What if a Jewish baker refused to create a Hitler cake?

Putting Hitler on the cake falls under free speech. Anyone can refuse. Now if a KKK member walks in and wants a regular cake, you cannot refuse. It's really that simple.
What if the local KKK chapter wants you to cater an event in a clearing in the woods, at night?
Well unless you're catering company normally caters events in clearings in the woods at night you shouldn't have a problem. :cool:
According to the law, can such a thing happen? I think so. If a Christian business owner is forced to do something to celebrate a lifestyle he/she opposes, why could not a Black Southern Baptist be forced to cater a KKK gathering?

It's a legitimate question. Do you think a Black Southern Baptist run caterer can be force to cater a KKK event?

Your original analogy had the black caterer going out into the woods in the middle of the night to a cross burning. In that scenario, the black has legitimate concern for his personal safety, and would be entirely within his rights to refuse.

However, if you are talking about a KKK inbred family reunion on a Saturday afternoon, then the black caterer must provide his services. But those services do not extend beyond what he offers everyone else. So there will be no creating a cake with a lynched negro on it. Just the usual fare.

YoungHitler.jpg

Putting Hitler on the cake falls under free speech. Anyone can refuse. Now if a KKK member walks in and wants a regular cake, you cannot refuse. It's really that simple.
What if the local KKK chapter wants you to cater an event in a clearing in the woods, at night?
Well unless you're catering company normally caters events in clearings in the woods at night you shouldn't have a problem. :cool:
According to the law, can such a thing happen? I think so. If a Christian business owner is forced to do something to celebrate a lifestyle he/she opposes, why could not a Black Southern Baptist be forced to cater a KKK gathering?

Depends. Are bigots a protected class in that local jurisdiction?

It's a legitimate question. Do you think a Black Southern Baptist run caterer can be force to cater a KKK event?

Your original analogy had the black caterer going out into the woods in the middle of the night to a cross burning. In that scenario, the black has legitimate concern for his personal safety, and would be entirely within his rights to refuse.

However, if you are talking about a KKK inbred family reunion on a Saturday afternoon, then the black caterer must provide his services. But those services do not extend beyond what he offers everyone else. So there will be no creating a cake with a lynched negro on it. Just the usual fare.
Not if you advertise that you will create a custom cake with whatever wording or images you want on it.

If a member of the KKK walks in to your store and says "I want a cake with a brown person hanging from a tree on it for my KKK party" you can say no. Because that falls under free speech. If he then says "okay then can I just get a regular cake for my party," then you have to bake him a cake.

I can think of many hundreds of millions of people who wouldn't want to put Hitler's face on a cake, not just Jews, but if that's what you do for a living, make the cake. Problem solved.

So, Muslims should make cakes that mock their god? Gays should make cakes with anti-gay messages on them? Everyone gives up their beliefs and self-respect when they open a business.

If a member of the KKK walks in to your store and says "I want a cake with a brown person hanging from a tree on it for my KKK party" you can say no. Because that falls under free speech. If he then says "okay then can I just get a regular cake for my party," then you have to bake him a cake.
So a gay couple that requests a wedding cake that has two men on top of it can be denied service, but if they just request a cake off the shelf, they cannot? Somehow, I don't think that's going to fly.

Not if you advertise that you will create a custom cake with whatever wording or images you want on it.

1. What if a Jewish baker refused to create a Hitler cake?

Is he refusing to bake it for anyone - or just Nazis?

Just Nazis.
So he makes Nazi cakes for everybody else, eh?

Yup.

But here's the scenario that best parallels the one in question....

What if a Nazi demanded a Jewish baker cater a party celebrating the Holocaust?

From 08-09 .. their kid was named AHC

The [Campbell] family made headlines when a ShopRite supermarket in Greenwich, near the family’s home in Holland Township in west-central New Jersey, refused to decorate a birthday cake with their son’s name.

A Wal-Mart in Pennsylvania wound up decorating the cake….

old story redeaux by a RW'r

From 08-09 .. their kid was named AHC

The [Campbell] family made headlines when a ShopRite supermarket in Greenwich, near the family’s home in Holland Township in west-central New Jersey, refused to decorate a birthday cake with their son’s name.

A Wal-Mart in Pennsylvania wound up decorating the cake….

old story redeaux by a RW'r

Exciting trivia! Completely irrelevant. Now focus!

I can think of many hundreds of millions of people who wouldn't want to put Hitler's face on a cake, not just Jews, but if that's what you do for a living, make the cake. Problem solved.

So, Muslims should make cakes that mock their god? Gays should make cakes with anti-gay messages on them? Everyone gives up their beliefs and self-respect when they open a business.

Muslims must be forced to cater events where the theme is to ridicule Mohommed.

Forum List

Back