USMB Coffee Shop IV

Well, my first day of my new job was orientation. Then some actual training yesterday. I'm beat though! :D Things will be more normalized when I finish my training in about two weeks. It's going to take so long because they need to train me on every shift. Night shifts are different than day shifts, with different protocols because supervisors may not be immediately available. Anyway, things will be more calm after training. Once I'm done with the training period, it's only going to be per diem.

Really to early to say what the new meds will do for me, but the whole quit smoking thing is going really well for my general health
I was prescribed Advair for COPD and it seemed effective up to a point. I tries a couple others and found the Advair to be the best for me. The first month, it was $80. A bit high, but if I can breathe...
The next month, it was $289 and the others were even more.
So, one day last week, A Humana rep calls, more or less trying to get me to commit to remain in their program.
Most of what she had was inappropriate or irrelevant to my care, but she mentioned the Humana online pharmacy.
She did a bit of research and was able give me a 3 month supply of the Advair for $125.
If any of you have an expensive monthly medication, I would suggest you see if your part B provider has a pharmacy.
I had my RX 48 hours after placing my order.

Good luck, Ernie! It's going to be worth the effort, I'm sure, once you get over these rough spots. :)

Good morning all. I was just looking at this video and thinking what a neat alternative to the more complicated means of getting away from it all without giving up the comforts of home. They didn't mention a price tag for this though:

Yeah.....that doesn't have the comforts of home. :p Space is one of the comforts of home!

Also, that seems way too claustrophobic for me. :)

The space is the environment you put it in though. I like it because it is little and would be easy to tow, would not require a lot of set up, and you could put it anywhere to get out of the elements, sleep warm and dry, or fix breakfast when it is raining and the wood is wet.

It would make a good camper! :) Better than a tent!

Well, my first day of my new job was orientation. Then some actual training yesterday. I'm beat though! :D Things will be more normalized when I finish my training in about two weeks. It's going to take so long because they need to train me on every shift. Night shifts are different than day shifts, with different protocols because supervisors may not be immediately available. Anyway, things will be more calm after training. Once I'm done with the training period, it's only going to be per diem.

I always hated training on a new job. There are new terms/language to learn along with procedures/protocol and I hate feeling uncertain, not understanding anything, and not being in control. And I agree that it can be exhausting, especially if you are the perfectionist type and demand a lot from yourself. But we get through it and, if it turns out to be a job we love, it is definitely worth it. Again I hope this new job for you turns out to be something you love and will work into a permanent change for you if that is what you want.

Morning !

Thursday's smile :)

01.jpg

A week out from post op and the wife is doing fine. Went to the docs today for first follow up, she used a cane instead of the walker, was impatient with it. The doc was pleasantly pleased she was on a cane already but when we got home the wife admitted she pushed it a little too fast and over did it. She's taking a nap now.
My blood pressure is better but still a little wonky, I see my primary next Tuesday so hopefully we'll figure out what's going on there. :thup:

Really to early to say what the new meds will do for me, but the whole quit smoking thing is going really well for my general health
I was prescribed Advair for COPD and it seemed effective up to a point. I tries a couple others and found the Advair to be the best for me. The first month, it was $80. A bit high, but if I can breathe...
So, one day last week, A Humana rep calls, more or less trying to get me to commit to remain in their program.
Most of what she had was inappropriate or irrelevant to my care, but she mentioned the Humana online pharmacy.
She did a bit of research and was able give me a 3 month supply of the Advair for $125.
If any of you have an expensive monthly medication, I would suggest you see if your part B provider has a pharmacy.

Good luck, Ernie! It's going to be worth the effort, I'm sure, once you get over these rough spots. :)
It's already worth the effort. My lungs are 99% better and even have more capacity than a month ago. I have this breathing thing that measures lung capacity. I blow in a tube ans a foam float rises to measure capacity in liters. In I month, I've gone from 2.5 liters to 4 liters. I'm approaching pretty much normal for someone my size.

