The Good News about Trump

Never3ndr

Silver Member
Feb 29, 2016
Everybody in an older generation knows that young people really search for a reason to rebel and fight for what they think is right. We see this anywhere from Vietnam protests up through our modern age Occupy and BLM movements. This generation of youths have seemingly searched further and further for some sort of unifying point to fight against. It has gotten so absurd and extreme that we see youths crying foul over things like Halloween costumes and microaggressions.

Fortunately, Trump has arisen out of the ashes of an America that is largely devoid of serious problems. The economy is recovering, we enjoy more freedoms and better standards of living than most of the world, and our higher educational system is arguably the best. Trump has been able to serve as a unifying point to fight against, a common enemy of basic decency. Here, we see many youthful Americans that are taking a stance against the largely middle-aged or elderly support base surrounding Trump. For being openly xenophobic and displaying anywhere from toxic to disgraceful personality traits from what is generally expected in a Presidential candidate, perhaps we should be thanking Trump rather than damning him since he is so obviously evil and is an easy figure to target for today's youth.

That's not a crazy premise.

I believe that today's young people ( especially those on college campuses ) who are being labeled as "sensitive" or "politically correct" are simply reacting to the entirely ineffective manner in which their parents and grandparents have conducted business.

They see the total inability of their elders to get along.....to work together....and choose to try another path. That path, I believe, consists of greater empathy for others and less tolerance for assholery in general.

So....they come down hard on people being assholes and trying to divide based on race, gender, sexual orientation, etc.

Whaddya think?

I believe that today's young people ( especially those on college campuses ) who are being labeled as "sensitive" or "politically correct" are simply reacting to the entirely ineffective manner in which their parents and grandparents have conducted business.

They see the total inability of their elders to get along.....to work together....and choose to try another path. That path, I believe, consists of greater empathy for others and less tolerance for assholery in general.

So....they come down hard on people being assholes and trying to divide based on race, gender, sexual orientation, etc.

Whaddya think?
I mean, I remember when I was young, so I can understand where they are coming from. They believe that if you shut down offensive language / actions then you must shut down those feelings. However, as I've aged, I've found that suppressing language / actions does not always have an effect of suppressing feelings. Personally, I'm a fan of open discourse which allows people to voice their opinions and actually address biases that may or may not be held.

Relating to the topic, I think that today's youth is hyper-sensitive, which, while well-intended, I feel is a bad thing. That is why it is good that Trump can provide a relatively non-controversial figure to unify against. Many Americans recognize him as toxic, the world (outside of Putin) recognizes him as toxic...its a good figure to rally against, I'm glad they are rallying against him rather than against people in Halloween costumes.

Whaddya think?
I mean, I remember when I was young, so I can understand where they are coming from. They believe that if you shut down offensive language / actions then you must shut down those feelings. However, as I've aged, I've found that suppressing language / actions does not always have an effect of suppressing feelings. Personally, I'm a fan of open discourse which allows people to voice their opinions and actually address biases that may or may not be held.

Relating to the topic, I think that today's youth is hyper-sensitive, which, while well-intended, I feel is a bad thing. That is why it is good that Trump can provide a relatively non-controversial figure to unify against. Many Americans recognize him as toxic, the world (outside of Putin) recognizes him as toxic...its a good figure to rally against, I'm glad they are rallying against him rather than against people in Halloween costumes.

Hmmmmm. If they....like you....are able to recognize that he is toxic, how bad can they be? Are those who support him the polar opposite of hyper-sensitive? What's the word for that?

My daughter is 19 and, I am pleased to say, tough as nails. She will stand up to the biggest asshole in the room if that asshole is bullying another kid. She's got no time for assholes. At the same time, she is on her own... far away from home.....since weeks after she graduated HS. She isn't weak nor rendered incapable by her sensitivity to the feelings of others. It strengthens her.

Funny, huh?

good grief, all them words just to say you hate Trump. that isn't open discourse when they are invading events people have planned to attend for some time, some drove miles to attend it, stood in line for hours, just to have these little kiddie mixed with thugs only thinking of themselves and set out to try to shut it down? If my child was there doing that, I'd kick their ass.

Don't blame older people in general. My parents, 88, were teenagers in Nazi-occupied Belgium and recognize a dangerous blowhard when they see one. My mother in particular keeps saying how embarrassing it would be to have Trump as president. She's totally outraged by his disrespectful bully-boy tactics.

Hmmmmm. If they....like you....are able to recognize that he is toxic, how bad can they be? Are those who support him the polar opposite of hyper-sensitive? What's the word for that?

