Why do you need to carry a gun?

In our society

Security cameras and people with smartphones are more effective at fighting crime than armed citizens

So if you get shot in the street and are laying there bleeding to death, how are those cameras going to help you?

Your fantasy about shooting it out in the street is not supported by evidence. Your guns do not keep us safe
We have 300 million guns out there and still 33,000 Americans die from them

In our society

Security cameras and people with smartphones are more effective at fighting crime than armed citizens

So if you get shot in the street and are laying there bleeding to death, how are those cameras going to help you?

Your fantasy about shooting it out in the street is not supported by evidence. Your guns do not keep us safe

Yes, many of them suicides or self-inflicted wounds. Yes, I do have evidence. How many links would you like of an armed citizen saving the day? I have a whole folder of them you know.

People who walk around armed are pussies

Then so are people who use locks on their doors at night, people who buy auto and home insurance, people who have alarms on their cars.

Nope...you need a gun to feel safe, you are a pussy

No, you need a gun for equal defense against an armed attacker.

Pussy

My 88 year old mother walks around without a gun and is not the least bit scared. You needing a gun makes you a major pussy

Then so are people who use locks on their doors at night, people who buy auto and home insurance, people who have alarms on their cars.

Bullshit.
Most of us that grow up in gun free countries we have less homicide and less death and crimes than the US.
So if you travel overseas how can you sur I e without your gun ?

In our society

Yes, many of them suicides or self-inflicted wounds. Yes, I do have evidence. How many links would you like of an armed citizen saving the day? I have a whole folder of them you know.

OK
Show me 33,000 cases where an armed citizen stopped a murder and we are even

Bullshit.
Most of us that grow up in gun free countries we have less homicide and less death and crimes than the US.

Well, here's a suggestion. Either stay in your country or go back to your country.

Bullshit.

No, if you grow up in a country with no defense, you usually have more crimes just like in Europe.

In our society

OK

Why 33,000? If five people a year save their lives or the lives of others, isn't it worth it? Because you leftists live in fantasy world. You think if you disarm the good guys, the bad guys will gladly disarm with them.

Pussy

My 88 year old mother walks around without a gun and is not the least bit scared. You needing a gun makes you a major pussy

One thing for sure, you internet tough guys would never say that to my face with or without a gun. My 83 year old mother doesn't have a gun either. That doesn't mean she's just as safe as I am. I worry about her all the time.

In our society

OK

Why 33,000? If five people a year save their lives or the lives of others, isn't it worth it? Because you leftists live in fantasy world. You think if you disarm the good guys, the bad guys will gladly disarm with them.

32,995 deaths say it is not worth it

Gun owners live in a fantasy world of bad guys behind every corner, Red Dawn fighting a Russian invasion and copperheads on the way to the mailbox

Pussy

One thing for sure, you internet tough guys would never say that to my face with or without a gun. My 83 year old mother doesn't have a gun either. That doesn't mean she's just as safe as I am. I worry about her all the time.

She is not a big pussy
You on the other hand?

In our society

Indeed? Assault, rape in Fresno caught on camera

The camera caught the assault and helped to identify the perpetrator, but did nothing to prevent the crime. It did not scare the baddie off of the woman, or cause him to cease his attacks.

Cameras may help identify the baddie, but it does nothing to cease the activities that are making the individual a baddie. Rapes, Robberies, Assaults, or even murders are not prevented by the security camera.

There are thousands, tens of thousands of incidents like the one above. To listen to you, we should cheer that that poor woman was brutalized and raped. After all, it was all caught on camera right? I wish she had never fallen on hard times. I wish she had maintained her life before she ended up homeless. I wish that she’d been able to defend herself, even with a gun. I wish someone had come along with a gun, and shot the bastard who was doing it to her. Instead of leaving her there to die.

You may count that incident a victory, solid video evidence of his barbarities. I do not.

The camera, like the police themselves, only come into play after the incident is long over. The rape, murder, assault, or robbery is history before the camera, or cops get involved. Years later, that video might help get the baddie convicted, but by then, what good will it do you?

The gun you so despise, can give you a fighting chance to avoid the assault, robbery, or rape, or even murder. At the least, it has the potential of leveling the playing field.

