The Bible is true

Thats another thing I cant figure out. Why would god make his messages contradictory if he/she wanted people to follow them. Makes for a lot of confusion since everyone is not in the Mensa society.

Let's take one contradiction and discuss that one. What do you see as perhaps the biggest contradiction?

I've tried that already with Guno. Asked him to pick one or two arguments against the truth of the bible so we could discuss. He chose to ignore that.

Thats another thing I cant figure out. Why would god make his messages contradictory if he/she wanted people to follow them. Makes for a lot of confusion since everyone is not in the Mensa society.

Let's take one contradiction and discuss that one. What do you see as perhaps the biggest contradiction?

I've tried that already with Guno. Asked him to pick one or two arguments against the truth of the bible so we could discuss. He chose to ignore that.
I addressed it, are you to scared to engage in the discussion with me?

I think the world would do just fine to keep the page with the 10 Commandments and toss the rest.

Some people can easily obey the 10 Commandments, because some people are just good by nature, but that won't help them to know God and realize their whole purpose for being.

PSA 145:9 The LORD is good to all: and his tender mercies are over all his works.

JER 13:14 And I will dash them one against another, even the fathers and the sons together, saith the LORD: I will not pity, nor spare, nor have mercy, but d

The context is entirely different. Jeremiah is warning a disobedient people of the coming consequences. The Psalmist is praising God.

We do not consider a parent who bakes a child a birthday cake on one day and sends him to his room on another a contradictory parent. Instead, we see a parent celebrating a birth--and a parent disciplining the child. In the same way, one prophet warning of consequences for ignoring the ways of God, and another prophet pointing out the love God has for us is not something I see as contradictory. Help me out.

I think the world would do just fine to keep the page with the 10 Commandments and toss the rest.

Some people can easily obey the 10 Commandments, because some people are just good by nature, but that won't help them to know God and realize their whole purpose for being.
The bible can't possibly help people to realize their whole purpose for being. Between the thousands of arbitrary rules and no explanation beyond "God says so" all the bible for somebody is demand obedience.

PSA 145:9 The LORD is good to all: and his tender mercies are over all his works.

JER 13:14 And I will dash them one against another, even the fathers and the sons together, saith the LORD: I will not pity, nor spare, nor have mercy, but d

The context is entirely different. Jeremiah is warning a disobedient people of the coming consequences. The Psalmist is praising God.

We do not consider a parent who bakes a child a birthday cake on one day and sends him to his room on another a contradictory parent. Instead, we see a parent celebrating a birth--and a parent disciplining the child. In the same way, one prophet warning of consequences for ignoring the ways of God, and another prophet pointing out the love God has for us is not something I see as contradictory. Help me out.
They still are contradictory
Psalms 145:9 says God is good to all. It doesn't make any stipulations. Other places in the bible make stipulations so one or the other is wrong. All is absolute there can be no exceptions to absolute.

Please approach this logically. If I said all houses are mustangs, but then said except for palominos my first attachment would be contradicted.

I understand if you are Christian and are part of a sect that demands you to believe the entire bible is the absolute word of God, I hold no contempt for you. But if you cannot separate your belief from this I'm afraid this is a pointless discussion.

A common mistake is thinking what is obvious to us is equally as obvious to someone else. Why should we have to explain something as clear as the nose on a face? That we even have to ask may be taken by another as a sure sign we are complete idiots.

Like you, I would be interested if people could say something to the effect of, I see Book:Chapter:Verse as false because ______________. For example, "I see Numbers 22:21-39 as a falsehood because donkeys cannot speak."

Really, it's no more contradictory than the concept of a vengeful loving god.

Anyone who can believe two opposing things at the same time will have no trouble.

A common mistake is thinking what is obvious to us is equally as obvious to someone else. Why should we have to explain something as clear as the nose on a face? That we even have to ask may be taken by another as a sure sign we are complete idiots.

Like you, I would be interested if people could say something to the effect of, I see Book:Chapter:Verse as false because ______________. For example, "I see Numbers 22:21-39 as a falsehood because donkeys cannot speak."
thank you. you are a breath of fresh air in this discussion.

I am a christianbut lately I have found my Christian brothers to be hateful spiteful bigoted little people. but I also understand that some are not and you are an example of that thank you for posting this.

God is good to all......he doesn't keep the sunshine from some, or the rain. I think some people consider hardships in their lives as God not being good to them.....and yet many of these same people that think this way do not even believe or consider that there is a God.

JER 13:14 And I will dash them one against another, even the fathers and the sons together, saith the LORD: I will not pity, nor spare, nor have mercy,

How is this contradictory? Here God was talking to one of his Prophets, about what to tell the people that were not obeying, believing.

God is good to all, but his word is very clear. Unbelievers will not live with Him forever in Heaven. And why should they? They choose not to believe, not to obey.

Jeremiah 13: 8 - Then the word of the Lord came to me: 9 “This is what the Lord says: ‘In the same way I will ruin the pride of Judah and the great pride of Jerusalem. 10 These wicked people, who refuse to listen to my words, who follow the stubbornness of their hearts and go after other gods to serve and worship them, will be like this belt—completely useless!

Psalms 145:9 says God is good to all. It doesn't make any stipulations. Other places in the bible make stipulations so one or the other is wrong. All is absolute there can be no exceptions to absolute.

Please approach this logically. If I said all houses are mustangs, but then said except for palominos my first attachment would be contradicted.

I understand if you are Christian and are part of a sect that demands you to believe the entire bible is the absolute word of God, I hold no contempt for you. But if you cannot separate your belief from this I'm afraid this is a pointless discussion.

