Texas Abortion bill

Status
Not open for further replies.
Texas is a unique place, and I loved having two of my homes there for many years. However, the parochial, insular, old-timey religious folks, which make Perry's based, run the culture through the laws there. They will pass new legislation next week in the special session. Then the courts will kill it.

Perry is the same ole "oops" dunce. Thanks to him, Texas won't remain "red" for too long.

Texas is a unique place, and I loved having two of my homes there for many years. However, the parochial, insular, old-timey religious folks, which make Perry's based, run the culture through the laws there. They will pass new legislation next week in the special session. Then the courts will kill it.

Perry is the same ole "oops" dunce. Thanks to him, Texas won't remain "red" for too long.

Perry can't be semi-dictator for much longer. The growth of the Hispanic population and the aging of the younger populations and the dying off of the evangelical wing without replacements for that will flip the state between 2020 and 2024.

Never mind the vicious nonsense of claiming that an embryo has a “right to life.” A piece of protoplasm has no rights—and no life in the human sense of the term. One may argue about the later stages of a pregnancy, but the essential issue concerns only the first three months. To equate a potential with an actual, is vicious; to advocate the sacrifice of the latter to the former, is unspeakable. . . . Observe that by ascribing rights to the unborn, i.e., the nonliving, the anti-abortionists obliterate the rights of the living: the right of young people to set the course of their own lives. The task of raising a child is a tremendous, lifelong responsibility, which no one should undertake unwittingly or unwillingly. - Ayn Rand

Most Texans believe that Texas laws already places enough restrictions on abortion and we don't need any new laws. Perry is wasting tax payer money.

Bullshit. MOST TEXANS, as in the majority, wanted the bill to pass.

What happenes is what is referred to as "tyranny by the minority".

Nah, the bill did not pass the legislature, which is the fault of the majority.

The court will hold the second it passes.

Last edited:
Executions in Texas at 500 since 1982 as woman put to death - World - CBC News

Kimberly McCarthy, 52, became the 500th person in Texas to be executed when she was put to death Wednesday night ....

and the "tyranny by the majority" is a blessing for koshergrl ... when they are more than willing to take another persons life to suit their interests .... yes for one but no for the other.

she loves forcing her views on others :thup: Remember when segregated schools were approved by the majority?

On the first point. Not bovine excrement.

Of registered voters, 63 percent say the state has enough restrictions on abortion and 71 percent thinking that the Governor and legislature should be more focused on the economy and jobs. A majority opposes the sort of legislation passed by the state Senate and being considered by the state House during this legislative Special Session, believing that it imposes further restrictions on abortion. Overall, only 34 percent trust the Governor and the legislature to make decisions about women's healthcare.

Texas Voters Oppose Governor Perry's Omnibus Abortion Bill - GQR

Second point. Yes the Anti-Choice folks here in Texas are in the minority........

"The rub here is that the court ruled that citizens using the legal process had no standing to defend a law that they had already passed. But in Texas, the mob in effect grabbed standing not granted to it in law to stop a bill that the majority favors. In both cases, ordinary citizens in the majority lost in what is supposed to be a representative republic."

The PJ Tatler » A Few Thoughts on the Texas Filibuster and the Supremes

"Davis stood and spoke continuously for nearly 11 hours in an attempt to block passage of SB 5, a bill that would ban all abortions after 20 weeks and could effectively close all but five abortion clinics in the state. Supporters say the new, stringent standards raise the level of care for Texas women. The majority of Texas voters polled have shown support for restrictions on abortion"

Texas Legislators Called Back For Special Session On Abortion Bill : The Two-Way : NPR

Wendy-350x350.jpg

So unless one goes to medical school they have no interest in preserving the lives of their children or any other child?

I have a counterquote for that

"Abortionists, either get out of the killing business, or go to parenting school."

First rule of parenting: Say to your kids as often as possible, "I brought you into this world, and I can take you out of it!"

Except the aborted fetuses were never brought into this world. They were never intended to be.

Executions in Texas at 500 since 1982 as woman put to death - World - CBC News

Kimberly McCarthy, 52, became the 500th person in Texas to be executed when she was put to death Wednesday night ....

and the "tyranny by the majority" is a blessing for koshergrl ... when they are more than willing to take another persons life to suit their interests .... yes for one but no for the other.

I don't know what you're talking about, perhaps you're under the influence (again, or still...who knows) BUT "tyranny by the majority" is also known as "democracy" whereas "tyranny by the minority" is just...tyranny.

AUSTIN, Texas (AP) -- Wearing pink tennis shoes to prepare for nearly 13 consecutive hours of standing, a Democratic Texas state senator on Tuesday began a one-woman filibuster to block a GOP-led effort that would impose stringent new abortion restrictions across the nation's second-most populous state.

