USMB Coffee Shop IV

I'm concerned about Daisy the Mutt. Ever since Sunday afternoon, she has refused to put any weight on her left rear leg. She limps around Pimplebutt and looks absolutely pitiful. When I put her outside, she walks around on her front paws exclusively. I called the Veterinarian's office and made an appointment for he tomorrow at 10:30. Mom, meanwhile, implored me to call the Vet back and explain that this is an emergency. Daisy is not bleeding, she's awake and ready to lick out any bowl that had contained ice cream. It's not an emergency by any stretch except Mom's.

But, you're long over due for a story. Back in the mid 1980s I lived in sunny Sarasota, Florida. While it is truly a beautiful place, it's not for me. I need the change of seasons to remain sane. I remember Christmastime there when they would light up the palm trees in red and green floodlights. Yuck! Christmas there to me was as Christmas must be for a Hindu.

I was relatively fresh out of The Ohio State University and embarking on my career as an engineer. My first assignment was to gather topographical data on a 5,000 acre plot of land that was to be developed into 36 holes of golf and luxury homes. But when I first saw it, it was nothing more than billiard table flat ground with scrub palms, live oaks and wild boar.

One lunchtime, I took my seat on the tailgate of the pickup truck we were using as a survey vehicle. I opened my lunch and the newspaper and partook of both. A little background information. My real first name is Scott, not Nosmo. This is germane to the story as you will see later on.

One of the fellows on the survey crew was named Jim. Jim was a very pleasant guy, but he was also profoundly deaf. He sported hearing aids in both ears and suffered from a severe speech impediment. His "s" sounds came out like "Ds". Jim was from Daginaw Micdigan.

Jim wandered off into the scrub while I ate and read the paper. About five minutes later I heard Jim call out "Hey Dot!" "What is it Jim?" I answered.

"Ya got any dope?" he called to me.

"Dope?!? What would I have any dope out here for?"

Jim emerged from the cover of the scrub palms, lifted his left hand to the sky and said "'Cause I got dit on my hand!"

Great story, but so sorry about Daisy, Nosmo. Sometimes they get a sticker so deeply embedded you can't see or feel it but it causes them pain. Hopefully the vet will figure that out. Our daughter's Beagle/pug mix somehow injured her back some months ago causing her to lose function in both back legs. The vet was able to relieve her pain but not able to fix the problem so she could walk. So daughter has been give her physical therapy, moves her around in a baby stroller, and has a little 'wheel chair' so the dog can propel herself using her front legs but it is still a massive chore taking care of this dog all these many many weeks. The dog is too heavy to use only her front legs or even drag herself very far without benefit of her rear end wheel chair.

So daughter posted on Facebook a little while ago that Snooky had supported herself on her back legs for six whole second before she gradually sunk back to the floor. That's a first. We really expected that the outcome for this was to put the dog down, but they didn't give up on her. And it looks like she may make it back after all.

And we had to have both back knees replace on our Lhasa/Keeshound mix but that was accomplished successfully and he was as good as new.
Do you happen to have a pool or jacuzzi? Water therapy is used for dogs that can't use their back legs to strenthen muslces and whatnot. And the warmth does wonders too.

11825771_885613201474621_5783067967798373617_n.jpg

So I decided to try Zorin OS on this PC. It is supposed to be very close to Windows in the desktop look and function, but it still is described as a stable Linux OS. I tried to use the Vista shrink function to create a new partition and it tells me I have 5 megs of free space. 5 megs! I have 118 gigs free on this HD. I'm running a defrag with a program called Auslogics now hoping it will free up space at the end of the drive and allow me to create a reasonable partition. Damn you, annoying PC stuff! :p
Careful loading any Auslogic software on you system, they are one of the worst for adding other unwanted software, specifically Ask. Once loaded Ask is a major pain to get rid of, it will hijack your browser and not let you use any other search engine.
Zorin OS is a great operating system but doesn't have the community or software choices Ubuntu, Mint and Fedora/RedHat have. Had it on an old computer that I eventually got rid of.

Free partition managers;
15 Best Free Partitioning Software To Manage Partitions

Auslogic did the defrag and it gave me an extra 21G of space. I am now shrinking my drive. I don't know how long it will take, will probably end up leaving it going overnight and try loading Zorin tomorrow to see how I like it (assuming my PC will reboot :lol:)
If you want an easy transition from windows, I'd try Kubuntu. The install will likely figure partition size for you once you've defragged your windows partition. You can even run it from the CD without installing, though it will run a good deal slower

I'm concerned about Daisy the Mutt. Ever since Sunday afternoon, she has refused to put any weight on her left rear leg. She limps around Pimplebutt and looks absolutely pitiful. When I put her outside, she walks around on her front paws exclusively. I called the Veterinarian's office and made an appointment for he tomorrow at 10:30. Mom, meanwhile, implored me to call the Vet back and explain that this is an emergency. Daisy is not bleeding, she's awake and ready to lick out any bowl that had contained ice cream. It's not an emergency by any stretch except Mom's.

But, you're long over due for a story. Back in the mid 1980s I lived in sunny Sarasota, Florida. While it is truly a beautiful place, it's not for me. I need the change of seasons to remain sane. I remember Christmastime there when they would light up the palm trees in red and green floodlights. Yuck! Christmas there to me was as Christmas must be for a Hindu.

I was relatively fresh out of The Ohio State University and embarking on my career as an engineer. My first assignment was to gather topographical data on a 5,000 acre plot of land that was to be developed into 36 holes of golf and luxury homes. But when I first saw it, it was nothing more than billiard table flat ground with scrub palms, live oaks and wild boar.

