Trump orders colleges to back free speech or lose funding

State funding goes primarily to public institutions, while federal funding goes to students at public, private and for-profit colleges, and to researchers at public and private universities.
www.insidehighered.com › news › 2015/06/12 › study-us-higher-educat...

Study: U.S. higher education receives more from federal than ...

how many times must I post the truth before you stop lying?

trump?

is that you?
students pay back loans, not the university. the check goes to the student not the university. you're confused who is getting the money. the student pays for their class, not the government. the student then owes that money back in the loan agreement. you should actually go to a university so you learn the difference.

Students are not allowed to spend their federally subsidized loans anywhere, are they?
as long as they qualified for the loan, I'm sure they can. I can get a loan on any car as long as my credit history allows me to pay it back.

Nope and nope. The federal government sets standards for what qualifies. They could set standards that say federal student loans can only be spent a schools that support freedom of speech.
they could, but they didn't.

Correct. Because Trump doesn’t actually want freedom of speech.

pogo is just mad cause someone shoved a pogo stick up his ass when he was a child and it could never be removed. now if you take ANY stance, he'll take the other to simply call you stupid then tigger around like he won something.

Hey, Marty's the one trying to dance around my question sooooooooooooooo................ :eusa_whistle:
sure he did. that's a fking lie. dude, you're on a message board, know someone will always look at the posts and I did, he stated with this comment: She was invited by other Students, they have the ability to do so.

What is it you read in that answer? a student invites, they are allowed on campus. question answered. you're insincere friend. what a shame. another factless poster. deceitful and a liar.

Since you obviously CAN'T READ, I'll essplain it to your illiterate ass in tiny widdle words.

I asked Marty if he --- not YOU -- HE (because I don't give a fuck what you believe, and you didn't bring it up anyway) believes that (insert speaker name here) has the inherent right to speak, at a college campus he's not even affiliated with, while the students who ARE affiliated with and in attendance at that college, DO NOT have that right.

That's what he can't answer. And you can't either because IT WASN'T YOUR FUCKING POINT IN THE FIRST PLACE you giant black hole of mental midgetry.

Also pointed out that his link claimed Murray was "forced to flee" yet the video therein showed no such fleeing.

That about cover it, Peewee? Get it now or do I have to draw fucking stick figures?

The speakers were INVITED by Students attending the university.

The video doesn't, but the story describes his car being attacked as he was leaving the venue.

Your games are old and tired. get new ones. Poo-Goo

How many times are you going to try to dance around the question without touching it?

What is it, radioactive?
accept that he did answer it. you're lying. as usual.

again, public vs private. huge difference.

public?

private?

trump said "colleges must back free speech or LOSE government funding"

"colleges" = ALL colleges; private AND public

so ANY COLLEGE that receives MY MONEY MUST allow the FREE SPEECH of everyone!
As we keep telling you Liberty does not get federal funds

Nonsense ^

Evangelical Liberty University received half a billion dollars in federal aid money
That financial aid went to students not the university

A distinction without a difference ^ That money goes to the corrupt leadership and directly into the school wealth fund.

What makes all these accounts more concerning is that Liberty receives a majority of its revenues—more than $770 million annually—from government sources. In contrast to other schools like Hillsdale College or Grove City College, which don’t accept federal funds, students pay for Liberty with federal aid and federal loans. While the university shouldn’t have to compromise on its mission in order to receive these dollars, it is deeply troubling when taxpayer money goes toward supporting business ventures that have no academic mission.​

Liberty University: A Cautionary Tale From a School Receiving $770 Million Annually From Government Sources
Thats a leftwing viewpoint that I dont share

students at Liberty have the same right to student loans and students at harvard or yale

hillsdale college is a great example of the independent American spirit but most students need a little help

students pay back loans, not the university. the check goes to the student not the university. you're confused who is getting the money. the student pays for their class, not the government. the student then owes that money back in the loan agreement. you should actually go to a university so you learn the difference.

Students are not allowed to spend their federally subsidized loans anywhere, are they?
as long as they qualified for the loan, I'm sure they can. I can get a loan on any car as long as my credit history allows me to pay it back.

Nope and nope. The federal government sets standards for what qualifies. They could set standards that say federal student loans can only be spent a schools that support freedom of speech.

he stated to the universities that accept grant money. you have an issue with facts i see. I'd really wished the public universities didn't create this mess to begin with. so what?

President Donald Trump signed an executive order Thursday requiring U.S. colleges to protect free speech on their campuses or risk losing federal research funding.

The new order directs federal agencies to ensure that any college or university receiving research grants agrees to promote free speech and the exchange of ideas, and to follow federal rules guiding free expression.

