Which "side" of the "fence" are you on?

That's because just like the dumb-ass cracka protests, they often disintegrate into riot. Pushme-Pullyu.

I am so sick of this fucking race shit, to the point of highly recommending wood shampoos, curb sandwiches and significant jail time for all participants.

Frankly, we have important national matters to attend to. Wasting time on such crap is completely asinine.
This is a national problem. Blacks try to have a peaceful march in Ferguson and the militarized police come out in force and create a riot. They did the same thing in Baltimore. White supremacists stage a march in Charlotesville, cops treat it like a company picnic.

This latest incident violent incident in Charlottesville is once again illustrating how our divisions are increasing, and how the "sides" of the "fence" are becoming more clear.

On one side of the fence, we have the people who appear to think they're "accomplishing" something by screaming at, verbally attacking, insulting, blaming, and now, finally, physically attacking and even KILLING those who dare to disagree with them. Attack, attack, attack, no matter what.

Their political affiliations are irrelevant, because their behaviors are so similar. They would much rather scream than communicate. They would much rather attack than heal. They would much rather "beat" those who dare to disagree than find a way to co-exist with them like normal, well-adjusted adults.

On the other side of the fence is the majority of the country, those who know that the only way to solve problems is to communicate and cooperate. That you're not always going to get your way. That sometimes you have to be a little humble, check your ego, and respect differing opinions. And that -- horror of horrors -- you may actually be wrong about something now and then.

So, which side of the fence are you on?
I've not seen any of the coverage of this story at all. Been busy all weekend but I suspect the two sides you described are innacurate descriptions at best.
As too the violent people? Fuck them. Arrest & charge them. A dirtbag is a dirtbag no matter affiliation
Predictably, it's been a mirror image of the softball field shooting.

One side is screaming, the other is deflecting.

I've not seen any of the coverage of this story at all. Been busy all weekend but I suspect the two sides you described are innacurate descriptions at best.
As too the violent people? Fuck them. Arrest & charge them. A dirtbag is a dirtbag no matter affiliation
Since you haven't seen any coverage, I'll let you know that the Rams won.

That's because just like the dumb-ass cracka protests, they often disintegrate into riot. Pushme-Pullyu.

I am so sick of this fucking race shit, to the point of highly recommending wood shampoos, curb sandwiches and significant jail time for all participants.

Frankly, we have important national matters to attend to. Wasting time on such crap is completely asinine.
This is a national problem. Blacks try to have a peaceful march in Ferguson and the militarized police come out in force and create a riot. They did the same thing in Baltimore. White supremacists stage a march in Charlotesville, cops treat it like a company picnic.

Horseshit. The cops were told to stand down in Ferguson and Baltimore, and did. It's documented. I suspect the same in Charlottesville. It plays both ways.

I'd like to think we're better than that, and I certainly think this country has seen more civilized times internally. There are too many people with a vested professional interest in keeping us divided and angry at each other, and it's definitely working.

Dude, I usually treat you with kid gloves because you are such a pompous fool.

But hey, I've lived through times where we had massive riots in the streets, where domestic terrorists groups like the SLA and Weather Underground blew people up, and where things really seemed to be going to hell in a handbasket more than they are now.

What happened yesterday was awful... probably made worse by a president who has openly encouraged that kind of hateful rhetoric. but you all need to get over yourself.

I'd like to think we're better than that, and I certainly think this country has seen more civilized times internally. There are too many people with a vested professional interest in keeping us divided and angry at each other, and it's definitely working.

Dude, I usually treat you with kid gloves because you are such a pompous fool.

But hey, I've lived through times where we had massive riots in the streets, where domestic terrorists groups like the SLA and Weather Underground blew people up, and where things really seemed to be going to hell in a handbasket more than they are now.
The 1960's problems started because of a bad war, fighting to get us out was a good cause, to many young men forced to fight & die. as usual many people went overboard, other voiceless people used the mass hysteria to promote there own agenda. is that what is happening again?

