Trump orders colleges to back free speech or lose funding

If people on college campuses don't have to allow freedom of speech...can they own slaves as well?

Guess Trump gets to decide what speech he will protect

He didn’t protect free speech in the NFL
Does the NFL get money from the federal government, eh dumbass?

Free speech is still free speech

You can’t condemn it in one instance and demand it in another

Like fuck you can't. Colin Kaper-attention is an employee, and employees cannot/should not say or do anything they like, especially when they're supposed to be performing. CK was a clear disruption and disrespectful as he led his team to 1-10.

Interesting how PROGS claim to respect the first amendment , while the PC police demands everyone who crosses PROG-think be destroyed personally and economically.

Like fuck you can't. Colin Kaper-attention is an employee, and employees cannot/should not say or do anything they like, especially when they're supposed to be performing. CK was a clear disruption and disrespectful as he led his team to 1-10.

Interesting how PROGS claim to respect the first amendment , while the PC police demands everyone who crosses PROG-think be destroyed personally and economically.

Nobody employed by a football team is "performing" during the national jingoanthem. Except as marionettes.

Guess what. They're hired to play football, not to be dancing marionettes for the Pentagon Pimping.

Trump orders colleges to back free speech or lose funding

President Donald Trump signed an executive order Thursday requiring U.S. colleges to protect free speech on their campuses or risk losing federal research funding.

The new order directs federal agencies to ensure that any college or university receiving research grants agrees to promote free speech and the exchange of ideas, and to follow federal rules guiding free expression.

“Even as universities have received billions and billions of dollars from taxpayers, many have become increasingly hostile to free speech and to the First Amendment,” Trump said at a White House signing ceremony. “These universities have tried to restrict free thought, impose total conformity and shut down the voices of great young Americans.”
---
see link for the rest of the story.

but good. if they're not going to allow both sides equal time, then no $ for you.
GREAT news! President Donald J. Trump IS a genius.........

Sure you can. In one case, Trump has no way to compel respect for the First Amendment. In the other case he does. In the first case, Trump condemns what Kaepernick is saying, not his right to say it.

I read every link and all of them are for student loans and grants to students not the university

Which then goes to the University. Yes there are different rules whether the aide is direct or not. All the same they are benefiting greatly.
True

if you want to hurt Liberty you could do so by not giving the kids any money for education

is that what liberals plan to do?

No idea. I've heard nothing of the sort.
Thats what you will have to do if you want to punish Liberty - cut off education money to the students

which as it stands now is probably illegal

but if or when dems control congress and the white house anything is possible

Where did I ever say I wanted to punish Liberty?
Libs dont have to say it

Your posts are dripping with hate for Liberty and for trump

you seem particularly disappointed that Liberty does not get federal funding that dems can take away

other than the students that is

If the NFL and it’s teams were receiving Federal funding like the colleges that obstruct free speech, then you would have a point. The NFL is a private enterprise and can control speech just like a private college, but all that changes when you take money from Uncle Sam.

No, while the 1st amendment originally was just a restriction on the federal government from infringing upon freedom of political speech, after the 14th amendment, all the restrictions in the Bill of Rights were considered to also protect individual rights from anyone and everyone, including private companies like the NFL.
It is absolutely illegal for the NFL or any of its teams, to force anyone to stand, sing the anthem, salute the flag, put your hand over your heart, or anything else with any political connotation at all.

Does that imply the NFL then also can not stop people from kneeling?
I think so.
I think it is illegal to even play the anthem at a public events like sports.
It does not belong there.
It is intrusive, and requires an individual response.
We play the national anthem and salute the flag because we love America and appreciate Americas positive contribution to world history

when the black players stupidly began taking a knee it was an insult to the flag and most Americans, which in turn harmed attendance and revenues to pay the players salary

Bullshit. What you're trying to say is that you're butthurt that uppity black people dared to stand up to your little puppet jingo dance and that's an 'insult' to your klan. And it " harmed" nothing ---- those national anthems aren't even broadcast on TV anyway. If you didn't have moles ordering your fake outrage you wouldn't even have a cue.
Forcing the NFL to not show disrespect for the American flag by taking playing of the national anthem off TV is a victory for the leftwing America haters

But this isn’t your home, it’s a university with students paying to attend.