“Even as universities have received billions and billions of dollars from taxpayers, many have become increasingly hostile to free speech and to the First Amendment,” Trump said at a White House signing ceremony. “These universities have tried to restrict free thought, impose total conformity and shut down the voices of great young Americans.”
---
see link for the rest of the story.

but good. if they're not going to allow both sides equal time, then no $ for you.
And I thought you guys opposed the Fairness Dictrine.

More big government.

Radio stations are privately owned and dont receive federal funding,which they'd need because nobody listens to liberal talk radio....including liberals.

As we keep telling you Liberty does not get federal funds

But I thought that conservative Christians cared about freedom of speech?

You know. Because they’re so secure in their beliefs and whatnot.
The federal government has leverage over private colleges that take federal money

Liberty University does not

we were asked if a homosexual presidential candidate would be allowed to speak at Liberty and my answer was probably so

So do Christian conservatives care about free speech or not? Why should anyone have to leverage a college (especially one ironically called Liberty) into allowing freedom of speech?
I think there is a huge difference

if I work for the city they might tell me I cant post trump banners in my workspace

but they cant tell me I have to post a Vote For Bernie sign in my front yard

So do conservative Christians care about free speech or not?
We do

at least in the public square

if you come to my home be careful what you say or I might ask you to leave

just as you would me in your home

President Donald Trump signed an executive order Thursday requiring U.S. colleges to protect free speech on their campuses or risk losing federal research funding.

The new order directs federal agencies to ensure that any college or university receiving research grants agrees to promote free speech and the exchange of ideas, and to follow federal rules guiding free expression.

“Even as universities have received billions and billions of dollars from taxpayers, many have become increasingly hostile to free speech and to the First Amendment,” Trump said at a White House signing ceremony. “These universities have tried to restrict free thought, impose total conformity and shut down the voices of great young Americans.”
---

but good. if they're not going to allow both sides equal time, then no $ for you.

More big government.
And just how is the FCC involved?

You supporting a similar thing, mandating equal time for "both" side . Are there only two sides? Who decides? Who defines?

Bad idea.

So you're okay with your taxes going to further leftwing propaganda and silencing opposition?
Of course you are.

Guess Trump gets to decide what speech he will protect

He didn’t protect free speech in the NFL

Does the NFL get federal funding? Does the NFL purport to be open spaces for the free exchange of ideas?
What right does Trump have to condemn free speech in the NFL while condemning colleges for doing the same?

A speaker spews hate about Muslims, Mexicans and Gays and a College says he is not welcome

A football player silently protests police killings of African Americans and the President is outraged
/—-/ Free Speech doesn’t extend to your place of employment. “No Constitutional Freedom of Speech in the Private Sector

Employees in the public sector – who work for governmental entities – have First Amendment rights in the workplace, subject to certain restrictions. The case law that has developed over time regarding First Amendment rights in the workplace has come from the public sector, as the government is directly affecting employees in public sector cases. Private citizens do not enjoy the same protections.” Freedom Of Speech In The Workplace: The First Amendment Revisited - FindLaw

Hey, Marty's the one trying to dance around my question sooooooooooooooo................ :eusa_whistle:
sure he did. that's a fking lie. dude, you're on a message board, know someone will always look at the posts and I did, he stated with this comment: She was invited by other Students, they have the ability to do so.

What is it you read in that answer? a student invites, they are allowed on campus. question answered. you're insincere friend. what a shame. another factless poster. deceitful and a liar.

Since you obviously CAN'T READ, I'll essplain it to your illiterate ass in tiny widdle words.

I asked Marty if he --- not YOU -- HE (because I don't give a fuck what you believe, and you didn't bring it up anyway) believes that (insert speaker name here) has the inherent right to speak, at a college campus he's not even affiliated with, while the students who ARE affiliated with and in attendance at that college, DO NOT have that right.

That's what he can't answer. And you can't either because IT WASN'T YOUR FUCKING POINT IN THE FIRST PLACE you giant black hole of mental midgetry.

Also pointed out that his link claimed Murray was "forced to flee" yet the video therein showed no such fleeing.

That about cover it, Peewee? Get it now or do I have to draw fucking stick figures?

The video doesn't, but the story describes his car being attacked as he was leaving the venue.

How many times are you going to try to dance around the question without touching it?

What is it, radioactive?
dunno about radioactive but if it is YOUR question then i'm sure it's stupid.

Yet another white knight pops up like a gopher to try to get his fellow cultist off the hook.

Just let him run away on his own.

If you are going to ask a question, can you let the other person answer?

Gonna need a bigger Irony Meter.

