The $100/hr. Minimum Wage idea I presented isn't popular?

I could not live on $2.10 an hour but it provided what Conservatives always claims is the purpose of minimum wage...A Starter Wage

On $2.10 an hour, I could get started in life by paying my college tuition without going into debt. I could buy a car to get to work and pay for gas in that car.

You can't do that on todays $7.25 wage

Well, no you couldn't pay your college costs... we had to institute the student loan program to help you do that... remember?

And why are you now arguing the Conservative argument about the MW being a "starter wage" and abandoning your argument for a "living wage?"

I am arguing that for 82 years, liberal democrats have promised a minimum wage which provided a decent living... it's time to deliver on your promise and implement my idea of a $100/hr. MW. That solves the problem for everyone and everyone is happy, right?

You're not giving me a good reason why we shouldn't do this. If the principles behind your idea of a $15 MW are sound, then a $100 MW should be too. It's just a number. What are you so afraid of?

Are you concerned that we might actually solve the problem and you won't have anything to complain about anymore?

If minimum wage had kept pace with inflation, those student loans would not be necessary. I didn't need one and I only made $2.10 an hour
Pay kids $10 to $15 an hour and they would not need all that college debt

I would be content with just a "Starter Wage" right now. $7.25 is not that wage
Give workers a wage they can get started in life with ....pay for college, basic transportation

Your $100 theme on this thread is just nonsense and does nothing to negate the fact that we need a $10-$15 wage just to provide the buying power that was available to workers thirty years ago

Uhm... I can show you how to eat for a week on $7.25. You'd be very surprised what resourceful people can do when they have to.

And hey... I WANT to give workers a wage they can get started in life with...pay for college and basic transportation. You think it's nonsense. You'd rather shackle those same people with a measly $15/hr. which won't buy jack shit once the inflation happens which ultimately results. This is what has been happening the past 82 years with the MW... where have you been?

30 years ago, the technology found in an iPhone would have cost you several million dollars. I'm merely suggesting $100/hr.

And what's the deal with gas-guzzling evil internal combustion machines that destroy the environment and make oil companies richer? Why do you want people to be able to afford more of that? With my $100/hr. plan, you could by an electric car! Hell, you could have a whole fleet of them if you wanted.

Your OP of $100 wage is simplistic nonsense...Um...why not make the wage $100 then?
It does not help you make your point

Why do you keep beating a dead horse?

Wages are not based upon what you can buy, but on what the work is worth.

Flipping the fry bin is not a career move. If you want to buy more stuff, improve your skills and yourself. Then you will be due increased wages.

Actually, they are based on supply and demand

That is why we need a minimum wage

Boss is obviously daring folks to be honest and admit there are limits to a minimum wage, why there are limits, and (if they're bold enough) to have an honest conversation about wage equilibrium and how it might be found.

So far, no takers, just deflection. Not terribly surprising. Not because it would be impossible, but because people just don't want to give an inch. That would be too honest. And we SURE as hell can't have THAT.

There are too many people running around right now whose first impulse is to be intellectually dishonest.
That is the real point, and the one that MW increasers don't want to address, because to address it means to admit that increasing the MW DOES negatively impact jobs, and the bigger the increase, the bigger the impact. The only way a MW increase does not have much of a negative impact is if it is small enough to not make much of a difference.

Wages are not based upon what you can buy, but on what the work is worth.

Flipping the fry bin is not a career move. If you want to buy more stuff, improve your skills and yourself. Then you will be due increased wages.

Actually, they are based on supply and demand

See the first sentence.

The work may be worth a lot, but if there is an oversupply of people to the work, the wages will be low

Boss is obviously daring folks to be honest and admit there are limits to a minimum wage, why there are limits, and (if they're bold enough) to have an honest conversation about wage equilibrium and how it might be found.

So far, no takers, just deflection. Not terribly surprising. Not because it would be impossible, but because people just don't want to give an inch. That would be too honest. And we SURE as hell can't have THAT.

There are too many people running around right now whose first impulse is to be intellectually dishonest.
That is the real point, and the one that MW increasers don't want to address, because to address it means to admit that increasing the MW DOES negatively impact jobs, and the bigger the increase, the bigger the impact. The only way a MW increase does not have much of a negative impact is if it is small enough to not make much of a difference.
Maybe that is why all the places that are implementing MW are spreading it out over a few years.

Maybe that is why all the places that are implementing MW are spreading it out over a few years.
Yeah, I saw a study that said that increasing it too quickly would be even more dangerous than the final level to which it's increased.

Yeah, I saw a study that said that increasing it too quickly would be even more dangerous than the final level to which it's increased.
Seems logical that you can jack the price of a burger up fifty cents per year without to much complaining, but if you jack the price of a dollar fifty all at once you will probably loose some business as you get lots of complaints.

The other thing the MW increasers don't want to talk about is the ripple effect. 62% of America's workers earn $20/hour or less. Everyone of those workers will demand a raise as well if we bump the minimum to $15. That's an effect that can't be ignored.

