Trump orders colleges to back free speech or lose funding

They sure do
Do you have a link to that?
See posts above this thread
I looked and there is no proof that Liberty gets federal grant money

Evangelical Liberty University received half a billion dollars in federal aid money

Evangelical Liberty University received half a billion dollars in federal aid money
One conservative college got more government cash than NPR last year

Alex Pareene
April 5, 2011 7:45PM (UTC)

Liberty University, the evangelical private Christian school founded by dead apartheid-supporting bigot Jerry Falwell, received $445 million in federal financial aid last year. The Corporation for Public Broadcasting, by the way, received $420 million from the federal government.
Just because a lib editor lies in a headline it does not become a fact

Liberty receive ZERO dollars from the federal government

that money went to students

They didn't receive the money directly. They did receive the money.

They sure do

Alex Pareene

Liberty University, the evangelical private Christian school founded by dead apartheid-supporting bigot Jerry Falwell, received $445 million in federal financial aid last year. The Corporation for Public Broadcasting, by the way, received $420 million from the federal government.

I keep forgetting.

Cons only believe what they WANT to believe and truth, facts or reality have nothing to do with it.

ok....

why don't YOU see if YOU can find any data suggesting that liberty did NOT get any federal funds.

Guess Trump gets to decide what speech he will protect

He didn’t protect free speech in the NFL

Does the NFL get federal funding? Does the NFL purport to be open spaces for the free exchange of ideas?
What right does Trump have to condemn free speech in the NFL while condemning colleges for doing the same?

A speaker spews hate about Muslims, Mexicans and Gays and a College says he is not welcome

A football player silently protests police killings of African Americans and the President is outraged

How much federal funding does the NFL receive annually, on average?

The NFL not only has tax payers fund it's stadiums, it receives federal tax breaks, which economists consider a subsidy.

PolitiFact - Is the NFL getting 'massive tax breaks,' as Donald Trump said?

Alex Pareene

It makes all the difference

if liberals want to assign students to liberal universities for brainwashing just say so

otherwise students should be free to attend any school they want

I thought you understood the concept of supporting the right to say something, while not supporting what was said.

Didnt' you support the right of the nazis to march in Charlotessville? Does that make you a nazi?
Again

I doubt if Trumps directive will apply equally at all institutions receiving federal aid.

Will it apply to Christian Universities? How about Military Acadamies?

I suspect it will only apply to liberals

I bet that it will almost never come up at conservatives schools. Because conservatives don't form mobs to use violence to suppress the speech of their enemies.

And that "almost" is just me covering my ass. I suspect it will NEVER come up at a conservative school.

A Texas teacher sued the state after losing her job for refusing to sign a pro-Israel contract

Interesting conflict between state law and personal beliefs.

Meanwhile, at lib schools when conservatives try to speak.

Sometimes it takes riots. It took riots to get blacks equal rights. It took riots to get us out of Vietnam. The founders understood that.

Perhaps over some things. . . but we are not talking about real oppression here, we are talking about a philosophical disagreement on how to organize an economy. This does not necessitate riots. If you think it does, then I am sad to say, as soon as you have picked up the club, it is YOU that have become the monster. YOU have become the oppressor in this scenario.

If you need violence to win in a war of ideas, you clearly have weaker ideas. :71:

Alex Pareene

if liberals want to assign students to liberal universities for brainwashing just say so

They should be able to. My only point is Liberty University benefited greatly from government student loan money.

Again

I doubt if Trumps directive will apply equally at all institutions receiving federal aid.

I bet that it will almost never come up at conservatives schools. Because conservatives don't form mobs to use violence to suppress the speech of their enemies.

And that "almost" is just me covering my ass. I suspect it will NEVER come up at a conservative school.

A Texas teacher sued the state after losing her job for refusing to sign a pro-Israel contract

Sometimes it takes riots. It took riots to get blacks equal rights. It took riots to get us out of Vietnam. The founders understood that.

