was just expressing my freedom of speech using a piece of cloth that doesn't mean a thing."

Ya know, an excellent place to show off your freedom of speech would be in front of a VA hospital, or even a clinic.

Even better place, would be outside the local VFW, somewhere about closing time.

Somehow, I doubt you have the guts for that.

Try me.

So what you're saying here is Constitutional rights can be infringed by physical assault.
Good luck with that.
Try you?

Sorry, I'm not in a VA hospital or clinic,

I'm not a drunk coming out of a bar at closing time.

and I figure those types would be more than you can handle.

they didn't make their 'bones' being an armchair warrior.

"That school could have used that as an educational tool."

Yes, they could have invited some of those people on permanent disability from defending that flag to come and tell the students just how much THEY gave, and how little the teacher respects their sacrifice.

Nobody's on disability for defending a flag. A country maybe but not a frickin' flag.

But they could do that. Then they could segue into a class exploration of what symbolism and fetishism mean.

As a final finishing touch to which, they could come up and inspect the flag closely to read the words:
"Made in China".

There's a lesson.

'But, I was just expressing my freedom of speech using a piece of cloth that doesn't mean a thing."

Ya know, an excellent place to show off your freedom of speech would be in front of a VA hospital, or even a clinic.

Even better place, would be outside the local VFW, somewhere about closing time.

Try me.

So what you're saying here is Constitutional rights can be infringed by physical assault.
Good luck with that.
Try you?

Basically it comes down to this:
I have on my side the Constitution of the United States of America.
You have on yours, brass knuckles.

Guess who wins. :eusa_hand:

"Made in China".

There's a lesson.

Try me.

Good luck with that.
Try you?

the cripple with the brass knuckles.

Unless, like most wimps, you take a lawyer to a fist fight.

that the new definition of a 'real man'?

"My lawyer can out sue your lawyer"?

Willing to stand up for their rights, as long as they have a lawyer propping them up.

As laughable as it sounds.

so you can burn the flag....but you cant step on it?.......
I doubt a teacher can burn one and not be fired.

I wonder if those that defend the teacher would defend a teacher that said something against the gay marriage ruling while in front of a class?

Is anyone defending the teacher?

I'm defending her rights.

You know - those things you rabid RWs are always so ready to take from everyone who does not agree with you.
I'm not...and HE made a very bad move. Very poor judgement. He could have talked about recent cases of people stepping on the flag....not do it himself.

Apparently not.

I couldn't even find one with a Made in China tag at Walmart.

The school is within grounds to fire teachers that are needlessly disruptive to the learning of students. Obviously students in the class found it offensive, and the parents found it totally inappropriate.

Whether you find it unfair or not, that is how education works. The same rules allow schools to keep holocaust deniers, racists,etc from teaching kids. Take away those rules, and Neo Nazis, IS/Al Qaeda supporters, and David Irving will be teaching US history. Because that too is 'free speech'.

"Made in China".

There's a lesson.

Try me.

Good luck with that.
Try you?

Willing to stand up for their rights, as long as they have a lawyer propping them up.

That doesn't make a lick of sense. :cuckoo:

Again --- I stand for the Constitution; you stand for assault. Guess who wins.

This is your second round on the same question.
Don't blow it this time.

Try me.

Good luck with that.
Try you?

That doesn't make a lick of sense. :cuckoo:

Again --- I stand for the Constitution; you stand for assault. Guess who wins.

This is your second round on the same question.
Don't blow it this time.

I didn't blow it the first time.

LEARN

TO

READ.

The school is within grounds to fire teachers that are needlessly disruptive to the learning of students. Obviously students in the class found it offensive, and the parents found it totally inappropriate.

Whether you find it unfair or not, that is how education works. The same rules allow schools to keep holocaust deniers, racists,etc from teaching kids. Take away those rules, and Neo Nazis, IS/Al Qaeda supporters, and David Irving will be teaching US history. Because that too is 'free speech'.

Nobody disputes they have the right to do so. It's their school.
The larger question is, what is served by taking the action they did?

Answer: not a damn thing.

so you can burn the flag....but you cant step on it?.......
I doubt a teacher can burn one and not be fired.

I wonder if those that defend the teacher would defend a teacher that said something against the gay marriage ruling while in front of a class?

Is anyone defending the teacher?

I'm defending her rights.

You know - those things you rabid RWs are always so ready to take from everyone who does not agree with you.
I'm not...and HE made a very bad move. Very poor judgement. He could have talked about recent cases of people stepping on the flag....not do it himself.
People are displaying selective outrage. That's half the problem. Lets say this wasn't a flag.

If you argue free speech absolutism - meaning deny school boards a say, deny students a say, and deny parents a say; and allow teachers complete autonomy.

Then in the same breath, they can't deny any teacher their right to speak their mind - even if they say all gays are evil, the holocaust was a lie, and slavery was right.

Answer: Actions have consequences

We all have the right to die And pay taxes. Everything else is optional. If you can defend a right, you have that right. If you can't defend it, you don't have it.
I'be lived long enough to see polititions from all parts of the political spectrum piss on the constitution. They do what is expedient in the moment.

Answer: Actions have consequences

And the consequences of this action were that the students were taught two things:
One, the teacher believed in the concept of free speech,
And Two, the school board does not.

Teachers should take into consideration the students they are teaching, the opinions of parents and students, as well as the school board.

It isn't a question of fairness or what was served by it.

There are exceptions (and this school board might even be wrong in it's decision), but do you deny that it might upset some students and parents, for those teaching their kids to step on the US flag?

Shameful that a teacher would be fired for this.

That school could have used that as an educational tool. Instead, they acted like they're in Iran.

Completely disses all the people who died so we would have the right to step on or burn a piece of fabric that symbolizes our most precious freedom - the First Amendment.
The teacher sold that right, during school hours, for pay.

Not surprising you would defend the stupid teacher though.

Who would want a teacher so stupid as to not realize this was provocative, offensive behaviour in a classroom situation?

Wrong as usual.

Americans don't give up their First Amendment rights when they get to work every day.

And yes, I will always defend the First Amendment.

BUT, open your mind for just a moment and think about this:

We need to push the edge of the First Amendment envelope. Think of all the things that tick you off. Westboro, kkk, asshole white supremacists wanting a terrorist flag on a govt building. Or how about a shock jock or the publisher of Hustler, back when he pulled his stunts. Or, the lies from fox, the empty bluster from lusbo ............

The list is endless BECAUSE we have the First Amendment.

If we did not have the right to set fire to or step on a piece of fabric, we also would not have the right to sit here and yell at at each other.

I would not set fire to or walk on the flag. I despise the nazi-type assholes who want children, women, blacks, hispanics to shut up and home but I will always defend their right to be assholes and I always will.

Some of your fellow liberals made the exact same argument to support the firing of the police officer with the Confederate flag photo on his facebook page. That he gave up his first amendment rights in exchange for a government job. And conservatives made the opposing argument in that case.

Shifting principles, so politically liquid these days I think we need a new name for them. How about "Jello Ethics"? Pliable, semi-solid and able to easily conforming to any possible receptacle.

Forum List

Back