USMB Coffee Shop IV

Hi Folks..........Foxfyre is leading me thru a test run so I will know how to get in here to keep you up to date on her surgery. So far, so good!

Nice to finally meet Foxy's hubby!!!
last week when I made Maryland stuffed ham I burned the top of my foot when a hot piece of cabbage dropped on it after I took it out of the stock pot. Noticed a few days later that it was a serious (very small) burn then the next day it started looking green....... Okay, used my tried and true home remedy, applied a salt bandage before I went to bed and in the morning the infection was gone. :thup:

Oh my! :eek: Do you have diabetes or some kind of circulation issue?

Hi Folks..........Foxfyre is leading me thru a test run so I will know how to get in here to keep you up to date on her surgery. So far, so good!

Very nice to meet you Hombre.
Thank you so much for doing this for us.
We would have been on pins and needles, if we would have had to wait till after a week or more before she could post again on her own.
You will be in our prayers for both of you.

Sounds like Chris' nickname should be fast fingers. :)

I swear I have to relearn the keyboard everyday.

Chris makes a living with that keyboard. I have for a good deal of my life too. And if you want to get your work done quick, you get very fast fingers on the keyboard. :)

Chris makes a living with that keyboard. I have for a good deal of my life too. And if you want to get your work done quick, you get very fast fingers on the keyboard. :)

Once I get on a roll, I can type around 90 WPM. Of course, I have my bad days too though where I'm slower or the dictator is much more difficult, so it varies.

So, mom is fine. We went out for lunch too, and then I didn't feel like going back to work, so I used more of my PTO time today. I know, I'm a bad girl. :oops: Whenever I have to do something that messes with my schedule, I have a difficult time motivating myself. I don't know why.

I don't think there is a 'why' but I think we all feel that way to a certain extent. I'm curious though. Working from home are you paid by the hour and are expected to keep a set schedule? Or are you paid by the pieces of work that you do and can do that at any point in a 24 hours period so long as you meet a deadline?

I get paid by lines typed. They have a "formula" to figure that all out, such as so many characters typed is equal to a line, so it's not really an ACTUAL line of text but what they define as a line of text. I think, though I'm not entirely sure, that 25 characters is equal to a line of text. However, spaces and returns do not count. :)

As far as my schedule goes, I can set my own hours and change them whenever I want, but I do have to stick to my agreed upon schedule. I can do split shifts though and I can also take someone else's schedule if they are going to be out. It's a little complicated and hard to explain. Lol.

I just wondered. During my time doing medical transcription, among other things, many years ago, I HAD to go to the hospital to do it so I had a 7 to 3 pm job but of course I was there when they needed a report STAT. And of course somebody always needed to be around to do those rush reports. But when I was working at home, the only time pressure I had was getting reports to our clients in a timely manner, so sometimes I would be writing reports at dawn, sometimes all during the day, sometimes late into the night or the wee hours of the morning. Back when I was younger with more stamina, I would pull an occasional all nighter to get a number of reports done, but that was usually because I had procrastinated earlier.

I presume you are guaranteed so much work or so much in wages if there isn't enough work? But otherwise you earn according to the work you put out? I would like that a lot. And it sounds like you do okay since you continue to do it.

Last edited:
So, mom is fine. We went out for lunch too, and then I didn't feel like going back to work, so I used more of my PTO time today. I know, I'm a bad girl. :oops: Whenever I have to do something that messes with my schedule, I have a difficult time motivating myself. I don't know why.

I don't think there is a 'why' but I think we all feel that way to a certain extent. I'm curious though. Working from home are you paid by the hour and are expected to keep a set schedule? Or are you paid by the pieces of work that you do and can do that at any point in a 24 hours period so long as you meet a deadline?

I get paid by lines typed. They have a "formula" to figure that all out, such as so many characters typed is equal to a line, so it's not really an ACTUAL line of text but what they define as a line of text. I think, though I'm not entirely sure, that 25 characters is equal to a line of text. However, spaces and returns do not count. :)

As far as my schedule goes, I can set my own hours and change them whenever I want, but I do have to stick to my agreed upon schedule. I can do split shifts though and I can also take someone else's schedule if they are going to be out. It's a little complicated and hard to explain. Lol.

I just wondered. During my time doing medical transcription, among other things, many years ago, I HAD to go to the hospital to do it so I had a 7 to 3 pm job but of course I was there when they needed a report STAT. And of course somebody always needed to be around to do those rush reports. But when I was working to home, the only time pressure I had was getting reports to our clients in a timely manner, so sometimes I would be writing reports at dawn, sometimes all during the day, sometimes late into the night or the wee hours of the morning. Back when I was younger with more stamina, I would pull an occasional all nighter to get a number of reports done, but that was usually because I had procrastinated earlier.

I presume you are guaranteed so much work or so much in wages if there isn't enough work? But otherwise you earn according to the work you put out? I would like that a lot. And it sounds like you do okay since you continue to do it.

Everything is done online and all the work is put into a pool. Normally there is plenty of work. Sometimes there are slow times though. I can choose to work in the middle of night if I want, but I really don't want to do that. Lol. :D

To be honest, I'm totally burnt out. I hate this job now. Lol. Really having a difficult time getting motivated to do this every day. That was why I was looking for something else, but there isn't a whole lot out there, and I have limitations considering I've been doing the same job for YEARS now.

