USMB Coffee Shop IV

Sounds like Chris' nickname should be fast fingers. :)

I swear I have to relearn the keyboard everyday.

I am a huge Trekkie fan. Can practically speak Klingon. I still prefer the original series though I also enjoyed the Next Generation. But anything after that just didn't have the same something those two series did.

I pick up on little funny parts like that one, it stuck with me for some reason.

Chris makes a living with that keyboard. I have for a good deal of my life too. And if you want to get your work done quick, you get very fast fingers on the keyboard. :)

Once I get on a roll, I can type around 90 WPM. Of course, I have my bad days too though where I'm slower or the dictator is much more difficult, so it varies.

I can imagine. It took me forever to be able hear all the words from our chief radiologist who had a heavy Boston accent--that would be a piece of cake for you :)--and when our Iranian doctor came in, he also had a heavy accent that took awhile. I left before Dr. Obando arrived from Brazil so I didn't have to figure out a Portuguese accent. But these days with so many foreign born doctors, I can believe you get some difficult ones. But 90 wpm is really good. I doubt I did that well doing medical transcription but I used to be able to do that or better doing straight text. You probably do too.

Takes me a while to get used to a doctor with a thick accent, but once I get used to how he enunciates, it's a piece of cake! :D I also do some editing, and they pay less for that, so my paycheck REALLY varies.
Could you repeat that a little slower, I'm having trouble understanding your accent.........

Well I am from Massachusetts. Define these:

1. Khakis.

2. Piastias. :D
I lived in Buzzards Bay when JFK was president..........

Once I get on a roll, I can type around 90 WPM. Of course, I have my bad days too though where I'm slower or the dictator is much more difficult, so it varies.

I can imagine. It took me forever to be able hear all the words from our chief radiologist who had a heavy Boston accent--that would be a piece of cake for you :)--and when our Iranian doctor came in, he also had a heavy accent that took awhile. I left before Dr. Obando arrived from Brazil so I didn't have to figure out a Portuguese accent. But these days with so many foreign born doctors, I can believe you get some difficult ones. But 90 wpm is really good. I doubt I did that well doing medical transcription but I used to be able to do that or better doing straight text. You probably do too.

Takes me a while to get used to a doctor with a thick accent, but once I get used to how he enunciates, it's a piece of cake! :D I also do some editing, and they pay less for that, so my paycheck REALLY varies.
Could you repeat that a little slower, I'm having trouble understanding your accent.........

1. Khakis.

Oh, then you are familiar with how we talk around here. :p It really depends on whereabouts you live though. I do have a New England accent, but it is not as bad as some areas. It seems the closer you get to Boston, the worse the accents get. Lol.

I am a huge Trekkie fan. Can practically speak Klingon. I still prefer the original series though I also enjoyed the Next Generation. But anything after that just didn't have the same something those two series did.

Hey fellow Trekkie fan.
I also am a fan of the original series. :)
tugh blplvchoHjaj !

1. Khakis.

Oh, then you are familiar with how we talk around here. :p It really depends on whereabouts you live though. I do have a New England accent, but it is not as bad as some areas. It seems the closer you get to Boston, the worse the accents get. Lol.
Yup..... Think I was in 4th grade, it's where I learned how to ride a 2 wheeler, the bike was initially too big for me so to stop I would just jump off..... I was allergic to food coloring at the time (everything had food coloring in it) and was having a serious reaction and contracted the mumps at the same time...... My mom said she couldn't even see my eyes......... :lol:

Happy Wednesday everybody.
Good Luck and best wishes for tomorrow's surgery Foxfyre. :)

todays smile

a-funny-animals-18.jpg

Luna is wise.

1. Khakis.

Yup..... Think I was in 4th grade, it's where I learned how to ride a 2 wheeler, the bike was initially too big for me so to stop I would just jump off..... I was allergic to food coloring at the time (everything had food coloring in it) and was having a serious reaction and contracted the mumps at the same time...... My mom said she couldn't even see my eyes......... :lol:

Well that sounds like a terrible experience. Poor baby! :(

1. Khakis.

honestly I don't really remember it very well just as I don't remember the few times my parents had to take me to the hospital because I swelled up so much I couldn't breath. Buzzards Bay was also where I "grew out of" the allergy. Mass was fun for me at that age, my parents hated it because every time JFK would come home it would create a traffic nightmare.......

1. Khakis.

honestly I don't really remember it very well just as I don't remember the few times my parents had to take me to the hospital because I swelled up so much I couldn't breath. Buzzards Bay was also where I "grew out of" the allergy. Mass was fun for me at that age, my parents hated it because every time JFK would come home it would create a traffic nightmare.......

