Why do you vote for your side?

Circle_Breaker

Jan 20, 2014
I would like to have a civilized discussion, but on this board I'm guessing the trolls will be out by the end of the first page. Please tell me why you vote republican or democrat, and I'm looking for pro party reasons, not anti-the other party propaganda.

I'll start, I'm a 23 year old white male who just graduated from a liberal arts college in Virginia (born and raised) and will be moving to Colorado in 3 weeks.

I've always voted republican for these reasons

1) I was raised republican by my father, I would lying if I denied my upbringing as a conservative has not influenced my voting

2) I believe in a smaller federal government , I personally believe that the federal governments should be kept as small as possible. I'll never understand why a bunch of big wigs in the New England and Washington make decisions and regulations that severely affect places like Kentucky or Oregon. Let Kentucky run Kentucky the ways it's people like and let Colorado run Colorado they way it's people like. The federal government should only be used for Nation wide infrastructure and defense.

3) I don't care about most social issues, Abortion, gay marriage, religion, weed, I personally don't care about any of it and wish that the government would stay out of it completely. I smoke weed on a regular bases in Virginia, so legalizing doesn't really change anything for me. I'm not gay, but I've had a gay roommate since sophomore year in college, I've never seen him be discriminated against and he has no intention of marrying so i couldn't care less about those issues. As for abortion I don't like the idea of killing a helpless child, but if i got my girlfriend pregnant tomorrow and the day after pill doesn't work, then ill be thanking the Lord for abortions.
Personally i think economic issues are much more important then social issues so they really don't sway my votes.

4) I feel that I am realistic about helping the poor, There will always be poor people, every society that has ever existed, that has a population of over 1000 people has had different classes. Yes we have poor people, we will always have poor people. I don't believe in taking from rich and giving to the poor, because in the end you end with everyone being poor.
The only thing that we can do is to raise the standard of living to the point that being poor doesn't matter and give the lower classes the opportunity to climb the ladder. I believe the best way to raise the standard of living is through technology and the best way to develop technology is with profit incentives, so mark be down as pro-business anti-regulation.

So what are your reasons?

Last edited:
So what are you're reasons?[/QUOTE]

I have to choose the side that I think will harm I and my family the least. Democrats want to at least act like they like a working man, so they get my vote most of the time.

Well that and because we don't have a viable third party. Yet.

I vote republican because no matter how bad they are democrats are too horrible to contemplate.

What do repiblicans do better then democrats?

Have you been paying attention for the last 5 years? Name one thing the obama administration has done right.

Oh Ernie. Ima gonna name you TWO things.

Beat McCain/Palin. Thank God.. Beat what's his name? You know, that fake guy from Mass. His running mate was Howdy Dooty. Oh I got it. Mittens Romney. He beat Mitt.

There you go ernie. Two things Obama and his gang have done right. Or to the right. Whatever.

I vote republican because no matter how bad they are democrats are too horrible to contemplate.

What do republicans do better then democrats?

Have you been paying attention for the last 5 years? Name one thing the obama administration has done right.

Expanded Stem Cell Research
Helped turn around the Auto Industry
Passed Credit Card Reforms
repealed don't ask don't tell

Thats about it.

Beat McCain/Palin. Thank God.. Beat what's his name? You know, that fake guy from Mass. His running mate was Howdy Dooty. Oh I got it. Mittens Romney. He beat Mitt.

There you go ernie. Two things Obama and his gang have done right. Or to the right. Whatever.

Yes he is a great campaigner, no one is denying that. It's sad the good speech is more influential then a good resume.

Yes he is a great campaigner, no one is denying that. It's sad the good speech is more influential then a good resume.

No circle. What is sad is that the aforementioned Repubs were the best the Repubs could offer in a Presidential contest.

Just think circle. If the republicans had offered any decent candidate, we wouldn't have ever had an Obama.

I would like to have a civilized discussion, but on this board I'm guessing the trolls will be out by the end of the first page. Please tell me why you vote republican or democrat, and I'm looking for pro party reasons, not anti-the other party propaganda.

I'll start, I'm a 23 year old white male who just graduated from a liberal arts college in Virginia (born and raised) and will be moving to Colorado in 3 weeks.