My daughter is 19 and, I am pleased to say, tough as nails. She will stand up to the biggest asshole in the room if that asshole is bullying another kid. She's got no time for assholes. At the same time, she is on her own... far away from home.....since weeks after she graduated HS. She isn't weak nor rendered incapable by her sensitivity to the feelings of others. It strengthens her.

Funny, huh?
Perhaps you are unfamiliar with the attacks on our freedom of speech and expression that have been carried out by the youth across college campuses. I'll post a link to perhaps the best article out currently on the subject:

How Trigger Warnings Are Hurting Mental Health on Campus

Also, you are confusing hyper-sensitivity with being "weak". I never said that the kids weren't tough and wouldn't stand up for what they believed in...in fact, I believe my entire point was that that was exactly what they were doing right now. To be clear they are not "weak", in fact, some of their attacks and defenses are so aggressive as to be virulent. However, as I've stated, they have been lacking a clear evil from which to unify around. Lacking this one clear goal, they have been "hyper-sensitive" in the fact that they are looking for any reason, small or large, to engage in some sort of conflict or cause to fight for...they are not "hyper-sensitive" in the understanding of being "weak". I apologize if my language led you to believe that.

America still has a majority of Americans who believe in decency.

Trump will fail.

There is no bigger collection of sled centered turds than a college campus .

They all want to leave their mark like its the 60s.

The op is right. First world problems!

You might want to teach your children about this. I just posted it in a new thread but think its fitting for here. I didn't know about it, but your dear leader signed it.

SNIP:
It Is ILLEGAL To Protest At Campaign Rallies (H.R. 347, Signed by Obama Feb. 2012)
GovTrack.US ^ | 3/13/2016 |

Posted on ‎3‎/‎13‎/‎2016‎ ‎2‎:‎49‎:‎36‎ ‎PM b

According to H.R. 347 (signed into law by Barack Hussein Obama in February, 2012) it is ILLEGAL under CURRENT FEDERAL to protest of any type, in an area under protection by the U.S. Secret Service.
Because Donald Trump is under Secret Service Protection (as is Hillary Clinton, Bernie Sanders) and has been since November of 2015, it is a FEDERAL CRIME to protest at campaign rallies, and is in fact, punishable by imprisonment.
Free Speech isn't covered at ANY Trump, Clinton, Sanders (or Cruz, Rubio, Kasich) rally because protests are considered to be "knowingly impeding or disrupting the orderly conduct of an official Federal function."
Until Donald Trump's Secret Service protection is revoked, Trump can legally kick protesters out of his rallies no matter what they do.
Link to H.R. 347 As Signed by President Barack Hussein Obama: Text of H.R. 347 (112th): Federal Restricted Buildings and Grounds Improvement Act of 2011 (Passed Congress/Enrolled Bill version) - GovTrack.us
Read it and weep, libs. Your "President" signed it. He did it to protect himself at his own rallies in 2012. Now it comes back to haunt the Democrats and they don't like it.

It Is ILLEGAL To Protest At Campaign Rallies (H.R. 347, Signed by Obama Feb. 2012)

Then, Steph, step down your fascist brown shirt resistance and let the LEO handle it.

Funny, huh?
Perhaps you are unfamiliar with the attacks on our freedom of speech and expression that have been carried out by the youth across college campuses. I'll post a link to perhaps the best article out currently on the subject:

How Trigger Warnings Are Hurting Mental Health on Campus

Also, you are confusing hyper-sensitivity with being "weak". I never said that the kids weren't tough and wouldn't stand up for what they believed in...in fact, I believe my entire point was that that was exactly what they were doing right now. To be clear they are not "weak", in fact, some of their attacks and defenses are so aggressive as to be virulent. However, as I've stated, they have been lacking a clear evil from which to unify around. Lacking this one clear goal, they have been "hyper-sensitive" in the fact that they are looking for any reason, small or large, to engage in some sort of conflict or cause to fight for...they are not "hyper-sensitive" in the understanding of being "weak". I apologize if my language led you to believe that.

I love that link. It has become like the bible for those who think young people are a bunch of pussies. If you had to guess.....on a typical college campus.....what percentage of students that you'd encounter on the quad on a Friday afternoon would consider themselves concerned about trigger warnings?

Everybody in an older generation knows that young people really search for a reason to rebel and fight for what they think is right. We see this anywhere from Vietnam protests up through our modern age Occupy and BLM movements. This generation of youths have seemingly searched further and further for some sort of unifying point to fight against. It has gotten so absurd and extreme that we see youths crying foul over things like Halloween costumes and microaggressions.