Imagine this. You are in a store, and it is robbed by a man determined to eliminate witnesses. Not unheard of to be sure. Your life is now hanging on the toss of a twelve sided die. Your number must come up for you to have a chance to live. But that chance increased because you have become used to looking around, and being aware of your surroundings, so the surprise you may feel is minimal. That awareness just changed the 12 sided die, to a six sided die. Your odds of surviving just increased.

Now factor in the fact that you have been trained at great expense by the military, and in your case we’ll pretend. That six sided die just became a four sided die. Your odds just increased again. You now have one chance in four of survival.

You are armed with a weapon which you have trained with, and are extremely familiar with. Your four sided die just became a coin. Your odds are fifty fifty to survive. I won’t ever claim it is certain. It isn’t. The gun is not a magic wand. It does not give you magical protections. It is a tool. A tool that takes time, and practice, to competently wield and utilize. But even in the worst case scenario, it can increase your odds dramatically.

Like your car. You have a seatbelt, airbags, and designed crumple zones to increase the odds that you will survive in an accident. It is no guarantee, which is why highway deaths are always so high. You increase those odds of survival by driving carefully, obeying the speed limit, and being aware of traffic around you. Everything that you do, or is part of the car, affects the odds of your survival. Lowering the speed of the crash is the biggest factor, and for that to come into play, you have to see the events in time to try and minimize the severity.

There is no guarantee that those airbags and all that will save your life, or the lives of your passengers. But it increases the odds of your survival, and theirs. And isn’t that all we are trying to do? Reduce the odds of you dying needlessly.

Not long ago, I walked to the mailbox, and along my route I saw a Copperhead snake. For those who are uninformed about this particular snake, it is venomous. A healthy adult probably will not die from the bite, providing that they receive medical attention promptly. However, children, and elderly, will find the bite far more deadly. Not to mention pets. Everyone on my street has dogs, and I have cats as well. Additionally my neighbor is in his 80’s, and he would probably find the bite life threatening.

So this snake was a danger to my pets, my neighbors, and the children who live a quarter mile away.

I pulled the pistol I habitually carry, and shot the snake. I was in my yard, in my neighborhood, if you can call it a neighborhood to live in such a rural area. Yet I was armed, because this is not the first wildlife threat I’ve found myself facing. We also have Wild Boar, which are very aggressive and potentially dangerous or deadly. Coyotes are heard from time to time as they roam along the wooded areas that take up a vast majority of the space out here.

I did not go looking for the snake. I did not go out of my way searching for it. I found it on my normal path, walking to the mailbox in my rural area, on my land. In my yard, the area with grass and such.

So why carry a gun? Because if I had to turn around and rush to the house to get the pistol, the snake may have moved, and been difficult, or impossible to locate. Perhaps he would have returned to the woods, where I sometimes walk, to check the property, but never in a hunting frame of mind. That snake might have bitten my dog, my cats, or my neighbors pets. It might have bitten my neighbor, the old man who has his mailbox positioned next to mine. It might have bitten a child. The best you could hope for is an expensive trip to the Emergency Room, sucking your cash out to pay for the care you would need to minimize the danger.

There is much truth in the old saying. It is better to have, and not need, than to need and not have. There are. Probably a dozen more Copperheads within two hundred yards of where I sit. In the woods, or marshy areas. Hunting and living, and just as much of a danger to the neighborhood as the one I shot. I did not break the law. In Georgia, you can kill venomous snakes, but not non venomous snakes. The experts tell you to take two steps back, and run away if you come across one. That is not my way. It leaves the problem for another. It leaves the danger for my 80 year old neighbor, his dog, or the dogs two doors down who meander over to say hello now and then.

It leaves the danger for the children, who ride their bikes up and down the dirt road.

So why do you need to carry a gun? Because there are more dangers than the odd robbery, or attempted murder. Because the world is filled with threats, two legged, four legged, and even no legs at all. With a gun, you have a much better chance of survival than without. With a gun, you do not guarantee survival, but you increase your odds dramatically.