This shows that it isn’t actually about constitutional rights or promoting academic diversity.
State funded universities are in the public square just as we are walking around on the streets

but a private Christian university that receives no federal or state subsidies is just that - private

the same we are in our homes

Is a private research university such as, say, Harvard the public square?

State Universities already have an obligation to uphold freedom of speech regardless of his executive order.
To the extent that it receives federal research grants it is in the public square

So why differentiate a college receiving research grants or federally subsidized tuition?
They all do except one. Here's the answer: because he can.
The answer is that the money goes to students not Liberty U

Its the kids money that angry libs would have to take away

if they dare

Just because a lib editor lies in a headline it does not become a fact

Liberty receive ZERO dollars from the federal government

that money went to students

I keep forgetting.

Cons only believe what they WANT to believe and truth, facts or reality have nothing to do with it.

ok....

why don't YOU see if YOU can find any data suggesting that liberty did NOT get any federal funds.
I read every link and all of them are for student loans and grants to students not the university

Which then goes to the University. Yes there are different rules whether the aide is direct or not. All the same they are benefiting greatly.
True

if you want to hurt Liberty you could do so by not giving the kids any money for education

and that is why you are conservative....because you are an idiot!

NOBODY said anything about HURTING liberty.

YOU FKN MADE THAT UP!!!!!

we are all merely wondering if the rule will apply to ALL institutions.....

FREE SPEECH or NO FEDERAL FUNDING.

If that is the rule then it should be applied to ALL institutions.
Your bleating about Liberty deserving to have its funds cut along with the lib universities reveals your intentions

trump can punish the leftwing institutions because most of them suck off the public teat to the tune of billions of tax dollars that greedy educators crave

But Liberty does not

You have a right to speak. Kapernicki, since the nfl supported him, had the right to do what he did.

That does not mean that what he did was right.

IN the middle of a ritual, where standing is done to show respect and loyalty to the nation and to your fellow citizens, he choose to do the exact opposite.

THat obviously communicates the opposite of respect and loyalty, ie disrespect and enmity.

He is an anti-American piece of shit, and in a sane world, he would be marginalized by American society.

Read my post which you have responded to, and put yourself into the shoes of those who have been downtrodden. I have no problem coming to grips with how I would feel, if my ancestors, myself and my sons, were treated badly by people in power simply because of their skin color, ethnicity or sexual orientation. Of course I have empathy, something racists, misogynists, and all bigots lack.

I am in the shoes of someone who has been downtrodden, and if Kapernick feels disrespect and enmity to America and Americans, than the celebration of him by the Left is morally wrong.

His excuses and rationalizations for his disloyalty expressed DURING the National Anthem, are not good enough, not even close.

As I noted, you lack empathy. It's clear in your post.

I've been attacked too many times, by people like you, to empathize with you.

Oddly though, it has been scientifically demonstrated that it is liberals who have the least ability to empathize with people who are different than them. You probably already know that.

"
Oddly though, it has been scientifically demonstrated that it is liberals who have the least ability to empathize with people who are different than them. You probably already know that."

scientifically demonstrated?

SCIENTIFICALLY DEMONSTRATED?!?!?!?!

Prove it.

post a link.

....s

It is telling how you categorized people as different.

Haidt: Conservatives Understand Liberals Better Than Liberals Understand Conservatives

"Haidt describes a study in which he examines how well liberals, conservatives, and moderates understand each other. From page 334 of The Righteous Mind (emphasis added):

When I speak to liberal audiences about the three “binding” foundations – Loyalty, Authority, Sanctity – I find that many in the audience don’t just fail to resonate; they actively reject these concerns as immoral. Loyalty to a group shrinks the moral circle; it is the basis of racism and exclusion, they say. Authority is oppression. Sanctity is religious mumbo-jumbo whose only function is to suppress female sexuality and justify homophobia.