1) I was raised republican by my father, I would lying if I denied my upbringing as a conservative has not influenced my voting

2) I believe in a smaller federal government , I personally believe that the federal governments should be kept as small as possible. I'll never understand why a bunch of big wigs in the New England and Washington make decisions and regulations that severely affect places like Kentucky or Oregon. Let Kentucky run Kentucky the ways it's people like and let Colorado run Colorado they way it's people like. The federal government should only be used for Nation wide infrastructure and defense.

3) I don't care about most social issues, Abortion, gay marriage, religion, weed, I personally don't care about any of it and wish that the government would stay out of it completely. I smoke weed on a regular bases in Virginia, so legalizing doesn't really change anything for me. I'm not gay, but I've had a gay roommate since sophomore year in college, I've never seen him be discriminated against and he has no intention of marrying so i couldn't care less about those issues. As for abortion I don't like the idea of killing a helpless child, but if i got my girlfriend pregnant tomorrow and the day after pill doesn't work, then ill be thanking the Lord for abortions.
Personally i think economic issues are much more important then social issues so they really don't sway my votes.

4) I feel that I am realistic about helping the poor, There will always be poor people, every society that has ever existed, that has a population of over 1000 people has had different classes. Yes we have poor people, we will always have poor people. I don't believe in taking from rich and giving to the poor, because in the end you end with everyone being poor.
The only thing that we can do is to raise the standard of living to the point that being poor doesn't matter and give the lower classes the opportunity to climb the ladder. I believe the best way to raise the standard of living is through technology and the best way to develop technology is with profit incentives, so mark be down as pro-business anti-regulation.

I'm from Colorado. Welcome in advance.

1) 53 year old white male.
2) Grew up in California but have lived in 7 states including New Jersey so I have some knowledge of the west and east coasts as well as the midwest.
3) I lean towards an attitude of strong Constitutionalism and generally ally myself with Tea Party Republicans and Independents. I accept some of the Libertarian views but am in total disagreement on other issues.
4) All for small, non-intrusive government.
5) All for a sealed border with plenty of border security. I'm also for sending illegals back to their homeland (in droves if necessary).
6) I believe in speaking English in this land.
7) I don't give two hoots if homosexuals want "civil unions" that are equivalent to "marriage" but I'm fully opposed to redefining the word "marriage" simply to satisfy the selfish whims of a special interest group. I'm very opposed to their aggressive, in-your-face agenda and demands that I accept their worldview as "normal."
8) It wouldn't hurt my feelings if we abolished the Federal Reserve Bank.
9) We need to oversee the workings of the IRS so that their power is kept in check.
10) Most Federal lands should be returned to the States.
11) The Congress needs to do more to keep the Executive branch under control and in its place. Reduce "executive orders" by 95%.
12) Stop the tax and spend mentality.
13) When big business fails -- let it fail. No more huge bailouts at taxpayer expense.
14) If the Theory of Evolution is to be taught in public school then Creation Science should be taught as an alternative idea. Both are faith based beliefs.
15) I believe in a free-market economy with minimal government intrusion. Government has done much to stifle growth in technology and has scared many companies into moving overseas. That hurts jobs which hurts our economy.

I could keep going but that's a start.

Ended Iraq War
Pulling out of Afghanistan
Helping EVERYONE get healthcare
Killed OBL

2 wars BTW that Bush started.

done right....? you must live in lala land...:cuckoo:

Ended Iraq War...but left nobody there to protect the gains....now Iraq's in shambles...
Pulling out of Afghanistan....yeah after getting more of our soldiers killed than ever before...and still losing the war...
Helping EVERYONE get healthcare.....you got to be kidding....
Killed OBL...No, U.S. SEALS killed OBL....BO just gave the go-ahead....after weighing all his political options of course...and later lying about Benghazi to protect his 'big claim'...

Bush may have started the wars but BO definitely lost them....and had a losing hand in many others....Libya....Egypt....Syria....Ukraine....

I take it you are a war hawk and think there was something to loose or gain in these attacks on sovereign countries. I don't. Never should have been in those countries to begin with.

that wasn't the question....the question was which party was doing a better job of it...

BO/Dems definitely have NOT been doing a better job....BO's foreign policy is a flat out failure...

When I grew up, my mother was a strong democrat and my father was a strong republican. I can't stand either of the parties today, I think they are both shadows of their former glory. I voted democrat up until Clinton, I did not vote for Clinton the 2nd time. Now I either vote 3rd party or write in "none of the above"

So what are you're reasons?
It's easy but you won't like it. I prefer my bastards to yours, hands down. They are better for society in the long run so that's who I vote for.

