Walmart Doing Away With Cashiers

I rarely ever set foot in a Walmart, but I went into one the other day because of convenience. They no longer have any cashiers left. The entire check out line has been converted to self check out. Apparently, this is being done all over the country because a friend of mine in Ohio just posted about it on social media.

Here is the result of your $15 an hour for unskilled labor. Enjoy.

What, you think $15 an hour had anything to do with this? Most supermarkets down here have had self-checkout for years. They still have cashiers too, but are slowly being phased out. Has nothing to do with hourly rate..you could be paying cashiers $8 an hour and they would still be replaced eventually. Automation is here to stay.

The reason I like the real cashiers is that I like to see people gainfully employed.
When I see the kiosks, I always think to myself that someone either lost a job, or
lost an opportunity to a job.
I guess that would come from being older.
That is exactly why I don't go there much anymore.

Maybe technically. But in practice you really can usually just walk out the door.

There’s been a few times I’ve walked out of my Walmart and the rent-a-guard at the door asked to see my receipt and I said “nope” cause I didn’t feel like stopping. I wasn’t shoplifting, I just didn’t want to take the time to stop.

It’s not like they’d dare try to physically stop you or anything.
False.

There are a lot of places doing this these days. Most in my area haven’t gone completely cashier-free, but they’re close to it.

I’ve made it very clear to managers at Big Y, Walmart, Home Depot, and BJs that if/when I stop being able to use a cashier, they will no longer see me in their store, even if it costs me more money to go elsewhere.
Why do you think they care?

I left eight years ago and it was getting difficult to find trucks or trailers out of the state then. I think the exodus has accelerated since then.
Glad you escaped. My daughter was out there for a while a little over a year ago........Was paying $2000 a month for a 1 bedroom apartment that was a complex made out of cinder block..........Fires eventually got them to move....

She is in Texas now.

Again, PROFITS are soaring - "inflation" is just old-fashioned price-gouging.
Inflation is when you shut down the world economy......destroy the supply side.........then spend trillions of dollars you don't have for a plannedemic with a high survival rate.......Then deny cheap drugs which would have ended it.

Inflation is a tax on EVERYONE.......and your side being the LOCUST YOU ARE HAVE TAXED THE SHIT OUT OF EVERYONE.

40 year high...........GOOD JOB LOSER.

Glad you escaped. My daughter was out there for a while a little over a year ago........Was paying $2000 a month for a 1 bedroom apartment that was a complex made out of cinder block..........Fires eventually got them to move....

She is in Texas now.
The other half's family had been family farming in CA for over 100 years--large family, over 50 members from the original couple. All have left except for about 10 who still reside on the original farms.

The reason I like the real cashiers is that I like to see people gainfully employed.
When I see the kiosks, I always think to myself that someone either lost a job, or
lost an opportunity to a job.
I guess that would come from being older.
I prefer to use the self-checkout when I go to Walmart, but refuse to use them at Costco. Publix does not give you a self-checkout aisle. But Home Depot does. So does Lowes.

How so? Have you tried? no one’s tried to prevent me from continuing to walk out after refusing to stop.

I don’t feel bad cause I know I didn’t steal anything. They don’t have the right to randomly stop me at the exit
If they suspect you stole something and have a suspicion..yes the asset protection people will stop you.

Walmart can ask to check your receipt when you leave the store. In fact, they very often do due to significant revenue losses caused by theft.

However, you are not obligated to show your receipt, and Walmart associates cannot take any further action if you refuse to show your receipt.

The only exception to this is if the associate has reasonable suspicion to believe that you shoplifted an item or items from the store. If they do have reasonable suspicion, you may be detained.

…..and since they have no reasonable reason to suspect me of shoplifting, I do not have to submit to their receipt-checks if I don’t want to. And let’s be honest, these guards don’t have what it takes to enforce stopping people at the door. I’ve worked the door at bars and at gentleman’s clubs and these Walmart guards are not exactly bouncers.

If they suspect you stole something and have a suspicion..yes the asset protection people will stop you.
Fine, yes the store detectives….. if I’m legit acting suspicious, yes they’ll stop me.

The security guard randomly checking receipts at the exit? Nope.

Forum List

Back