Trump orders colleges to back free speech or lose funding

I think there is a huge difference

if I work for the city they might tell me I cant post trump banners in my workspace

but they cant tell me I have to post a Vote For Bernie sign in my front yard

So do conservative Christians care about free speech or not?
We do

at least in the public square

if you come to my home be careful what you say or I might ask you to leave

just as you would me in your home
But this isn’t your home, it’s a university with students paying to attend.

This shows that it isn’t actually about constitutional rights or promoting academic diversity.
State funded universities are in the public square just as we are walking around on the streets

but a private Christian university that receives no federal or state subsidies is just that - private

the same we are in our homes

Is a private research university such as, say, Harvard the public square?

State Universities already have an obligation to uphold freedom of speech regardless of his executive order.
To the extent that it receives federal research grants it is in the public square

Guess Trump gets to decide what speech he will protect

He didn’t protect free speech in the NFL

Disrespecting the US flag and National Anthem isn't free speech, its an insult to those who died in-service to the country.
It has nothing to do with BLM.
Neither is antifa rioting "free speech"
Nor is hitting conservatives with pies "free speech"
Nor is indoctrinating college kids into liberalism using grades as leverage "free speech"
Why do you have a problem presenting both liberalism and conservatism fairly, since tax dollars are involved?
Supreme Court says it is
Nine Clowns With Gavels and Gowns

SCROTUS has no authority. It is intentionally ignored that judicial review was obiter dictum in Marbury v Madison. Therefore, it was non-binding.

I thought you understood the concept of supporting the right to say something, while not supporting what was said.

Didnt' you support the right of the nazis to march in Charlotessville? Does that make you a nazi?
Again

I doubt if Trumps directive will apply equally at all institutions receiving federal aid.

Will it apply to Christian Universities? How about Military Acadamies?

I suspect it will only apply to liberals

I bet that it will almost never come up at conservatives schools. Because conservatives don't form mobs to use violence to suppress the speech of their enemies.

And that "almost" is just me covering my ass. I suspect it will NEVER come up at a conservative school.
Actually, they do

Liberty University bans any type of alternative speech including abortion, gay rights and even the Democratic Party
I seriously doubt that

President Donald Trump signed an executive order Thursday requiring U.S. colleges to protect free speech on their campuses or risk losing federal research funding.

The new order directs federal agencies to ensure that any college or university receiving research grants agrees to promote free speech and the exchange of ideas, and to follow federal rules guiding free expression.

“Even as universities have received billions and billions of dollars from taxpayers, many have become increasingly hostile to free speech and to the First Amendment,” Trump said at a White House signing ceremony. “These universities have tried to restrict free thought, impose total conformity and shut down the voices of great young Americans.”
---
see link for the rest of the story.

but good. if they're not going to allow both sides equal time, then no $ for you.

Did he tell CHRISTIAN COLLEGES that they will lose THEIR federal funding if they don't protect free speech?
Under Trumps mandate, will Christian Schools be required to accept Pro Choice speakers?

and let us not forget that (with Devos et al) we have people entrenched in power who would LOVE to destroy PUBLIC EDUCATION and replace it ALL with CONSERVATIVE CHRISTIAN education......where, due to their religious beliefs) they will be allowed to brainwash YOUR kids with their hate

Seriously, the crinkly noise from your tinfoil hat is really grating.

President Donald Trump signed an executive order Thursday requiring U.S. colleges to protect free speech on their campuses or risk losing federal research funding.

The new order directs federal agencies to ensure that any college or university receiving research grants agrees to promote free speech and the exchange of ideas, and to follow federal rules guiding free expression.

“Even as universities have received billions and billions of dollars from taxpayers, many have become increasingly hostile to free speech and to the First Amendment,” Trump said at a White House signing ceremony. “These universities have tried to restrict free thought, impose total conformity and shut down the voices of great young Americans.”
---

but good. if they're not going to allow both sides equal time, then no $ for you.

Trumpism is Authoritarianism.

FYI, "authoritarianism" does NOT mean "he disagrees with me".

---

Did he tell CHRISTIAN COLLEGES that they will lose THEIR federal funding if they don't protect free speech?
Under Trumps mandate, will Christian Schools be required to accept Pro Choice speakers?
Made-Up Wedge Issue

Touché. Especially because abortion is not forbidden in the Bible.

we don't fund the NFL now do we?

god damn you're just a terminal trollboy.

We DO FUND THE NFL. Cities across the country use PUBLIC MONEY to finance and subsidize their new stadiums all the time.

You know the difference between local governments and the federal government, right?

This is the kind of leadership this country needs, Someone to tell bureaucrats this isn't Russia or red China. Viva Trumpy.