One time a couple/few years back, I had planned on going to Martha's Vineyard for the day, and I had totally forgotten Obama was going to be there. Needless to say, I cancelled those plans. Lol. I do not like to deal with huge crowds. :) I feel very uncomfortable in big crowds of people. I feel almost claustrophobic. Probably has something to do with being short and only being able to see everyone's butts and backs! :lol:

One time a couple/few years back, I had planned on going to Martha's Vineyard for the day, and I had totally forgotten Obama was going to be there. Needless to say, I cancelled those plans. Lol. I do not like to deal with huge crowds. :) I feel very uncomfortable in big crowds of people. I feel almost claustrophobic. Probably has something to do with being short and only being able to see everyone's butts and backs! :lol:
I don't get claustrophobic in crowds I just hate being around so many people so lost in their own little worlds to pay attention to anyone around them, I start feeling homicidal........ :lol:

The folks here in Albuquerque hold a mostly favorable view of our former Governor Gary Johnson but wondered whether we really would want him to be elected President just because he would almost certainly come home a lot. So we would have the airport delays and traffic snarls that we experience when other presidential types come to town.

Chris makes a living with that keyboard. I have for a good deal of my life too. And if you want to get your work done quick, you get very fast fingers on the keyboard. :)

When I was doing data entry our typing speed was in keystrokes per hour for some reason. I may have gotten a WPM number when I was at the post office.....I think I got up to 100 WPM when I was in the zone, so to speak. It's been close to a decade now since I did that, so I'm not sure. :p

Speaking of accents, you don't survive in little Texas New Mexico or parts of Texas if you don't understand the language:

BARD - "to borrow."
Usage: "My brother bard my pickup truck."

JAWJUH - Georgia
Usage: "My brother from Jawjah bard my pickup truck."

MUNTS - A calendar division.
Usage: "My brother from Jawjuh bard my pickup truck, and I aint herd from him in munts."

IGNERT - dumb as a rock
Usage: "Them N-C-TWO-A boys sure are ignert!"

RANCH - A tool or verb.
Usage: "I think I left my ranch in the back of that pickup truck my brother from Jawjuh
bard a few munts ago." I ranched it right out of his hands.

ALL - A petroleum-based lubricant.
Usage: "I sure hope my brother from Jawjuh puts all in my pickup truck."

FAR - A conflagration.
Usage: "If my brother from Jawjuh doesn't change the all in my pickup truck, that things
gonna catch far."

BAHS - A supervisor.
Usage: "If you don't stop reading these Southern words and git back to work, your bahs is
gonna far you!"

TAR - A rubber wheel.
Usage: "Gee, I hope that brother of mine from Jawjuh doesn't git a flat tar in my pickup
truck."

TIRE -. A tall monument.
Usage: "Lord willing and the creeks don't rise, I sure do hope to see that Eiffel Tire in
Paris sometime."

HOT - A blood-pumping organ.
HOD - Not easy.
Usage: "A broken hot is hod to fix."

RETARD - To stop working.
Usage: "My granpaw retard at age 65."

TARRED - Exhausted.
Usage: "I just flew in from Hot-lanta, and boy my arms are tarred."

RATS - Entitled power or privilege.
Usage: "We Southerners are willing to fight for out rats."

LOT - Luminescent.
Usage: "I dream of Jeanie in the lot-brown hair."

FARN - Not local.
Usage: "I cudnt unnerstand a wurd he sed ... must be from some farn country."

DID - Not alive.
Usage: "He's did, Jim."

EAR - A colorless, odorless gas (unless you are in LA).
Usage: "He can't breathe ... give 'em some ear!"

BOB WAR - A sharp, twisted cable.
Usage: "Boy, stay away from that bob war fence."

JU-HERE - a question.
Usage: "Juhere that former Dallas Cowboys' coach Jimmy Johnson recently toured the
University of Alabama?"

HAZE - a contraction.
Usage: "Is Bubba smart?" "Nah ... haze ignert."

SEED - past tense.
JEW - question.
VIEW - contraction: verb and pronoun.
Usage: "I ain't never seed New York City ... view?"
Usage: I went to New York City. Jew go too?

HEAVY DEW - phrase. A request for action.
Usage: "Kin I heavy dew me a favor?"

GUMMIT - An often-closed bureaucratic institution.
Usage: "Great ... ANOTHER gummit shutdown!

Speaking of accents, you don't survive in little Texas New Mexico or parts of Texas if you don't understand the language:

BARD - "to borrow."
Usage: "My brother bard my pickup truck."

JAWJUH - Georgia
Usage: "My brother from Jawjah bard my pickup truck."

MUNTS - A calendar division.
Usage: "My brother from Jawjuh bard my pickup truck, and I aint herd from him in munts."

IGNERT - dumb as a rock
Usage: "Them N-C-TWO-A boys sure are ignert!"

RANCH - A tool or verb.
Usage: "I think I left my ranch in the back of that pickup truck my brother from Jawjuh
bard a few munts ago." I ranched it right out of his hands.

