Why does the United States have the largest prison population in the world ?

the real question should be why are so many people criminals?
Because we evolved from birds maybe....?
0bks2eg7B.gif

It’s no secret that the U.S. incarcerates a shocking number of swaths of its own people, primarily the poor and people of color. With 2.3 million Americans currently being held in prisons, the country has the largest prison population in the world. But even as awareness of mass incarceration grows, two crucial questions remain at the heart of the debate on prison reform: Why does the U.S. imprison so many people, and how do we change our toxic approach? These are the issues Tony Platt, author of “Beyond These Walls: Rethinking Crime and Punishment in the United States,” and Truthdig Editor in Chief Robert Scheer discuss in the latest installment of “Scheer Intelligence.”

(snip)....There’s a tendency these days for people to say the United States proportionally incarcerates more people than any other country in the world. I don’t know if that’s true. I just don’t think we know what the real situation is in China and Russia, which are the big competitors in incarceration. I think the U.S. is in the ballpark; I think the U.S. is close. When you compare the U.S. with Canada or Australia or New Zealand, or France and England, then there’s no contest. There’s no other country that’s comparable to the United States in terms of its political economy that puts as many people away, that hires as many cops, and invests as much money in repression as this country does.

CONTINUED---https://www.truthdig.com/articles/the-liberal-betrayal-of-americas-most-vulnerable/

If every American had to do 30 days to get a taste of what it's like inside, we would put an end to this mass incarceration real fast. You don't realize how bad it is until it happens to someone close to you. Out of sight- out of mind....2.3 million forgotten souls living in hell.

Because Democrats are pretty much all criminals.

Because we have a lot of damn people who break the law....

Duh...

Funny how I keep reading about thousands of pounds of illegal drugs being seized often in this phony war against illegal drugs, drug use, and massive death toll numbers. Perhaps to liberals this, like our border issue, is not a crisis, nothing to it...

Duh...

Funny how I keep reading about thousands of pounds of illegal drugs being seized often in this phony war against illegal drugs, drug use, and massive death toll numbers. Perhaps to liberals this, like our border issue, is not a crisis, nothing to it...

You missed the point completely.
They didn't teach you not to judge a book by the cover in your school ?
Watch at least some of the fucking video or shut up.

Duh...

You missed the point completely.
They didn't teach you not to judge a book by the cover in your school ?

They taught me how to read, that breaking the law is bad, and how people should be held accountable.

It’s no secret that the U.S. incarcerates a shocking number of swaths of its own people, primarily the poor and people of color. With 2.3 million Americans currently being held in prisons, the country has the largest prison population in the world. But even as awareness of mass incarceration grows, two crucial questions remain at the heart of the debate on prison reform: Why does the U.S. imprison so many people, and how do we change our toxic approach? These are the issues Tony Platt, author of “Beyond These Walls: Rethinking Crime and Punishment in the United States,” and Truthdig Editor in Chief Robert Scheer discuss in the latest installment of “Scheer Intelligence.”

(snip)....There’s a tendency these days for people to say the United States proportionally incarcerates more people than any other country in the world. I don’t know if that’s true. I just don’t think we know what the real situation is in China and Russia, which are the big competitors in incarceration. I think the U.S. is in the ballpark; I think the U.S. is close. When you compare the U.S. with Canada or Australia or New Zealand, or France and England, then there’s no contest. There’s no other country that’s comparable to the United States in terms of its political economy that puts as many people away, that hires as many cops, and invests as much money in repression as this country does.

CONTINUED---https://www.truthdig.com/articles/the-liberal-betrayal-of-americas-most-vulnerable/

If every American had to do 30 days to get a taste of what it's like inside, we would put an end to this mass incarceration real fast. You don't realize how bad it is until it happens to someone close to you. Out of sight- out of mind....2.3 million forgotten souls living in hell.

There is a profit motive for moving people through our criminal justice system. One of my instructors who teaches a law class refers to it as a "revenue generating system" and all evidence seems to point to him being correct.

I love this propaganda. So which country incarcates the rich and non color?
And the US has more whites in prisons than blacks......it's like you guys have you head up your ass.

Its really not hard to use Google
BOP Statistics: Inmate Race

It’s all about making money off of prisoners. Republicans figured that out years ago. That’s why we’ve got so many.

Because we offer the most freedom and thus the most oortunity to lose it.

Maybe if they didnt break the law . that might be the answer

It’s all about making money off of prisoners. Republicans figured that out years ago. That’s why we’ve got so many.

That's true. Easy money. The hard part is corralling them in the street to take them away for no reason.

Many in there are very slow learners......in-out of jail many times.

There was a small study that was done with women in prison in Illinois. The women in prison face a different set of problems because if they have kids they are the ones that will more than likely get their children back.

At any rate, they fall into about 3 different groups. One of those groups thinks it's a party. It takes about 3 times before they start taking it seriously. That's a problem. You have to go to prison 3 times before you get it.

Why Truthdig sucks. Can't manage details.

Forum List

Back