Yes, accidents are going to happen, just as they do with cars and drivers. Yes, people are going to use the gun to criminally harm another. And yes, people who have guns are going to die before they can get the thing into play. I didn’t say it was a miracle answer, I just said it increases your odds of survival. No one can guarantee your safety or protection. The best that they, or I, can do is give you a fighting chance at survival. Be it from a Copperhead, or a Shitheaded thug. If you choose to take no action to protect yourself, that is your choice, and I’ll respect it. But do not try and take that right from others, because I won’t respect that.
You could have turned around and walked away
The snake would have gone on its way

Thank you.

That snake didn't have to die.

All he needed to do was as you said turn and walk away. Then call the proper authorities to come to remove the snake.

I will never understand why people believe they have to kill living beings like that. That snake wasn't hurting anyone. It could have been relocated to a safe place without killing it.

In our society

The camera caught the assault and helped to identify the perpetrator, but did nothing to prevent the crime. It did not scare the baddie off of the woman, or cause him to cease his attacks.

Cameras may help identify the baddie, but it does nothing to cease the activities that are making the individual a baddie. Rapes, Robberies, Assaults, or even murders are not prevented by the security camera.

There are thousands, tens of thousands of incidents like the one above. To listen to you, we should cheer that that poor woman was brutalized and raped. After all, it was all caught on camera right? I wish she had never fallen on hard times. I wish she had maintained her life before she ended up homeless. I wish that she’d been able to defend herself, even with a gun. I wish someone had come along with a gun, and shot the bastard who was doing it to her. Instead of leaving her there to die.

You may count that incident a victory, solid video evidence of his barbarities. I do not.

The camera, like the police themselves, only come into play after the incident is long over. The rape, murder, assault, or robbery is history before the camera, or cops get involved. Years later, that video might help get the baddie convicted, but by then, what good will it do you?

The gun you so despise, can give you a fighting chance to avoid the assault, robbery, or rape, or even murder. At the least, it has the potential of leveling the playing field.

Imagine this. You are in a store, and it is robbed by a man determined to eliminate witnesses. Not unheard of to be sure. Your life is now hanging on the toss of a twelve sided die. Your number must come up for you to have a chance to live. But that chance increased because you have become used to looking around, and being aware of your surroundings, so the surprise you may feel is minimal. That awareness just changed the 12 sided die, to a six sided die. Your odds of surviving just increased.

Now factor in the fact that you have been trained at great expense by the military, and in your case we’ll pretend. That six sided die just became a four sided die. Your odds just increased again. You now have one chance in four of survival.

You are armed with a weapon which you have trained with, and are extremely familiar with. Your four sided die just became a coin. Your odds are fifty fifty to survive. I won’t ever claim it is certain. It isn’t. The gun is not a magic wand. It does not give you magical protections. It is a tool. A tool that takes time, and practice, to competently wield and utilize. But even in the worst case scenario, it can increase your odds dramatically.

Like your car. You have a seatbelt, airbags, and designed crumple zones to increase the odds that you will survive in an accident. It is no guarantee, which is why highway deaths are always so high. You increase those odds of survival by driving carefully, obeying the speed limit, and being aware of traffic around you. Everything that you do, or is part of the car, affects the odds of your survival. Lowering the speed of the crash is the biggest factor, and for that to come into play, you have to see the events in time to try and minimize the severity.

There is no guarantee that those airbags and all that will save your life, or the lives of your passengers. But it increases the odds of your survival, and theirs. And isn’t that all we are trying to do? Reduce the odds of you dying needlessly.
Thé bad guys know they will not get away with it. A camera somewhere will capture them or their vehicle. Along with DNA....There is no perfect crime anymore

The bad guys do not fear your guns.....it is the cost of doing business

The camera is a bigger deterrent than your gun

Not long ago, I walked to the mailbox, and along my route I saw a Copperhead snake. For those who are uninformed about this particular snake, it is venomous. A healthy adult probably will not die from the bite, providing that they receive medical attention promptly. However, children, and elderly, will find the bite far more deadly. Not to mention pets. Everyone on my street has dogs, and I have cats as well. Additionally my neighbor is in his 80’s, and he would probably find the bite life threatening.