Last edited:
Is the Trumpybear offering grants for security for our students, or do they expect the Universities or the States to pick up the tab to ensure that all our children are safe on campus when controversial or extreme Pundants are invited by a Student Group.?

That extra security is needed should tell you there's problem with liberalism in our so called institutes of higher learning.

Right. If those organizations wanted to book controversial celebrity speakers who needed extra security, those organizations should have been willing to pay for it. Not the schools. Not the Tax payers. Not the parents of all the other students.

I believe a dialog between the campus groups and the University had the situation calmed down by the end of 2018.

What is it, radioactive?
dunno about radioactive but if it is YOUR question then i'm sure it's stupid.

Yet another white knight pops up like a gopher to try to get his fellow cultist off the hook.

Just let him run away on his own.
Trolling you. Don't care about who you are talking to.

---

More big government.

You supporting a similar thing, mandating equal time for "both" side . Are there only two sides? Who decides? Who defines?

Bad idea.

So you're okay with your taxes going to further leftwing propaganda and silencing opposition?
Of course you are.

Is the Trumpybear offering grants for security for our students, or do they expect the Universities or the States to pick up the tab to ensure that all our children are safe on campus when controversial or extreme Pundants are invited by a Student Group.?

That extra security is needed should tell you there's problem with liberalism in our so called institutes of higher learning.

Right. If those organizations wanted to book controversial celebrity speakers who needed extra security, those organizations should have been willing to pay for it. Not the schools. Not the Tax payers. Not the parents of all the other students.

I believe a dialog between the campus groups and the University had the situation calmed down by the end of 2018.

Because of violent leftist?:auiqs.jpg:
Here's an idea, put a stop to violent leftist dictating who gets to speak.

Proof?

---

More big government.

Bad idea.

Of course you are.

I was answering a statement.
Not that I give a fuck what you think.

Proof?

AGAIN??

Okay, pay attention this time.

You
public vs private. you should really look into who funds which.

Are you under the impression that tax dollars aren’t spent at private universities?
exactly. prove they are and I will apologize.
Some private liberal colleges may

but the example chosen was Liberty and they dont

Does Liberty accept federally backed student loans?
you said that wrong. do students who ask for federally backed student loans go to Liberty. maybe. but that isn't the funding referenced in trump's EO. you still don't get it.

Guess Trump gets to decide what speech he will protect

He didn’t protect free speech in the NFL

Does the NFL get federal funding? Does the NFL purport to be open spaces for the free exchange of ideas?
What right does Trump have to condemn free speech in the NFL while condemning colleges for doing the same?

A speaker spews hate about Muslims, Mexicans and Gays and a College says he is not welcome

A football player silently protests police killings of African Americans and the President is outraged

How much federal funding does the NFL receive annually, on average?

Here’s How Much Money the NFL Rakes in From Taxpayers

Here’s How Much Money the NFL Rakes in From Taxpayers
Jarrett Stepman / September 26, 2017 /

The National Football League is now plunged into politics as players throughout the sport kneel for the national anthem and President Donald Trump continues to rebuke them publicly.

Undoubtedly, the situation has left many fans and non-fans of the league conflicted or angry.

This fiasco may, however, open the eyes of the public to a serious and generally unchecked issue: billionaire NFL owners sponging enormous amounts of money from taxpayers through crony capitalist schemes.

The fact is that a business that raked in $14 billion in revenue in 2016 is heavily subsidized by local, state, and federal money based on dubious claims about stimulating the economy.

One report on Watchdog.org said that over the past two decades, the NFL has raked in about $7 billion of taxpayer money to spend on stadium renovation and building.

Another study from the Brookings Institution showed that federal taxpayers have subsidized the construction of 36 stadiums at a cost of over $3.2 billion since 2000.

Michael Sargent, an infrastructure expert at The Heritage Foundation, wrote about how sports teams use specially crafted tax breaks to get the public to finance their massive projects.

“Tax-exempt municipal bonds are typically reserved for public-use projects such as bridges, water systems, and other infrastructure,” Sargent wrote for The Daily Signal. “Yet because of a loophole in the tax code, private-use stadiums can take advantage of this tax break, and have done so prolifically.”

would you let violent leftists speak at YOUR college?

What a great idea. They stopped liberal Bill Maher from speaking too.

You can't be a liberal and do illiberal things like shouting other people down because you don't like what they say.

---

Did he tell CHRISTIAN COLLEGES that they will lose THEIR federal funding if they don't protect free speech?
In fact, he just did. But I'm sure you are thinking of PRIVATE colleges that are not subject to federal dollars.

Forum List

Back