What happened yesterday was awful... probably made worse by a president who has openly encouraged that kind of hateful rhetoric. but you all need to get over yourself.[/

the problem what is PC? why is a statue of a civil war general bad? do we deny that there was a war? is it a negative reminder of what can happen when we cant find solutions.?

After watching a bit of coverage with video about this I KNOW you labeled this wrong Mac.

The video I've seen makes it clear BOTH sides came prepared to fight. Both sides should be arrested for the assaults committed.
Neonazis suck.
Antifia fags suck.
FUCK THEM BOTH

Trump did condemn but should have been more direct as i just was above to prevent the media from crying about his statement.

I am on the side of freedom, self reliance, individual responsibility, justice and the Constitution. One person's right to swing their fist ends at the tip of another person's nose.

The side that most opposes me denies rights, freedoms, personhood and Constitutional protections to children in the womb and they have the blood of those children killed so far, on their hands.

Frankly, I am surprised this nation hasn't already reached it's ultimate boiling point before now.

This latest incident violent incident in Charlottesville is once again illustrating how our divisions are increasing, and how the "sides" of the "fence" are becoming more clear.

On one side of the fence, we have the people who appear to think they're "accomplishing" something by screaming at, verbally attacking, insulting, blaming, and now, finally, physically attacking and even KILLING those who dare to disagree with them. Attack, attack, attack, no matter what.

Their political affiliations are irrelevant, because their behaviors are so similar. They would much rather scream than communicate. They would much rather attack than heal. They would much rather "beat" those who dare to disagree than find a way to co-exist with them like normal, well-adjusted adults.

On the other side of the fence is the majority of the country, those who know that the only way to solve problems is to communicate and cooperate. That you're not always going to get your way. That sometimes you have to be a little humble, check your ego, and respect differing opinions. And that -- horror of horrors -- you may actually be wrong about something now and then.

There are not two sides.

We are a fractured nation. That I condemn the scum in Charlottesville who marched under the flag of a vile and murderous regime, but that in no way means I fail to see that the other side is just as vile and promotes the murderous ideal of Stalin.

You speak of the middle, but there is no middle. Our lying news media feeds us too much propaganda for any common ground to exist. I know that we can't always get our way and suffered through 8 years of Obama's relentless assault on our Constitution and personal liberty. But the left will not do the same. Armed with the little Goebbels of the MSM, the supposed left middle refused to accept the election results and have staged no end of attacks, leading to the idiocy yesterday.

I am a strong proponent of discussion and agreeing to disagree. Coming to a compromise is difficult, even with level headed people that are firmly entrenched in their beliefs.

When it reaches this level, unfortunately, a fight to the death can be the deciding factor. It happens often in nature. Obviously, we view ourselves as above all other animals, so, we should know better... but sometimes nature takes over. The ID lives.
Coming to a compromise is difficult, even with level headed people that are firmly entrenched in their beliefs.

I don't agree with that assertion. Without exception, every temperate and prudent person with whom I've interacted -- personally and professionally -- recognizes that their position need not be one of "all or nothing;" thus they strive sincerely for genuinely win-win solutions. Every rube I've encounters, all of whom are indolently pusillanimous SOBs, on the other hand, dastardly conceive and construe everything binarily.
The problem is that your second group is the one that is the loudest and therefore attracts the most attention and influence.

Here's what really worries me: This in anecdotal only, but as part of my profession I speak at a fairly in-depth level with a lot of people I haven't met before. And it just seems like more and more often, some switch goes off, and they go off on a very binary, partisan tangent. They use words and phrases that you'd hear on conservative talk radio or left wing website.

And look at what is happening in popular culture: There is now nowhere to go to escape partisan politics, for a moment or two.

I could be wrong on that, but it just seems to me that this behavior is beginning to infect a larger percentage of our population.
it just seems like more and more often, some switch goes off, and they go off on a very binary, partisan tangent.