It's already worth the effort. My lungs are 99% better and even have more capacity than a month ago. I have this breathing thing that measures lung capacity. I blow in a tube ans a foam float rises to measure capacity in liters. In I month, I've gone from 2.5 liters to 4 liters. I'm approaching pretty much normal for someone my size.
Actually a normal male my size would have a vital capacity of 3.95 liters and that would decrease by age until when 2.85 liters. you get as old as me, you can expect.
I guess I'm doing GREAT.

People get sick of xmas cuz they start pushing it on us before Halloween is even here. So as usual...I am burned out on it again.

I always hated training on a new job. There are new terms/language to learn along with procedures/protocol and I hate feeling uncertain, not understanding anything, and not being in control. And I agree that it can be exhausting, especially if you are the perfectionist type and demand a lot from yourself. But we get through it and, if it turns out to be a job we love, it is definitely worth it. Again I hope this new job for you turns out to be something you love and will work into a permanent change for you if that is what you want.

Thanks Foxy! :) Doing okay, it's just hectic right now because I have to go in every day for my training period. Once that is done, I will be "on call," so it's going to be a lot easier.

Actually the cash back on our credit card is financing Christmas for us this year, but sorry. There wasn't quite enough in the kitty to take care of us and you too. :)

And we are getting close to being done. A few more orders to come in. One or two fill in gifts still to order and we're done. I'm finding that the way not to burn out on Christmas is not fight it. Just do it--do it early--and then relax and enjoy the season.

I finished my Christmas shopping today, now I am wondering what to get next year. I am completely out of ideas.
I used to buy all my presents on a TV shopping channel called bid TV, but it went bust.

I finished my Christmas shopping today, now I am wondering what to get next year. I am completely out of ideas.
I used to buy all my presents on a TV shopping channel called bid TV, but it went bust.

Get catalogues from various variety places. You'll see plenty of neat ideas you hadn't thought of. We got a new cataglogue for some reason today from an outfit called Bits and Pieces. Some super neat and affordable stuff in it--lots of unique and unusual ideas.

The wind and rain have conspired to strip the last of the autumn leaves from the trees. All but the oaks, which will be denuded during the first snowfall. So now the ground is carpeted with gold and russet and brown leaves sweetly decaying and giving off the aroma of autumn. This coming weekend will have the sounds of the last passes of lawn mowers trimming the grass and vacuuming up the leaves.

It used to be my job to rake and mow the lawn of my elderly uncle Alex, pronounced with the Scottish brough "Elec". He lived a few blocks from the Big House and had the one yard that rivaled ours as the biggest in the neighborhood. But Uncle Alex would never concede to a pick up football game or a lively session of Red Rover played in his yard. No, Uncle Alex's yard was strictly there so I would mow and rake it.

Alex was never big on technical innovations. His idea of high tech was a color television, without remote control or cable. Similarly, his lawn mower was all human powered. An old fashioned reel mower that required sharpening the four spiral blades and the horizontal blade under the reel. There was no riding mower to stear around his vast lawn to collect the leaves either. That was done by me and a leaf rake.

In my sixteenth year I had two wisdom teeth extracted in October. The dentist gave me Tylenol for any residual pain. Well, there was plenty of residual pain I can tell you! And there was the job of cleaning Uncle Alex's lawn for the last time in the autumn.

I tried to put on the old, dried up leather gloves Alex had in the basement. But, like O.J. Simpson, they didn't fit and promised to be more of an obstruction to my work than a real aid.

Hopped up on prescription Tylenol, I started to mow and rake. The job always took at least four hours to complete. At the end of the day, I felt no discomfort at all, but what 16 year old feels discomfort? You have to hit your mid 40s before that becomes an unwelcome sensation, and by your late 50s, it's just another part of life. I looked at the palms of my hands. They were as red a Maine lobster on a plate. Had I had drawn butter, it would have been hard to tell the difference between my palms and a delectable piece of shellfish.

But the drugs had kicked in and I went to school the next day. By then, the soothing effect of all that acetaminophen had run its course and I was hard pressed to carry anything!

And the aroma of the sweetly decaying leaves set up shop in my sinuses, just as it has today.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back