If the NFL and it’s teams were receiving Federal funding like the colleges that obstruct free speech, then you would have a point. The NFL is a private enterprise and can control speech just like a private college, but all that changes when you take money from Uncle Sam.

Is the Trumpybear offering grants for security for our students, or do they expect the Universities or the States to pick up the tab to ensure that all our children are safe on campus when controversial or extreme Pundants are invited by a Student Group.?

Maybe you leftists should just stop being triggered to violence, and then it wouldn't be necessary.

Is the Trumpybear offering grants for security for our students, or do they expect the Universities or the States to pick up the tab to ensure that all our children are safe on campus when controversial or extreme Pundants are invited by a Student Group.?
so you don't read the story - you just dive straight into snarkshit?

got it.

Reading and thinking slow down his revolutionary fervor, dontcha know?

---

Yes yes GOP lies are great. Trump is a total disgrace along with your propaganda machine and you willfully ignorant doups. Now colleges have to allow the Nazis speaking I suppose Milo what's his name etcetera. Poor America

Does the NFL get federal funding? Does the NFL purport to be open spaces for the free exchange of ideas?
What right does Trump have to condemn free speech in the NFL while condemning colleges for doing the same?

A speaker spews hate about Muslims, Mexicans and Gays and a College says he is not welcome

A football player silently protests police killings of African Americans and the President is outraged

Because the two situations are in no way related?

And it isn't speakers spewing hate, and even if it was, let them speak. the best disinfectant is sunlight, not shadows.

The speakers being denied are being CALLED fascists, but are in no way, shape, or form, fascist.
Who has been denied the right to speak lately? I am sure you'd all be whining about it nonstop if anyone had. The reason for the denials is usually concern about riots/out of control protests that make security impossible and puts students at risk.

I just heard, "I ignore news that doesn't enforce my worldview, and if I haven't heard about it, it doesn't exist!"

You're on the Internet, Brain Trust. Google it.

Maybe you leftists should just stop being triggered to violence, and then it wouldn't be necessary.
Only in super duper world, super duper. Meanwhile the only actual spike in violence is right-wingers attacking Jews black gays and Muslims stop. Attacked even double in areas where Trump has a rally. You dupes must be very proud

If the NFL and it’s teams were receiving Federal funding like the colleges that obstruct free speech, then you would have a point. The NFL is a private enterprise and can control speech just like a private college, but all that changes when you take money from Uncle Sam.

No, while the 1st amendment originally was just a restriction on the federal government from infringing upon freedom of political speech, after the 14th amendment, all the restrictions in the Bill of Rights were considered to also protect individual rights from anyone and everyone, including private companies like the NFL.
It is absolutely illegal for the NFL or any of its teams, to force anyone to stand, sing the anthem, salute the flag, put your hand over your heart, or anything else with any political connotation at all.

Does that imply the NFL then also can not stop people from kneeling?
I think so.
I think it is illegal to even play the anthem at a public events like sports.
It does not belong there.
It is intrusive, and requires an individual response.

In 2009, Liberty “derecognized” the school’s chapter of College Democrats because the national Democratic Party is pro-choice, and dares to “promote the LGBT agenda.”
As the link points out Liberty will allow a Democrat organization as long as its not linked to the national party because of issues such as abortion and gay marriage

I still believe that if the gay presidential candidate wanted to give a speech at the university he would be allowed to do so

I think there is a huge difference

if I work for the city they might tell me I cant post trump banners in my workspace

but they cant tell me I have to post a Vote For Bernie sign in my front yard

So do conservative Christians care about free speech or not?
We do

at least in the public square

if you come to my home be careful what you say or I might ask you to leave

just as you would me in your home
But this isn’t your home, it’s a university with students paying to attend.

This shows that it isn’t actually about constitutional rights or promoting academic diversity.
State funded universities are in the public square just as we are walking around on the streets

but a private Christian university that receives no federal or state subsidies is just that - private

the same we are in our homes

Is a private research university such as, say, Harvard the public square?

State Universities already have an obligation to uphold freedom of speech regardless of his executive order.

. .. and yet, they clearly haven't been. When they do not secure the safety of speaker which have been invited to speak, forcing those speakers to cancel? :dunno:

I thought you understood the concept of supporting the right to say something, while not supporting what was said.

Didnt' you support the right of the nazis to march in Charlotessville? Does that make you a nazi?
Again

I doubt if Trumps directive will apply equally at all institutions receiving federal aid.

Will it apply to Christian Universities? How about Military Acadamies?

I suspect it will only apply to liberals

I bet that it will almost never come up at conservatives schools. Because conservatives don't form mobs to use violence to suppress the speech of their enemies.

And that "almost" is just me covering my ass. I suspect it will NEVER come up at a conservative school.
Actually, they do

Liberty University bans any type of alternative speech including abortion, gay rights and even the Democratic Party

Link.

Forum List

Back