Once I get on a roll, I can type around 90 WPM. Of course, I have my bad days too though where I'm slower or the dictator is much more difficult, so it varies.

I can imagine. It took me forever to be able hear all the words from our chief radiologist who had a heavy Boston accent--that would be a piece of cake for you :)--and when our Iranian doctor came in, he also had a heavy accent that took awhile. I left before Dr. Obando arrived from Brazil so I didn't have to figure out a Portuguese accent. But these days with so many foreign born doctors, I can believe you get some difficult ones. But 90 wpm is really good. I doubt I did that well doing medical transcription but I used to be able to do that or better doing straight text. You probably do too.

Happy Wednesday everybody.
Good Luck and best wishes for tomorrow's surgery Foxfyre. :)

todays smile

a-funny-animals-18.jpg

Nice to finally meet Foxy's hubby!!!
last week when I made Maryland stuffed ham I burned the top of my foot when a hot piece of cabbage dropped on it after I took it out of the stock pot. Noticed a few days later that it was a serious (very small) burn then the next day it started looking green....... Okay, used my tried and true home remedy, applied a salt bandage before I went to bed and in the morning the infection was gone. :thup:

Oh my! :eek: Do you have diabetes or some kind of circulation issue?
Yeah, the problem is my blood circulates........ :eusa_whistle:
No, I don't have either problem.

I can imagine. It took me forever to be able hear all the words from our chief radiologist who had a heavy Boston accent--that would be a piece of cake for you :)--and when our Iranian doctor came in, he also had a heavy accent that took awhile. I left before Dr. Obando arrived from Brazil so I didn't have to figure out a Portuguese accent. But these days with so many foreign born doctors, I can believe you get some difficult ones. But 90 wpm is really good. I doubt I did that well doing medical transcription but I used to be able to do that or better doing straight text. You probably do too.

Takes me a while to get used to a doctor with a thick accent, but once I get used to how he enunciates, it's a piece of cake! :D I also do some editing, and they pay less for that, so my paycheck REALLY varies.

I just wondered. During my time doing medical transcription, among other things, many years ago, I HAD to go to the hospital to do it so I had a 7 to 3 pm job but of course I was there when they needed a report STAT. And of course somebody always needed to be around to do those rush reports. But when I was working to home, the only time pressure I had was getting reports to our clients in a timely manner, so sometimes I would be writing reports at dawn, sometimes all during the day, sometimes late into the night or the wee hours of the morning. Back when I was younger with more stamina, I would pull an occasional all nighter to get a number of reports done, but that was usually because I had procrastinated earlier.

Everything is done online and all the work is put into a pool. Normally there is plenty of work. Sometimes there are slow times though. I can choose to work in the middle of night if I want, but I really don't want to do that. Lol. :D

To be honest, I'm totally burnt out. I hate this job now. Lol. Really having a difficult time getting motivated to do this every day. That was why I was looking for something else, but there isn't a whole lot out there, and I have limitations considering I've been doing the same job for YEARS now.

I can appreciate that and as you've told us, you've been looking for awhile. And just looking at your avatar and how personable you are on line, I can see how you would really enjoy a more social work environment. You're right there isn't a whole lot out there, but don't; give up. You might want to join LINKED IN or other groups like that (I am a member) to help with networking. Chances are you need to be open to something that would include your way above average keyboard skills, but do keep your eyes and ears open for that great job that is out there somewhere.

Takes me a while to get used to a doctor with a thick accent, but once I get used to how he enunciates, it's a piece of cake! :D I also do some editing, and they pay less for that, so my paycheck REALLY varies.
Could you repeat that a little slower, I'm having trouble understanding your accent.........

I can appreciate that and as you've told us, you've been looking for awhile. And just looking at your avatar and how personable you are on line, I can see how you would really enjoy a more social work environment. You're right there isn't a whole lot out there, but don't; give up. You might want to join LINKED IN or other groups like that (I am a member) to help with networking. Chances are you need to be open to something that would include your way above average keyboard skills, but do keep your eyes and ears open for that great job that is out there somewhere.

You are such a sweetheart! Thanks for the advice. I do have my resume out there. I've gotten a few calls about it, but nothing has panned out as of it. Either I've been unqualified, or the job wasn't an appropriate fit for me, but I haven't given up. I'm actually planning on searching at Indeed.com today. I'm going to send out some resumes and hopefully someone will get back to me.

It's really hard out there now though. A lot of jobs are only temporary or part-time too. I really do kind of need a full-time job unless the pay is exceptional. Lol. :D

Could you repeat that a little slower, I'm having trouble understanding your accent.........

Well I am from Massachusetts. Define these:

1. Khakis.

2. Piastias. :D

I am a huge Trekkie fan. Can practically speak Klingon. I still prefer the original series though I also enjoyed the Next Generation. But anything after that just didn't have the same something those two series did.

1. Khakis.

Car keys and what?

1. Khakis.

Okay. I'll tell you. :D

1. Khakis = car keys.

2. Piastias = pierced ears.

1. Khakis.

Car keys and what?

Piastias or pearced ears! :lol: You might have to say it a couple of times before it comes to you though. Piastias, and think of a MA accent.

Forum List

Back