In a study I did with Jesse Graham and Brian Nosek, we tested how well liberals and conservatives could understand each other. We asked more than two thousand American visitors to fill out the Moral Foundations Qyestionnaire. One-third of the time they were asked to fill it out normally, answering as themselves. One-third of the time they were asked to fill it out as they think a “typical liberal” would respond. One-third of the time they were asked to fill it out as a “typical conservative” would respond. This design allowed us to examine the stereotypes that each side held about the other. More important, it allowed us to assess how accurate they were by comparing people’s expectations about “typical” partisans to the actual responses from partisans on the left and the right)’ Who was best able to pretend to be the other?

The results were clear and consistent. Moderates and conservatives were most accurate in their predictions, whether they were pretending to be liberals or conservatives. Liberals were the least accurate, especially those who described themselves as “very liberal.” The biggest errors in the whole study came when liberals answered the Care and Fairness questions while pretending to be conservatives. When faced with questions such as “One of the worst things a person could do is hurt a defenseless animal” or ”Justice is the most important requirement for a society,” liberals assumed that conservatives would disagree. If you have a moral matrix built primarily on intuitions about care and fairness (as equality), and you listen to the Reagan [i.e., conservative] narrative, what else could you think? Reagan seems completely unconcerned about the welfare of drug addicts, poor people, and gay people. He’s more interested in fighting wars and telling people how to run their sex lives.

If you don’t see that Reagan is pursuing positive values of Loyalty, Authority, and Sanctity, you almost have to conclude that Republicans see no positive value in Care and Fairness. You might even go as far as Michael Feingold, a theater critic for the liberal newspaper the Village Voice, when he wrote:

Republicans don’t believe in the imagination, partly because so few of them have one, but mostly because it gets in the way of their chosen work, which is to destroy the human race and the planet. Human beings, who have imaginations, can see a recipe for disaster in the making; Republicans, whose goal in life is to profit from disaster and who don’t give a hoot about human beings, either can’t or won’t. Which is why I personally think they should be exterminated before they causeany more harm)3

One of the many ironies in this quotation is that it shows the inability of a theater critic-who skillfully enters fantastical imaginary worlds for a living-to imagine that Republicans act within a moral matrix that differs from his own. Morality binds and blinds."

I bet that it will almost never come up at conservatives schools. Because conservatives don't form mobs to use violence to suppress the speech of their enemies.

And that "almost" is just me covering my ass. I suspect it will NEVER come up at a conservative school.

A Texas teacher sued the state after losing her job for refusing to sign a pro-Israel contract

Interesting conflict between state law and personal beliefs.

Meanwhile, at lib schools when conservatives try to speak.

Sometimes it takes riots. It took riots to get blacks equal rights. It took riots to get us out of Vietnam. The founders understood that.

So, you support the use of street violence, against your political enemies.

THank you for your honesty. So many of your lib buddies here, lie about that.

So, are you going to be honest enough to admit that with people like you, and mobs like Antifa, that Trump's move is completely called for?

Or is that too much even for an honest left like you?

do YOU support street violence against your political enemies?

rush limbaugh (having already advocated "beating them with clubs") said "leave only SOME liberals left alive!" (apparently as a warning to future generations)

ann coulter: "we should shoot a few (liberals) to let the rest know it can happen to them"

and when every con on this board says "I HAVE GUNS and soon there is gonna be a CIVIL WAR" can I assume they are threatening violence? street or otherwise?

I do not support the use of violence against political enemies to take away their rights to speech and/or assembly.

I DO support the use of violence in self defense.

You have some nasty sounding out of context quotes, that could well be lies. I have video of riots where conservatives were prevented from speaking. I could post pics of conservatives with blood pouring from wounds, if you want.