So this snake was a danger to my pets, my neighbors, and the children who live a quarter mile away.

I pulled the pistol I habitually carry, and shot the snake. I was in my yard, in my neighborhood, if you can call it a neighborhood to live in such a rural area. Yet I was armed, because this is not the first wildlife threat I’ve found myself facing. We also have Wild Boar, which are very aggressive and potentially dangerous or deadly. Coyotes are heard from time to time as they roam along the wooded areas that take up a vast majority of the space out here.

I did not go looking for the snake. I did not go out of my way searching for it. I found it on my normal path, walking to the mailbox in my rural area, on my land. In my yard, the area with grass and such.

So why carry a gun? Because if I had to turn around and rush to the house to get the pistol, the snake may have moved, and been difficult, or impossible to locate. Perhaps he would have returned to the woods, where I sometimes walk, to check the property, but never in a hunting frame of mind. That snake might have bitten my dog, my cats, or my neighbors pets. It might have bitten my neighbor, the old man who has his mailbox positioned next to mine. It might have bitten a child. The best you could hope for is an expensive trip to the Emergency Room, sucking your cash out to pay for the care you would need to minimize the danger.

There is much truth in the old saying. It is better to have, and not need, than to need and not have. There are. Probably a dozen more Copperheads within two hundred yards of where I sit. In the woods, or marshy areas. Hunting and living, and just as much of a danger to the neighborhood as the one I shot. I did not break the law. In Georgia, you can kill venomous snakes, but not non venomous snakes. The experts tell you to take two steps back, and run away if you come across one. That is not my way. It leaves the problem for another. It leaves the danger for my 80 year old neighbor, his dog, or the dogs two doors down who meander over to say hello now and then.

It leaves the danger for the children, who ride their bikes up and down the dirt road.

So why do you need to carry a gun? Because there are more dangers than the odd robbery, or attempted murder. Because the world is filled with threats, two legged, four legged, and even no legs at all. With a gun, you have a much better chance of survival than without. With a gun, you do not guarantee survival, but you increase your odds dramatically.

Yes, accidents are going to happen, just as they do with cars and drivers. Yes, people are going to use the gun to criminally harm another. And yes, people who have guns are going to die before they can get the thing into play. I didn’t say it was a miracle answer, I just said it increases your odds of survival. No one can guarantee your safety or protection. The best that they, or I, can do is give you a fighting chance at survival. Be it from a Copperhead, or a Shitheaded thug. If you choose to take no action to protect yourself, that is your choice, and I’ll respect it. But do not try and take that right from others, because I won’t respect that.
You could have turned around and walked away
The snake would have gone on its way

Thank you.

That snake didn't have to die.

All he needed to do was as you said turn and walk away. Then call the proper authorities to come to remove the snake.

I will never understand why people believe they have to kill living beings like that. That snake wasn't hurting anyone. It could have been relocated to a safe place without killing it.
I lived in Arizona for quite a while and occasionally encountered rattlesnakes.
The advice of the locals was just leave them alone. If they are in your house, call someone to remove them
Same goes for alligators in the south. People do not go around shooting every alligator they see

Shooting a copperhead on your way to the mailbox is cowardly

In our society

Thé bad guys know they will not get away with it. A camera somewhere will capture them or their vehicle. Along with DNA....There is no perfect crime anymore

The bad guys do not fear your guns.....it is the cost of doing business

The camera is a bigger deterrent than your gun

Oh please, we have cameras everywhere now. It doesn't stop anybody from murder. In fact in many cases, the video is played on the news. Only in liberal land would somebody actually believe that a criminal is more scared of a camera than getting their brains blown out by the victim.

Pussy

She is not a big pussy
You on the other hand?

She's scared to death of guns and is a very religious woman, that's why. It has nothing to do with courage.

OK

32,995 deaths say it is not worth it

Gun owners live in a fantasy world of bad guys behind every corner, Red Dawn fighting a Russian invasion and copperheads on the way to the mailbox

Why is it talking to a liberal is like talking to a brick wall? What don't you understand about we can never get rid of guns in this country? All we can do is disarm the good people. That only makes things worse.

Forum List

Back