One lunchtime, I took my seat on the tailgate of the pickup truck we were using as a survey vehicle. I opened my lunch and the newspaper and partook of both. A little background information. My real first name is Scott, not Nosmo. This is germane to the story as you will see later on.

One of the fellows on the survey crew was named Jim. Jim was a very pleasant guy, but he was also profoundly deaf. He sported hearing aids in both ears and suffered from a severe speech impediment. His "s" sounds came out like "Ds". Jim was from Daginaw Micdigan.

Jim wandered off into the scrub while I ate and read the paper. About five minutes later I heard Jim call out "Hey Dot!" "What is it Jim?" I answered.

"Ya got any dope?" he called to me.

"Dope?!? What would I have any dope out here for?"

Jim emerged from the cover of the scrub palms, lifted his left hand to the sky and said "'Cause I got dit on my hand!"

Great story, but so sorry about Daisy, Nosmo. Sometimes they get a sticker so deeply embedded you can't see or feel it but it causes them pain. Hopefully the vet will figure that out. Our daughter's Beagle/pug mix somehow injured her back some months ago causing her to lose function in both back legs. The vet was able to relieve her pain but not able to fix the problem so she could walk. So daughter has been give her physical therapy, moves her around in a baby stroller, and has a little 'wheel chair' so the dog can propel herself using her front legs but it is still a massive chore taking care of this dog all these many many weeks. The dog is too heavy to use only her front legs or even drag herself very far without benefit of her rear end wheel chair.

So daughter posted on Facebook a little while ago that Snooky had supported herself on her back legs for six whole second before she gradually sunk back to the floor. That's a first. We really expected that the outcome for this was to put the dog down, but they didn't give up on her. And it looks like she may make it back after all.

And we had to have both back knees replace on our Lhasa/Keeshound mix but that was accomplished successfully and he was as good as new.
Do you happen to have a pool or jacuzzi? Water therapy is used for dogs that can't use their back legs to strenthen muslces and whatnot. And the warmth does wonders too.

She has a pool in her house near Santa Cruz but is currently living near Monterey but they go to the beach pretty much every day or at least often. And they do some pool therapy too.

Well, it took 9.5 hours (that's what I get for using the Windows tool instead of a third party one) but I finally got my drive shrunk. Now I'm formatting the unallocated space so I can then put Linux on it (if my PC doesn't freeze when I reboot). Whee! Messing around with computers! :p

Well, it took 9.5 hours (that's what I get for using the Windows tool instead of a third party one) but I finally got my drive shrunk. Now I'm formatting the unallocated space so I can then put Linux on it (if my PC doesn't freeze when I reboot). Whee! Messing around with computers! :p

The shop just called, $30 to fix my computer. No stress and very little time involved, just saying.

Damn ! I am all flustered. I have had a telephone scammer bothering me. He pretended to be my service provider, but then started asking me questions. I guessed he was trying to make me change from my existing provider so I put the phone down. Then he ran again later and this time I got him to admit he was from another company and I put the phone down again. If he rings again I will tell him to F off.

Damn ! I am all flustered. I have had a telephone scammer bothering me. He pretended to be my service provider, but then started asking me questions. I guessed he was trying to make me change from my existing provider so I put the phone down. Then he ran again later and this time I got him to admit he was from another company and I put the phone down again. If he rings again I will tell him to F off.

You tell 'em! :321:

Lol. I don't like getting calls all the time from the same telemarketers either. Can't you block calls? Maybe tell them if they give you the option to block their calls, you'd think about it. :D

Ya need a national do-not-call registry.......

Ya need a national do-not-call registry.......

I was on that for a while but you have to sign up every year or something. I just keep forgetting to do that. :D

A quick update on Daisy the Mutt. After a thorough veterinarian exam including x-rays, it has been determined that Daisy has suffered a 'soft tissue injury'. A muscle pull perhaps.

Her recovery includes four weeks of rest (this is prescribed for a dog who sleeps 18 hours a day on a big green cushion the size of a toilet seat) and pain medication daily. Her nightly regimen of clowning around in the park, chasing squirrels and chipmunks and performing her famous 'Stick 'em up! Bang!" routine will be curtailed. Her regimen of constant rest will continue.

And the best news, I got off under $125 in vet bills!

She should be back in the pink by late September!

Boy it's REALLY cooled down up nort' here in Wiscaaansin. I love it.

So there I was, standing there in the pouring down rain at an afternoon auction yesterday, just for one thing, and boy did it pay off. I had read on the auction bill that there was a "chipper/shredder" to be sold, and when I got there and saw it, it looked like new. Come to find out it's only been used once, so it is virtually new. I did a little quick research with the Galaxy at the auction and saw that they go for around $550 new. So the bidding starts on it low and never really builds any steam. It quickly went to just me and one other person that didn't seem to enthused about bidding, so always bid as though you will NOT quit and they usually die out, even though my cousin, the auctioneer, did not want to give it up, aside from his pounding it trying to get more money for it, the bid ended with me at $170. He knew I was stealing it... LOL... YA WIN SOME, YA LOSE SOME, yesterday I won big time. Boy can I use this thing...

20150818_173804_zps7qzoooes.jpg

You tell 'em! :321:

Lol. I don't like getting calls all the time from the same telemarketers either. Can't you block calls? Maybe tell them if they give you the option to block their calls, you'd think about it. :D

I rang the number to find out who had called me, but his number was withheld so I can not block it.
What annoyed me was that he definitely tried to deceive me into believing he was my service provider, so as to get information that would allow him to change my account.

Forum List

Back