Yes but why, what democratic policies are better for society in the long run?
"Long run"??
The majority of problems in our society today have been caused because of this:
unintended consequences-- "A perverse effect contrary to what was originally intended (when an intended solution makes a problem worse)"
Unintended consequences - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Let's take social security....for the long run.

The premise was when it was established NO ONE lived longer then 65!
Proof? Life expectancy at birth in 1930 was indeed only 58 for men and 62 for women, and the retirement age was 65.
Social Security History
So naturally the plan to provide a "safety net" was designed to cover those few that lived after they retired.
With the many workers supplying the money for those no longer working. But the majority on SS after 65 especially men died.
Worked well.
But today more people are living beyond 65 AND today there are less then 2.8 workers for each SS beneficiary and by 2033.. less the 2.1!

So my attitude is like the Hippocratic Oath.."first do no harm".
It has been the position of principled people like me that less is more. Feed a person a fish you find them for the day..teach them to fish and you feed them for their lifetime.
So to me it's not GOP/Democrat but which is more akin to my principles.
And for the most part the GOP wants people to be independent. Democrats want them "dependent".
And it is proven that if a person is taken care of from womb to tomb.. society will not progress.

I don't see how it's a failure. Bush got us into at least 2 wars and Obama has gotten us out of both of them and kept us out of Syria and Ukraine.

...and the Dimwit delirium surfaces....:rolleyes:

appeasement and retreat are obviously the reasons we are soooo much safer today....Iran and Russia are responding so nicely....:cuckoo:

As far as I am concerned I see no real difference between the DFL or GOP. Both parties are self serving money whores with no real interest in a functional compromising government. Both are pandering to extreme viewpoints and are puppets to special interests and Super PACs.

Fuck em both. I vote Libertarian, which is the closest to my true viewpoints.

I'm from Colorado. Welcome in advance.

1) 53 year old white male.
2) Grew up in California but have lived in 7 states including New Jersey so I have some knowledge of the west and east coasts as well as the midwest.
3) I lean towards an attitude of strong Constitutionalism and generally ally myself with Tea Party Republicans and Independents. I accept some of the Libertarian views but am in total disagreement on other issues.
4) All for small, non-intrusive government.
5) All for a sealed border with plenty of border security. I'm also for sending illegals back to their homeland (in droves if necessary).
6) I believe in speaking English in this land.
7) I don't give two hoots if homosexuals want "civil unions" that are equivalent to "marriage" but I'm fully opposed to redefining the word "marriage" simply to satisfy the selfish whims of a special interest group. I'm very opposed to their aggressive, in-your-face agenda and demands that I accept their worldview as "normal."
8) It wouldn't hurt my feelings if we abolished the Federal Reserve Bank.
9) We need to oversee the workings of the IRS so that their power is kept in check.
10) Most Federal lands should be returned to the States.
11) The Congress needs to do more to keep the Executive branch under control and in its place. Reduce "executive orders" by 95%.
12) Stop the tax and spend mentality.
13) When big business fails -- let it fail. No more huge bailouts at taxpayer expense.
14) If the Theory of Evolution is to be taught in public school then Creation Science should be taught as an alternative idea. Both are faith based beliefs.
15) I believe in a free-market economy with minimal government intrusion. Government has done much to stifle growth in technology and has scared many companies into moving overseas. That hurts jobs which hurts our economy.

I could keep going but that's a start.

Thanks for the reply, its the best one so far, you actually gave your opinion.

I agree with everything except for number 8 and 14.

8) the federal reserve has too much control to ever be disbanded. It needs more regulation and shouldn't be controlled by a select few individuals as it is now, but in theory it has it's purpose.

14) as for 14, I am hesitant to demean your faith as I was raised a Christian and agree with most of its ethics and morals. But... Creation Science is not a theory, it has never reached that point of Scientific scrutiny.A theory is a well-substantiated explanation of some aspect of the natural world that is acquired through the scientific method. It is more than faith based it has scientific backing, Basically a theory is the closest thing possible to a proof. Creation Science has not reached that level yet, so it should not be taught.

In a nut shell; the left is pro socialism, pro gay marriage, and pro abortion, therefore I will never vote for the liberal left.

Forum List

Back