I've observed that too, but only among youngsters -- people ranging from 9th graders to college undergraduate degree seekers. I have occasion to observe it among that segment of society only a few times a year, and that only because I have for the past nearly decade consistently served as a speaker in "career day" and/or "preparing for college" seminars/discussions. Not all the audience members exhibit binary thinking, but enough of them do that I've come to expect I'll encounter it at each event.

Frankly, I'm not shocked, per se, or even dismayed to see binary thinking -- particularly the unilateral form of it whereby they hear something that isn't presented in binary terms, yet they infer binary meaning of the remark -- from junior high school kids for they are novice enough that thinking with more rigor than that is something they haven't really mastered. Among high school students and collegians, it's a different matter.

I can't say I've ever encountered similarly jejune thought processes among my personal and professional peers, friends and associates. I may have, but not often enough or in such egregious form that it sticks out in my mind.

I could be wrong on that, but it just seems to me that this behavior is beginning to infect a larger percentage of our population.

I think you are correct that poor quality comprehension and analysis is pervasive among a material share of the U.S. population. What is not clear to me is whether the existential abundance of irrationality among the populace is indeed new. I'm not sure of how long this has been so for the following reasons:
  • The Internet makes it possible to have at least an anecdotal/circumstantial awareness of a considerably more diverse slice of the population than one -- that is, one who wouldn't routinely encounter the uttered-with-apparent-seriousness remarks of hundreds of strangers -- could ever have obtained during almost the first fifty years of my life. More than ever before, people have and avail themselves of the opportunity to open their mouths and confirm they are the mental midgets that, before Twitter, Facebook, web forums, etc., in their quietude some may have suspected they were.
  • Since perhaps the sixth grade, the course of my life has made somewhat or very well known to me, almost without exception, people who are proven high achievers -- personally, professionally, academically and socially -- either by dint of their being gifted enough that it comes comparatively easily to them or on account of their working resolutely to be high achievers. I'm savvy enough to know such people surpass the performance norm; thus I cannot infer their behavior, expressions and attitudes are in large proportion shared and manifest among society as a whole. They are people who, aside from afflictions like virulent forms of cancer or other such things, achieve and overcome nearly everything to which they set their minds. They don't give up and the tacks they undertake work.
I probably never had the highest regard for the lion's share of the population, but only in the past lustrum or so have I come to perceive that even so, I may have overestimated larger swaths of my countrymen than I'd have thought possible. It is equally opportune and disconcerting to discover that may be the case.

There were not two sides. There were a bunch of wack jobs fighting while the rest of civilized America went on with their daily lives.
Neither of the group's fighting yesterday were on the side of most Americans.
No one likes Nazis and no one likes the antics of the far left. If they did Trump wouldn't be president.

There are not two sides.

We are a fractured nation. That I condemn the scum in Charlottesville who marched under the flag of a vile and murderous regime, but that in no way means I fail to see that the other side is just as vile and promotes the murderous ideal of Stalin.

You speak of the middle, but there is no middle. Our lying news media feeds us too much propaganda for any common ground to exist. I know that we can't always get our way and suffered through 8 years of Obama's relentless assault on our Constitution and personal liberty. But the left will not do the same. Armed with the little Goebbels of the MSM, the supposed left middle refused to accept the election results and have staged no end of attacks, leading to the idiocy yesterday.
Of course there's a middle, and it's larger than the two narcissistic ends combined.

Not everyone is a partisan ideologue. A majority of us are curious, decent and reasonable. Our opinions just don't obediently fall in line with those of some club that we have some need to belong to.

You've been sold a bill of goods that just isn't true. This tribal, simplistic, us vs. them crap is only good for the Division Pimps who are selling it.

Last edited:
I am a strong proponent of discussion and agreeing to disagree. Coming to a compromise is difficult, even with level headed people that are firmly entrenched in their beliefs.

When it reaches this level, unfortunately, a fight to the death can be the deciding factor. It happens often in nature. Obviously, we view ourselves as above all other animals, so, we should know better... but sometimes nature takes over. The ID lives.
Coming to a compromise is difficult, even with level headed people that are firmly entrenched in their beliefs.

