Understanding Christianity

Christian friend of mine had a much more interesting message from God. Many records of God communicating with us thru dreams. My buddy dreamt he was going to die. With a lot of people. The dream was so real to him he increased his life insurance. A year later he was on flight 93 on 9-11-01. He was one of the four that led the first battle in this long war against Islamic terrorism.
How is that god communicating with him so that he increases his life insurance? :cuckoo:

Christian friend of mine was a retired Lt. Colonel in the Marines. He did two tours in Vietnam. We had talks, and one thing that really bothered him even decades later was the men who said they were going to die and ended up dying on the next mission. My buddy took it personally that he had failed as their commander to keep their attitude from going in that direction thus causing their death. I could tell it had been eating him up for decades. I told him, Ray, maybe God told them what was ahead. That helped him a lot.

I believe is some cases God gives us insight into the future so we can prepare.
Why would god tell them that they're going to die? :cuckoo:
Wouldn't god simply prevent the death from happening by putting him in another situation?
Fireman friend of mine went to a late night fire at a strip mall. One man goes on the roof to cut a hole so heat can escape. He and two others go inside the burning building to make sure no one is inside. My buddy radios the guy on the roof asking if he is done yet, it is still really hot in there. He gets the affirmative, hole has been cut in the roof. (As it turned out a hole was cut in the business next door, the wrong roof.) So my friend continues to go in with a buddy on each side of him.
All of a sudden my buddy hears a voice. STOP. My buddy instinctively stops. The firemen at his side didn't hear anything but see him freeze so they stop too. Just then right in front of them a 5 ton air conditioning unit crashes down from the roof. Right where they would have been if he had not stopped.
God is always watching out for us. Sometimes it is time to go home, sometimes it is not.
So he talks to himself in his head and thought that it might be a good idea to stop and check out the scene instead of charging in like a dead fool. That wasn't god, that was common sense.
Anyways, if that's the case, why doesn't god save all the gunshot victims in a similar manner? Sandy Hook... Why didn't god tell them to get out? Or tell the police to go there? Or strike the motherfucker down?
Sure you can make up lies to delude yourself. All non believers do. I was there once. But I became more interested in learning truth.

How is that god communicating with him so that he increases his life insurance? :cuckoo:

Christian friend of mine was a retired Lt. Colonel in the Marines. He did two tours in Vietnam. We had talks, and one thing that really bothered him even decades later was the men who said they were going to die and ended up dying on the next mission. My buddy took it personally that he had failed as their commander to keep their attitude from going in that direction thus causing their death. I could tell it had been eating him up for decades. I told him, Ray, maybe God told them what was ahead. That helped him a lot.

Wouldn't god simply prevent the death from happening by putting him in another situation?
Fireman friend of mine went to a late night fire at a strip mall. One man goes on the roof to cut a hole so heat can escape. He and two others go inside the burning building to make sure no one is inside. My buddy radios the guy on the roof asking if he is done yet, it is still really hot in there. He gets the affirmative, hole has been cut in the roof. (As it turned out a hole was cut in the business next door, the wrong roof.) So my friend continues to go in with a buddy on each side of him.
All of a sudden my buddy hears a voice. STOP. My buddy instinctively stops. The firemen at his side didn't hear anything but see him freeze so they stop too. Just then right in front of them a 5 ton air conditioning unit crashes down from the roof. Right where they would have been if he had not stopped.
God is always watching out for us. Sometimes it is time to go home, sometimes it is not.
So he talks to himself in his head and thought that it might be a good idea to stop and check out the scene instead of charging in like a dead fool. That wasn't god, that was common sense.
Anyways, if that's the case, why doesn't god save all the gunshot victims in a similar manner? Sandy Hook... Why didn't god tell them to get out? Or tell the police to go there? Or strike the motherfucker down?
Sure you can make up lies to delude yourself. All non believers do. I was there once. But I became more interested in learning truth.
So if god saved this fireman, what about all the firemen on 9/11? Why didn't god save them? There were likely a lot of believers in that bunch. So what gives?

So if god saved this fireman, what about all the firemen on 9/11? Why didn't god save them? There were likely a lot of believers in that bunch. So what gives?
You don't read very good.

Like my friend on flight 93, he was supposed to be there because he had a job to do.

Nice story.