Fortunately, Trump has arisen out of the ashes of an America that is largely devoid of serious problems. The economy is recovering, we enjoy more freedoms and better standards of living than most of the world, and our higher educational system is arguably the best. Trump has been able to serve as a unifying point to fight against, a common enemy of basic decency. Here, we see many youthful Americans that are taking a stance against the largely middle-aged or elderly support base surrounding Trump. For being openly xenophobic and displaying anywhere from toxic to disgraceful personality traits from what is generally expected in a Presidential candidate, perhaps we should be thanking Trump rather than damning him since he is so obviously evil and is an easy figure to target for today's youth.

Our generation started the big violent protests, against Vietnam, Free Speech,Civil Rights.....if these marches were gentle , no one would remember them, nor would things have changed.

1960s Berkeley protests - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Protests against the Vietnam War - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The Birmingham Campaign | Civil Rights Movement | Black History | PBS

I love that link. It has become like the bible for those who think young people are a bunch of pussies. If you had to guess.....on a typical college campus.....what percentage of students that you'd encounter on the quad on a Friday afternoon would consider themselves concerned about trigger warnings?
Again, you are conflating my actual point with what you think my point is. I'm not saying that young people are "pussies". I think that many of them are searching for a cause to fight for...this has literally been my point the entire time.

As far as the % of students that are worrying about such silliness...my postulation would be that it varies depending on the type of college you attend. In lower level, technical, or regional colleges, I doubt if there would be a noticeable portion of the student population that worries about such things. However, at the more elite or liberal arts focused colleges (Yale, Davidson, Oberlin have all noted problems with such issues), I think that there may be an alarming portion of the student population worried about such things. However, if we view things across the board, as evidenced here:

http://www.heri.ucla.edu/monographs/TheAmericanFreshman2015.pdf

It appears that interest in activism, broadly is increasing, so, perhaps even in the lower level colleges that we don't hear much about student organizations and protests will start showing more activism.

Our generation started the big violent protests, against Vietnam, Free Speech,Civil Rights.....if these marches were gentle , no one would remember them, nor would things have changed.

I'm not doubting the effectiveness of some of those protests. In fact, given how blatantly evil Trump is, I feel like we may start to see today's youth emulate those protests against such a damnable figure.

To be clear, however, I'm more a fan of non-violent protests such as those led by Dr. King rather than some of the outright riots that we have had in the past.

While philosophising about the Trump phenomena can be amusing, I prefer to keep it simple. Trump is simply a narcissistic, obnoxious, spoiled, asshole, supported by a relative large number of hateful, poorly educated, bigoted, racist, and admiring wannabe assholes.

Again, you are conflating my actual point with what you think my point is. I'm not saying that young people are "pussies". I think that many of them are searching for a cause to fight for...this has literally been my point the entire time.

As far as the % of students that are worrying about such silliness...my postulation would be that it varies depending on the type of college you attend. In lower level, technical, or regional colleges, I doubt if there would be a noticeable portion of the student population that worries about such things. However, at the more elite or liberal arts focused colleges (Yale, Davidson, Oberlin have all noted problems with such issues), I think that there may be an alarming portion of the student population worried about such things. However, if we view things across the board, as evidenced here:

http://www.heri.ucla.edu/monographs/TheAmericanFreshman2015.pdf

It appears that interest in activism, broadly is increasing, so, perhaps even in the lower level colleges that we don't hear much about student organizations and protests will start showing more activism.

I am following you. I get that you don't think our young people are weak. I grasp that you think they have just been "rebels without a cause" But...you used the same source material that people who make that "coddled weakling" argument use. I just thought I'd point that out.

I believe that college students are not...as a group....hyper sensitive. Some are....and they have made their voices heard on "the internets". That's the only difference between today's youth and those of past generations. Social media access.

I'm not doubting the effectiveness of some of those protests. In fact, given how blatantly evil Trump is, I feel like we may start to see today's youth emulate those protests against such a damnable figure.

To be clear, however, I'm more a fan of non-violent protests such as those led by Dr. King rather than some of the outright riots that we have had in the past.

I marched in the San Francisco protest over Wall Street 9 years ago..it was a very peaceful walk and in the afternoon some thugs made it violent to discredit the cause. People walk away from the cause when there is violence.

Next march that you see watch it change into a violent rage by the end...it seems to happen all of the time.

Paid disruptions in my opinion.

good grief, all them words just to say you hate Trump. that isn't open discourse when they are invading events people have planned to attend for some time, some drove miles to attend it, stood in line for hours, just to have these little kiddie mixed with thugs only thinking of themselves and set out to try to shut it down? If my child was there doing that, I'd kick their ass.

You have a way with words, Staph.

Forum List

Back