Sen. Wendy Davis, 50, of Fort Worth began the filibuster at 11:18 a.m. CDT Tuesday and passed the halfway mark in her countdown to midnight - the deadline for the end of the 30-day special session.

Rules stipulate she remain standing, not lean on her desk or take any breaks - even for meals or to use the bathroom. Colleagues removed her chair so she wouldn't sit down by mistake.

If signed into law, the measures would close almost every abortion clinic in Texas, a state 773 miles wide and 790 miles long with 26 million people. A woman living along the Mexico border or in West Texas would have to drive hundreds of miles to obtain an abortion if the law passes.

In her opening remarks, Davis said she was "rising on the floor today to humbly give voice to thousands of Texans" and called Republican efforts to pass the bill a "raw abuse of power."

PilotOnline.com: national & world News for Hampton Roads, Va., from The Virginian-Pilot

Chris, let me ask you and any of the liberals here. Was she right to use the filibuster?

"The rub here is that the court ruled that citizens using the legal process had no standing to defend a law that they had already passed. But in Texas, the mob in effect grabbed standing not granted to it in law to stop a bill that the majority favors. In both cases, ordinary citizens in the majority lost in what is supposed to be a representative republic."

The PJ Tatler » A Few Thoughts on the Texas Filibuster and the Supremes

"Davis stood and spoke continuously for nearly 11 hours in an attempt to block passage of SB 5, a bill that would ban all abortions after 20 weeks and could effectively close all but five abortion clinics in the state. Supporters say the new, stringent standards raise the level of care for Texas women. The majority of Texas voters polled have shown support for restrictions on abortion"

Texas Legislators Called Back For Special Session On Abortion Bill : The Two-Way : NPR

We already have restrictions on abortions that most Texans support, but on these new more restrictive measures, the polls do not show majority support. Trying to ram these new restrictions through a special session does not rise to the cause of an emergency session.

So unless one goes to medical school they have no interest in preserving the lives of their children or any other child?

I have a counterquote for that

"Abortionists, either get out of the killing business, or go to parenting school."

First rule of parenting: Say to your kids as often as possible, "I brought you into this world, and I can take you out of it!"

Except the aborted fetuses were never brought into this world. They were never intended to be.

Sure they were intended to be. people just killed them before they had a chance to reach their potential.

AUSTIN, Texas (AP) -- Wearing pink tennis shoes to prepare for nearly 13 consecutive hours of standing, a Democratic Texas state senator on Tuesday began a one-woman filibuster to block a GOP-led effort that would impose stringent new abortion restrictions across the nation's second-most populous state.

Sen. Wendy Davis, 50, of Fort Worth began the filibuster at 11:18 a.m. CDT Tuesday and passed the halfway mark in her countdown to midnight - the deadline for the end of the 30-day special session.

Rules stipulate she remain standing, not lean on her desk or take any breaks - even for meals or to use the bathroom. Colleagues removed her chair so she wouldn't sit down by mistake.

If signed into law, the measures would close almost every abortion clinic in Texas, a state 773 miles wide and 790 miles long with 26 million people. A woman living along the Mexico border or in West Texas would have to drive hundreds of miles to obtain an abortion if the law passes.

In her opening remarks, Davis said she was "rising on the floor today to humbly give voice to thousands of Texans" and called Republican efforts to pass the bill a "raw abuse of power."

PilotOnline.com: national & world News for Hampton Roads, Va., from The Virginian-Pilot

Chris, let me ask you and any of the liberals here. Was she right to use the filibuster?

I said earlier in the thread, if a politican feels so strongly about something that they are willing to stand up and talk about it for 13 hours without pause for food or bathroom breaks, than I'm fine with their use of the filibuster.

Of registered voters, 63 percent say the state has enough restrictions on abortion and 71 percent thinking that the Governor and legislature should be more focused on the economy and jobs. A majority opposes the sort of legislation passed by the state Senate and being considered by the state House during this legislative Special Session, believing that it imposes further restrictions on abortion. Overall, only 34 percent trust the Governor and the legislature to make decisions about women's healthcare.

Second point. Yes the Anti-Choice folks here in Texas are in the minority........

I didn't even think to question if the majority of Texans were in favor of the bill.

If it's legal to do, sure...why not?

If it's legal to do, sure...why not?

There seems to be a lot of whining from the left when republican seneators like rand paul or others do it. they call it obstructionism.

I didn't even think to question if the majority of Texans were in favor of the bill.

That's because you don't care. You believe in strong-arming the opposition, so whether the opposition is minority or majority is irrelevant.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum List

Back