MW DOES negatively impact jobs, and the bigger the increase, the bigger the impact. .
yes it impacts jobs by decreasing the number of them but it also raises prices which impoverishes us and reduces demand. McDonald's can switch to machines fairly easily as it weighs the values of capital and labor every day.

More importantly, the liberal lacks the IQ to understand freedom and capitalism so wants the MW and also 1000 other interventions!!.

$100 an hour is too high

$10-$15 an hour is more justified

I could not live on $2.10 an hour but it provided what Conservatives always claims is the purpose of minimum wage...A Starter Wage

On $2.10 an hour, I could get started in life by paying my college tuition without going into debt. I could buy a car to get to work and pay for gas in that car.

Well, no you couldn't pay your college costs... we had to institute the student loan program to help you do that... remember?

And why are you now arguing the Conservative argument about the MW being a "starter wage" and abandoning your argument for a "living wage?"

I am arguing that for 82 years, liberal democrats have promised a minimum wage which provided a decent living... it's time to deliver on your promise and implement my idea of a $100/hr. MW. That solves the problem for everyone and everyone is happy, right?

You're not giving me a good reason why we shouldn't do this. If the principles behind your idea of a $15 MW are sound, then a $100 MW should be too. It's just a number. What are you so afraid of?

Are you concerned that we might actually solve the problem and you won't have anything to complain about anymore?

If minimum wage had kept pace with inflation, those student loans would not be necessary. I didn't need one and I only made $2.10 an hour

Give workers a wage they can get started in life with ....pay for college, basic transportation

Your $100 theme on this thread is just nonsense and does nothing to negate the fact that we need a $10-$15 wage just to provide the buying power that was available to workers thirty years ago

So where is all these magical company's going to come from?

What world do you live in?

Oh yea you live in a world of pixie dust, unicorns and fairys.

why nonsense?? why not not help everybody with a 100% raise for all Americans?

why nonsense?? why not not help everybody with a 100% raise for all Americans?

and why not lower all prices by 50% since those corps are making record profits?

The other thing the MW increasers don't want to talk about is the ripple effect. 62% of America's workers earn $20/hour or less. Everyone of those workers will demand a raise as well if we bump the minimum to $15. That's an effect that can't be ignored.
I'm willing to talk about it

Long overdue

Long overdue

is a liberal willing to talk about all 1000 interventions in the economy he wants because he lacks the IQ to understand how capitalism works too.

$100 an hour is too high

$10-$15 an hour is more justified

So where is all these magical company's going to come from?

What world do you live in?

Oh yea you live in a world of pixie dust, unicorns and fairys.
Those magical companies used to be all over the place. They paid a wage workers could get started on and offered a path up where you could do better in life

But they learned that if you kept workers hungry and made sure there were plenty of workers who were willing to take their jobs, you could pay anything you want

The result is the wage structure has not kept up with the cost of living.

Unless the government stands up for those who cannot stand up for themselves.......the current workforce structure will continue

Long overdue

is a liberal willing to talk about all 1000 interventions in the economy he wants because he lacks the IQ to understand how capitalism works too.
I understand quite well how capitalism works
It requires a balance between free market and government

Otherwise, you get an extreme imbalance between the haves and the have nots

Long overdue

I understand quite well how capitalism works
It requires a balance between free market and government

Otherwise, you get an extreme imbalance between the haves and the have nots

100 stupid of course. You've learned 145 times that we have huge imbalance now thanks to govt interference like inviting in 30 million illegals to take our jobs and bid down wages at the bottom, and like having the highest taxes in the world!!!!

Is the perfect idiot liberal going for 146 times?

I think I have proposed it in a couple of threads already but in case you missed it. I argue that we should forget about this paltry $15 crap and raise the national minimum wage to a REAL living wage of $100/hr. But the thing is, as soon as I said it... the liberals clamoring for $15 hr. minimum wage began to ridicule my suggestion and claim I wasn't being "serious" about it. I'm totally serious... to heck with all this constant and perpetual complaining, let's do something to end this whinefest once and for all!

I mean... For 82 years, since FDR introduced us to the MW, it has been promised this will deliver a decent living wage for all Americans. Each time it has been raised, the promise is again renewed. If only we can raise it a little more.... it's always the same tune. So I say we go ahead and raise the minimum wage to $100/hr. so that everyone in America will be making a decent living wage. What's wrong with my idea?

The only reason I keep being given is "that's just not reasonable" but no real explanation as to why? I think it's very reasonable... look at all these CEOs making millions... look at all these corporations with record profits... look at all these 1% people in their mansions and yachts... surely we can afford to pay lowly "workers" a decent wage! Come on, where is your Communist spirit, liberals? Why would you prefer to waste your time fighting for a measly $15 when you could have $100? All the camping out and shitting on cop cars for such a small increase seems sort of dumb when you can go for something meaningful like a $100/hr. minimum wage! I just don't understand why you're not on board with my plan.