Once the family of a dying elderly woman all came to visit her to pray for her recovery telling her that if she had the faith asked for forgiveness and just believed that God would heal her she would get better because sin was what made her sick. When she didn't get better they told her that her faith must be lacking. Then she died.

I sure hope God was watching those bastards make an old woman feel bad about herself in her dying days.
According to Weather, god should have stopped those nuts from doing that.

He could have fit right in with them.

God didn't stop them but he also didn't stop me from giving them a piece of my mind.

Like my friend on flight 93, he was supposed to be there because he had a job to do.
Lots of people miss flights that go down. Why would god pick a few people out of the whole plane to save and let the others die? That makes no sense at all. Please explain.

Nice story.

Once the family of a dying elderly woman all came to visit her to pray for her recovery telling her that if she had the faith asked for forgiveness and just believed that God would heal her she would get better because sin was what made her sick. When she didn't get better they told her that her faith must be lacking. Then she died.

I sure hope God was watching those bastards make an old woman feel bad about herself in her dying days.

God didn't stop them but he also didn't stop me from giving them a piece of my mind.
So god's just a spectator?

Only the ones who survive a catastrophe go on to say that they have been spared by God, until they die too.

It is rather silly to think that living another day is evidence of God looking out for you since ultimately there is no escape from biological decline and death.

Like Jesus said, when it rains it rains on the good and the bad.

It is better to find a way to accept death as a natural part of life, no sin involved, so that one day you can look at the world in all its insanity and conclude that is is all very good.

Lots of people miss flights that go down. Why would god pick a few people out of the whole plane to save and let the others die? That makes no sense at all. Please explain.
You either have limited brain capacity and/or are intellectually dishonest.

Have a good day.

Nice story.

No, your eyes have not yet been opened to see how God has been intimately involved in your development for your entire life.

You either have limited brain capacity and/or are intellectually dishonest.

Have a good day.
Your concession is duly noted. Douchebag.

Nice story.

No, your eyes have not yet been opened to see how God has been intimately involved in your development for your entire life.
How so? I've broken nearly every bone in my body, lol. Was that His fault every time?

Nice story.

How so? I've broken nearly every bone in my body, lol. Was that His fault every time?

A person could have no arms or legs be completely blind paralyzed or dying yet still be perfectly whole.

God is concerned with the condition of your mind more than your body. Your body will surely die. Your mind can potentially continue forever.

Understanding this is how the blind can see the crippled can walk and the dead can rise from the grave.

Last edited:
It is not so much of a possibility of a spiritual being existing that we have issues with. It is the claim that the spirit also controls the physical that we have trouble with.

If your spirit, your incorporeal consciousness, does not control the physical, your body, what does?

advertisements? Slogans? group think? Emotional impulses? Fear?
What you call spirit, I call consciousness, a physical process of thinking in the brain. My consciousness also doesn't control my physical world, but I do try!

Are you claiming all life with brains have spirit? Even brainless life controls a bit of their environment. They have spirit too?

all that I am saying is that it is rather silly to express a disbelief in spirit when what you already believe about consciousness is the exact same thing.

No they are not the same. Consciousness begins in infancy or perhaps even in the womb somewhat, and increases with development. It ends with death.

And no consciousness is not a physical anything.

If your brain was dissected right now no one would find any physical evidence that your consciousness was ever there.

Harvard Scientists Think They've Pinpointed The Physical Source of Consciousness

Hot on the trail of consciousness in brain and machine

You all define spirit as something independent of the body.

A person could have no arms or legs be completely blind paralyzed or dying yet still be perfectly whole.

God is concerned with the condition of your mind more than your body.

Understanding this is how the blind can see the crippled can walk and the dead can rise from the grave.
So god makes zombies? :cuckoo:
And if He heals crippled people, why are there crippled people still around?
How do you know that god is concerned with my mind?
A person with no arms or legs isn't whole, they're missing arms and legs. :lol:

Geez, hate to say it, but as a god experience, that's really quite lame.
Christian friend of mine had a much more interesting message from God. Many records of God communicating with us thru dreams. My buddy dreamt he was going to die. With a lot of people. The dream was so real to him he increased his life insurance. A year later he was on flight 93 on 9-11-01. He was one of the four that led the first battle in this long war against Islamic terrorism.

Kinda like the joke of plane crashes.

