The second nurse airlifted to Emory you aren't going to believe your eyes

My favorite is how the Secret Service allowed Obama to hug and kiss an attendant to one of the ebola patients before that worker had gone through 21 days of asymptomatic quarantine.

That is a breach of protocol FAR more hideous than the terrible one in the photo in the OP.

The patient is in a containment suit. The medical staff that will go with the patient are in containment suits. The person not in the containment suit is a protocol person, there to insure there are no trip hazards or other issues due to the suits. There will be one like that on the other end of the trip as well.

Why is that a problem?

You would think he should be in base level PPE, a mask, a disposable tyvek, and some gloves. He doesn't have to be in the Level C suit the rest of them are wearing, but he should have something.

For God's sake, common sense says he should have that on. Irrelevant the patient is in a containment suit, clipboard guy should take precautions. Dumb move.
Why do you ignorant people post? He is there to be their eyes and ears moron. How is he going to do that in a suit?

So he can't see or hear if he has some protective gear on? You going with that? :lol:
Its obvious you have no clue about the protocol or what happens when you have on one of those suits. You should stop embarrassing yourself right about now.

A level C suit up is a flimsy tyvek, a dust mask, some goggles and some gloves. I work in construction, I know the protection levels.

The patient is in a containment suit. The medical staff that will go with the patient are in containment suits. The person not in the containment suit is a protocol person, there to insure there are no trip hazards or other issues due to the suits. There will be one like that on the other end of the trip as well.

Why is that a problem?

You would think he should be in base level PPE, a mask, a disposable tyvek, and some gloves. He doesn't have to be in the Level C suit the rest of them are wearing, but he should have something.

For God's sake, common sense says he should have that on. Irrelevant the patient is in a containment suit, clipboard guy should take precautions. Dumb move.
Why do you ignorant people post? He is there to be their eyes and ears moron. How is he going to do that in a suit?

So he can't see or hear if he has some protective gear on? You going with that? :lol:
Its obvious you have no clue about the protocol or what happens when you have on one of those suits. You should stop embarrassing yourself right about now.

Reading comprehension is not your strong suit. Damn, I even underlined it for you. Derrrrp.

A level C suit up is a flimsy tyvek, a dust mask, some goggles and some gloves. I work in construction, I know the protection levels.
So what?
What does that have to do with fact your sight is obscured? The point is for the guy to be able to observe everything with no distractions like a dust mask, goggles, or gloves.

He didn't bother reading your response or mine. He's a bit reactionary.

Reading comprehension is not your strong suit. Damn, I even underlined it for you. Derrrrp.
I think you mean your understanding of the protocol is not your strong suit. He shouldn't have anything on except his clothing.

So what?
What does that have to do with fact your sight is obscured? The point is for the guy to be able to observe everything with no distractions like a dust mask, goggles, or gloves.

Try that excuse with OSHA, "hey my workers need to see better, so they can't wear PPE" If you can't do a job with the right PPE, don't do it.

I think you mean your understanding of the protocol is not your strong suit. He shouldn't have anything on except his clothing.

Wrong, he should have base level protective gear on because, you know, it's Ebola.

Yeah, let`s listen to a bunch of redneck swampdwellers. I am sure they know more about medical science than actual professionals.

Fucking ridicilous!
My guess is I had more NBC training than any of them

I had NBC training as well. That is a very different situation. In an NBC attack, the entire outside area would be considered contaminated. That is not the case here. There is no Ebola on the tarmac. It is contained in the patient's suit.

Just asking, if so then why is everyone else wearing a suit?

One of them is the patient, and is wearing the hazmat suit to contain the virus. The others are the medical staff that will be travelling with the patient, and so they are suited.

So what?

Try that excuse with OSHA, "hey my workers need to see better, so they can't wear PPE" If you can't do a job with the right PPE, don't do it.

If you tell OSHA that the workers cannot see because of the PPE, they will tell you to find a way to minimize or eliminate the hazard and still use the necessary PPE.

That is what they have done. They have a person who watches for any hazards that could potentially damage the hazmat suits. Since he is not going on the flight, and the patient (source of the hazard) is contained inside a hazmat suit, he faces no hazards.

If an electrical lineman is going to be within range of energized equipment, he must wear PPE to prevent electrocution. If he cannot see all the hazards, a spotter will be assigned to watch for the hazards. The spotter does not need to wear the PPE to prevent electrocution. Same situation here.

Last edited:

So what?