I don't agree with that assertion. Without exception, every temperate and prudent person with whom I've interacted -- personally and professionally -- recognizes that their position need not be one of "all or nothing;" thus they strive sincerely for genuinely win-win solutions. Every rube I've encounters, all of whom are indolently pusillanimous SOBs, on the other hand, dastardly conceive and construe everything binarily.
The problem is that your second group is the one that is the loudest and therefore attracts the most attention and influence.

Here's what really worries me: This in anecdotal only, but as part of my profession I speak at a fairly in-depth level with a lot of people I haven't met before. And it just seems like more and more often, some switch goes off, and they go off on a very binary, partisan tangent. They use words and phrases that you'd hear on conservative talk radio or left wing website.

And look at what is happening in popular culture: There is now nowhere to go to escape partisan politics. for a moment or two.

And the more intrusive government becomes in our lives the worse this will get. Never before has the ever expansive government become so entwined into our lives. Now they increasingly decide whether we get health care or not.

This is because the life blood of politicians is division. After all, would you send your support and money to certain politicians if you thought they would all treat us the same? No, you are sending your money to those who will benefit you. You are betting the house that your vote or campaign money will benefit the group you want represented.
the more intrusive government becomes in our lives the worse this will get.

Well, someone or some entity clearly needs to "intrude" in some way(s) and to some extent(s) more so than have been so. The "osmotic approach" has clearly not been working as well as one had rather it do, and certainly not as well as I thought it was. Ruefully, I'm beginning to think most people are not best left to their own devices.

I get out of bed at half past ten
Phone up a friend, who's a party animal
Turn on the news and drink some tea
Maybe if you're with me we'll do some shopping

One day I'll read, or learn to drive a car
If you pass the test, you can beat the rest
But I don't like to compete, or talk street, street, street
I can pick up the best from the party animal

Pick up a brochure about the sun
Learn to ignore what the photographer saw
I was always told that you should join a club
Stick with the gang, if you want to belong

I was faced with a choice at a difficult age
Would I write a book? Or should I take to the stage?
But in the back of my head I heard distant feet
Che Guevara and Debussy to a disco beat
-- Christopher Lowe and Neil Tennant, Left to My Own Devices (abridged)​

And look at what is happening in popular culture: There is now nowhere to go to escape partisan politics. for a moment or two.

And the more intrusive government becomes in our lives the worse this will get.

This is because the life blood of politicians is division. After all, would you send your support and money to certain politicians if you thought they would all treat us the same? No, you are sending your money to those who will benefit you. You are betting the house that your vote or campaign money will benefit the group you want represented.
I don't think our increasing divisions are coming from the politicians - they're just puppets who are chasing campaign contributions.

This is coming from our culture, from the people who gain personally by increasing our divisions, and their flocks who implement for them.
I don't think our increasing divisions are coming from the politicians - they're just puppets who are chasing campaign contributions.

I agree. Politicians attitudes, actions and utterances these days seem more a reflection of the people than they are things issued to lead the people. There's a very good reason for being a democratic republic and not a direct democracy, but for democratic republics to thrive, politicians must lead not follow. Where we today find ourselves is in a polity of followers officially lead by followers.

don't agree with that assertion. Without exception, every temperate and prudent person with whom I've interacted -- personally and professionally -- recognizes that their position need not be one of "all or nothing;" thus they strive sincerely for genuinely win-win solutions

Perhaps level headed people are not passionate about their beliefs. Not sure. I used to be a staunch Christian and people would not view me as level headed but brainwashed. So, I guess it depends on what YOU VIEW as temperate and prudent. Again, you are limiting the field. Not every passionate Christian is a nut job crazy. Even if they feel it is their duty to try to get others to believe as they do, since they truly believe their soul depends on it.
Perhaps level headed people are not passionate about their beliefs. Not sure.