ALL - A petroleum-based lubricant.
Usage: "I sure hope my brother from Jawjuh puts all in my pickup truck."

FAR - A conflagration.
Usage: "If my brother from Jawjuh doesn't change the all in my pickup truck, that things
gonna catch far."

BAHS - A supervisor.
Usage: "If you don't stop reading these Southern words and git back to work, your bahs is
gonna far you!"

TAR - A rubber wheel.
Usage: "Gee, I hope that brother of mine from Jawjuh doesn't git a flat tar in my pickup
truck."

TIRE -. A tall monument.
Usage: "Lord willing and the creeks don't rise, I sure do hope to see that Eiffel Tire in
Paris sometime."

HOT - A blood-pumping organ.
HOD - Not easy.
Usage: "A broken hot is hod to fix."

RETARD - To stop working.
Usage: "My granpaw retard at age 65."

TARRED - Exhausted.
Usage: "I just flew in from Hot-lanta, and boy my arms are tarred."

RATS - Entitled power or privilege.
Usage: "We Southerners are willing to fight for out rats."

LOT - Luminescent.
Usage: "I dream of Jeanie in the lot-brown hair."

FARN - Not local.
Usage: "I cudnt unnerstand a wurd he sed ... must be from some farn country."

DID - Not alive.
Usage: "He's did, Jim."

EAR - A colorless, odorless gas (unless you are in LA).
Usage: "He can't breathe ... give 'em some ear!"

BOB WAR - A sharp, twisted cable.
Usage: "Boy, stay away from that bob war fence."

JU-HERE - a question.
Usage: "Juhere that former Dallas Cowboys' coach Jimmy Johnson recently toured the
University of Alabama?"

HAZE - a contraction.
Usage: "Is Bubba smart?" "Nah ... haze ignert."

SEED - past tense.
JEW - question.
VIEW - contraction: verb and pronoun.
Usage: "I ain't never seed New York City ... view?"
Usage: I went to New York City. Jew go too?

HEAVY DEW - phrase. A request for action.
Usage: "Kin I heavy dew me a favor?"

GUMMIT - An often-closed bureaucratic institution.
Usage: "Great ... ANOTHER gummit shutdown!
We talks kinda lak dat heya.

So strange and a bit scary earlier....I heard a loud wailing noise from outside. I thought it might be a warning siren but didn't know what it might be for. A little while after that, I took the dogs out. Again, loud wailing noise. It goes on for a few seconds, then a recorded voice says that there is a tornado warning and everyone should take cover. I find this pretty strange considering it is a sunny, almost cloudless and windless day. I take the dogs in and check a few weather sites; nothing showing for tornadoes here or really anywhere in the country. The only warning I see for my area is an air-quality warning for Atlanta.

I wonder if it was a test of the system or if someone is going to be very fired after today? :lol:

So strange and a bit scary earlier....I heard a loud wailing noise from outside. I thought it might be a warning siren but didn't know what it might be for. A little while after that, I took the dogs out. Again, loud wailing noise. It goes on for a few seconds, then a recorded voice says that there is a tornado warning and everyone should take cover. I find this pretty strange considering it is a sunny, almost cloudless and windless day. I take the dogs in and check a few weather sites; nothing showing for tornadoes here or really anywhere in the country. The only warning I see for my area is an air-quality warning for Atlanta.

I wonder if it was a test of the system or if someone is going to be very fired after today? :lol:

Who knows--some of these things you never do get an answer to. I was leading a study group at our church one early evening and it was a bit cloudy, so when we heard the tornado siren I asked my group if everybody had somebody with their kids? They all did and I suggested we go across the parking lot to the home and basement of one of the members. When we stepped outside, no wind, no storm, no stormy sky--just a smooth light gray overcast with no turbulence in it. And we then realized that what we had heard was the neighbors power saw across the street. Just another one of those lessons that things are not always as they seem.

I ordered the parts for a new PC a little while ago. With no monitor it cost me about $475. I'm going to try running it with Linux Mint and not bother with Windows at all. This PC will become my secondary (as long as it holds out) and the laptop will be semi-retired, I'll keep it as an emergency backup. I decided to get another full sized case and so ended up rearranging my room to accommodate 2 very large cases. I doubt I really need them, but I've had some fairly bad issues with overheating PCs in the past and so I'm paranoid about it. I like a spacious PC with lots of air flow. :p

I got parts from 3 different sources. Amazon, strangely, is listing the estimated time of arrival at Sep 28 - Oct 2. That has to be some sort of error, the shipping is supposed to be 5-8 business days. Of course, my last order from Amazon had a somewhat lengthy shipping date estimate and it ended up arriving extremely quickly, I'll hope for something similar here. :)

Forum List

Back