Perhaps over some things. . . but we are not talking about real oppression here, we are talking about a philosophical disagreement on how to organize an economy. This does not necessitate riots. If you think it does, then I am sad to say, as soon as you have picked up the club, it is YOU that have become the monster. YOU have become the oppressor in this scenario.

If you need violence to win in a war of ideas, you clearly have weaker ideas. :71:

"If you need violence to win in a war of ideas, you clearly have weaker ideas."

I assume you say that to every conservative on this board who talks about CIVIL WAR....

but I searched and searched and couldn't find any!

did you delete them afterwards?

Again

Perhaps over some things. . .

So really, your argument should have stopped right there.

but we are not talking about real oppression here, we are talking about a philosophical disagreement on how to organize an economy. This does not necessitate riots. If you think it does, then I am sad to say, as soon as you have picked up the club, it is YOU that have become the monster. YOU have become the oppressor in this scenario.

I was asked if I supported violence against your political opponents. I said I could support that and noted when and gave some examples. Your generalizations have added nothing.

But to note, the Boston Tea Party was over the philosophical disagreements on how to organize the economy.

Trump orders colleges to back free speech or lose funding

President Donald Trump signed an executive order Thursday requiring U.S. colleges to protect free speech on their campuses or risk losing federal research funding.

The new order directs federal agencies to ensure that any college or university receiving research grants agrees to promote free speech and the exchange of ideas, and to follow federal rules guiding free expression.

“Even as universities have received billions and billions of dollars from taxpayers, many have become increasingly hostile to free speech and to the First Amendment,” Trump said at a White House signing ceremony. “These universities have tried to restrict free thought, impose total conformity and shut down the voices of great young Americans.”
---
see link for the rest of the story.

but good. if they're not going to allow both sides equal time, then no $ for you.

Did he tell CHRISTIAN COLLEGES that they will lose THEIR federal funding if they don't protect free speech?

You're in such a rush to hate this on multiple levels (Trrrruuummmppp!!!, free speech!!, CHRISTIANS, AAAAARRRGGHH!!!), you left whatever brain function you had behind.

Have someone literate read you the article, pinhead. "The new order directs federal agencies to ensure that any college or university receiving research grants agrees to promote free speech and the exchange of ideas, and to follow federal rules guiding free expression."

So, you support the use of street violence, against your political enemies.

THank you for your honesty. So many of your lib buddies here, lie about that.

So, are you going to be honest enough to admit that with people like you, and mobs like Antifa, that Trump's move is completely called for?

Or is that too much even for an honest left like you?

do YOU support street violence against your political enemies?

rush limbaugh (having already advocated "beating them with clubs") said "leave only SOME liberals left alive!" (apparently as a warning to future generations)

ann coulter: "we should shoot a few (liberals) to let the rest know it can happen to them"

and when every con on this board says "I HAVE GUNS and soon there is gonna be a CIVIL WAR" can I assume they are threatening violence? street or otherwise?

I am not familiar with the limbaugh quote

but I assure you I will only shoot liberals who are trying to shoot me first

thats ok, isnt it?

Alex Pareene

I think this brain washing at Universities is baloney. My daughter teaches at one. When she was told that she was responsible for teaching the kids all that left wing ideology, she said she'd be happy if she could teach them do do their reading assignments and homework for her class.

So, you support the use of street violence, against your political enemies.

THank you for your honesty. So many of your lib buddies here, lie about that.

So, are you going to be honest enough to admit that with people like you, and mobs like Antifa, that Trump's move is completely called for?

Or is that too much even for an honest left like you?

do YOU support street violence against your political enemies?

rush limbaugh (having already advocated "beating them with clubs") said "leave only SOME liberals left alive!" (apparently as a warning to future generations)

ann coulter: "we should shoot a few (liberals) to let the rest know it can happen to them"

and when every con on this board says "I HAVE GUNS and soon there is gonna be a CIVIL WAR" can I assume they are threatening violence? street or otherwise?