Screw it. Here you go.

video-217864.jpg

f5a1faae06d5b1a58e0875422fc7e914.jpg

It is you guys that are divisive. It is you guys that are violent. It is you guys that need to change your behavior, if you want things to get better, or even stop getting worse.

YOU. THE PROBLEM IS YOU.

I bet that it will almost never come up at conservatives schools. Because conservatives don't form mobs to use violence to suppress the speech of their enemies.

And that "almost" is just me covering my ass. I suspect it will NEVER come up at a conservative school.

A Texas teacher sued the state after losing her job for refusing to sign a pro-Israel contract

Sometimes it takes riots. It took riots to get blacks equal rights. It took riots to get us out of Vietnam. The founders understood that.

Sometimes. Is that not what we did in Boston on December 16, 1773?

So, are you going to be honest enough to admit that with people like you, and mobs like Antifa, that Trump's move is completely called for?

My lib buddies? Who is it that often times notes

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.

Our Founders were honest and clear in what they were doing and why, ie fighting against tyranny.

You liberals are filthy liars fighting to impose tyranny.

Which is why so often the riots happen to STOP conservative speech. Because you lefties fear the Truth getting out.

Which is why this rule will not NEED to be used against conservative schools.

We are not the bad guys, you are.

Again

I doubt if Trumps directive will apply equally at all institutions receiving federal aid.

Will it apply to Christian Universities? How about Military Acadamies?

I suspect it will only apply to liberals

Perhaps over some things. . . but we are not talking about real oppression here, we are talking about a philosophical disagreement on how to organize an economy. This does not necessitate riots. If you think it does, then I am sad to say, as soon as you have picked up the club, it is YOU that have become the monster. YOU have become the oppressor in this scenario.

If you need violence to win in a war of ideas, you clearly have weaker ideas. :71:

And he knows that. He is just lying.

Perhaps over some things. . . but we are not talking about real oppression here, we are talking about a philosophical disagreement on how to organize an economy. This does not necessitate riots. If you think it does, then I am sad to say, as soon as you have picked up the club, it is YOU that have become the monster. YOU have become the oppressor in this scenario.

If you need violence to win in a war of ideas, you clearly have weaker ideas. :71:

"If you need violence to win in a war of ideas, you clearly have weaker ideas."

I assume you say that to every conservative on this board who talks about CIVIL WAR....

but I searched and searched and couldn't find any!

did you delete them afterwards?

Weak ass comeback dude.

State funded universities are in the public square just as we are walking around on the streets

but a private Christian university that receives no federal or state subsidies is just that - private

the same we are in our homes

Is a private research university such as, say, Harvard the public square?

State Universities already have an obligation to uphold freedom of speech regardless of his executive order.
To the extent that it receives federal research grants it is in the public square

So why differentiate a college receiving research grants or federally subsidized tuition?
They all do except one. Here's the answer: because he can.
The answer is that the money goes to students not Liberty U

Its the kids money that angry libs would have to take away

if they dare

The kids then spend the money at liberty U, so sorry this is incorrect.

True

No idea. I've heard nothing of the sort.
Thats what you will have to do if you want to punish Liberty - cut off education money to the students

which as it stands now is probably illegal

but if or when dems control congress and the white house anything is possible

Where did I ever say I wanted to punish Liberty?
Libs dont have to say it

Your posts are dripping with hate for Liberty and for trump

you seem particularly disappointed that Liberty does not get federal funding that dems can take away

other than the students that is

LOL

Sometimes. Is that not what we did in Boston on December 16, 1773?

My lib buddies? Who is it that often times notes

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.

Our Founders were honest and clear in what they were doing and why, ie fighting against tyranny.

You liberals are filthy liars fighting to impose tyranny.

Which is why so often the riots happen to STOP conservative speech. Because you lefties fear the Truth getting out.

Which is why this rule will not NEED to be used against conservative schools.

We are not the bad guys, you are.

I like to discuss things as it helps me keep on top of the local happenings but I certainly wish there were more people who like to do that as opposed to those like yourself who only like to lash out.

Forum List

Back