"If it is not my time to die, I will be fine on this flight. However, I'm not so sure about the rest of you."

The separation is the problem. If faith is true, it must live in a scientific world seamlessly.

This isn't hard for many/most of us. I understand some fundamentalists tie themselves up in knots over things like evolution, a world-wide flood, young earth, etc. This is what causes many of the problems we see here on this forum, with people clinging fiercely to the idea of proof. We need to move on past that.

Our lives are more.
Debate is fun and can be enlightening. One of the great things about humanness is we get to ask questions.

So then the universe is ruled by the Great Spaghetti Monster and his antipasto minions. Why not?

What have you shown about your theories? Nothing. Show me something, ANYTHING, like, what kind of experience do you consider an interaction with god, and why? And try to make some sense, like, tie it all together in some reasonably plausible way. Because right now, you've shown nothing for me to connect the dots and maybe say "hey, I see where she's coming from, maybe she has something"...

I have no "theories". That is why--as you note--I have not shown anything about "theories."

What, exactly, do you want me to show you?

From the beginning I have recommended in persevering in your own search for God. I've said that Bible accounts testify to His existence, and I, too, have had life experiences confirming the existence of God.

This is my very simple statement: Persevere in your quest for God.

I've given suggestions that might prove helpful: Look for God in tiny, quiet events, even silence. Do not try to make tests for God. Instead of trying to find a God that meets your expectations of what a God should be, be open to God revealing Himself to you.

My assessment of this conversation (including others in the thread as well) is that there is no interest in taking on the quest of finding God and discovering something about who He is. The only interest here is a wish to conclusively prove me wrong. That's a waste of time for all of us. The desire is to rip Biblical accounts to shreds, and to compare the Bible and God to ludicrous Spaghetti Monsters, is a forewarning to anyone today with a quietly encouraging and testifying that God is with us and that the quest for God is worthwhile. Well worthwhile.

You (and others) don't wish a stepping stone to begin your quest. You have a hunger to ruin mine. It cannot be ruined.

The only interest here is a wish to conclusively prove me wrong.

no, the interest is to prove your 4th century bible is wrong - no one is born a sinner, your life is in your own hands ...

“I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me”.

the above is your religion, it is a 4th century forgery you have no right to claim the events of the 1st century are the guide to your false religion.

the Almighty expects beings to accomplish admission by their deeds by becoming pure in their purpose to even be Judged, your religion condemns its followers to perish when their time has elapsed. the false christian bible is an albatross to humanity.

So then the universe is ruled by the Great Spaghetti Monster and his antipasto minions. Why not?

What have you shown about your theories? Nothing. Show me something, ANYTHING, like, what kind of experience do you consider an interaction with god, and why? And try to make some sense, like, tie it all together in some reasonably plausible way. Because right now, you've shown nothing for me to connect the dots and maybe say "hey, I see where she's coming from, maybe she has something"...

I have no "theories". That is why--as you note--I have not shown anything about "theories."

What, exactly, do you want me to show you?

From the beginning I have recommended in persevering in your own search for God. I've said that Bible accounts testify to His existence, and I, too, have had life experiences confirming the existence of God.

This is my very simple statement: Persevere in your quest for God.

I've given suggestions that might prove helpful: Look for God in tiny, quiet events, even silence. Do not try to make tests for God. Instead of trying to find a God that meets your expectations of what a God should be, be open to God revealing Himself to you.

My assessment of this conversation (including others in the thread as well) is that there is no interest in taking on the quest of finding God and discovering something about who He is. The only interest here is a wish to conclusively prove me wrong. That's a waste of time for all of us. The desire is to rip Biblical accounts to shreds, and to compare the Bible and God to ludicrous Spaghetti Monsters, is a forewarning to anyone today with a quietly encouraging and testifying that God is with us and that the quest for God is worthwhile. Well worthwhile.

You (and others) don't wish a stepping stone to begin your quest. You have a hunger to ruin mine. It cannot be ruined.
You have nothing except personal fantasies. The bible is a load of made up stuff, otherwise, how did Noah get kangaroos from Australia and back again afterwards?
I, unlike you, are on an actual quest to find god. And personal delusions aren't valid, just the real thing. Good luck in your fantasy world, if I ever find the real thing I'll be happy to let you know what god actually is about.

Forum List

Back