I am not familiar with the limbaugh quote

but I assure you I will only shoot liberals who are trying to shoot me first

thats ok, isnt it?

"but I assure you I will only shoot liberals who are trying to shoot me first

thats ok, isnt it?"

sure.

Alex Pareene

I keep forgetting.

Cons only believe what they WANT to believe and truth, facts or reality have nothing to do with it.

ok....

why don't YOU see if YOU can find any data suggesting that liberty did NOT get any federal funds.
I read every link and all of them are for student loans and grants to students not the university

Alex Pareene

I keep forgetting.

ok....

I read every link and all of them are for student loans and grants to students not the university

Which then goes to the University. Yes there are different rules whether the aide is direct or not. All the same they are benefiting greatly.

Alex Pareene

I keep forgetting.

ok....

Which then goes to the University. Yes there are different rules whether the aide is direct or not. All the same they are benefiting greatly.
True

if you want to hurt Liberty you could do so by not giving the kids any money for education

is that what liberals plan to do?

Alex Pareene

I keep forgetting.

ok....

True

if you want to hurt Liberty you could do so by not giving the kids any money for education

No idea. I've heard nothing of the sort.

Perhaps over some things. . .

So really, your argument should have stopped right there.

but we are not talking about real oppression here, we are talking about a philosophical disagreement on how to organize an economy. This does not necessitate riots. If you think it does, then I am sad to say, as soon as you have picked up the club, it is YOU that have become the monster. YOU have become the oppressor in this scenario.

I was asked if I supported violence against your political opponents. I said I could support that and noted when and gave some examples. Your generalizations have added nothing.

But to note, the Boston Tea Party was over the philosophical disagreements on how to organize the economy.

The political violence on those campuses was to PREVENT their opponents from speaking.

All of the other instances of political violence, INCLUDING the tea party, that you are highlighting is for political groups to have the chance to be represented in the first place.

You really do not get what is going on at all. This is not surprising given your taking a shine to communism. This sort of ideology must be forced with violence. It cannot compete in the marketplace of ideas, it MUST USE VIOLENCE.

In one situation, a group is fighting against political repression, in the video, the political group ARE the political oppressors. If you are too STUPID to understand that the far left groups have become the EVIL? Then there is nothing left for us to discuss.

the_skull_by_darkcornerproduction_dawhc5o-fullview.jpg

So do Christian conservatives care about free speech or not? Why should anyone have to leverage a college (especially one ironically called Liberty) into allowing freedom of speech?
I think there is a huge difference

if I work for the city they might tell me I cant post trump banners in my workspace

but they cant tell me I have to post a Vote For Bernie sign in my front yard

So do conservative Christians care about free speech or not?
We do

at least in the public square

if you come to my home be careful what you say or I might ask you to leave

just as you would me in your home
But this isn’t your home, it’s a university with students paying to attend.

This shows that it isn’t actually about constitutional rights or promoting academic diversity.
State funded universities are in the public square just as we are walking around on the streets

but a private Christian university that receives no federal or state subsidies is just that - private

the same we are in our homes

Is a private research university such as, say, Harvard the public square?

State Universities already have an obligation to uphold freedom of speech regardless of his executive order.

I keep forgetting.

ok....

True

No idea. I've heard nothing of the sort.
Thats what you will have to do if you want to punish Liberty - cut off education money to the students

which as it stands now is probably illegal

but if or when dems control congress and the white house anything is possible

Guess Trump gets to decide what speech he will protect

He didn’t protect free speech in the NFL

I thought you understood the concept of supporting the right to say something, while not supporting what was said.

Didnt' you support the right of the nazis to march in Charlotessville? Does that make you a nazi?
Again

Actually, they do

Liberty University bans any type of alternative speech including abortion, gay rights and even the Democratic Party

Forum List

Back