If you tell OSHA that the workers cannot see because of the PPE, they will tell you to find a way to minimize or eliminate the hazard and still use the necessary PPE.

That is what they have done. They have a person who watches for any hazards that could potentially damage the hazmat suits. Since he is not going on the flight, and the patient (source of the hazard) is contained inside a hazmat suit, he faces no hazards.

If an electrical lineman is going to be within range of energized equipment, he must wear PPE to prevent electrocution. If he cannot see all the hazards, a spotter will be assigned to watch for the hazards. The spotter does not need to wear the PPE to prevent electrocution. Same situation here.
Wrong at all times on the job you always wear your PPE

So what?

That applies for general PPE. A hazmat suit is specialized PPE and is not worn unless there is a reasonable expectation of exposure. In the situation shown in the OP, there is no reasonable expectation of exposure.

The spotter does not wear PPE for high voltage work, since he will not be within the range of the hazard.

When you wear hazmat gear to go into a tank, does everyone in the entire plant don hazmat gear?

So what?

That applies for general PPE. A hazmat suit is specialized PPE and is not worn unless there is a reasonable expectation of exposure. In the situation shown in the OP, there is no reasonable expectation of exposure.

The spotter does not wear PPE for high voltage work, since he will not be within the range of the hazard.

When you wear hazmat gear to go into a tank, does everyone in the entire plant don hazmat gear?
one more time while on any job you are required by OSHA to wear your PPE NO MATTER WHAT YOUR TASK IS

So what?

He is not a worker. He is making sure the workers are not encountering any issues. If he was a worker he would be handling the patient. I dont think you know what you are talking about.

So what?

His job is watch the workers. He is not handling the patient.

So what?

one more time while on any job you are required by OSHA to wear your PPE NO MATTER WHAT YOUR TASK IS

One more time, the PPE is required for a hazard. The protocol officer has no reasonable expectation of a hazard.

You say you have worn hazmat suits. Do you wear them every day, all day? Does everyone at your place of employment wear them every day?

Here is the OSHA requirement from the 1910 standard:

1910.132(a) "Application. Protective equipment, including personal protective equipment for eyes, face, head, and extremities, protective clothing, respiratory devices, and protective shields and barriers, shall be provided, used, and maintained in a sanitary and reliable condition wherever it is necessary by reason of hazards of processes or environment, chemical hazards, radiological hazards, or mechanical irritants encountered in a manner capable of causing injury or impairment in the function of any part of the body through absorption, inhalation or physical contact."

1910.132 (d)(1) "The employer shall assess the workplace to determine if hazards are present, or are likely to be present, which necessitate the use of personal protective equipment (PPE). If such hazards are present, or likely to be present, the employer shall:"

There is no hazard present, nor is there likely to be one.

So what?

He took something from one of those who had just handle the nurse.

So what?

BS. You have no clue about what you are saying but at this point I think I will go with what the CDC says is protocol over your opinion.

So what?

He took something from one of those who had just handle the nurse.

And if whatever he took was not exposed to the virus, he does not need to worry. Since the virus is contained inside the hazmat suits, and the medical staff and patient were suited up in isolation, there is no hazard.

By your way of seeing it, they should have to destroy the tarmac where the people inside the hazmat suits walked.

The hazmat suits stop the virus.

One more time, the PPE is required for a hazard. The protocol officer has no reasonable expectation of a hazard.

You say you have worn hazmat suits. Do you wear them every day, all day? Does everyone at your place of employment wear them every day?

Here is the OSHA requirement from the 1910 standard:

1910.132(a) "Application. Protective equipment, including personal protective equipment for eyes, face, head, and extremities, protective clothing, respiratory devices, and protective shields and barriers, shall be provided, used, and maintained in a sanitary and reliable condition wherever it is necessary by reason of hazards of processes or environment, chemical hazards, radiological hazards, or mechanical irritants encountered in a manner capable of causing injury or impairment in the function of any part of the body through absorption, inhalation or physical contact."

1910.132 (d)(1) "The employer shall assess the workplace to determine if hazards are present, or are likely to be present, which necessitate the use of personal protective equipment (PPE). If such hazards are present, or likely to be present, the employer shall:"

There is no hazard present, nor is there likely to be one.

As required by the standard, PPE must be selected which will protect employees from the specific hazards which they are likely to encounter during their work on-site.

Standard PPE on a construction job is hardhat safety glasses glocve cut level 2 and steel toe boots that PPE must be worn at all times that is an OSHA requirement
General description and discussion of the levels of protection and protective gear. - 1910.120 App B

Forum List

Back