They are. They just aren't vulgar and overbearing in their pursuit of them.

And look at what is happening in popular culture: There is now nowhere to go to escape partisan politics, for a moment or two.

it just seems like more and more often, some switch goes off, and they go off on a very binary, partisan tangent.

I've observed that too, but only among youngsters -- people ranging from 9th graders to college undergraduate degree seekers. I have occasion to observe it among that segment of society only a few times a year, and that only because I have for the past nearly decade consistently served as a speaker in "career day" and/or "preparing for college" seminars/discussions. Not all the audience members exhibit binary thinking, but enough of them do that I've come to expect I'll encounter it at each event.

Frankly, I'm not shocked, per se, or even dismayed to see binary thinking -- particularly the unilateral form of it whereby they hear something that isn't presented in binary terms, yet they infer binary meaning of the remark -- from junior high school kids for they are novice enough that thinking with more rigor than that is something they haven't really mastered. Among high school students and collegians, it's a different matter.

I can't say I've ever encountered similarly jejune thought processes among my personal and professional peers, friends and associates. I may have, but not often enough or in such egregious form that it sticks out in my mind.

I think you are correct that poor quality comprehension and analysis is pervasive among a material share of the U.S. population. What is not clear to me is whether the existential abundance of irrationality among the populace is indeed new. I'm not sure of how long this has been so for the following reasons:
  • The Internet makes it possible to have at least an anecdotal/circumstantial awareness of a considerably more diverse slice of the population than one -- that is, one who wouldn't routinely encounter the uttered-with-apparent-seriousness remarks of hundreds of strangers -- could ever have obtained during almost the first fifty years of my life. More than ever before, people have and avail themselves of the opportunity to open their mouths and confirm they are the mental midgets that, before Twitter, Facebook, web forums, etc., in their quietude some may have suspected they were.
  • Since perhaps the sixth grade, the course of my life has made somewhat or very well known to me, almost without exception, people who are proven high achievers -- personally, professionally, academically and socially -- either by dint of their being gifted enough that it comes comparatively easily to them or on account of their working resolutely to be high achievers. I'm savvy enough to know such people surpass the performance norm; thus I cannot infer their behavior, expressions and attitudes are in large proportion shared and manifest among society as a whole. They are people who, aside from afflictions like virulent forms of cancer or other such things, achieve and overcome nearly everything to which they set their minds. They don't give up and the tacks they undertake work.
I probably never had the highest regard for the lion's share of the population, but only in the past lustrum or so have I come to perceive that even so, I may have overestimated larger swaths of my countrymen than I'd have thought possible. It is equally opportune and disconcerting to discover that may be the case.
I think two of the largest problems both have to do with the proliferation of the internet.

First, it has allowed intolerant ideologues (sorry, redundancy) to not only exist in their own little worlds, but to expose themselves ONLY to "facts" and "truths" with which they are comfy. That's a guaranteed way to divide ourselves into camps and to stay divided.

Second, it has fed into the narcissism of the Selfie Generation, in which anyone can be a "celebrity" and no one has to be credible. Hell, I'm doing it right now, belching out my wonderful, fabulous, worthless opinion on a message board.

This is a toxic environment, and even if some brave souls are willing to be reasonable with others, they'll always be in competition with those who want the opposite.

And the more intrusive government becomes in our lives the worse this will get.

This is coming from our culture, from the people who gain personally by increasing our divisions, and their flocks who implement for them.

There is a reason that BLM rose up when they did, it was when Obama was President. They thought to themselves, here is our chance with someone who cares who is in charge.

Likewise, Trump was elected and the white Nazis said, here is our chance.

But yea, you are right, neither party gives a damn it's all demagoguery because both parties will drag us kicking and screaming to the same place, but the perception is otherwise. The perception is that they will help our group.
you are right, neither party gives a damn it's all demagoguery because both parties will drag us kicking and screaming to the same place

That was one of Zinn's central points. I agree with it, and you in that regard.

Forum List

Back