The Bible is a collection of books. This collection includes history, poetry, and literature. What we are comparing is a book of poetry to a book of history, and you seem to be saying, "Look, the book of poetry contradicts the history book."

A second misconception you may have is that not all Christian sects teach that every word of the Bible is literally true. I have gone to many Catholic Bible studies, and usually the first thing we discuss is the purpose of the author of that particular book--and who his audience was. We discuss, What was the author trying to teach his audience?

Psalms is teaching us that God loves all of His creation and cares for us--even during very dark times. Jeremiah was exhorting a people to obey God and return to His ways, else their conduct would bring evil down among them.

You see, I am trying to approach this logically. And logically, I don't take a book of poetry and use it to disprove history--especially not when one was written many years before the other.

God is good to all......he doesn't keep the sunshine from some, or the rain. I think some people consider hardships in their lives as God not being good to them.....and yet many of these same people that think this way do not even believe or consider that there is a God.

JER 13:14 And I will dash them one against another, even the fathers and the sons together, saith the LORD: I will not pity, nor spare, nor have mercy,

How is this contradictory? Here God was talking to one of his Prophets, about what to tell the people that were not obeying, believing.

God is good to all, but his word is very clear. Unbelievers will not live with Him forever in Heaven. And why should they? They choose not to believe, not to obey.

Jeremiah 13: 8 - Then the word of the Lord came to me: 9 “This is what the Lord says: ‘In the same way I will ruin the pride of Judah and the great pride of Jerusalem. 10 These wicked people, who refuse to listen to my words, who follow the stubbornness of their hearts and go after other gods to serve and worship them, will be like this belt—completely useless!
he is good to all except for...

That is contradictory. You explain how it isn't.

The bible can't possibly help people to realize their whole purpose for being. Between the thousands of arbitrary rules and no explanation beyond "God says so" all the bible for somebody is demand obedience.

Yes it can. There are no "thousands of arbitrary rules". Their is but one rule, and it is for us to believe that Jesus is the Son of God, that is it. Once you believe that Jesus is the Son of God, His work is to mold you into his likeness.....the more you study His word, the quicker you will want and be like Him....you won't have to know rules because His Holy Spirit will live inside of you and guide you in His ways. You will know what your purpose in life will be, to follow Him and live for Him. Everything falls into place after that. The problem is that people who haven't experienced it don't believe it can happen.

The Bible is a collection of books. This collection includes history, poetry, and literature. What we are comparing is a book of poetry to a book of history, and you [Inevitable] seem to be saying, "Look, the book of poetry contradicts the history book."
Is that your agreement that the two do contradict each other?

But God is good to all. He created the earth for everyone.....if everyone believed in God, He wouldn't have had to order admonitions as he did to those wicked people that are being referenced in Jeremiah 13.

You are wanting to hold God to one statement without regard to other statements He has made. Yet, God is still good to everyone. Unbelievers are able to acquire wealth, have good health, fall in love, have children, own homes, travel safely, just like believers etc., etc., but, they won't have the privilege of living with Him forever.

The Bible is a collection of books. This collection includes history, poetry, and literature. What we are comparing is a book of poetry to a book of history, and you seem to be saying, "Look, the book of poetry contradicts the history book."

A second misconception you may have is that not all Christian sects teach that every word of the Bible is literally true. I have gone to many Catholic Bible studies, and usually the first thing we discuss is the purpose of the author of that particular book--and who his audience was. We discuss, What was the author trying to teach his audience?

Psalms is teaching us that God loves all of His creation and cares for us--even during very dark times. Jeremiah was exhorting a people to obey God and return to His ways, else their conduct would bring evil down among them.

You see, I am trying to approach this logically. And logically, I don't take a book of poetry and use it to disprove history--especially not when one was written many years before the other.
Okay, I believe you are trying to approach this logically. I apologize for every insinuating that you weren't.

I never said once that the bible contradicts history. I believe it is poetry and therefore at times it is ambiguous and open to interpretation. In the case of the psalms passage for instance.

But I am confused, what historical event or truth did I mention?

Being that the bible is poetry and therefore ambiguous and open to interpretation, I believe it is a useful tool in finding truth but not "true" in the strictest meaning of the word.

thank you. you are a breath of fresh air in this discussion.

I am a christianbut lately I have found my Christian brothers to be hateful spiteful bigoted little people. but I also understand that some are not and you are an example of that thank you for posting this.

In turn, I thank you for your kind words. I think many of us truly enjoy discussing religion and ethics--but that looking at a computer screen instead of a group of actual people can have us treating a computer screen much differently than we would ever treat an actual person. I make an effort to picture a person with feelings behind each post. We're not commanded to love a post as we love ourselves, but I think loving each poster as we do ourselves comes within the jurisdiction of the second greatest commandment. :wink:

he is good to all except for...

That is contradictory. You explain how it isn't.

I believe I explained it in another post to you.....He is good to all. Unbelievers as well as believers partake of the many good things that God has provided. You can't say that God denies an unbeliever the sun, or the rain, the ability to love, to work, etc....How is He not being good to all?

But God is good to all. He created the earth for everyone.....if everyone believed in God, He wouldn't have had to order admonitions as he did to those wicked people that are being referenced in Jeremiah 13.

You are wanting to hold God to one statement without regard to other statements He has made. Yet, God is still good to everyone. Unbelievers are able to acquire wealth, have good health, fall in love, have children, own homes, travel safely, just like believers etc., etc., but, they won't have the privilege of living with Him forever.
I don't believe God made any statements in the Bible. I believe it is man's word.

Forum List

Back