I've really tried to figure out why the left is so opposed to my idea. Is it because such an increase would actually solve the wage disparity problem and there wouldn't be a need for their perpetual activism anymore? Man, it's really gonna suck whenever we reach Utopia and you guys don't have anything to protest for anymore, isn't it? What in the world will you do with all that time? I guess if it were me, I would be scared of such ideas because it might render my life meaningless... nothing to fight for anymore, no more crusade to join... such a boring life!

Just take a minute and imagine it... All we have to do is elect enough politicians who will simply pass a law! Once we've set the new $100/hr. MW, well... the greedy rich bastard capitalists will just have to fork over the loot man! What choice do they have, right? Guess they'll just have to give up those profits and high-paid CEOs! They'll figure it out, they always do! Anywayz... what does it matter if you're knocking down the big bucks? You'll be rolling with fat stacks! Who cares if it puts some greedy rich old white bastard out of business? Maybe they NEED to be out of business? If they can't afford a decent living wage, they shouldn't be allowed to exist, right? I mean... that IS what FDR said 82 years ago.
If people cannot live on what they are paid working for someone else. I'd say the someone else is either not taking care of their workforce or their work force is subsidized by all the other taxpayers. Then again you have to look at a larger picture when you are talking wages throughout the entire country. Local taxes, municipalities and government employee retirement and benefit costs per each area.

You may find this piece interesting it was passed on to me today from a small farming operator that holds a little farmers market each week for people can buy from the growers in Florida. We only have a few neighbors who actually grow their own food still, are not subsidized and are not highly sold out to big Agra and the banking industry.

Timeline Photos - Good Neighbors Farmers Market | Facebook

FOOD FOR THOUGHT:
Today at Good Neighbors I was approached by a woman telling me how offended she was that we ask that she pay $2 in order to come to our farmers market. She was clearly very angry and very aggressive in her comments holding nothing back. She said that she has lived all over the United States and has never before been asked to pay a dime and that we are the only Market in Central Florida that asks for money. I let her know that I did understand where she was coming from and tried to explain that it takes a great deal of effort to put on such a weekly event and that we spend over $2500 a week in payroll in order to do so. I tried to explain that we are not a city funded market and that each and every dollar that comes into the farm goes to run the farm. I tried to explain that when we average 30 vendors during the summer and we charge 25 dollars per vendor, that we only take in 750 dollars a week. I tried to explain that 750 dollars a week doesn't even come close to covering payroll much less anything else on the farm. When I tried to explain that other markets take place on city property with the city paying for maintenance, taxes, insurance, labor, etc, etc, she then, almost violently yelled out, “WELL DO IT SOME WHERE ELSE THEN”, to which I didn't quite understand what she meant and had no response for; when suddenly my Nephew replied in my stead, “well we can do that, where is this free land your talking about”. The women then replied angrily that we “are stealing from people and from farmers by making people pay $2”. To this I politely replied, “Well if we don't have enough money to pay for expenses, how are we to put on a farmers market in the first place”. I asked her, “who is to mow, who is to mulch, who is to feed the animals, who is to trim the trees, repair the fences, fix the tractors, etc, etc, etc,”. I then asked her if she had a job. She replied quite proudly that she did and she has held her job for 28 years as an anesthesiologist. I asked her if she works for free or does she charge for her anesthesiology services; to which she said “YES OF COURSE I CHARGE PEOPLE”. This is the part of the story that takes a turn for the worse and really underlines the problem with peoples perceptions of farmers in today's culture. She said she went to school for her job and “deserves” to get paid for her services; she then said very loudly “IT DOESN'T TAKE AN EDUCATION TO THROW DOWN A BIT OF MULCH AND MOW A LITTLE GRASS, THERE'S NO REASON YOU HAVE TO CHARGE $2”. This is the part that hit home the most. I have often heard fellow farmers and ranchers refer to themselves as “just a dumb farmer”; of which I didn't quite understand what they meant, as I know it takes a great deal of brains, common sense and intelligence to run a successful farming operation of any kind. Today I finally got what they were trying to say. Through experience, they understood that people looked at farmers as being dumb. We as a society, wonder why there are fewer and fewer farmers around. Its because the public in general doesn't value their services enough to care about them. How can someone understand why $2 needs to be collected when they consider the person asking for it to be worthless and ignorant. Would this lady have said, “it doesn't take an education to pick an ear of corn, or to pick a head of lettuce” in the same way she dismissed someones work in mending a fence or shearing a goats hooves? Probably. What the lady failed to understand today is that if it wasn't for a farmer somewhere on planet earth, she wouldn't be alive. The irony of her remarks is that she is putting her life in the hands of someone she considers dumber than herself. Farmers can survive on their knowledge, the question she should be asking herself is can she survive on her knowledge. I sure hope for Americas sake that these type people we call neighbors, are able to rethink their positions on who is valuable and who is not, before it's too late. Nothing in this world is free, that includes your choice of what you eat. If this means something to you, please share it.
Sincerely, Just a dumb farmer.

Forum List

Back